Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 15:45   #1
BHPian

Satnav Launches GPS Navigation Software

SatNav Technologies, an IT Products company, is now the first Indian company to provide start of the art GPS turn-by-turn navigation software for all Windows Mobile devices across the country. The navigation software can be installed on Pocket PCs, Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) like I-mate, O2, Dopod and other Windows based mobile devices.

Customers who wish to arm their windows mobile devices with navigation capabilities can install the Satguide software on to their current mobile devices and instantaneously start using the device for finding correct routes, ATMs, Hospitals, Medicine shops, cinema halls and other locations on their screen across the country. Those who do not have a GPS enabled phone have the option of purchasing the GPS receiver separately.

The software is priced at Rs. 5,000 for all windows devices across the country. Satguide, is developed by using a Software Development Kit (SDK) provided by Destinator Technologies, one of the leaders in navigation software.

Mr. Amit Prasad, Founder & MD of SatNav Technologies said, "The software upgrade of mobile device will be a cost effective transformation of a phone into a high end navigation device. Potential for navigation devices is increasing significantly every year, with over 300,000 Windows based handheld devices in the country we are confident that we will be able to tap a significant 25% of the market"

Also, for the first time ever, an All India database is being launched which will enable users in 33,000 towns and cities all over the country to use the SatGuide software and navigate from one city/town to another. This will practically allow anyone to drive from Kanyakumari to Jaipur without having to ask for directions.

SatNav has also finalized a comprehensive point of interest content upgrades policy. Each city’s information will be updated once in a year now. The first upgrades will be available by the end of this year and will be offered at a discount to existing users.

The number of cities will be ramped up from 6 currently to 72 by the end of this year, making SatNav the most comprehensive information source in the country. This will be further expanded to additional cities based on the market demand.

A contest offering 100 free licenses to users is also launched, to commemorate the occasion of the launch of Windows Mobile software in India.

Tech2.com India > Satnav Launches GPS Navigation Software > News on Windows
Old 11th April 2007, 12:32   #2
BHPian

Hey! That is good news. I got a bluetooth GPS module, and if I get a chance to try out the software as trial and like it, I may get it!

EDIT: uh oh.. Did I read 'Windows Mobile'? Nuts! I thought it was for Windows platform or S60.

Cya
-Absar

Last edited by Absar : 11th April 2007 at 12:36.
Old 11th April 2007, 12:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you have GPRS on ur phone, you can get Google Maps for Mobile for free .

Only drawback is that you need GPRS to download the maps in real time and there is no driving directions available for India yet.

Absar, Where did u get the GPS module? I am looking for a cheap one. I find people quoting not less than 5k for it !!
Old 11th April 2007, 13:35   #4
BHPian

Hi Spadival. Yes I know about Google Maps, but its too slow over GPRS. I'm waiting for better applications. I bought this in Hong Kong for about 900 HKD. That's the same, about ~5k INR.Its a Nokia LD-3W by the way. Its a lovely gagdet.

-Absar
Old 11th April 2007, 13:46   #5
BHPian

Hi guys...I am already using GPS in my car. I have a Pocket PC (windows mobile 5.0 ) which is GPS enabled. What I did was I bought a bluetooth enabled GPS chip from this company called chipsilicon in Pune (www.chipsilicon.com). They have other GPS products as well. I bought a software called MapKing Pro with Delhi Maps .I also bought a PDA mount for the car off ebay. came really cheap (just 400 bucks ). All I need to do is connect the GPS chip to my pocket PC through bluetooth COM port and my GPS navigation starts. It also tells me the real time speed of the car which is pretty accurate.
A good thing about such a chip is that you can use this with you LapTop as well and it can be connected to Google Earth (only pro version) and if you have a high speed data card(for internet connectivity) then you can use your Laptop for navigation using google earth.
Old 11th April 2007, 13:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

rishi you do not need Pro version google earth, you can use GPS trackmaker and use Google earth view
Old 11th April 2007, 14:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
rishi you do not need Pro version google earth, you can use GPS trackmaker and use Google earth view
First of all thank you tanveer for the address of raunak sector 16 that day. I cud have never reached without getting challaned. Got two of my colleagues also with me that day

I tried using trackmaker but couldnt succeed (i dont use windows that much ). Please let me know how to go about doing it. I use google earth on ubuntu and it runs on wine. I am not even sure whether COM port support is there in wine as yet. But if it can be done then I can boot in windows just to use google earth
Old 11th April 2007, 14:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

With wine you will run into trouble's have tried many apps unsuccessfully, so use windows for such apps.
With windows its easy. GPS trackamaker website has details about google earth view.
Old 11th April 2007, 16:41   #9
BHPian

What level of details do these sat navs provide in Indian cities? Do they include only main roads or minor roads as well?
Old 11th April 2007, 18:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
What level of details do these sat navs provide in Indian cities? Do they include only main roads or minor roads as well?
I use the satnav delhi map in my carpc and its pretty decent. The roads are updated and they are going to do another update this summer.

cheers.
Old 11th April 2007, 18:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
I use the satnav delhi map in my carpc and its pretty decent. The roads are updated and they are going to do another update this summer.

cheers.
Ankur Sir , I am dying to see your ride and get a demo of your car PC. I think if the meet on 14th happens (so many ifs and buts) I will get to see your ride
Old 12th April 2007, 13:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Ankur Sir , I am dying to see your ride and get a demo of your car PC. I think if the meet on 14th happens (so many ifs and buts) I will get to see your ride
The sir is only for my students, you can stick to Ankur . You are welcome to drop in anytime and look at the car, and i think i will make it to the meet anyway.

cheers.
Old 19th April 2007, 18:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
.I also bought a PDA mount for the car off ebay. came really cheap (just 400 bucks ).
Where did you get the PDA mount from? I guess not from ebay.in.. there is only one there for Rs 1000 !!
Old 19th April 2007, 18:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Where did you get the PDA mount from? I guess not from ebay.in.. there is only one there for Rs 1000 !!
I got the PDA mount from ebay.com.au (australia). It was selling at $3 (Australian) and $8 I paid for the shipping.
Old 19th April 2007, 18:48   #15
BHPian

For the guys already using GPS check out this symbian software at Tempes GT . You might find it interesting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks