Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 16:00   #91
BHPian

Re: Building a G16b - Turbocharged + ITBs

Been waiting for an update forever! Thanks for that.

Are you still w/o an odo / gauge / speedo? Any update on the FE and the BHP at the wheels?

Also what's it like as a daily drive now?
Old 28th May 2013, 19:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Below a certain time interval, wouldn't the limitation be based on the performance of the injector, rather than the ECU? Also, for 'nothing-special' injectors, wouldn't that limit be a lot higher than 0.001 milliseconds? Roughly what would it be?

Thanks,
R
Hey Rehaan, thats a really good question, had a word with Karthik about it too.

You are right, it is limited on the performance of the injector. That said, what we have are serving the purpose extremely well. From the ecu side, the resolution is 0.001ms, which can be verified on a scope. The 550cc injectors are only for street use when we decide to race the car, we will have a different set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingeljell View Post
Been waiting for an update forever! Thanks for that.

Are you still w/o an odo / gauge / speedo? Any update on the FE and the BHP at the wheels?

Also what's it like as a daily drive now?
Sometimes it seems really pointless to keep this thread updated! Still nice to see genuine interest

Yes, still without Odo/Speedo/Fuel Guage, I have no clue what mileage she's giving and i presently expect it to be in the region of around 7-8kmpl. Horsepower figures will be known latest by next weekend.

Karthik insists I learn to tune the car myself. He literally got the car to run in 5 minutes , deleted the map and before leaving said , 'Now you do it'!

The ECU firmware should be upgraded in the next couple of days, and we're hoping to have it on the Dyno by saturday - fingers crossed.

As far as daily drivability is concerned, its not perfect but its getting there slowly. Will post more in detail soon.
binz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 19:49   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Sometimes it seems really pointless to keep this thread updated! Still nice to see genuine interest

Yes, still without Odo/Speedo/Fuel Guage, I have no clue what mileage she's giving and i presently expect it to be in the region of around 7-8kmpl. Horsepower figures will be known latest by next weekend.

Karthik insists I learn to tune the car myself. He literally got the car to run in 5 minutes , deleted the map and before leaving said , 'Now you do it'!

The ECU firmware should be upgraded in the next couple of days, and we're hoping to have it on the Dyno by saturday - fingers crossed.

As far as daily drivability is concerned, its not perfect but its getting there slowly. Will post more in detail soon.
Pointless.. Pointless? NO!

As I said before this is absolutely one of the most interesting things I've seen online in a long time. Please do keep updating us, especially detailing out what things you like, dislike, etc...

Would love a long detailed post from you once you've got more info. This thread is pretty much the main reason for me having almost given up my VTEC hunt and started looking at a Baleno!

You are an inspiration, good sir.
Bingeljell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 04:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
A "military spec" race ECU?
Founde the picture so here you go -

MIL grade connectors,water resistant,complete 12 cyl ind. seq. control, electronic TB and integrated gearbox control in addition to everything else
Attached Thumbnails
Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-rd-mil.jpg  

Old 29th May 2013, 04:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

I understand you meant military spec connectors. My comment was in jest as there are no military spec race ECUs

PS: No offence intended, but all that expensive connector stuff is useless with those wires hanging out. If you're going the whole hog, might as well go for Raychem DR-25 heatshrink tubing for the complete harness.
Old 29th May 2013, 05:12   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I understand you meant military spec connectors. My comment was in jest as there are no military spec race ECUs

PS: No offence intended, but all that expensive connector stuff is useless with those wires hanging out. If you're going the whole hog, might as well go for Raychem DR-25 heatshrink tubing for the complete harness.
Yea i got that

None taken, this picture is from over a year back much before it went on the itc car. Karthik should be able to throw more light on what tubing was finally used. The baleno will get the regular 24 Pin Auto connectors though.
Old 10th June 2013, 14:54   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Binz,

Whats happening with the shake-downs of this build? Were you able to dyno it yet/any teething issues ?
Old 10th June 2013, 20:14   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Binz, Whats happening with the shake-downs of this build? Were you able to dyno it yet/any teething issues ?
Car is running well, we turned up the boost and it crept to 25psi at full throttle; ideally want it stable at around 20psi so it's back at rd for a 38mm external wastegate upgrade. Will do a Bangalore-chennai-bangalore trip to test post which it will go on the dyno. With regards to teething issues - from the mechanical point of view absolutely no issues. Electronics wise - since it's still running on a lousy map I made, it behaves erratically at times ; RdKarthik will be setting it up tomorrow.. Once he's done tuning jt, it's impossible to tell the car runs an aftermarket ecu!
Old 16th June 2013, 13:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
38mm external wastegate upgrade.
Would you be interested in a used turbosmart external wastegate? I had one and used for around a month.

-Amar
Old 16th June 2013, 15:48   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been a silent reader of all your projects, including the RD SX4 that they turboed. Given the amount of modifications done and the work you guys have done, its really commendable and not an easy thing to do. Is it possible for us to take a look at it somewhere(nope I have no intentions of driving this beast) and get a feel of it?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 00:41   #101
Senior - BHPian

Updates for the week!

The external wastegate is in and is regulating boost extremely well.As it was done before, exhaust gasses from the wastegate are vented to to atmosphere and do not rejoin the exhaust. This 'screamer' setup sounds distinctly different and is unlike anything I've heard before. The wastegate has a 10 psi spring so that is what will run for now while we sort out the off-boost response.

Rehaan - Since you asked .. Here you go:

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image551732485.jpg

The newer tps/map firmware is on the ecu and tuning is underway. RDkarthik is working on a number of different approaches to this and throttle response is improving day by day.

The stock engine mounts have been stiffened and the engine doesn't rock back and forth with aggressive throttle inputs. No additional vibrations in the cabin.

Touchscren display is shaping up nicely and should be on the car soon

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image154162415.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Would you be interested in a used turbosmart external wastegate? I had one and used for around a month.

-Amar
Am interested, why did you remove it though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Have been a silent reader of all your projects, including the RD SX4 that they turboed. Given the amount of modifications done and the work you guys have done, its really commendable and not an easy thing to do. Is it possible for us to take a look at it somewhere(nope I have no intentions of driving this beast) and get a feel of it?
Pm me once you see a dyno chart here and ill take you for a spin

Last edited by binz : 23rd June 2013 at 00:43.
binz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 21:22   #102
Senior - BHPian

Spent sunday morning with Rdkarthik sorting out off boost response. I wouldn't call it tuning as he had two laptops on his lap, one to tune and the other to write new firmware!

We started of with the tps/map hybrid firmware, however the tps wasn't reading small changes - the same small changes in throttle position caused a huge change in airflow!
We had to run afrs as low as 10 to get the car to idle off tps and this wasn't acceptable however throttle response was phenomenal.

It took about 10 minutes for karthik to make new firmware and he flashed the ecu with it. Now fueling was manifold pressure based again with fuel enrichment based on throttle position. This worked better. Back to 13.5 afr idle.

Karthik further worked on the firmware, increased mapping resolution and got the car idling at 800rpm, mid 14 afr. The wideband indicates I should be getting some good economy now!

There is still quite a bit of work pending on the tune, mainly the transition into boost from part throttle but the rest is done. We might go to the dyno tomorrow, will keep the thread posted.
binz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 08:19   #103
BHPian

its a long story about why i removed my wastegate and it would go OT. So, i'll call you and explain.

Back to the topic: really happy to see the way that Karthik is putting in so much effort on an excellent build. Can't wait to see the dyno map
Old 28th June 2013, 14:11   #104
Senior - BHPian

I started this thread with - 'For those of you who don't know, Sanjay is the man behind Wolf's honda city (Race Dynamics: Honda City VTEC), the 13 second automatic accord as well as infamous 800hp Supra. His builds are always special, and this one will be no different. '

Happy to report that the team at RD have pulled it off again, getting this 1.6 SOHC to churn out almost three and a half times the power it originally put out.

We dynoed the car at 244Wheel Horsepower and 327Nm of Torque at the wheels, with boost set at 19.6 Psi. Factor in a modest 20% transmission losses and this translates into about 305BHP at the crank!

At 12psi the engine makes a little over 170hp at the wheels with 257Nm of Torque.

Name:  Screen Shot 20130628 at 2.11.45 PM.png
Views: 6070
Size:  83.5 KB

We did about 10 back-to-back Dyno pulls and car didn't break a sweat. Water temps were under 85 Degrees, no detonation.

We now know the engine car take a LOT more, Karthik and Sanjay are looking to take the power higher, however we have hit the limits of the TD05 Turbo. Within the next couple of months the cam and valvetrain will be upgraded along with the turbo. For now, I'm just enjoying this 1 bar daily drive beast!

Videos coming soon!

Last edited by binz : 28th June 2013 at 14:13.
binz is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 14:17   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

That is brilliant! Now - to revisit an earlier query of mine: is all that power usable onto the roads ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks