Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 18:04   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I'm a noob at mods. So, the veterans, kindly treat this as a quest for gyaan.

What I've got at home is a 2002 M800 (SB-308), ~80k km. My dad takes it to office and back home, and sometimes a highway trip to Coimbatore and Thrissur - monthly 1k km max. The car is completely stock, and in mint condition. The only "mods" would be the 90/100 Headlamps that I forced my dad into buying, because of the hardships faced during our occasional NH-47 drives, and the LPG kit. Oh yes, we have all five tyres filled with N2.

I don't intend to spend a fortune on mods, so aesthetics can wait.

What I want is to improve the performance without affecting the FE - will a conical air-filter help? I have an LPG kit, so will I have to adjust it again? Or should I go for the basic K&N replacement? What's the amount of Vit-M involved?

I searched the K&N site, and it says only the replacement filter is suggested for M800 (Part no E-2297)

Will a FFE burn a hole in my pocket?

If I go for wider profile tyres, say 165/60R12, will it affect the FE?

I'm quite satisfied with the stock brakes. Should I go for an upgrade if I manage to fit the air filter plus FFE?

I hope I'm not going overboard with my questions
K&N and the FFE would put you back by around Rs 8500 - Rs 10500 depending on the availability in your area. I don't think 165/60R12 should affect the FE.

I did not understand the relation b/w upgrading your cars brakes if you go for the AF and FFE.
Old 7th April 2010, 18:23   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
K&N and the FFE would put you back by around Rs 8500 - Rs 10500 depending on the availability in your area. I don't think 165/60R12 should affect the FE.
Thanks for that info, Harish. Much appreciated. Availability is something I need to check. Anyone in my area (Thrissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore) who knows about good places to check out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I did not understand the relation b/w upgrading your cars brakes if you go for the AF and FFE.
I was wondering if the stock brakes can take the extra punch. I don't know what to expect out of these performance mods. When I'm behind the wheel, I reach 100kmph on the empty stretches of the highway. That is when I'm in the mood for it, otherwise FE is my priority.

Anything else that I might be able to upgrade, given a 10-12k budget?

Last edited by silversteed : 7th April 2010 at 18:29.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:32   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that info, Harish. Much appreciated. Availability is something I need to check. Anyone in my area (Thrissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore) who knows about good places to check out?

I was wondering if the stock brakes can take the extra punch. I don't know what to expect out of these performance mods. When I'm behind the wheel, I reach 100kmph on the empty stretches of the highway. That is when I'm in the mood for it, otherwise FE is my priority.

Anything else that I might be able to upgrade, given a 10-12k budget?
I have a FFE and conical K&N on my 800.After the addition i definitely feel the need for better brakes.The stock ones even on the stock 800 are only at best just adequate to halt the car though not in a hurry.Bhpian Pavan Kadam has power brake module on his 800, you could pm him for more info.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:35   #154
BHPian

Absolutely, the brakes of Maruti 800 (any model) literally make us panic during high speed travels. The option of brake booster/vaccuum assistance must be taken into serious consideration.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:54   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
Absolutely, the brakes of Maruti 800 (any model) literally make us panic during high speed travels. The option of brake booster/vaccuum assistance must be taken into serious consideration.

If you're referring to speeds less than 120kmph, I beg to differ. I've driven our 800 (std) and a relative's 800DX (the older one), both stock, and pushed both of them to around 110kmph on a highway. I didn't feel any inadequacy of the stock brakes. But perhaps any faster, and I would've found it tough.

But since I do plan to go for some mods that won't burn a hole in my pocket, I would consider upgrading the brakes. Need to find out the amount of money involved in it though.
Old 9th April 2010, 22:27   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you're referring to speeds less than 120kmph, I beg to differ. I've driven our 800 (std) and a relative's 800DX (the older one), both stock, and pushed both of them to around 110kmph on a highway. I didn't feel any inadequacy of the stock brakes. But perhaps any faster, and I would've found it tough.

But since I do plan to go for some mods that won't burn a hole in my pocket, I would consider upgrading the brakes. Need to find out the amount of money involved in it though.
Hi silversteed,
yes the stock brakes of the 800 are adequate for the Maruti but try comparing them with some other car i am sure you would feel Maruti could have given the 800 a better set of halters.
Old 10th April 2010, 01:17   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi silversteed,
yes the stock brakes of the 800 are adequate for the Maruti but try comparing them with some other car i am sure you would feel Maruti could have given the 800 a better set of halters.
Compared to better cars, yes. It's true.
Old 10th April 2010, 19:02   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Compared to better cars, yes. It's true.
Compared to all cars,silversteed. If you're used to driving a 800 and then jump behind the wheel of any other car,you'll notice how mushy the 800 anchors are.They lack bite.
Old 10th April 2010, 23:16   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Compared to all cars,silversteed. If you're used to driving a 800 and then jump behind the wheel of any other car,you'll notice how mushy the 800 anchors are.They lack bite.
I once had the opportunity to drive a swift belonging a colleague of mine,i noticed the brake pedal was very light and needed very gentle pressure for the brakes to be engaged.Now apply the same kind of gentle pressure on the 800's brake pedals and the only thing that will be enagaged will be the brake lights.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 10th April 2010 at 23:17.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2010, 17:19   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would say get the stock brakes overhauled to perfect condition and then check. I had an 800 for 10 years and have taken it to break neck speeds of 120 to 135's on all highway trips with constant braking, downshifting and what not. Never found the brakes to be inadequate as such.

Yes if you drive a car with a brake booster and then compare it to the 800, yes U ll find it it less but otherwise with a constant 800 driving the brake seemed adequate enough to me.
Old 16th April 2010, 00:02   #161
Senior - BHPian

I'm stuck

I'm back with some doubts. I had a chat with the garage guy in Palakkad. He runs Car Craft (MASS). That guy used to take part in off road races and the like, and seemed knowledgeable to me when it comes to mods.

He suggested that it's better NOT to fit K&N filters et al. The reasons cited are
-> exorbitant costs
-> meager or nil improvement in power/acceleration/FE
-> increased frequency of maintenance.

I'm in a dilemma now. Whether to blindly fall for his words, or to take the risk and go ahead with my plans for the K&N. I read in another thread that a CAI would help, and would cost only around nine grand.

What to do?
Old 16th April 2010, 22:24   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm back with some doubts. I had a chat with the garage guy in Palakkad. He runs Car Craft (MASS). That guy used to take part in off road races and the like, and seemed knowledgeable to me when it comes to mods.

He suggested that it's better NOT to fit K&N filters et al. The reasons cited are
-> exorbitant costs

I'm in a dilemma now. Whether to blindly fall for his words, or to take the risk and go ahead with my plans for the K&N. I read in another thread that a CAI would help, and would cost only around nine grand.

What to do?
It's simple, go for the K&N or whatever aftermarket filter only if you have a FFE complete with headers.On a 800 , i don't know about ther people,i can defintely feel the difference in the torque , especially with a conical.
By CAI, i a assume you are talking abt the conical air filter with custom piping.I doubt a CAI is available for the 800.Also with the conical you will have the headache of looking after it in the monsoon and while giving the car for servicing.So take these as considerations before fitting one.To be of safe side a stock replacement filter with a million mile warranty from K&N could offer better peace of mind.
Old 17th April 2010, 01:41   #163

Quote:

-> exorbitant costs

What to do?
If you look at it scientifically, he is right.
Old 18th April 2010, 22:38   #164
BHPian

cost for entire brake booster setup including installation is around Rs 5000.

MSD ignition coils/power/rally coil setup is very simple and effective. It made in Canada, so it ought to be troublefree.

If your's is a carburettor engine maruti 800, you can replace the cb points with eureka multipoint magnetic proximity sensor for converting it into electroonic ignition. This will change the way the combustion process works. It will smoothen the engine, lesser emmission, better torque even on ac and quicker starts. The kit costs Rs 3.8k including 3 ngk platinum sparks.

If you want to upgrade an mpfi model, you can install Gold Sensor connected i series to the ECU. Costs Rs 5k.

You can install philips extreme power 100/130 watts with relay costs Rs 1k all inclusive. This enhancement has good reliability.

You can also get a 130 cc ac for better cooling, costs Rs 4.8k.

All the above figures are for Mumbai, but you can surely fetch cheaper prices in your city after little hunting.

I follow drive by wire technology, electronic/electrical mods are more intelligent to manage rather than mechanical mods.
Old 30th April 2010, 23:35   #165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
cost for entire brake booster setup including installation is around Rs 5000.

Thats toooo much for the brakes.

I did mine way back in 2000. The kit costed me around 2.8 k including installation.

After that, 6 of my friends (Few here on T-BHP ) got it done from my mechanic few months ago, each installation costed the same price.

OK Guys getting back to topic, after much thinking, i finally decided to convert my rear drum brakes to disc brakes, we are also using a delayed suction unit at the rear to delay the braking timing to avoid mishap while braking.

Basic lathe work is done, presently search is on for the right kind of disc and caliper kit to match the rear.

Keep looking at this space for further updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks