Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 23:10   #346

My Episode With Automech.

Well, today is the day when for the first time i felt money well spent, i did got what i was lukin for. I got my FFE from Automech for my Lancer SFX-i and trust me guyz its a treat for ears. As soon as that RPM needle touches 3000 RPM mark..."its an hustle", it starts rumbling and the heavenly sound is released, and the afterfire is just perfect. I'v noticed significant change in my throttle response its like BOOM. I am so very much happy with the setup. I would encourage one to go with automech.

P.S : Will put up the vid soon. Later.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:47   #347
BHPian

guys, please help i'm really confused now about these f.f. exhaust systems.
i have a ikon 1.3 okay what do i do to gain some performance in terms of exhaust systems. i saw this rainbow colored exhaust the other day in karol bagh it was pretty cheap for rs 4100 and the same one where other car modifiers are selling it for 6500.And if these free flow exhaust helps in fuel efficiency or performance THEN why does'nt the company people opt for it too?? now another question is that should i get it done in my ford ikon and will i loose power ? And where can i go in delhi for some upgrades.
i am saying this because i read this articles somewhere ----

Car Exhaust Systems

The stock exhaust on many carsis far more restrictive than it needs to be. Many years ago people seeking improved power and performance learned that they could achieve both by adding a larger, less restrictive exhaust system to their vehicle. Not only do new exhaust systems provide increased power, they can also generate that sound that many automotive enthusiasts like to hear from their vehicle.

It is important to note that many of the newer cars are coming from the factory with highly tuned exhaust systems. Therefore, on some newer cars, an aftermarket exhaust might actually result in a minor loss in horsepower. The main things you need to do are learn the dimensions of your current system and compare that to the dimensions of the aftermarket system. For example, if you currently have a 1.5-inch system, and you want to upgrade to a 2-inch system, you will need to ask yourself if this modification will result in added power or will it actually decrease the power your vehicle is producing?

In the past, cars were built without a lot of consideration given to the exhaust system. The system was simply built to fit the car, dependent upon the amount of space available left over for the system. This resulted in some pretty wild kinks and twists that were made in the exhaust system. These excessive kinks, turns, and bends resulted in the exhaust gasses running into extra roadblocks on their way out the system.

The exhaust system is actually comprised of many individual pieces. Most commonly, the gases will leave the cylinder head and enter the exhaust manifold or the header (depending on which part your vehicle is equipped). The gases will travel through a small section of pipe, after which they travel through the oxygen sensor (O2 sensor) before finding their way to the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter is where the gases are converted from harmful poisons into water and oxygen.

After the water and oxygen exits the catalytic converter, it travels through more pipe leading to the muffler. The purpose of the muffler is of course to muffle the sound of the exhaust as it leaves the vehicle. Without a muffler, the vehicle would be extremely loud, so much so that you can hear the operational motor from more than a block away. After the muffler is another small section of pipe leading to the rear of the car, where the exhaust fumes are discharged.

As you can see, there are many components that come into play when trying to modify your exhaust system. Replacing one exhaust system component and not the others can make the process of trying to increase power to your vehicle a futile endeavor.

Many stock exhaust systems are not 'mandrel bent', but aftermarket exhaust systems are made with a mandrel bent. Mandrel bending is when a set of balls, called a mandrel, is inserted into the pipe during the bending process. These balls are positioned and pulled through the pipe so that the bends are not deformed and maintain a close-to-perfect shape throughout the length of the bend. OEM exhaust systems today are most often 'CNC bent', which is a process where a computer-controlled set of motors controls the position of the tube and the rotation of one bend in relation to another.

The main advantage of mandrel bending is that the full-length of the tubing or pipe is the same diameter throughout, instead of having a smaller diameter of pipe at locations where the pipe is bent. Many have suggested that the best aftermarket exhaust systems utilize a combination process called CNC mandrel bending.

If you understand the concept that a cars engine is basically a big vacuum cleaner that takes air in and pushes air out, then you will be able to understand the importance of the exhaust system for the overall performance of your vehicle. If you cannot get the gases out of the engine quickly, then you cannot take in clean fresh air quickly either. If you watch professional drag racing on television, you will see that the cars typically only have headers and no other exhaust. The reason for this is that there are fewer restrictions on the gases as they exit the engine. Of course, this is for professional race drivers and would not be practical or legal for street-driven vehicles.

If you can, imagine what the stock Chevrolet exhaust system looks like. The Chevrolet parts are probably a very narrow diameter with many restrictions in the stock Chevrolet mufflers, pipes and other exhaust system components. With a little bit of imagination, anyone could see how one might easily improve his or her Chevrolet vehicle's performance with a higher flowing exhaust system.

In addition to the performance value, a new system can also give you that throaty sound that car enthusiasts yearn to hear in their modified vehicles. You know the sound; you hear it at car shows or when cars with aftermarket systems pass you on the road. You hear them coming and think to yourself, well this person means business and they really do have some extra power under their hood.

Overall, a new exhaust system will give you a good return of power on the amount for the amount of money spent, depending of course on your specific vehicle. A quality exhaust system will also compliment any future engine modifications that you intend to make, since more power in the engine means more gases are being pushed out of the exhaust.

If you intend on overhauling your vehicle's exhaust system, make sure that you do it right. Given the complexity of today's vehicle exhaust systems; cutting corners may be more expensive than doing the job right the first time.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:46   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride9x View Post
guys, please help i'm really confused now about these f.f. exhaust systems.
i have a ikon 1.3 okay what do i do to gain some performance in terms of exhaust systems. i saw this rainbow colored exhaust the other day in karol bagh it was pretty cheap for rs 4100 and the same one where other car modifiers are selling it for 6500.
These are just free flow mufflers/end-cans that you have seen, they will just increase sound/exhaust note and little or no change in performance or fuel efficiency.

Quote:
And if these free flow exhaust helps in fuel efficiency or performance THEN why does'nt the company people opt for it too?? .
Car manufacturing companies making sedans like your Ikon, manufacture for mass production and not just for a bunch of performance enthusiats.
They have to get the car certified by ARAI and also meet legal emission norms and sound level norms etc.
Thus companies cannot opt for such product as OE equipments for a mass production car.

Quote:
now another question is that should i get it done in my ford ikon and will i loose power ? And where can i go in delhi for some upgrades.
If you get it done right then you should only gain power.
Contact Arush-Autopsyche or try this fellow from whom i got my car's cat-back exhaust done-#9811052772 Silencer House.

BTW when you say exhaust SYSTEM you should be reffering to the entire exhaust set-up which includes headers, catylytic converter, intermediate pipes, mid-muffler and end-can, these make up an EXHAUST SYSTEM. There might be possible add-ons like an expansion chamber.

You will mostly see a drop in fuel efficiency but this is only because your driving style changes after a FFE install....aggressive driving at high RPMs, holding each gear longer, showing off the exhaust note to your friends, revving at stop lights etc all attribute to low FE and there will be people who would blame the exhaust set-up for the same.
Old 20th October 2008, 19:07   #349
BHPian

aight. thankS bro ! finally got my abc's of the whole system.
Old 20th October 2008, 19:39   #350
BHPian

okay abhik
let's say i go for this exhaust upgrade. Can you please elaborate the details on what all does the guy does with your car.You know the technical know-how's on what's done.ThankS !!
Old 21st October 2008, 17:51   #351
BHPian

Quote:
okay abhik
let's say i go for this exhaust upgrade. Can you please elaborate the details on what all does the guy does with your car.You know the technical know-how's on what's done.ThankS !!
Okay! Here goes a step by step process on how it was done on my car.
1. Car is mounted on the ramp/lift.

2. The stock exhaust was cut apart from the cat-con.

3. I suggested i needed 2" intermediate pipes as stock was 1.5". 2" would be a decent upsize as going too wide with the dia will decrease performance.
In simple terms lets just assume you have a high pressure water pump but a thin pipe attached to it for dispersing water. Since the pipe is thin, water is not released with force and this generates a back pressure which in turn decreases the the performance of the pump.
When you increase the pipe dia to a wider one which is meant for the high pressure water-pump, the flow of water will be smooth and will also exit the pipe with force, this will also reduce the amount of backpressue.
If you go for a pipe too wide the the water comming out of the pump will loose its force due to the dia width of the pipe being too wide.

with refference to engines,
water pump = engine
pipe = exhaust system
water = exhaust gasses

4.These pipes were then welded in place taking the stock pipe as mock for bending the new tubes into place. This is done because the stock exhaust pipes have specific slots where it was placed and was protected plus the body is also protected from the heat of the exhaust pipes as the slot would be covered in heat resistant material or steel.

5.A mid-muffler was designed to give out a "bass roar" which was the sound i desired. This includes fins and meshes which resonate the sound waves generated by combustion.

All the above was mild-steel but of good quality, you can opt for stainless-steel (commonly known as SS)if you want to spend more dough.

6. I opted for a very common design end-can made of SS. The inner is usually filled with glass wool and meshing to hold the same. This mesh can be of a spiral design or straight through with a plain surface or contoured surface, this depends on the type of sound the muffler is supposed to produce. Lenght of the muffler will also play a role in the type of sound output. Longer=more bass as sound waves travel a longer length through the meshes and glass wool thus modulating the sound.
Shorter=Sharper roar, less bass as sound travels less distance.
But you also opt for others, as i personally like the blue-tipped ones.

My set-up was welded from the point the stock exhaust pipe was cut, so i had to make sure there were no leaks. You also get bolt connector types but you have to make sure packing between connections dont give away or become loose.

Total time taken was approximately 2.5 hours.
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:04   #352

http://www.automechexhausts.com/

Hi , Is anyone else having problem opening Automech site ? I have been trying for the past 2 days and all i get is " HTTP 404 Not Found". Any help?
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:11   #353
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Raj Thackeray was the webmaster. Please wait for some time, it's a problem from their side...
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:00   #354
Senior - BHPian

Anyone got the FFE done from Electra? Once heard that they charge Rs.18,000/- for a complete set of FFE including headers for a Swift.

Indicated them its much cheaper in Bangalore and half of the price in Mumbai (Viper). Any idea why its so costly with Krupesh/Kamalesh showroom
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:11   #355
BHPian

HTTP 403 (Forbidden) "You are not authorized to view this page": is the message I'm getting.

OT: Has anyone got strut braces from Automech for an OHC or similar Sedan? What's the price?
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:39   #356
BHPian

Other than exhausts, do automech do anything else?
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:25   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
OT: Has anyone got strut braces from Automech for an OHC or similar Sedan? What's the price?
I doubt Automech sells anything apart from exhaust systems. Are you sure on that?
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:38   #358
Senior - BHPian

AutoMECH Engineers

Seems like they might've started selling strut braces, but until the site starts working, you can't know for sure.
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:44   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Anyone got the FFE done from Electra? Once heard that they charge Rs.18,000/- for a complete set of FFE including headers for a Swift.

Indicated them its much cheaper in Bangalore and half of the price in Mumbai (Viper). Any idea why its so costly with Krupesh/Kamalesh showroom
I think a Kolkata Octy 1.8 (owned by a Bhpian) has some parts from Electra.

A lot depends on the kind of material used for the headers, head wraps, end can piping, etc. Its very difficult to justify which is value for money and a lot also depends on the vehicle and its configurations, like a Titanium exhaust will not do anything more than the mild steel when used on a Swift but in cars like Nissan Skyline and the likes, it could provide substantial gains/results.

A lot would also depend on how much premium/labor one wants to charge for his service/brand.

Last edited by dipen : 23rd October 2008 at 00:46.
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:21   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I doubt Automech sells anything apart from exhaust systems. Are you sure on that?
Their website has struts as a product since ages now, so I asked. I did read somewhere on the forum about them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks