Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 21:51   #301
BHPian

Re: Touch up paint tubes

This video takes you through the various steps of a paint (touch-up) process.

Here is a summary of the steps:
  • Sand paper 1500/2000 grit to even out the edges of the scratches
  • Prep Spray or Household Alcohol tissue (to remove tar, dirt, wax and grease)
  • Primer to fill large gaps/scratches – 2/3 coats, dry for 20 minutes (cover the scratch and surrounding areas)
  • Original Paint – put a light coat and repeat 2/3 times – The car color will be usually indicated on the drivers side door jam
  • Clear Coat for the gloss
  • Masking tape and news paper to prevent overspray
  • Wear a 3M mask
  • Hold the can 8-10 inches from object while spray painting

Dupli-Color is available on Amazon but I haven't tried it yet.

A cycle has left a 12 inch long scratch on my car which goes down to the metal. So I am currently exploring different paint options to remove the scratch.
Old 9th April 2012, 17:52   #302

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on the board.

Also, do NOT attempt to run down your product's competitors. Leave the criticism to actual users of the product.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2012 at 13:21. Reason: Note Inline
y2vikram is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th April 2012, 21:36   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Paintscratch.com

These USA people work by the manufacturer's colour codes, so the paints they supply should be an exact match.

Unfortunately, spray cans and larger quantities are not available for overseas orders.

I have some very fine scratches on my polo, but some are deep enough to reach through the colour. Nothing down to metal, I'm glad to say. VW, over the past year or two, had two different names for the glacier (now 'emotion' blue) and I could not find the colour code on Paintscratch's site. After a little web detective work on the colour names, I emailed them the results, which they confirmed, and added the year/manufacturer/model/colour so that it showed up on their site. They replied to every email within an hour or two, even the one appreciating the quick delivery.

I ordered touch-up pens of my custom colour and clearcoat, along with some various grades of wet-&-dry and a small pouch of rubbing compound.

Ordered March 30th --- delivered April 7th. Pretty good going.

The bad news? It's expensive, especially including shipping. My little kit cost me over US$40.

I have no idea how well I'll be able to do the job, and won't have the chance to find out for a couple of weeks. It would actually be easier if the scratches were wider.

Back in 1990, my UK VW Golf had a proper touch-up kit supplied with the car.
Old 12th May 2012, 20:00   #304
BHPian

Friends, I own a Punto 2012, witha Oceanic blue shade, falling in the "Even God cannot help" category as I realise each day. Numerous scratches : explained and unexplained, and unasked for gifts by cabbies, cyclists and rush hour traffic in general. My car had gotten a bad scratch in its first month, with the temporary number still. I got it repaired thru insurance, but, in the process, I had asked the workshop fellow to paint half a small sheet of aluminum 6inch x 4" (the bathroom door protect type, 26SWG) I had given him, with the oceanic blue paint when he paints the car, and keep the other half of the "palette" empty for me to use when need arises. In other words : I can check the original color and my "mix" for shade match by comparing them side by side.
In the meanwhile, I had started just gathering stuff: Mseal white, NC putty fillers etc, just for the sake of "might need it one day" for DIY. (Thanks Joy Bhaumik for his wonderful writeupseveral months back.)

In the meanwhile, I had also ordered a "Deep Ocean Blue" Com Paint pack from their site. Now, this shade is meant for Hyundai, but they do not have nor do they plan to have Oceanic Blue shade for Punto. I had a long discussion with them. So I just thought experimenting. The pack arrived just today afternoon. I used the unpainted part of the "palette". Three light coats seem to match the Fiat Oceanic blue real life "shade card" that I had prepared. More coats: it becomes darker. Now I have not yet used the top cut cream to finish it, because I removed the paint soon enough to keep my palette clean. So I hope in real use, experimenting a few times with the number of coats would help match the new Punto and Linea 2012 OBlue shade.

As usual, disclaimers are in place: these findings are entirely a result of my experimentation as a Punto lover. I still design electronic circuits for a living;no way connected to COMPAINT.

Cheers...

Ranajay
Old 17th August 2012, 18:17   #305

I have been trying to find a suitable thread as I didn't want to start a thread just for this .
I just crashed my bike , a 6month old R15 V2 . Gave side to car in a narrow road , didn't see the slush on the side . I wasn't hurt at all but R15 suffered some scratches . Now am not sure whether it needs a touch or do I have to get the entire panel repainted . Any info would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Touch up paint tubes-20120817-17.44.02.jpg  

Touch up paint tubes-20120817-17.45.29.jpg  

Touch up paint tubes-20120817-17.45.43.jpg  

Touch up paint tubes-20120817-17.45.07.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2012, 20:02   #306
BHPian

My little experiment with Nippon Phylox Automotive paint Can. colour: silver. Cost. Rs.150/- 3 coats after applying plastic primer.

Original colour was beige :
Touch up paint tubes-wip.jpg
Touch up paint tubes-wip2.jpg
Touch up paint tubes-final.jpg

if you are a DIY lover. its a great feeling

Chears.
toms_2191 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:07   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2STROKE View Post
Now am not sure whether it needs a touch or do I have to get the entire panel repainted . Any info would be appreciated
The entire panel will be repainted at Yamaha dealership (If at all they do repaint. Someone told me they generally replace the panel). Just a touch-up wont work. The shade does not match, the finishing is improper and it doesn't look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_2191 View Post
My little experiment with Nippon Phylox Automotive paint Can.
The result is awesome! Great job.
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:27   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
The entire panel will be repainted at Yamaha dealership (If at all they do repaint. Someone told me they generally replace the panel). Just a touch-up wont work. The shade does not match, the finishing is improper and it doesn't look good.
they dont do painting jobs at yamaha showrooms atleast at Shinrai Yamaha ,cochin from where i bought my bike . They adviced to either get it painted outside or replace the panels . Quoted Rs 2500 for the same
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:04   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2STROKE View Post
Now am not sure whether it needs a touch or do I have to get the entire panel repainted . Any info would be appreciated
It seems to be a non metallic Red. why don't you try a DIY with com paint can ? Buy some Metalic primer which can be bought in small quantities from a paint retailer. ( There used to be one DuPont dealer on the road opposit to St Antonys church) and a tube of DuPont touch up putty ( will cost you Rs. 350/-)

Trust me you will enjoy the work
Cheers!
Old 1st September 2012, 00:45   #310
BANNED

How much does it costs to repaint the entire car ? I have Maruti Ritz Bakers Chocolate ?

People here have given mixed reviews about com-paint. Do not want to try it.
Old 1st September 2012, 22:43   #311
BHPian

Quote:
My little experiment with Nippon Phylox Automotive paint Can. colour: silver. Cost. Rs.150/- 3 coats after applying plastic primer.

if you are a DIY lover. its a great feeling

Chears.
Hi there,

How does one procure Nippon Phylox Automotive paint Can?

There website is silent about the methods of purchase. Is it available online?

BTW, a very neat job.

Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:52   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hi there,

How does one procure Nippon Phylox Automotive paint Can?

There website is silent about the methods of purchase. Is it available online?

BTW, a very neat job.

Thanks.
Thanks, I bought it from a regular automotive paint shop. i don't think its available online. Go for com paint if you are trying for a touch up for matching paints. Nippon Phylox comes only in standard colours and may not match with manufacturers .

Cheers.
toms_2191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 11:46   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I bought it from a regular automotive paint shop. i don't think its available online. Go for com paint if you are trying for a touch up for matching paints. Nippon Phylox comes only in standard colours and may not match with manufacturers .

Cheers.
Hi toms,
saw your DIY paint work, has come out extremely good. i am working on painting a Luna at my garrage, but confused about few steps to follow, will you please help me ?
1. I clened the surface by sanding ( used 300/600/1000 grit emrey), it has come out clean.
2. applied Primer coat
3. sanded the area agin with mild sand to make surface smooth
but the primer coat came out with this,
what are the right steps tom ? is it Putty after primer or first putty & then primer ??
my e mail id : ananth.murthypn@wipro.com
ananth
Old 26th November 2012, 15:58   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Hi toms,
saw your DIY paint work, has come out extremely good. i am working on painting a Luna at my garrage, but confused about few steps to follow, will you please help me ?
1. I clened the surface by sanding ( used 300/600/1000 grit emrey), it has come out clean.
2. applied Primer coat
3. sanded the area agin with mild sand to make surface smooth
but the primer coat came out with this,
what are the right steps tom ? is it Putty after primer or first putty & then primer ??
my e mail id : ananth.murthypn@wipro.com
ananth
i suppose you are using it on metal surface, i dont see any fault till now in your process. again i am not an expert to commet on it. use a filler putty or fine touch up putty and wet sand it with 1000/1500/2000 grit wet and dry paper. then go for primer, base coat, paint and clear coat in the order.

Post sone pic of your current state so others can also help you.
Old 14th January 2013, 16:43   #315
BHPian

DIY: How to repaint a bumper scratch.

I was undergoing through Bluevolt’s ownership report on Honda City. I came across this product called com-paint value pack for cars(http://www.com-paint.com/Product_Detail.aspx mpgid=44&pgid=44&productid=11&catid=2&model=&color =&qty=1&ccode=). My car suffered a scratch on the rear bumper right side. I didn’t even know who scrape my rear end as it happened when my car was parked properly in one corner. Left with not much choice I have to deal with the scratch myself. So I ordered the com-paint value pack for cars (Model: Ford. Colour: Sea Grey colour).
This Pack consists of 1 can of Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint(120gms), 1 Can of Com-Merge, Finishing Solvent Spray(120 gms) and 1 Tube of Com-Cut(50 gms)+1 1000 No. Water Proof Emery Paper
The Spraying Instructions are as follows.
• Shake the can vigorously until the agitator ball moves freely.
• Hold the cans straight in upright position and spray a few puffs in air so that the paint starts flowing.
• Spray from a distance approx. 10”-12” from the surface to avoid dripping of paint.
• Apply light coats till you get the desired level of matching. Wait for 2 minutes between coat.
• In case the paint shade appears darker, simply remove the paint sprayed using Com-Merge(available in VALUE PACK) and retouch it up.
• Immediately after painting, apply Com-Merge on the Overspray to merge it and dissolves it. Finally after 24 hours, apply Com-Cut(Provided) with a soft cloth and followed by polishing the surface with a wax polish(Aeroshot Liquid Wax Polish available separately).
• Clean the spray button after use. If spray button clots, rinse it in thinner and replace.
Points to note:
• Retouch work should be done in a closed garage ideally on a dry, suny day; not outside on a cold and windy day.
• It is better to wait for about 10 minutes before applying Com-Merge. And when applying it very small amount has to be sprayed, otherwise it will dissolve the paint and beading will form- the paint might run over the non scratch areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Touch up paint tubes-dsc06542.jpg  

Touch up paint tubes-dsc06543.jpg  

Touch up paint tubes-dsc06549.jpg  

Touch up paint tubes-dsc06550.jpg  

Touch up paint tubes-dsc06553.jpg  

Touch up paint tubes-dsc06554.jpg  

docmoya2007 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks