Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2007, 17:04   #16
BHPian

Hi Guys take a look to my Re-painted 1993 Maruthi 800...... im waiting for ur valuable suggestion and comments.....
Old 16th March 2007, 17:20   #17
BHPian

sunilchakola is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2007, 18:39   #18
BHPian

sweet !

man that is one sweet M800 except for the halogens @ front..
i have a white '86 model ( similar bodyshell ) and plan to restore it in next 5-6 months... and this already gives me few ideas..

Loved those rims too.. look really good on your ride.

Old 19th March 2007, 10:00   #19
BHPian

sunilchakola-neat ride there, but pls try to get rid of the ornaments used in there,the steel emblem on the steering,the fog lamps[its not blending with the car],the two fake scoops on the bonnet,the mud flap at the rear[ use a small sleeker mud flap at the front not the back,but the if you really need at the back go for much simpler body huggin flaps , something like the 1 that comes with accent, this looks like some black rubber sheet hanging there,take of the visor like thing from the window area,dude whats happened to the rubber boot of the gear lever, looks like some1's got caught with pants down,go for a much simpler smaller font for the number.this are my suggestions to make your car look great.check out the site which edmund started in modding his maruthi800, you will come to know what i am trying to say.
Old 20th March 2007, 16:43   #20
BHPian

@hkanitkar & @desigNation thanks for the comments n ur suggestions...

Hi desigNation - the ornament u seen in the steering wheel is not an ornament its a blessed emblum of an angel the caption says tht ("Son Please Drive Safelly")

Trying to say abt fog lamps its very useful for me while i drive to Bangalore-kerala every two months in the night....

abt the scoops my frnds r searching for tht same scoops, its not avalable in the mrkt now i bought it 4 yrs ago...

im planning to buy the rally type long mud flaps (sparco)!!!anyway thanks for the suggestions... let me think tht one also (Accent flaps)..

Interior is not finished yet... need to put the leather boot for the gear(blue color)....
Old 20th March 2007, 17:30   #21
BHPian

My Modded 1993 Suzuki 800

My Modded 1993 Suzuki 800:

Side Indicators:- Indica VS turbo (clear lens)
Head lamp:- Autopal Clear Lens
Tyre Rims:- New Model 800
Interior:- Art Leather - with head rests for the rear seats & Lumbar support front Seats....

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...T/DSCN0610.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...T/DSCN0619.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...T/DSCN0605.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...T/DSCN0595.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...T/DSCN0607.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...T/DSCN0595.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...T/DSCN0599.jpg
Old 27th March 2007, 11:21   #22

Guys I have a 2000 MPFi 800.
Now my dad has decided to get a new car.
Mostly a ford fiesta.
However I don't think he has plans of selling the 800,which is still in stock condition.
So I might as well get to play around with it.
This baby has done less than 45k though it's 7 years old now.
Used oly for city riding.
Now I would like to mod it to it's limit.
Since Budget's a bit of a problem(duh!!!). I would still like to know what are the possible performance mods possible on an 800.
I have heard an esteem engine tansplant is very much possible.
I am first going to change the tyres to 165/60/R12 -- I have heard they are the best fits for an 800.
Than I would go for sporty seats.
Next things to change will be the engine,gearbox and the breaks.
Then will come K&N+FFE.
So guys any price estimates and any garage suggestions in Mumbai.
Old 27th March 2007, 20:47   #23
BHPian

sunilchakola-about the steel emblem,now that you told me what the words are pls do keep it, didnt know it was part of your belief,sorry[infact the words is amazing],about the fog lamps what i would suggest is ,go for a hella comet[rectangular1's] which would blend with the shape of the headlight other than round 1's,but then about the scoop like thing on the bonnet really looks outdated and ornamental as well as the visor like thing from the windows and the muffler tip,go for a solid lookin 1,this looks very tinny.your car looks well maintained, keep it up.hey dude what about mag wheels that would really enhance your car looks.
Old 31st March 2007, 22:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

M800 Mod experience

Maruti 800 5 Speed MPFI

Mods
Freeflow Exhaust (AUTOMECH) [Headers, expansion chamber and the muffler] Cost - 5k
K&N Conical AirFilter No:3550 /Cost - 5k
DIY PVC air intake
12'' Aura alloys and 165/65 R12 BridgeStone Potenza GIIIs
Odometer Reading : 78000kms

Well...i guess i'm late, real late in providing my experience regarding the modifications on an 800. Sorry about that and thanks to the final prod by Ajo to get me going. Suresh..i know i took my own sweet time on this

The freeflow exhaust went in at at around 45k and has done service for around 30,000kms now. The performance is satisfactory but there has been a learning curve associated with it. More of that later. Regarding the rust and stuff I would say that 2 years down the line i don't have much problem and it looks like the pipes will hold on fine for a year or two more at the least. However the gaskets (between the expansion chamber and the muffler) had sprung a leak which took away quite a bit of the performance. Source something here is a damned headache unless you know exactly what you are looking for. And those chappies in the dealer workshops don't know anything other than what they work on. So it took a bit of hunting around to get gaskets of the correct size. I finally fixed the problem and have a happy leak free exhaust now and the performance is nice now...esp the low end torque which had virtually disappeared. And now the engine is pretty quiet in normal revs. Its only when you give her the boot that the sound opens up. And I have more of a treble note at this level than bass.

Checkpoints : leaks!!

Freeflow + stock muffler

Every couple of months I get tired of the rumble in the bronx..uh..i mean the 800 ..so i've got me a stock muffler as well. The low end torque is simply great with the stock muffler due to the increased back pressure but at the top of the rev limit you can feel that the engine is not so free flowing...and uh..after a trip to the local mechanic to switch the mufflers i've figured how to do the stuff myself so i've made it a DIY affair now. Top end acceleration is a bit muted with the stock muffler but i guess it is better for everyday driving...esp if you have more of city driving.

K&N filter

On my experience I would advise anyone planning for a freeflow to go in for a K&N filter as well which really cleans up the breathing characteristics of the engine at both ends. The K&N filter and freeflow exhaust really work well together especially at high revs where if you have only free flow you'll be slightly starving the engine as it would be capable of taking in more air which the stock intake would not be able to provide. If going for a conical/extreme filter it would be wise to get the appropriate intake kit as well. The stock pipe just would give you the best result. the M800 does not have one available so i've had to fabricate a DIY PVC intake. Crude but it does the job.

Check points : relatively cool air and minimum restriction to air flow.

Tuning

Well this is an area where i recently started experimenting in with mixed results. Internet was my guide . One problem was the idle which was really rough at times. So the first sensor to recieve my attentions was the Throttle Position Sensor. So i just set it so that the idle became smooth...but in reality what i did was increase the base rpm resulting in higher revs. Well the alarming fall of the fuel guage knocked some sense into me. This coupled with the fact that the engine continued to rev for a couple of secs after i took my foot off the accelerator. Unnerving esp in those close braking situations!! So i set the TPS back to it's lowest level and went back to read more.

So I then came across an article that said that if the air flow or the exhaust system has any change you are to reset your ECU. Well I did that but not much changed. Things were good for the first 200kms and then I was back to where I started. So then I read an article that mentioned that, to let the idle settle properly you need to start up your engine in open loop and let the engine idle for sometime before setting it back into closed loop. The same article mentioned that the TPS rarely needs adjusting so i'm leaving it alone these days.

Before I continue...here's my gyaan on Closed loops and Open loops...
Those of have heard of control systems will know about feedback. To those who haven't feedback is the mechanism by which any system knows how it is performing. By reading the feedback signal the system then adjusts it's parameters to do the job better. Modern MPFI engines are no different. A principal element in this feedback loop is the Oxygen sensor. Search around you exhaust manifold to see this baby.

So i proceeded to send my engine into open loop by disconnecting my oxygen sensor. Started up the engine and let it idle without revving and immediately the engine settled into a more refined and vibration free idle. Took her out for a spin and I found out that the performance was markedly better as well and much smoother. Especially the exhaust note with the free flow muffler was softer, more bassy . However my experience is that driving the car only open loop for a 100kms or so and then connecting the sensor back gave me best results so far.

I do have a strange problem though. Sometime especially after washing the car the setup goes haywire. I know this as soon as i start the engine as the idle note becomes notably louder and when you accelerate there is more sound than before but less go.

Mileage
- worst - 16.5
best - 19.7
I mostly get figures in the 18s.
My drive could be described as 70% highway and 30% city. My car is non AC and the time i spend in idle is relatively less. Average speed is mostly in the 50s - 60s and being able to touch 80kmph and higher regularly in my drive to office. So I guess this should give you and idea of the road conditions.

All of what has been written has been my DIY experience (dangerous but i had no choice). Merciless critisism and editing of the various technical aspects would be most welcome.

And i'm still not 100% satisfied with the performance yet!!

drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 31st March 2007 at 22:24.
Old 9th April 2007, 01:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

source - orkut

Old 9th April 2007, 01:51   #26

Raised suspension?
Fibre hood?
Bigger tyres.(the rear one looks flat tho.)
sports seats.

I have a noobish question. What help is the scoop in the hood?
Is it just show?
Old 9th April 2007, 11:12   #27
BANNED

Guys,

I also own Maruti 800, its 12 yrs old baby but i am in love with her as she still ROCKS ! wanted to give her life, plz pour your valuable sugessions ( with snaps), my baby is in white color

Thx,
Jitendra
Old 21st April 2007, 17:38   #28
BHPian

faithless 1984-
the 800 looks overdone,no aesthetic sense.
nicejits-just add good mag wheels,leather seats,add an rpm meter, change steering wheel to smaller sportier 1's[pls avoid wood finishes on steering]paint the window posts satin black[not matt or glossy]remove the back mud flaps,go for simple font on number board,dont put any stickers on the number board[check my gallery for the font]add an imported exhaust tip,which gives bigger look to it[dont by the locally made one's]to top it all install a good ice,this itself would enhance the looks of u'r 800.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:41   #29
BHPian

@ Designation - can u know the rate n fitting charges for the RPM Meter for my M 800.....
Old 25th April 2007, 18:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

@shibujp - nice report. very informative do you have the stock plugs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks