Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 16:07   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Touch up paint tubes

Nobody ever realises how many shades of white or black there are until they buy a white or black car and need to touch up a scratch.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 11:53   #392
BHPian

DIY or ASS?

Bad news guys, bumped the rear of my lovely Ford Classic on to an electric post two days back. Compared to the intensity of the crash I must say that the damage is nothing, but still, it's the first dent on my baby and everytime I look at her, I feel so guilty and sorry!. Here's what it looks like.

Touch up paint tubes-scratch.jpg

I don't think I can live with this any longer, so what is the way to go guys? DIY with some repair kit or contact the ASS. And can somebody shed some light on the approximate cost involved in clearing such a dent?
Old 30th November 2014, 20:10   #393
BHPian

Re: DIY or ASS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
I don't think I can live with this any longer, so what is the way to go guys? DIY with some repair kit or contact the ASS. And can somebody shed some light on the approximate cost involved in clearing such a dent?
The ASS will recommend touchup of half the bumper,should cost you abt 1.5 to 2,000/- But it will be a perfect job
Alternatively you can touch it up yourself. The bumper is plastic so no danger of rusting. Get small quantity of the right colour from any DuPont colour shop. Ask them for 50 ml which is plenty. Use fine sandpaper to smoothen the spot and touchup with a fine artists paint brush. It will be practically invisible from 5 feet away.
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 12:02   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nobody ever realises how many shades of white or black there are until they buy a white or black car and need to touch up a scratch.
I had this same thought that too having a pearl metallic white finish. I have to give this painter full marks for this job he did:

Before:

Touch up paint tubes-1.jpg

Touch up paint tubes-2.jpg

After two coats of base metallic white:

Touch up paint tubes-3.jpg

After the pearl metallic clear coat

Touch up paint tubes-4.jpg

Note that ONLY the plane containing the scratch was painted and not the side itself. I wanted the paint to cover as less area as possible. Paid him 250 for this one. Even the metallic particles are the same size and they reflect evenly with the original paint.

Last edited by audioholic : 11th January 2015 at 12:07.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 21:32   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
My chauffy badly scratched my i20 last week.
This is really helpful. I have been using com-paint for touch-up purpose for few years. I was not much aware regarding the usage of merging solvent and cut-polish. I used to mess up with these two things. Its clear from your DIY now.

Last edited by ampere : 26th July 2015 at 23:03. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:32   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I had this same thought that too having a pearl metallic white finish. I have to give this painter full marks for this job he did:

Note that ONLY the plane containing the scratch was painted and not the side itself. I wanted the paint to cover as less area as possible. Paid him 250 for this one. Even the metallic particles are the same size and they reflect evenly with the original paint.
Very neat job! Can you please share where it was done? I would like to get my car bumper scratch painted.
Old 21st April 2016, 09:19   #397
BHPian

Seeking your inputs and advice !

My wife's taffeta white jazz cvt (2015) has taken a minor beating over the last 6 months. the bumper has seen its fair share of scrapes and scratches, but this didn't concern me much. Then i noticed that the bonnet had been "keyed" by some imbeciles at the hospital where she works - this got me thinking about a DIY touch-up. Recently i noticed that the metal where the bumper meets the body below the left headlight had also been scraped - this got me really worried and i decided to dedicate this weekend to addressing the issue.

After some hurried online searching i bought this : http://www.com-paint.com/products/co...k-kit-for-cars

It seems to have everything i need:

Can of Com-Paint Value Pack Kit of Selected Color (120 gm)
Can of Com-Merge, Finishing Solvent Spray (120 gm)
Tube of Com-Cut (50 gm)
Tube of Com-Fill (50 gm)
Com-Paint Rubber Applicator
Com-Paint Emery Pads of 400 and 2500 Grits

Has anyone used this brand or this kit before ? If so what has been your experience ? I shall post before after and during shots this weekend.
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:13   #398
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Seeking your inputs and advice !

My wife's taffeta white jazz cvt (2015) has taken a minor beating over the last 6 months. the bumper has seen its fair share of scrapes and scratches, but this didn't concern me much. Then i noticed that the bonnet had been "keyed" by some imbeciles at the hospital where she works - this got me thinking about a DIY touch-up. Recently i noticed that the metal where the bumper meets the body below the left headlight had also been scraped - this got me really worried and i decided to dedicate this weekend to addressing the issue.

After some hurried online searching i bought this : http://www.com-paint.com/products/co...k-kit-for-cars

It seems to have everything i need:

Can of Com-Paint Value Pack Kit of Selected Color (120 gm)
Can of Com-Merge, Finishing Solvent Spray (120 gm)
Tube of Com-Cut (50 gm)
Tube of Com-Fill (50 gm)
Com-Paint Rubber Applicator
Com-Paint Emery Pads of 400 and 2500 Grits

Has anyone used this brand or this kit before ? If so what has been your experience ? I shall post before after and during shots this weekend.

I have a few of these in Silver for the Yeti as Im a victim to many vandalising attempts. Frankly these are not the best products in the market.
Much better going to the tinker/ painter and getting a full job our touch up job done.
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:32   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditmohanty View Post
I personally do not have good experience with them. First time [Com-Paint Paint Pen Kit] it was almost a dried pen sent to me and they asked for snaps etc and the guy saurav gaur decided to keep mum.
Don't even talk about Com-Paint and Mr. Gaur. Any mail to him more often than not gets responded by different people in the department rather than Mr. Gaur himself. And the responses are astounding. In my case I ordered 2 cans of paint as a follow up to the 1st can which I ran out of. But when I sprayed them they had a huge difference in shade! The 1st lone can was a much closer match. I was taken aback and wrote to Mr. Gaur's mail id. After much back and forth and sending of the pics they came up with a hilarious suggestion. Please use the com-cut paste and spray some paint in it. Use that as the base and post drying and rubbing with the emery paint only 1-2 quote! Go figure! When I objected saying what kind of jugaad you are telling me and that at the very least you owe me 2 cans of a better matching shade (I know you can because the first one was a more proper match) they just went mum.

I think this is one typical, shady company that besides the missing minimum required customer orientation also has some wobbly QA practices. I can't fathom how can a standard paint color can come with different shades in different lots!

My take - Stay clear of Com Paints!
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:58   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

I think this is one typical, shady company that besides the missing minimum required customer orientation also has some wobbly QA practices. I can't fathom how can a standard paint color can come with different shades in different lots!

My take - Stay clear of Com Paints!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm quite stressed now. I'm glad it wasn't too expensive. When it reaches I'll spray a bit behind the fuel tank cover to check for a match.

I saw the pens and skipped that section entirely due to bad experiences with pen based solutions in the past.

Another issue that's troubling me is how to go about masking the area properly. I might use 3m scotch tape.
Old 4th September 2016, 11:01   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend I crawled my new Celerio into a stone step in my village, since the step was protuding out of a plain wall and I failed to notice it near the bumper. Though the car crawled slowly into the step in neutral, it caused some damage. I couldnt take pictures of the actual damage then, but I took a picture after levelling out the scratch using body filler:

Touch up paint tubes-img_0313.jpg

Touch up paint tubes-img_0315.jpg

Then headed to the same paint guy I mentioned a few posts above. Since this was a new shade for him, he didnt even have the shade card with him. Yet he got out the correct match, and got it painted. Here is the final result:

Touch up paint tubes-img_0317.jpg

Only the highlighted area was painted. Nothing apart from that area.

Touch up paint tubes-img_0318ee.jpg

Touch up paint tubes-img_0318.jpg

For a total cost of 550, I came home with a grin on my face and a lot of paint still left, in case there are any future needs

Once its cured, I will run my rotary around the area to buff out the edges and bring a continuous shine along the panel.

Last edited by audioholic : 4th September 2016 at 11:05.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 00:28   #402
BHPian

My Ritz recently got damaged at the front left side portion near the wheel arch. What would be the best fix for this? DIY solution looks risky considering the area to be painted.
Recommendations for workshops that do touch-up paint job at reasonable prices are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Touch up paint tubes-1473447478142.jpg  

Old 10th September 2016, 08:44   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
My Ritz recently got damaged at the front left side portion near the wheel arch. What would be the best fix for this? DIY solution looks risky considering the area to be painted.
Recommendations for workshops that do touch-up paint job at reasonable prices are welcome.
Find a local paint shop and ask them to spot fix this area like how I got it done for my Celerio. You can get the whole job done in less than 1k. It looks like most of the damage can be cleaned out by buffing. Whatever is left after buffing you can either leave it or get only that part painted. If you live in South Bangalore let me know. I can guide you to the shop I get such things done from.
Old 10th September 2016, 09:40   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you live in South Bangalore let me know. I can guide you to the shop I get such things done from.
I live is South Bangalore, and have a similar issue with my XUV. Was planning to get it stickered or now. Would not mind knowing about this shop though.

Cheers,
Ajay
Old 10th September 2016, 09:46   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I live is South Bangalore, and have a similar issue with my XUV. Was planning to get it stickered or now. Would not mind knowing about this shop though.

Cheers,
Ajay
This is the shop I am talking about :
S No 426,14th Cross Road, Yediyur, Basavanagudi, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560028
https://goo.gl/maps/cnwjzL8bs1m

I am not sure if other paint shops do a similar job, but this guy is great at paint matching. He charged 185 bucks for the paint and there is a painter available opposite his shop. However in my case I had filled and sanded the scratches myself and just needed spraying. Hence he might charge more or take more time. Not sure about that. But main concern for me was paint match in which he did an excellent job. Just check with him once. If you are planning to come sometime then let me know. I stay close by and can meet you if required.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks