Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 22:19   #106
BHPian

sorry a typing mistake!

its 272+bhp not 720+
and for everyones interest... ill be getting the pics and info in a very short time. till then
Old 25th April 2007, 02:08   #107
BHPian

kindly come back to the topic from debating over 272 and 720. Thank god that it is not 420 !
Old 25th April 2007, 02:55   #108
BHPian

guys stop teasing him,he just said he will prove it,be patient and let him
Old 25th April 2007, 04:20   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

I read about your post about the claimed "fastest Palio in India" which I claim to be plain crap unless of course I drive it, make my own frame of comparison reference and it makes me a moron to say this. But I have my doubts on the modifications done to Harrie's car and there has to be a reason for him to sell it? Can I blindly call it a pathetic mod job? Apparently his suspension did not hold up I assume but assumptions dont lead me anywhere. I haven't heard more than a port polish and free flow job done on the car and Harrie claimed he felt it to be more than 130 bhp on a PM when he got it done.

Lets get back to chill mode and go a bit easy on this.
Agreed, my tone was a little aggressive. I apologise, with some reservations. I still fail to see how Fiat can print one thing in the service manual and one thing in the owner's manual. I fail to see how a 10.5:1 CR engine runs on 87 octane pump gas.

I have been asking for facts and proof to back up the 272+bhp Grande Punto with the 1.6 engine for a week now. I have still not seen anything.

Let me put it to you this way, if I were to claim I work for Maruti, and the Baleno has a 11:1 CR and the same 1.6 engine puts out 280 hp in the SX4 abroad, you would ask for proof or dismiss me immediately. The closest case that springs to mind is mktgheadferrari.

I'm sorry if this hurts anyone, but when a person claims to be a representative of Fiat, and then claims such figures, it's Fiat's credibility that takes a severe beating.

About Harrie's car, I have yet to see a faster car on the dragstrip, which is why I call it India's fastest Palio. I timed it at about 16.8-17.0 with a stopwatch, and a very wallowy. Added to which, the gearbox does it no favours. The suspension was on its way out for over a year, there is the original BLR drive to Krishnagiri, where the car was sliding around corners anyway. But I have always felt the Palio has too soft a setup. And he's not selling it as of now. The reason for selling a car is rarely that something is wrong with it. It could be a desire to upgrade, to quit the power/racing game, a financial situation, anything. I've seen it so many times, and not once has it been because the car is messed.

And 130 hp is a little high, it would be around the 120 mark, IMHO. But it is still faaaaaaaaaaaast!

Last edited by v1p3r : 25th April 2007 at 04:28.
Old 25th April 2007, 04:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
the process of copying it from the manual and posting on the forum, i am helpless
still ill try!!!
Scan the page and post it as a picture. Use imageshack. Check this thread for details: How to post photographs.
Old 25th April 2007, 09:54   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently his suspension did not hold up I assume but assumptions dont lead me anywhere. I haven't heard more than a port polish and free flow job done on the car and Harrie claimed he felt it to be more than 130 bhp on a PM when he got it done.
From my original post

Quote:
Well its supposed to be putting out around 10-15 bhp more now. But i'll not get into that. The car is not about the power, but rather the torque. Its a totally different breed from the OHCs.
Quote:
The car might be as fast as the baleno or the OHC now. I dont know. I have not tried it. I probably will never try it too. The car might not be good on the track too. Maybe the suspension job will fix it. But i dont know as of now. So was it worth spending my hard earned dough on it?

Well heck it was.
I said it felt like I was driving something with 130 bhp.

Quote:
And he's not selling it as of now. The reason for selling a car is rarely that something is wrong with it. It could be a desire to upgrade, to quit the power/racing game, a financial situation, anything. I've seen it so many times, and not once has it been because the car is messed.
I was planning to sell it as I wanted a big diesel family sedan on the likes of the elantra. Well not anymore. The car will go in for more work, I'll put up the details very shortly.
Old 25th April 2007, 11:39   #112
BHPian

Hari where you did those mods from. Have you felt any complaints after mods.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:48   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am not sure whether the 1.9D came with the Sport kit (Which more of cosmetic stuff than performance). There was no 1.9D Multijet sold in India but it is similar to the 1.9JTD in base design.
Yeah it came with a sport badge ,but I dont think it was nothing more of cosmetic mods,like wood paneling in dash,defogger,power window,power steering and it includes ABS.I thought it was a multijet engine.Thanks for correcting me.

Quote:
The power and other figures are not comparable to the 1.6 since they stand in leagues of their own. The 1.9D is tad slower in acceleration being a diesel. I love the torque the engine offers. .
I am not happy with this,may be because never tried riding a 1.6.But a change from Ambassador to 1.9D made me feel like I am the king..LOL.

Quote:
I assume you own a 1.9D. Just for kicks to test torque do this test:

1) Find the steepest slope in your region which is safe and secluded as far as possible.
2) Reach the base of the slope and facing the slope, slot your car in first gear, turn on the AC.
3) Load 4 people in the car, release the clutch slowly but do not accelerate.
4) Ensure that you have good quality Diesel in your car.
Havent tried in a steep slope ,but I have felt the torque in small climbs.

Quote:
Of course this is a very difference comparison and the Accent as well as the Skoda will eat the Palio raw in acceleration as well as top speed. This test is just to make you feel that you have a fast car .
How can this test make me feel I have a faster car as you itself said it will be running behind in acceleration as well as top speed...
Old 26th April 2007, 16:03   #114
BHPian

to make the car faster <higher top speed >one has to dissable the rev limiter /install taller final drive or 5th gear,reduce the grag considerably ,reduce the weight , use taller tyres than stock

otherwise even if the car is having 30 bhp more and rest of the things are stock it will be quicker not faster as all the 1.6 palios can hit the rev limiter in all of their gears so therotically all the 1.6 palios will have top speeds close to each other.and only the time required may very as per the mods
Old 28th April 2007, 12:10   #115
BHPian

hi

ok lets start with basics
in pertol engines there is something called as throttling . which limits the air<or airfuel mixture in case of carb/ cfi cars>
so the volumatric efficiency of the pertol engine at part throttle is very low<volumetric efficiency is the ability of an engine to fill its cylinders with mixture expressed as percentage of the actual volume of the cylinder>therefore a motor with cylinders of 100 cc will be operating at 50% efficiency if it manages t get only 50 cc of mixture in its cylinders.obviusly such a motor while operating on therotical cmpression ratio of 14:1 will in fact have a true compresson ratio of 7:1...
as the avrage RACING motor oprates at apprx 93%volumetric eff<that too at wide open throttle>the therotical 15:1 will actuallually be a true compressio ratio f 14:1 !!
a road engine spends much of its life crusing at 2000-3000 rpm with the throttle just cracked open,so the cylinders are only being partially filled.
ideally to obtain max cruise power AND fuel economy the actual cr should be @8.5:1 to 11:1 <depending upon 2/4 valves, desigh superiority
>
but there is a catch
all of those engines do not spend their entire time crusing.
hence when the accelerator is floored and much more air gets in the cylinders, increasing the VE,the compression will be too high and the engine will detonate whe the V/E will be @87%.

then when detonation is detected by the knock sensor , the e.c.u retards the ignition timing advance!
IF THE KNOCKING DOESNOT STOP THE COMPUTER BACKS OFF THE SPARK LEAD<advance>UNTILL IT DOES.
another aspect of how far we can go with the c;r is vehicle weight and gearing!!
a light weigt car<for the bhp and torque of the engine of cource!>in low gear can accelerate through the detnation zone and avoid trouble.
however lug the engine in that danger zone often enough and for sufficient time and ull distroy the engine<if there is no knock sensor!>
conservative rule of thumb is to start with the figure0.115 multiplied by the motor octane number f the fuel
so 87 octane multiplied by 0.115 is 10.005!!!
thats the actual c;r
not the indicated or therotical one
that too without knock sensors to help with

now think @ it !!!

lesser the manufacturing tolerances +better design allows u to go for higher compression ratio!!
simple!!
Old 28th April 2007, 14:26   #116
BANNED

interesting debate happening here ... wonder how I missed to follow it !!! I have a palio which is spewing out black smoke, drinking engine oil within 1400 kms , and Psycho said to sell it -- dealers only offering 1.10 for it , very tuff to let her go at that price , SO GUYS --- HELP ME !!

Can I re build the engine and keep the car for a few more years , its still as rock solid as new -- or shud I just let it go for whatever I get ??? Also if I was to redo the engine , how much wud it cost me --- ???

Sort out my confusion guys ......

Cheers
Old 28th April 2007, 14:27   #117
Senior - BHPian

Rebuild and 'Psych' it up too. Will serve you for years.
Old 28th April 2007, 14:31   #118
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Rebuild and 'Psych' it up too. Will serve you for years.
Rebuild is fine .. but psych it up -- our man is the one who told me to SIMPLY SELL IT !!!
Old 29th April 2007, 06:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

Old people often talk vaguely and wander about. Don't listen to them.
Old 29th April 2007, 09:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Rebuild is fine .. but psych it up -- our man is the one who told me to SIMPLY SELL IT !!!
He talks like this all the time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Old people often talk vaguely and wander about. Don't listen to them.
exactly.. why else will he buy a second esteem and T-charge it???

Godfather

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks