Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2008, 15:43   #241
BHPian

Is there any site one can read up on cams and adjustable cams etc. From the comments of all the experts, it seems the cams are the most potent in improving performance of the Fiat 1.6 engine.
Old 5th March 2008, 21:00   #242
BHPian

cams in 1.6 are the bottleneck of power output!

the 1.6 engine is running with zero degrees of valve overlapping..!!!
inlet opens at tdc<00deg>and exhaust closes at tdc<00deg> still the engine produces 100 to 106 bhp as per the fuel used..
where most of the cars in the world use at least 50 deg of overlapping..
higher the power output requirement <unless u are using supercharging/turbocharging> more the over lapping is needed.
the 1.6 16 valve engine is a potential bomb... just turbo charge it ... < am in the processs-- doing reverse engg on the components to get the max break mean pressure ,the weakest component can handle before failing! and calculating the air consumption graph of the engine at full throttle. then will look for the turbos who match the requirements - without over boosting it . >
properly turboed car with an eye for detailing and with plenty of factor of safety can comfortably achive @ 140 to 150 bhp without sacrifising the engine life drastically .
some info about the pedigree of the engine family..
Fiat Twin Cam engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 5th March 2008, 22:23   #243

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

without turboing the car,what else can be done to the fiat twin cam engine...can the overlap be increased from 0deg.
as mentioned in the link you have posted:
Easy to mantain, buletproff, all versions of this engine were based on the same core. This meant that boring the cylinders of the block, it could be easily upgraded to a larger size. Highly versatile, a version of 1.6 liters producing 110 HP, can be tuned to output over 200.

Last edited by hellspawn : 5th March 2008 at 22:27.
Old 6th March 2008, 10:17   #244
BHPian

Turbo GTX! Samir, that would be something! But as far as I remember, your GTX had stock intake (air filter) while everyone seems to recommend a K&N. Going the whole hog, it seems. Do keep posting updates on your research.

By the way, can you explain some more on this overlapping of cams? How it is used to increase or decrease power, and what effect different degrees of overlap may have on bhp and torque?
Old 6th March 2008, 22:17   #245
BHPian

hello

hi, thanks for noticing that my car is using the stock air intake with stock element.as am sure, it filters 5 micron 100%, 3microns-70% and 1 micron 15% -- am not sure of tthe aftermarket.
i have one equus made vacuum guage of proffessional grade.
if u check the pressure drop at the throttle body junction u will come to know the RESTRICTION up stream.
it doesnot show any difference in the reading till 7250 rpm<max possible>so the std filter element is not restrictive the way its percived!!!
the 1.6 engine consumes max 98 cfm of air... so u dont need to be sold for the idea of 480 cfm.
at full throttle , full rpm. there is neglible vacuum at the filter end--- so 840 cfm at 10 inch of vacuum -is not so relavent.
the outer dimensions of the stock/stock rep filters are same<l,w,h,>so to get more air to pass ,one needs to have more surface area and/or more porosity....
stock filter has 87-98 folds... stock rep-k&n has 20.
so it has nearly 4 times LESS surface area! so assuming that it has the same filTering ability then IT WILL PASS 4 TIMES LESS AIR.
AND IF IT PASSES JUST THE SAME AMOUNT OF AIR , THEN ITS HAVING AT LEAST 4 TIMES MORE POROSITY<4 TIMES BIGGER HOLES!>
AND IF U SAY ITS PASSING MORE AIR THAN STOCK... GOD KNOWS..
SURFACE AREA OF CONICAL FILTER IS ALSO NOT GREATER THAN THE STOCK FILTER
+ heated air intake because of metal intake pipe ,sucking from the engine bay itself ....of no use.for power.
using so called ram air....< apollo. mir. skylab...>
AT 83 M/S SPEED<300 KMPH> THE RAM PRESSURE IS(1/2*1.226*833 SQUARE=42223 Pa that is 0.61 psi.
at 130 kmph,the prssure is.799 Pa =0.11psi-
its niglible .
road vehicle aerodynamic design. written bydr.r .h.bernard,PhD.,CEngg.,FRAeS, PRINCIPAL LECTURER,IN MECHANICAL,AEROSPACVE, AND AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING. UNIVERSITY OF HERTFORDSHIRE
so am not tryng it!
thanks!111
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Turbo GTX! Samir, that would be something! But as far as I remember, your GTX had stock intake (air filter) while everyone seems to recommend a K&N. Going the whole hog, it seems. Do keep posting updates on your research.

By the way, can you explain some more on this overlapping of cams? How it is used to increase or decrease power, and what effect different degrees of overlap may have on bhp and torque?
Old 7th March 2008, 10:22   #246
BHPian

WO! That is a lot of background information. OK, though I did not exactly understand everything you have said there, one thing I have understood. I have been wise in not going in for the K&N.

But now you are going turbo! So, YOU will have to get a K&N.

And what about the cams? The degrees of overlap and its impact on the power and torque. Can anyone please explain that a little?
Old 7th March 2008, 19:12   #247
BHPian

Hi Turbosam,
This has been a very very interesting read. Can you please clarify about the CAMS, degrees of overlap and its impact on power and torque?

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 12th March 2008, 06:02   #248
Team-BHP Support

For those interested, I got a Marea Weekend engine manual which gives valve timing for the 1596cc engine:
Attached Thumbnails
Palio mods/post all queries and pics here-valve_timing.jpg  

Old 18th March 2008, 21:38   #249
Senior - BHPian

hottest looking palio (palio 1.8R)

The palio 1.8R

Palio mods/post all queries and pics here-800pxfiat_palio_r.jpg

i like the car above, awesome looking !

full credit to wiki article

Fiat Palio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

some info which i never knew about the palio; are all the information in the article true?

PS: nothing is said about the 1.3MJD
Old 18th March 2008, 21:57   #250
Senior - BHPian

thats one good looking car, Man fiat should launch it here in India with that engine but 4 valve head..it'll be be one mean machine...
Old 18th March 2008, 22:13   #251
Senior - BHPian

It sure looks good.

The alloys... I have seen it on some other brand.
Old 18th March 2008, 22:21   #252

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

wow!beautiful colour and i love the headlights as well.
Old 18th March 2008, 22:35   #253
Senior - BHPian

wow thats one hot looking palio,i liked the headlights smoked,the colour is looking good for the show,but it wont look good on our roads
Old 18th March 2008, 22:36   #254
BHPian

NOW THATS HAWT!!! Its one helluva car..that too yellow in color with smoked headlights...! goody good. but frankly i didnt like that front bumper and alloys..
Old 21st March 2008, 12:07   #255
Senior - BHPian

Didn't the adventure have those alloys? Or something very similar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks