Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2014, 11:26   #91
BHPian

Re: Windshield Experts (Fixing scratched / broken windshields / windscreens)

Hi All, couple of days before while driving a stone bounced off the road from a truck and hit my car's windshield just in front of the drivers view area. It is chip off and there are no cracks. The chip off cannot be felt from inside. Windshield Expert is quoting 7500 for replacing and if I claim it through insurance I have to pay 2k from my pocket. I got in touch with service center and they quoted 10400 and 3k would be from my pocked.

How will be the quality of glass if I get it done from windshield expert? Or shall I go to the authorized service center and get the work done. I am bit confused. Please advice.
Old 29th March 2014, 16:10   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hi All, couple of days before while driving a stone bounced off the road from a truck and hit my car's windshield just in front of the drivers view area. It is chip off and there are no cracks. The chip off cannot be felt from inside. Windshield Expert is quoting 7500 for replacing and if I claim it through insurance I have to pay 2k from my pocket. I got in touch with service center and they quoted 10400 and 3k would be from my pocked.

How will be the quality of glass if I get it done from windshield expert? Or shall I go to the authorized service center and get the work done. I am bit confused. Please advice.
I have availed the services of Windshield Experts (Dickenson Road branch in Bangalore) for windshield replacement. They were quite good and professional. The insurance claim process was also handled in a smooth way. I am satisfied with the overall job, no issues.
spradheep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 16:26   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There quality is as good as the authorized service centre and they use the same glass too.I had got my Santro's windshield changed at there dickenson road centre way back in 2005 and they were pretty professional that time too. But why don't you just leave the glass as it is since there is no crack. Stone hits are inevitable and until there is serious damage to the glass, I feel one can continue driving. Even my BMW got a similar chip off from a stone hit right in front of the driver. But there is no crack and it is not obscuring the driver's vision. Hence I am letting it be there.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 22:08   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
There quality is as good as the authorized service centre and they use the same glass too.I had got my Santro's windshield changed at there dickenson road centre way back in 2005 and they were pretty professional that time too. But why don't you just leave the glass as it is since there is no crack. Stone hits are inevitable and until there is serious damage to the glass, I feel one can continue driving. Even my BMW got a similar chip off from a stone hit right in front of the driver. But there is no crack and it is not obscuring the driver's vision. Hence I am letting it be there.
After reading your post I am contemplating to leave the chip as it is. It’s not big actually not even the size of 50 paisa coin. It is not obscuring my vision. But it’s a new car that I purchased on 1st Jan of this year so it is disheartening to see the chip right in front of the eyes.
Old 29th March 2014, 22:20   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After reading your post I am contemplating to leave the chip as it is. It’s not big actually not even the size of 50 paisa coin. It is not obscuring my vision. But it’s a new car that I purchased on 1st Jan of this year so it is disheartening to see the chip right in front of the eyes.
I can understand as I went through the same thing. Imagine getting it on your new bimmer. But then what is the guarantee that you wont get another stone hit right the next day. Its something that cannot be avoided. So unless there is a crack or its coming in way of your driving then get it changed. Else leave it as it is.
Old 29th March 2014, 23:53   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I got a small chip on my Accord too. Rather than giving the chip a chance to grow, and maybe form a crack, do something about it. I ordered this a few weeks ago
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yet to try it, but it should be better than leaving the chip untreated.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 00:04   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I got a small chip on my Accord too. Rather than giving the chip a chance to grow, and maybe form a crack, do something about it. I ordered this a few weeks ago
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yet to try it, but it should be better than leaving the chip untreated.
Have you used it yet? The chip on my car is now more than a month old and shows no signs of expansion. But if you can tell me more about this product then I can surely look into this.
Old 30th March 2014, 00:08   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have you used it yet? The chip on my car is now more than a month old and shows no signs of expansion. But if you can tell me more about this product then I can surely look into this.
I have it with me, but I was out of town for 2 weeks. Will try it tomorrow hopefully and let you know. Its a DIY thing to fill in the chip.
Old 30th March 2014, 09:29   #99
BHPian

@akshay1234 I have attached the pics of the chip off on my car's windshield. Do you think that these can be fixed by the product that you have mentioned?
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield Experts (Fixing scratched / broken windshields / windscreens)-img_20140330_091340.jpg  

Windshield Experts (Fixing scratched / broken windshields / windscreens)-img_20140330_091310.jpg  

Old 30th March 2014, 09:57   #100
Senior - BHPian

We had a small chip and hairline crack on the outer layer of the windshield of my bro's Punto. The poor car had already been through a windshield replacement and I didn't want the guys to rip off the windscreen again.

I purchased ABRO windshield repair kit and tried it on the car, though it didn't hide the damage completely as if nothing had happened, it sure did fill it up and you can hardly feel the damage with the fingernail from the outside.

Will post pics shortly.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 10:03   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I purchased ABRO windshield repair kit and tried it on the car, though it didn't hide the damage completely as if nothing had happened, it sure did fill it up and you can hardly feel the damage with the fingernail from the outside. Will post pics shortly.
Could you please let me know from where did you purchase ABRO windshield repair kit. I searched on popular eCommerce sites but on all the sites it is out of stock.
Old 30th March 2014, 10:14   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please let me know from where did you purchase ABRO windshield repair kit. I searched on popular eCommerce sites but on all the sites it is out of stock.
I had purchased it from eBay. Let me check the seller and get back.
Old 10th July 2014, 23:09   #103
NKN
BHPian

After 6 years & 80K Kms of usage, my SX4 had developed many scratches and few small chips on the front windscreen. This effects causes stain at during night especially on 2 lane undivided roads. Are there any garages/windshield experts in Pune who are know to fix these.
How effective are the DIY products mentioned in the earlier posts, do they effect or improve visibility.
Old 7th January 2015, 13:26   #104
BHPian

So my XUV has a small crack in the windshield. Not even sure how it happened as I saw it like that after I came into the parking.

Now I am planning to replace the windscreen. Called up the service center folks @ Sireesh Auto, they are quoting 12.5K for replacing the same and they said it would need the vehicle to be kept at the service center overnight.

But I see the windscreen experts doing the same at home. And they seem to be recommended and VFM as well.

I am confused. Any suggestions ?
Old 7th January 2015, 13:52   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post
So my XUV has a small crack in the windshield.

planning to replace the windscreen. Called up the service center folks, they are quoting 12.5K for replacing the same.
But I see the windscreen experts doing the same at home. And they seem to be recommended and VFM as well.

I am confused. Any suggestions ?
@carChef, I had a similar issue with my car windshield, a crack that was about an inch long. I too thought windshield experts could fix the crack and called to find out and they say cracks aren't repairable but chips and scratches can be sorted. I then went ahead and replaced the windshield with them itself as it turned out they were quoting lesser prices than the ASC folks. And they have good quality Asahi glass which is exactly the same as OE.
Give them a call and they'd give you a clear picture of everything. This is their nation wide toll free number: 1800-102-6364.
Good luck

Last edited by msaudf : 7th January 2015 at 13:56.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks