Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 21:30   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
How about this one? Anyone out there who's tried the effectiveness:

http://www.groupon.co.in/deals/shopp...Jet-Gun/604653
Cleaning requires a "pressure" and that can be generated only by a "pump".

This device will work for the average joe. It will just offer a "rinse" and not do any real cleaning. The pressure will drop if there are other users on the master water pipe line. You would get a decent pressure only if you have a 3 storey building and there is a dedicated "pipe" from the over head tank to the ground floor and this sprayer is the only usage source.
Old 15th September 2014, 10:56   #662
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying & Using a Pressure Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Please buy the pressure washer first and then the hose-pipe so that we are sure that the diameter of the hose pipe fits the machine snugly.
I will be going over to Metro this coming weekend to buy the Karcher.

Is there a minimum input water pressure rating for the unit to work effectively?

The tap I intend to use in my parking space has good output pressure when opened fully but just want to ensure that the unit performs as expected and hence this post.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:21   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I will be going over to Metro this coming weekend to buy the Karcher.

Is there a minimum input water pressure rating for the unit to work effectively?

The tap I intend to use in my parking space has good output pressure when opened fully but just want to ensure that the unit performs as expected and hence this post.
Oops - I am not sure about the pressure rating, but normal tap water pressure shold do just good. There is a manual way of knowing water pressure is less. When the Machine starts "spittting" , similar to the bathroom tap where there is no water in over head tank, it is time to check the water pressure.
Old 18th September 2014, 14:33   #664
BHPian

I bought this aquatek AQT33-10 from ebay using a 25% off coupon
http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=291238508386

Ordered on 13th , recieved just now. Connected everything and plugged in. It is working fine. As mentioned in previous posts to secure the input water hose to inlet you need a ring screw type device . It does not come with the washer.
I had one lying around so was able to test it immediately

Now need to get a extension cord with 15A socket for its power plug to actually use it for car washing . The unit switches off when the finger is off from the nozzle trigger
Is this rated for continuous duty? How much time i can keep it running.

any other advice from existing users of the same model?
Old 18th September 2014, 16:35   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by castiel View Post
I bought this aquatek AQT33-10 from ebay using a 25% off coupon
http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=291238508386

Ordered on 13th , recieved just now. Connected everything and plugged in. It is working fine. As mentioned in previous posts to secure the input water hose to inlet you need a ring screw type device . It does not come with the washer.
I had one lying around so was able to test it immediately

Now need to get a extension cord with 15A socket for its power plug to actually use it for car washing . The unit switches off when the finger is off from the nozzle trigger
Is this rated for continuous duty? How much time i can keep it running.

any other advice from existing users of the same model?
This info would be available on the manual but I guess 15 mins of continous running should be how much we can push this machine.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:27   #666
Senior - BHPian

So after much needed advice and suggestions from fellow members (and scorpiobharath in particular - thank you sir), I visited the Kanakapura Metro outlet on Saturday.

Hurried to the power tools section and was disappointed to learn that the Karcher 2.xxx series (retails at 6k) was not in stock. I was asked to wait for 10 days for fresh stocks to arrive.

While I was considering my options, I also saw Black and Decker and Bosch pressure washers. The B&D sales person recommended buying the PW1570TD model (link) which was on sale for 9.5k (sticker price was 15k odd IIRC). Rated at 1500W and 120bar with detergent bottle, 2 spray nozzles (lances), this sounded like a good deal. The 2.xxx Karcher was only 100bar and had only one spray lance, no detergent bottle. I had visited that store to buy the pressure washer so did not want to return empty handed (although we did buy quite a LOT of other stuff ) so ended up buying the B&D unit.

Assembled the unit and planned to use it the next morning (Sunday). I had a hose at home so just bought a tap connector as in this post along with a pipe connector.

Sunday morning I washed the car and then proceeded to use the Sonax shampoo (link). I bought a 5 liter can of this at Metro for some 1.3k odd IIRC.

Sadly something went wrong and while i was rinsing the shampoo off the car, i noticed burning smell from the unit and smoke coming from the unit vents. Water flow was present so it was not that unit was devoid of cool water. The sound of the unit had also become stressed and I switched off the unit, manually cleaned the car and reported the issue to Metro.

I was thoroughly disappointed and was cursing myself for not waiting for the karcher. Spoke with fellow mod and dear friend, Jaggu and he offered to help me with the service staff at B&D if needed (since he has the same product).

Finally after a few hours, the B&D sales person called me and offered replacement of the unit. Feeling greatly relieved, I went to Metro and picked up the replacement. Must have been a manufacturing issue as I had no issues with water or electricity flow. A neighbor uses the same points for his Bosch pressure washer regularly.

So the new (replacement unit) is still packed. Didn't find time to assemble it and use it as yet as I got home pretty late in the evening yesterday.

Just thought of posting my ordeal.

Overall, happy with the prompt service offered by B&D. I also ended up buying a B&D car vacuum cleaner for my F-I-L which works nicely.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd September 2014 at 15:29.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:14   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Must have been a manufacturing issue as I had no issues with water or electricity flow. A neighbor uses the same points for his Bosch pressure washer regularly.
The only reason for the short circuit / Smoke i can think of is the failure of Bushes / Washers on the water circulator part inside the machine. some water would have leaked and caused the machine to short-circuit.

If it was an electrical surge, The fuse would have blown.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:36   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only reason for the short circuit / Smoke i can think of is the failure of Bushes / Washers on the water circulator part inside the machine. some water would have leaked and caused the machine to short-circuit.
So is it possible that there was some excess strain on the motor due to reduced water flow from the tap (just asking, not that the unit was starved for water) that caused the motor to burn? I thought these motors were oil cooled.
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:36   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is it possible that there was some excess strain on the motor due to reduced water flow from the tap (just asking, not that the unit was starved for water) that caused the motor to burn? I thought these motors were oil cooled.
The Motor burns out only when there is no water and the motor is operated for long durations under no-load. This machine has a trigger controlled motor. By Logic, When one observes that no water is coming out of the machine, he would relase the trigger and automatically check the water supply. This feature would prevent the motor burning out under no load. The risk of motor burning is prominent only on the aftermarket assembled ones, where one has to manually turn off the power supply. (Commonly seen at car-washes attached to petrol pumps)

Since you have mentioned,that there was a shampoo activity going on, the probablity is highly unlikely. I would bet that there were some water leakages / seepage because of which the motor short-circuited. I am not sure if you checked, but it might be a good idea to check date of manufacture. Old machines would work, but the bushes and washers would become brittle and crack.

- I am sorry to disappoint you. this model is available cheaper than what you paid at Metro.

Buying & Using a Pressure Washer-bd.png

Last edited by scopriobharath : 23rd September 2014 at 14:39.
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:49   #670
Senior - BHPian

basically off the shelf washers are run at whatever rpm the motor runs. The plungers run at high velocity. belt driven plungers are best for durability. There are two styles of controlling the pump. Either switch off the motor using trigger (located on the gun or outside) or simple recirculate the water inside. Switching off the motor is easy. If water is recirculated (since water cannot be compressed like air), water becomes heated up and requires steam venting and more complex.
Washers used in petrol pumps dont have trigger on the gun. Water always flows out as long as water is available or motor is running. If washing is completed, operators simply goes and switches off the motor. Off the shelf washers has a pressure switch and stops the motor from running. And these off the shelf washers cannot be used for regular use and longer durations. This is due to high rpm and direct coupling with plungers and all control mechanisms.
Agricultural sprayers are used these days as medium pressure washers. They are very efficient with single hp motor. Water is neither recirculated nor the motor is switched off. When gun is closed, a valve is opened and it simply returns water to same reservoir where it pumps water from. I think is is much more safe. But setup is clumsy.
Bosch has very good compact professional pump which seems very good. they have ceramic coated pistons, and pressure controller. But will cost around 40k-ish.
kutlee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:38   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Motor burns out only when there is no water and the motor is operated for long durations under no-load. Since you have mentioned,that there was a shampoo activity going on, the probablity is highly unlikely. I would bet that there were some water leakages / seepage because of which the motor short-circuited. I am not sure if you checked, but it might be a good idea to check date of manufacture. Old machines would work, but the bushes and washers would become brittle and crack.
Thanks Bharath for the explanation. I did not use the machine for long periods. Gave it a breather when I was moving from one section of the car to the other by releasing the trigger on the gun. I noticed the motor sounding strained when the shampoo was being used. Sounded different and could smell something burning in the machine and then smoke emanated from the unit through the vents.

Hope the new unit is not going to be an issue.

BTW, while i was waiting at the store for replacement, another customer who was around inquired as to what happened and was surprised when I mentioned the motor has burned out. He had the same model of pressure washer and was using it since 8 month without a glitch. Bad luck for me that day I guess. :-(

Quote:
I am sorry to disappoint you. this model is available cheaper than what you paid at Metro.
Flipkart is weird. I checked the site now and it shows INR 9408. Not much of an issue since i was eager to buy it that day itself. I guess replacement would have been a tad more difficult if I had faced an issue with the unit when bought through flipkart.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:52   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bharath for the explanation. I did not use the machine for long periods. Gave it a breather when I was moving from one section of the car to the other by releasing the trigger on the gun. I noticed the motor sounding strained when the shampoo was being used. Sounded different and could smell something burning in the machine and then smoke emanated from the unit through the vents.
Hey - QQ - Did the motor / pump cut off, when you released the trigger or did the motor still spin? If that is the case, Then the relay probably had got stuck and caused the motor to spin.

Oh !! absolutely. That screenshot was just to pull you leg - LOL. I anyday prefer an in-store purchase rather than online, just for that peace of mind factor. Delays and damages due to shipping / product unavailability would add to our frustration, as we would have paid for it.

I too am considering a Black and Decker pressure washer in a couple of months. I love the Karcher K3.550 but Karcher is another toyota. What started as a 12-13K product now retails for close to 22K . Since two MODs already own B&D products, I think it is a good decision to follow suit.

And Hey - You owe us a ton of pics and some review how the foamer performs.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 23rd September 2014 at 19:54.
Old 24th September 2014, 14:45   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did the motor / pump cut off, when you released the trigger or did the motor still spin? If that is the case, Then the relay probably had got stuck and caused the motor to spin.
Yes, when I released the trigger on the gun, the motor did cut off. It all went downhill in a couple of mins. :(

Quote:
I too am considering a Black and Decker pressure washer in a couple of months. I love the Karcher K3.550 but Karcher is another toyota. What started as a 12-13K product now retails for close to 22K . Since two MODs already own B&D products, I think it is a good decision to follow suit.
You're buying another one? I thought you already have a Karcher 2.xxx series unit.

The sticker price on the box of the B&D is Rs. 15700 odd and was on sale in Metro for 9.5k. I wonder how and why on the misleading sticker. On another note, the customer service numbers on the box (sticker again) don't work. Recorded message says - number not in service, please check and dial again.

Quote:
You owe us a ton of pics and some review how the foamer performs.
Sure sir. Will do soon.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 16:43   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, when I released the trigger on the gun, the motor did cut off. It all went downhill in a couple of mins. :(

You're buying another one? I thought you already have a Karcher 2.xxx series unit.

The sticker price on the box of the B&D is Rs. 15700 odd and was on sale in Metro for 9.5k. I wonder how and why on the misleading sticker. On another note, the customer service numbers on the box (sticker again) don't work. Recorded message says - number not in service, please check and dial again.

Sure sir. Will do soon.
Oh !! Then surely the water backdraft through some probable leaks has caused this issue.

Oh No No !! I had an unbranded pressure washer purchased from US in 2007 (Hardy ??)but it stopped working a long time back, so threw it away. Ipicked it up from some small store in New Jersey in 2007. I am now looking for a pressure washer. Might gift one for me for new year.

Waiting for your pictures and review - especially the foam bottle.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 24th September 2014 at 16:45.
Old 4th October 2014, 12:40   #675
BHPian

My car park is about 30m away from the tap. I wanted to keep the machine inside my apartment (which is one level higher to the car park) near the tap and run only the pressure hose for easiness. Do any brands have got Extension pressure hose of 25-30m length. I don't mind loosing some pressure due the length.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks