Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2006, 12:23   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Dosent the man have a right to turbocharge his Lancer any way he wants? So what if it dosent work right out of the box.............nobody got it right the first time........whether it was Henry Ford or Karl Benz.

Lets appreciate the effort , learn from his mistakes and suggest improvements. Please stop the herd mentality of bashing people with no facts.

W2W already invited people for a TD in his first post and that shows his confidence in his work. Why dont you guys go check it out before passing judgement.
Hi Deep,

Whilst some people are on a bashing spree, there are a few other genuine ones who are interested in finding out how he has managed. I have absolutely no doubts and i even congratulated him and specifically mentioned that I am not questioning his integrity.

A stock Lancer runs 160 CC injectors (or is it 140). In order to acheive the right amount of power for the boost he is running even if he wires up a Haltech, Motech etc. he will not be able to fuel the excess amount of air being provided by the blower and hence my questions. It;s highly unlikely that the AFR is within limits. I am only asking him questions so that he can review his setup and avoid an expensive engine rebuild. From my understanding, he will need to use injectors in the region of 270 to 275CC even more infact, in order to fuel his setup. I have assumed BSFC to be .55 and horsepower at fly wheel - 175HP. Also I doubt if the conrods would be able to take this kind of stress.

All the best to him. Some of us are only trying to help.

I have said this once before and I will say it again. PLUGGINg IN THE HARDWARE IS NOT AN ISSUE. ANYONE CAN DO THAT. GETTING IT TO RUN IS WHAT MATTERS.

Peace !!!

Last edited by Sideways : 7th September 2006 at 12:26.
Old 7th September 2006, 13:14   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think anyone is intrested in bashing up any one else here. Most questions asked of W2W are in a collaborative way, to share knowledge, asking doubts and the like. It's the same when we ask any one else here any questions ..

Personally, I wasnt very happy to read comments like 'playstation 2 kids'. IMHO, that comment was not called for. If anybody's feathers were ruffled by that, I will not be surprised.

Last edited by condor : 7th September 2006 at 13:17.
Old 7th September 2006, 13:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
I have said this once before and I will say it again. PLUGGINg IN THE HARDWARE IS NOT AN ISSUE. ANYONE CAN DO THAT. GETTING IT TO RUN IS WHAT MATTERS.
Well said, as Sideways mentioned we are really interested to know as the conrods on a lancer cannot handle the stress of 12PSi and there is no boost controller and I can see the stock wastegate actuator in place which would mean about 6 PSi and to go above 8 PSI one would need a 2 bar MAP sensor.

Sorry this is not about people bashing / herd mentality but asking for more info... I dont think you would expect Sideways and me to go Delhi to check what he did, Yes it would be great if someone from delhi can check and revert.

PS: Sideways how come you used .55 as the BSFC, I would have expected you to use a lower figure like .45 as the engine is stock (he has not mentioned any mods).

Witness: AFR numbers would be really helpful to know how the car is working.
Old 7th September 2006, 16:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho

PS: Sideways how come you used .55 as the BSFC, I would have expected you to use a lower figure like .45 as the engine is stock (he has not mentioned any mods)
If I am not mistaken theres a turbo charger in there
Old 7th September 2006, 20:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
A stock Lancer runs 160 CC injectors (or is it 140). In order to acheive the right amount of power for the boost he is running even if he wires up a Haltech, Motech etc. he will not be able to fuel the excess amount of air being provided by the blower and hence my questions. It;s highly unlikely that the AFR is within limits. I am only asking him questions so that he can review his setup and avoid an expensive engine rebuild. From my understanding, he will need to use injectors in the region of 270 to 275CC even more infact, in order to fuel his setup. I have assumed BSFC to be .55 and horsepower at fly wheel - 175HP. Also I doubt if the conrods would be able to take this kind of stress
Well you are abs right. Not only the injectors but even the fuel rail and fuel pump need to be upsized. Also at that kind of boost, you need to drop the compression for the engine to live
Not to mention that the Lancer 1.5 has only 1 exhaust valve which means both backpressure and EGT will go through the roof. As far as boost controllers, I dont think my 4G63 has one and works perfectly fine with a old fashioned pneumatic wastegate.

I think what he means is the turbo is capable of pushing 12 psi but I suspect the car is running nowhere close to it.

PS: was referring only to the ones who were jeering not you or Psycho

Last edited by Mpower : 8th September 2006 at 07:14.
Old 8th September 2006, 05:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys we went to the workshop today & had a look at the Lancer. Results are not going to be pretty and I have taken full videos & pics. Professionalism & expertise of the chap can be better judged by you people upon seeing the evidence.

It's late now so expect everything to be up by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 8th September 2006, 17:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Don't make us wait so long man, put atleast something up right away. Atleast the thread would have a direction then!
Old 8th September 2006, 17:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Ok expect some pictures to be up by about 6:30 have a meeting right now.
Old 8th September 2006, 20:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

Pics!

Ok guys here are some of the pics:

Note the hole for placement of the BOV (Red circle)

Note the Insulation tape on the hose coming from the Air Intake to the Turbo.

More pictures to follow with the whole description.
Old 8th September 2006, 20:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Now my question to all you guys is what is that thing in the smaller circle next to the turbo?? I couldn't figure it out & it's been bothering me since then.

Note the BOV (looked quite cheap in quality) & another angle of the taped-up hose.

The car in question.

More detailed pictures will be posted a little later as my phone is acting up. Overall the quality of the whole install was quite shoddy. The mechanics present there had no clue about how the turbo worked & how to tune it. The tuning is evidently done by someone from outside!

There was no boost controller, piggyback chip or any kind of extra ECU mounted on to the car. The car was started but from the first time it didn't sound right. Couldn't point out the issue due to limited time but there was something wrong with it. The turbo was reportedly a Garrett something.

Will post more detailed pics & a few videos in a little while since I am leaving office now.
Old 8th September 2006, 20:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Ok guys here are some of the pics:
The above pic is not the same as the pic posted before, hence are we talking of multiple installs here? as this one has a chromed manifold and the intercooler the last one didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by witnesstowonder
WANT TO SHARE OUR TURBO LANCER:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava

Now my question to all you guys is what is that thing in the smaller circle next to the turbo?? I couldn't figure it out & it's been bothering me since then.
The smaller circle is highlighting the wastegate controller that comes on the turbo, but I cannot see a line to a boost controller.
Old 8th September 2006, 21:09   #57
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Psycho yes this is a different install, another thing here was that the piping was too bloody long !!!? wouldn't that have a detrimental effect ? And btw those headers are SS just discoloured

Last edited by aZa : 8th September 2006 at 21:10.
Old 8th September 2006, 23:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

The smaller circle is the wastegate actuator, which is a vacuum operated device.
Old 9th September 2006, 00:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm good observation Psycho the car is also Olive Green in colour & the BOV & headers are different too. But the piping pattern remains similar to the other car.

Am I the only one smelling something fishy here?
Old 9th September 2006, 11:30   #60
BANNED

Did you get to drive it? That would answer a lot of questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks