Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 11:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

Hi Everyone,

I had the wonderful opportunity to install the Racedynamics DieselTronic Tuning Box.

I had mine installed at Autofusion, but Thouqeer.

The tuning box comes in box packaging which includes the tuning box, connector cables and a remote control in the form of a key chain. This remote may be used to select one of the four available maps, according to the driver's choice.

DieselTRONIC PRO – 4 switchable maps
Wireless security-enabled remote to switch maps on the move

P2 – Higher Power
Increase power and torque off-peak up to 40% , peak up to 30%
P1 - Power and increased mileage
Increase mileage up to 25%
Increase power and torque up to 15%
Shift gears early
E – Economy map
Increase mileage up to 40%
Enhanced engine smoothness
Reduced turbo spike, more linear power delivery
S – Stock map,
Works just like original

The installation process was pretty straightforward and a simply plug and play. It may also be removed from the vehicle when not required, giving for service or selling the vehicle.

I've just had the box for 24hrs and my current observations are as follows:

1. Vehicle jerking has reduced by 70%, i.e. when you're driving at a higher gear and had to slow down, the vehicle continues at the same gear without requiring to downshift.
2. I have been testing mostly at P1 and in this mode its been observed that one can downshift faster thus able to gain momentum quickly. Though I did not notice an increase in the pickup or acceleration.
3. One can keep the vehicle running by simply touching the accelerator which would otherwise needs to be pressed deeper.
4. I could only try P2 for a very short time and at present I can only comment that my observations are similar to P1 but to a much greater extent.

Please note these were during city riding conditions. I would have to try an empty stretch during the weekend and give you a more precise result!

I have not tried the E mode so far.

Scope for modification:

1. The unit resets when the you turn-off the vehicle, which means you have to select the mode using the remote each time you start the vehicle.
2. The remote would be better off made as a dash mountable because carrying it as a key-chain may be risky especially if it falls off. Moreover, it also affects the ergonomy because you have to "search" for the key-chain when you wish to change the mode during driving! I have found a suitable spot to fix the keychain, near the mirror adjustment controls!

I did a detailed test on NICE road today!

I first started with stock (S) mode. This is where the stock ECU map would be used and the tuning box wont interfere.

I then stopped the vehicle and set the tuning box to P1 and started off.

My typical 0-100 Kph on average is 11.24 secs on the stock. With P1 setting the average was 9.89 secs. With P2, this was 9.68 secs.

As you can see there's not much difference in the 0-100 kph range. I felt the same during driving. There is actually not much difference in the initial acceleration or engine punch but the overall torque improves significantly thus higher momentum of the vehicle. You're also able to shift the gear faster than stock, enabling you to reach the 100 kph by about 2 secs earlier.

The engine also revvs better at P2 setting.

The major difference I'd noticed especially at P1 setting is that the vehicle would still move without jerking during high gears at low speeds. Consider yourself at 4th gear at 60kph and suddenly had to brake because of a speed breaker, the speed reduced to 30 kph.

Typically if you continue without downshifting, there would be a jerking. However at P1 setting, the jerking is greatly reduced, which is why I mentioned higher torque and more momentum. The engine would also be smoother at P1 setting. I was expecting the gear stick vibration to disappear but it persisted - poor engineering of the Fortuner I guess.

I also drove the car up a slop with a gradient of 0.4-0.5 and noticed the car easily climbs in third gear while there is some jerking in 4th gear. The speed during the climb was between 30-40kph.

P2 setting is mainly useful for highway acceleration, while P1 would be useful on city traffic.

Economy setting (E) would result in a slightly lower torque and you may experience a turbo lag as well. This setting is useful for stop and go traffic.

I would strongly recommend anyone purchasing the tuning box to have the fortuner brakes upgraded because at P2 setting, the brakes are very unpredictive, i.e. you should apply the brakes well in advance than you would usually do.

The P2 setting may be risky in a fortuner if you had to brake suddenly; the higher torque would mean the vehicle may not stop as expected.

I experienced this twice.

Overall: The racedynamics dieseltronic is a very cost effective, bangalore made product. The build quality, materials and workmanship is comparable to the imported tuning boxes. They've also strived to maintain an excellent packaging.

The remote control in the form of a keychain is also of a good build quality and the buttons are easy to press.

The challenges i see are as follows:

1. Tuning box resets to stock map when the ignition is turned OFF.
2. The remote control button may have to be pressed more than once to activate the setting, maybe the wireless communication is not strong enough.
3. It would be a good idea to rebuild the remote as a dash mount unit instead of a keychain. When used as a keychain, one has to take your eyes off the road to locate the buttons. Sometimes the wireless may not be effective, if the keychain remote is hanging next to the engine keyhole. Fixing the remote using a double sided tape would result in lost aesthetics.

I had to return the tuning box as I did not feel comfortable due to the poor brakes of the fortuner. I would wait till the warranty is over and first upgrade the brakes before going for this tuning box!
Attached Thumbnails
Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image002.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image004.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image006.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image008.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image010.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image012.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image014.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image016.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image018.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image020.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image022.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image024.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image026.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image028.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-image030.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2012 at 11:28. Reason: Merging your opening post with the review post. Always more helpful that way, thanks :)
nitinbose is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 11:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

@Nitin, Wow already on your way to modding the Fortuner, this is really good as its plug and play and possibly would not void the warranty, or will it?

I see they have similar things for Petrol engines as well. How much the whole thing cost, could PM me if you wish?
Old 4th May 2012, 11:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
...and possibly would not void the warranty, or will it?

I see they have similar things for Petrol engines as well. How much the whole thing cost, could PM me if you wish?
One has to remove the box each time the vehicle is sent for service.

The MRP is INR 19,999/-
Old 4th May 2012, 15:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Get the brakes upgraded too...otherwise will be difficult to handle the extra power and torque.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 20:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Get the brakes upgraded too...otherwise will be difficult to handle the extra power and torque.
@nilanjan: Would you suggest a reputed place in bangalore where I may get the brakes upgraded? So far, I've been unsuccessful.
Old 5th May 2012, 00:49   #6
BHPian

The fortuner stock 0 to 100 timings are 15 secs + if i am not mistaken can you check the 0 to 100 timings for stock,p1 and p2 modes. also you mentioned that you have to select the desired mode every time you start the vehicle so what happens if you just start the vehicle and drive off does it stay in stock?
Old 5th May 2012, 07:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
The fortuner stock 0 to 100 timings are 15 secs +

Is it? With my stock, its about 10 secs.

if i am not mistaken can you check the 0 to 100 timings for stock,p1 and p2 modes.

Sure, will do that today!

if you just start the vehicle and drive off does it stay in stock?

Yes, its stays in stock. I've also felt the remote to be insensitive sometimes, one has to press the setting button a number of times.

I would do a more detailed test perhaps on NICE road to give more results. Please hang on.

Last edited by nitinbose : 5th May 2012 at 07:43.
Old 5th May 2012, 19:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose

I would do a more detailed test perhaps on NICE road to give more results. Please hang on.
Thanks, did not know that the fortuner was so quick. Thats pretty fast for such a big vehicle.
Old 5th May 2012, 19:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Thanks, did not know that the fortuner was so quick. Thats pretty fast for such a big vehicle.
The fortuner may be heavy (25XX Kg) but the engine is 3L capacity! If you compare it with other SUVs in the range, they have a capacity of 2L but with a weight of 2XXX Kg, so it balances out.
Old 6th May 2012, 19:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The racedynamics dieseltronic is a very cost effective, bangalore made product. The build quality, materials and workmanship is comparable to the imported tuning boxes. They've also strived to maintain an excellent packaging.
The remote control in the form of a keychain is also of a good build quality and the buttons are easy to press.
The challenges i see are as follows:

1. Tuning box resets to stock map when the ignition is turned OFF.
2. The remote control button may have to be pressed more than once to activate the setting, maybe the wireless communication is not strong enough.
3. It would be a good idea to rebuild the remote as a dash mount unit instead of a keychain. When used as a keychain, one has to take your eyes off the road to locate the buttons. Sometimes the wireless may not be effective, if the keychain remote is hanging next to the engine keyhole. Fixing the remote using a double sided tape would result in lost aesthetics.

I had to return the tuning box as I did not feel comfortable due to the poor brakes of the fortuner. I would wait till the warranty is over and first upgrade the brakes before going for this tuning box!
Thanks for the details,Nitin.
I fitted the RD box in my 2007 Logan in end Feb 2012 and have done about 4,000km till date with the box.
I fully endorse your point 3 above.I had fixed the remote on the steering wheel for some days and found the buttons too small and close set for pressing without looking.
However,the tuning box stays in the last operated mode whenever the engine is restarted and does not reset to stock.I had the box fitted and finetuned at/by RD - they assured me that it was designed not to reset and I have confirmed this quite a few times by the number of blinks.
Cheers!

Last edited by n_aditya : 4th July 2013 at 11:41. Reason: quote tags fixed
citron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 12:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ Citron: when I pressed the buttons on the remote, the LED would just blink once and I have to press multiple times to activate each mode.
Old 7th May 2012, 20:56   #12
BHPian

Nitin - excuse me for not being clear enough in my previous post.
I was referring to the LED on the box and not the LED on the remote.
The number of blinks can be checked by changing modes and restarting the engine when the car is parked.
I have let the box stay in P1 by default and use P2 sometimes on the highway for short stretches.
citron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 22:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by citron View Post
Tuning box resets to stock map when the ignition is turned OFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The unit resets when the you turn-off the vehicle, which means you have to select the mode using the remote each time you start the vehicle
Hey folks,

Sorry, but this info is incorrect. I have the RD box on my Rapid, few of my friends have the RD box on their Swift, Figo & Etios - and I can assure you that the map you previously selected (P1, P2, S or E) with the remote will always be remembered/retained - till you yourself switch it to another mode using the same remote. Switching off the ignition & pulling out the key does NOT reset the tuning box.

If you're interested in reading my review of the RD tuning box, please take a look here at the index page of my thread, from where you can navigate further. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2595142

Hope this helps!
kryptonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 22:51   #14
BHPian

Huh. I see a lot of RD boxes on the forum now. I have had it on my i20 Crdi 6 speed for close to 2 months now. Trust me, It just blows you off in the P2 mode. I got it done at the RD store itself. Karthik at RD gave me 4 or 5 maps to try out until i was satisfied with one. Each mapping involved a rather lengthy test drive too My P2 is pretty much maxed out and hence I see a considerable torque surge when I shift from S to P2. The car becomes that much more eager to move forward. It comes to its own on open roads and puts a grin on your face. Reaches the top end that much more quicker. Well worth the money and really nice guys to deal with. Like someone already pointed out, make sure that you have good brakes to handle all that extra power on tap.

PS : The box does not reset on its own when you turn the ignition off. It retains whatever mode it was in previously.

Last edited by Kimified : 7th May 2012 at 22:52.
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 09:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Kimified: No doubts on the performance of the RD box (in terms of torque and power), quite good for an Indian product! I simply had to return because of the poor braking offered by my Fortuner. I would someday upgrade the brakes and definitely go for this box!

The fit and finish, build quality is up to par with international products! They've also invested in a good packaging.

I just hope they would redesign the remote to a dash mount type.

Last edited by nitinbose : 8th May 2012 at 09:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks