Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2005, 22:28   #16
Team-BHP Support

A coconut shattered my wifes M 800 rear screen - was held together by the film.

Rang them up at 1 pm - gave me a quote and we fixed up for 4.00pm - they arrived a little late. Placed canvas in and around the car, knocked everything out and replaced the glass in 20 min flat - all for Rs 900. Only criticism is that the poor guys do not wear gloves

Recommended
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Windscreen Scratches - What to do?

Note from Mod - Threads merged

Hi all,

I have very very fine scratch like lines on my windshield. Very difficult to spot in the day or even in the night. But when the headlights from the opposing traffic focus on my car, I clearly see these scratch like lines. In fact they are very distracting when there is high-beam traffic from the opposite.

I tried to analyse what these scratches could be and tried all that a lot of what has been suggested on TBHP...like toothpaste, newspaper...All the windshild got cleaned with not steacky/oily layer now but these fine scratch lines remain.

2 of these scratch lines seem to be in the direction of the wiper movement and are 4 to 5 inches in length. But there are others witch are very small (quarter of inches in length) and are seen in virtuall all directions (horizntal, vertical and a lot of them in sort of semi-concentric circles)....

I may have been guilty of having changed the wipers very late...so that may have caused the 2 longer lines, but others, I have no clue?

What can be the cause?

And more importantly, need HELP.....

Please advice me on how to clean up these?
Night driving has become a problem (especially on undevided roads).

And the scratches are so fine, it sounds a BIG OVERKILL to change the windshield for this (and very expensive too)...

...SOS...

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2007 at 23:18. Reason: threads merged note
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Since you have already tried the other methods, like toothpaste etc, there is NO other way than to go for the BIG OVERKILL.

Its for your own safety during the night drives.

Last edited by dadu : 2nd August 2007 at 12:27.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:43   #19
BHPian

change the windscreen as soon as you can.
safety first.
you can take an insurance claim on it.i think you'll have to bear the cost of the sealant though.(ncb goes too).
and this time get a good pair of wipers and windshield washer fluid in the wiper wash reservoir tank.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

You can try to get it buffed from some experienced workshop, but if you have some minor cracks they wont be able to do it.

They will charge you around 1k.

My suggestion, get the WS changed.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

It happens mainly because :

1.Cleaning the windscreed with cloth when there is dust on it and without pouring water on it.

2. Use of wiper without spraying water when there are dust particles on the screen.

3.Writing names on a "dust full" windscreen

Now the only thing i think you can do is change it under insurance...if at all its creating problems in night light.
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:09   #22
BHPian

[quote]may have been guilty of having changed the wipers very late...so that may have caused the 2 longer lines, but others, I have no clue?[quote]
Do you have a car washing guy? ask him..
No practical way to remove scratches, you can get them replaced.
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
change the windscreen as soon as you can.
safety first.
you can take an insurance claim on it.i think you'll have to bear the cost of the sealant though.(ncb goes too).
and this time get a good pair of wipers and windshield washer fluid in the wiper wash reservoir tank.
Can the insurance be claimed for these minor scratches?

How?
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Can the insurance be claimed for these minor scratches?How?
Insurance can be claimed for changed windscreen not for rectifying the minor scratches.
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:40   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh ya, I mean can the windscreen be replaced under insurrance simply because it had developed scratches?
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:41   #26
Team-BHP Support

Anandpadhye,

Please PM me and tell me which thread you would like your thread merged into.

Also, please search before creating a new thread.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2007 at 23:16.
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Oh ya, I mean can the windscreen be replaced under insurrance simply because it had developed scratches?
Well, then i reckon the only way out is break it and then claim insurance
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:56   #28
RiO

I had to change my windscreen when a coconut fell from a 3-story-high tree and smashed it... all I paid was 1k for the claim. This may not sound very sane, but it's the only way to get it replaced without paying: inflict a little damage to the windscreen and claim
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The dealer also asked me to bring the car in and if I don't have a heart to do it myself, he said he will break the windscreen after I leave and claim the insurance.

I am not sure if I should take this route (costs may force me to...but still)...

BTW, I encountered an interesting post at:
Scratched Windscreen [Archive] - MBClub Forums

The relevant post says:
Glass is not actually a solid. Because of the high melting point at normal temperature it is a supercooled fluid. (so effing what, millions cry!)

The answer is that it will very slowly flow, as seen in old windows where the glass has started to bow out at the bottom. So heavy long term rubbing with a chammy leather alone can actually make the glass flow into small scratched areas.
I have done this on a couple of old glass items and it works. But be warned, it takes a long time!

And this is what BMW site says:
Windscreens

A Genuine BMW windscreen has to prove in countless tests that it too can handle stone chips and scratches.
Not every little scratch needs to result in the windscreen being replaced completely. In around 70% of cases, your BMW dealer has a more economical solution – they repair the damage with a special UV sensitive resin that matches the refractive index of the windscreen and which hardens immediately to a crystal clear finish, as tough as glass. This method is only effective however, if carried out shortly after the damage is sustained.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 2nd August 2007 at 15:19.
Old 2nd August 2007, 16:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Mods,
Please merge this thread with windshield experts thread...

I had done a search for exisitng threads but only with the word "windscreen". Forgot to try "windshield"....

My apologies.

BTW, called up windshield experts. They said they will replace the windshield and the price quoted was better than Honda dealer.

They also said they could try polishing the current windshield but on some occasions that had broken the glass.

I will visit them soon if no in-house remedy is found....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks