Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 12:43   #136
Senior - BHPian

The engine has been out of the car for a couple of weeks now, Keeping in mind that we are going to push this engine to its limits - Sanjay is reinforcing the block further. Have a number of upgrades planned and aside from all out power, we are looking to maximize efficiency and refinement.

In the meanwhile, the radiator fans are being upgraded to keep temps low in bumper to bumper situations. The single 12" Honda a/c fan is being replaced by two 9" slim fans. Sticking with the stock radiator for now.

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image3812027794.jpg

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image536342996.jpg

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image2114616074.jpg

Last edited by binz : 28th August 2013 at 12:55.
binz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 13:41   #137
BHPian

re: Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
The engine has been out of the car for a couple of weeks now, Keeping in mind that we are going to push this engine to its limits - Sanjay is reinforcing the block further. Have a number of upgrades planned and aside from all out power, we are looking to maximize efficiency and refinement.

In the meanwhile, the radiator fans are being upgraded to keep temps low in bumper to bumper situations. The single 12" Honda a/c fan is being replaced by two 9" slim fans. Sticking with the stock radiator for now.

Attachment 1130598

Attachment 1130599

Attachment 1130600
i have used those kinds of fan earlier they are ineffective for cooling for the kind of power your engine generates. they don't cover entire radiator and don't flow enough cfm, The OEM fan if u notice its covered from all sides and design of the blades is what is more effective. i suggest u try to fit 2OEM Fan's with similar design of OEM.
Ford Rocam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 14:00   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post

i have used those kinds of fan earlier they are ineffective for cooling for the kind of power your engine generates. they don't cover entire radiator and don't flow enough cfm, The OEM fan if u notice its covered from all sides and design of the blades is what is more effective. i suggest u try to fit 2OEM Fan's with similar design of OEM.
Thanks for the info. We have severe space limitations which is the only reason we are going this route. Have looked through oe options from almost all manufacturers but could find a fan that would clear the remote turbo manifold.

Regarding the radiator shroud, we've used the oe Honda fan shroud as a mould and taken a fiberglass replica of it .. Once finished it should cover the entire radiator though we will still have to test how effective it would be. Here's a couple of work in progress pics of the fan shroud -

Haven't trimmed the excess or done any sort of finishing but it should look o.e. once done.

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image3967743404.jpg

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image4105883371.jpg

What do you think?
binz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 02:23   #139
BHPian

Hey Binoy,

First of All, what a superb Mod !! Every bit of it is really worth all the appreciation. Kudos to all the people behind this mod, it definitely aint easy task and involves lot of hardwork, patience and determination to achieve what was perceived and desired.

Though I am a Auto enthusiast, I didnt know many things, Team BHP n BHPians comments really taught me a lot. The site is like a ocean, You keep swimming and swimming with no end.

I recently owned a Second hand Baleno and have been thinking of doing mods but not in the immediate future. I do have plans but dont know when it will happen, but I surely know who to get in touch with . I would really like to see your Super Car and experience the adrenaline rush.

Great Work !!

Keep Posting
Old 9th January 2014, 22:44   #140
Senior - BHPian

Its been a while, nearly 5 months since the engine was stripped down to beef up the bottom end. The original plan was to design and fabricate a crank girdle to secure the crank and reduce vibrations at high rpms (8000rpm+). We didn't want to rush things and with a lot of other projects in-house to be completed, the baleno did end up taking a back seat.

The entire bottom end was meticulously measured following which the crank girdle was drawn up in 3d using solidworks. Machining a one off part is considerably expensive and we had one shot to get it right.

Here's how it turned out:
Name:  Crank Girdle.png
Views: 6570
Size:  443.8 KB

Putting a part which isn't supposed to be there in the first place always throws up its own set of challenges and this wasn't any different.
  • The main caps had raised markings which had to be machined down in order to have a flat surface.
  • The design of the main caps required the girdle to be further machined at the center in order to clear the caps.
  • 4mm Shims needed to be machined to fit between the main caps and girdle along the axis of the main studs.
  • The girdle had to be machined once more to accommodate the crank sensor, while leaving enough material to arrest oil seepage.
  • Longer main bolts were sourced

With all that done, and a whole lot of other setbacks the bottom end was finally done and the engine was assembled and put back into the car.

While this was being done, I got my hands on a couple of T04e Turbochargers and decided to swap the TD05 with this much larger turbine. The exhaust manifold and downpipe flanges were redone to suit the t3 style flanges and the engine bay finally looked complete.

Name:  Engine bay  t04.png
Views: 5905
Size:  767.0 KB

With this done we got to crank the engine - our biggest worry being the crankcase mods, which could potentially leak oil; little did we realise this would be the least of our worries.

With the car started, issues began to crop up one after another:
  • Oil was leaking from the MLS head gasket
  • The waterpump was leaking as well
  • The oil-seals on the t04 had failed and it was dumping oil into the exhaust.

Okay. Here we go again..

Head was removed and the MLS gasket was just not sealing up the single oil oriface on the head. Sourcing another MLS gasket was out of the question, and we were extremely lucky to get a Fel-Pro Gasket from Mr. Raj Hingorani of Team PowerWheels a night before he left abroad.

The Felpro gasket is a completely different material compared to the Oe Graphite gasket and can be reused (most of the time) as it does not disintegrate easily.

Name:  felpro.png
Views: 4269
Size:  741.1 KB

With this the engine was reassembled(again!), water pump replaced and the turbo was replaced with another brand new T04 turbo.

Started the car again, no visible leaks anywhere but with white smoke steadily increasing from the exhaust. We assumed it to be oil from the previous turbo being burnt up however just to be sure, we unbolted the downpipe from the turbo and AGAIN the seals had given up. We had used the appropriate oil feed restrictor on both turbos and I just couldn't believe this was happening!

Back to square one! Lesson learnt, avoid Chinese turbos at all costs - even if you get them for free!

After nearly 5 months, I think the concept of disappointment is beyond me! But since we believe in this car, this engine, this build .. the search began for a turbo to buy or scavenge keeping our goals in mind .. and it landed here today

Any guesses?

Last edited by binz : 9th January 2014 at 22:49.
binz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 23:09   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to the effort, patience, enthusiasm and optimism you have! Also its very sincere of you to document the developments without hiding the setbacks you have faced. You will definitely end up with awesome results. Just that the path to awesomeness is not a straight tarmac.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 10:21   #142

Have been silently following this thread since at least 10 months now and ohh boy what a ride it has been!! Totally impressed with the dedication and effort you all are putting into it. Was passing in front of the RD garage yesterday and saw this turbo monster in the corner with the hood up. I was damn curious to drop by and take a look, but everyone seemed very busy so thought I'll come around some other time. Loved all the cars parked there though, The HOT!! M3 and a black OHC, couple of esteems. They looked KILLER rides!! Every time I deliberately ride through the street and every single time there is something special that puts a smile across my face. You guys are truly transforming the way the world looks at our Bengaluru's Cars. kudos RD.
inline-six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 00:18   #143
Senior - BHPian

Thanks audioholic and inline-six for the nice words and support! We are trying to get the car on the road soon, but after all the months she's being lying idle, we thought we might as well go all out and get her set up for the 'valley run' that happening towards the end of this month.

As I mentioned earlier, the new turbo arrived a week back. After scouring through all the part lists from Garrett, precision Turbo and the borg warner efr series I finally decided on the Garrett Gt3071r Ball bearing turbo. Garret offers a much improved gtx series with a billet compressor wheel which would have been nice to work with however at almost an additional 400$ extra it was way beyond the budget set aside for this upgrade. We also looked at the Borg Warner EFR(Engineered for racing) range of turbochargers, with integrated electronic boost control, inbuilt dump valve and the works; however it was just too expensive at almost 1800$ without shipping etc. The next alternative was Precision with their much talked about turbos - but weirdly all their good tech is limited to their top of the line turbos and their pricing was ridiculous considering they are the smallest and youngest manufacturer of the lot.

The are a lot of advantages to picking up a Garrett, I could choose inlet flanges to match my existing manifold at no extra cost, a 4" inlet compressor housing was again a free upgrade, the exhaust housing can be swapped easily with bigger/smaller A/R allowing a lot of flexibility if i were to use this on another car etc. Additionally an upgrade to the GTX series could be planned later on not to mention a great service network and warranty which I know they will honor.

Enough of blabbering.. here it is - The Gt3071r:

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-garrettgt30.jpg

Picked up a K&N as well with a 4" dia to mount straight on. Got it in blue to keep things in the engine bay looking uniform.

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-garrettfront.jpg

Since I picked the T3 style housing, mounting the turbo wasn't a hassle however the downpipe flange needs to be fabricated again.

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-underhood1.jpg

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-underhood-2.jpg

Edit: Just noticed the dust thats settled on the fusebox. This car really needs to see some open tarmac soon!

Last edited by binz : 14th January 2014 at 00:22.
binz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 00:40   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Thanks audioholic and inline-six for the nice words and support! We are trying to get the car on the road soon, but after all the months she's being lying idle, we thought we might as well go all out and get her set up for the 'valley run' that happening towards the end of this month.

Edit: Just noticed the dust thats settled on the fusebox. This car really needs to see some open tarmac soon!
Been a bigtime noob in the field of mods and apart from drooling over the mods, I know nothing else. Also I have not gone through the start of the project in detail so pardon me for asking this - Why is the turbo placed close to the intake? I was of the inpression that the exhaust should be designed in such a way that it has less number of obstructions and bends as far as possible. Wont this kind of a setup make it the other way round?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 00:53   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Been a bigtime noob in the field of mods and apart from drooling over the mods, I know nothing else. Also I have not gone through the start of the project in detail so pardon me for asking this - Why is the turbo placed close to the intake? I was of the inpression that the exhaust should be designed in such a way that it has less number of obstructions and bends as far as possible. Wont this kind of a setup make it the other way round?
Can answer your question in pretty much one word - SPACE!

It is close to impossible to fit a turbo this large without removing, or moving forward the a/c condenser. And since its a daily drive, removing the a/c was not an option - hence this remote mount setup..

Last edited by binz : 14th January 2014 at 00:55.
Old 14th January 2014, 10:42   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes that's noticeable but my question is wont it affect performance in any? Was this the only choice you had?
Old 14th January 2014, 11:06   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes that's noticeable but my question is wont it affect performance in any? Was this the only choice you had?

The intake or the exhaust?
Old 14th January 2014, 11:09   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

WRT the routing of the exhaust to the turbo.

Sorry for another noob question. What effect will the extra power have on the AC compressor, alternator etc?
Old 14th January 2014, 11:17   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What effect will the extra power have on the AC compressor, alternator etc?
Absolutely none at all. These mods are only making the engine more powerful. They will not affect anything else.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 11:38   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WRT the routing of the exhaust to the turbo.

Sorry for another noob question. What effect will the extra power have on the AC compressor, alternator etc?
The exhaust manifold isn't restrictive as such, for a street car. The challenge with a remote manifold like this is keeping the exhaust gas temperature up.Better thermal management = higher egt = higher velocity = less energy dissipation = more power! We manage this with heat wrap for the exhaust, which is being upgraded here as well. The previous fiberglass based wrap used to flare up on the dyno , the titanium based wrap we plan to use should eliminate this issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks