Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2021, 12:26   #1
BHPian

My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm

My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210913_185617.jpg

I was happy with the polos performance and wanted to keep it for 5 more years but as kids have grown up and even parents will tag along, space was a BIG issue.
More about my previous car Polo GT 1.6 TDI
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...5-seconds.html (VW Polo GT TDI @ 190 BHP : 0 - 100 in 7.5 seconds)

My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_4182.jpg

Though not a fan of SUVs or any BIG cars, Started searching for a 6 seater.

Must Haves

Diesel.
Automatic.
Minimum 6-seater, Should be able to carry 4(adults)+2(kids) comfortably.
Reliable with less maintenance.
Easily tunable according to my needs.
60” side profile tyre.
Abs + Esp + Tcs etc..
Ride quality should be good.(At least mod options should be there)
Good resale value and ground clearance.
5 star NCAP safety rating.

Cars considered

Hyundai Santa Fe’s
Loved the R-series engine with 194bhp and 436nm of torque with AWD. It's faster than all 7 seater diesel suvs under 40lkhs.
Cancelled due to below reasons
No resale value.
Sourcing the parts(other than service parts) will take its own sweet time.
Selling this car will be PITA.

Innova Crysta 2.8 was finalised on march 2021 for its peppy 170bhp, 370nm diesel engine.
Reliable.
In stock form it does 0-100 in around 10sec.
Good resale value.
5 star ncap rating.
https://www.cartrade.com/news/toyota...st-137354.html

Cons
Soft suspension.
Bad brakes.

This was our first automatic vehicle and driving it in the city/highway was easy for me and dad. Had to go for preowned as 2.8 ltr engine was discontinued in Crysta and exists in Fortuner only. I am glad that this is faster than my polo 1.6 tdi in stock form and made sure that I did not miss out on the performance front. It takes some time to get accustomed to autos as initially my left hand used to search for gear change(effects of polo manual), Later realizing its auto had to get back to steering wheel. If you want to have fun in crysta it has to be in power mode and no need to worry much about potholes or humps unlike my polo.

My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210310_190716.jpg
My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210912_122638-1.jpg

Engine
In stock form it has got 170bhp and 370nm of torque. There is nothing much to write about the engine when in Eco/Normal mode as we can feel the turbo lag and its not revv-happy. It's interesting when in Power mode as we can feel the instant power with no turbo lag and its fun to drive. NVH levels will be bit more post 3000rpm. Toyota has released a 2.8 engine with 201 bhp and 500nm of torque in the Fortuner, looks like this engine has a lot of mod potential.

Suspension
Till 100-120kmph if driven in relaxed mode it's fine, Anything above 120kmph or in spirited mode we can feel the undulations, softness and its not confidence inspiring in corners. Body roll can be felt while cornering hard.

Brakes
Thumbs down to Toyota for not doing proper quality control checks in the brake department. Giving users powerful engine and ignoring brakes is not done. It's not confidence inspiring when we brake hard at triple digit speeds, We can feel brake judder and Steering vibrations as well.

Steering
Its got hydraulic steering and I did not feel heavy at low speeds like few mentioned in their reviews. It perfectly weighs according to the speed. Turning radius is around 5.4m and its easy to maneuver in city aswell as highways.

Last edited by brraj : 4th October 2021 at 21:41.
brraj is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 12:48   #2
BHPian

re: My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm

My turbo polo was tuned and maintained by TOT. When enquired about remap and hardware mods(decat/intercooler/turbo) for my innova crysta they told me they only do hardware mods for German cars and for other makes they just do remaps. Thus the search for a new tuner began.

I had heard good reviews about Rajiv from Wolf moto and wanted to give it a try. When I enquired Joe about my plans they were ready to do all the mods.

My requirements to the tuner
Max Power in Low, Mid and Top end.
Reliable.
Less smoke.
EGR delete.
Safe map of around 210bhp / 470nm.

Jayanth said it was their first crysta 2.8 remap done by wolf team. Initially they read the ECU file from OBD port and after the changes done by Rajiv they updated it using OBD port. I was surprised to see they did not remove ECU to enable writing via OBD port. This kind of feature is available usually in cars like BMW and not even in my previous polo.
Crysta was already fast in stock form doing 9.9 sec to 100kmph but who doesn't need more power if we get it in a safe way. I was not behind numbers here considering its power to weight ratio but a good in gear acceleration and a fun to drive 7 seater.

Finally...
My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210906_182717.jpg

My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210904_163005.jpg

Decat
My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210904_161800.jpg

Air filter changed to BMC
My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210312_150201.jpg

First remap impressions
- It has got lot more punch and overtaking is a breeze.
- In Eco mode and Normal mode it's a bit reserved but in Power mode the pulls are impressive especially when you are in WOT.
- Overall improved performance across the range.
- When you are in WOT initially we can see some black smoke but later on vanishes with the speed.
- Driving in City/Highway, Its fun especially in power mode.
- Engine does not feel strained, Pulls cleanly from 1500 rpm - 4000 rpm.
- Post remap, Under hard acceleration mileage can drop down to 9kmpl or with light foot can give up to 12.4kmpl. This was from ODO reading and not from tank to tank calculations.
- Have already surprised few who thought crysta is a slow car.

DYNO Time
My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210904_180248.jpg

My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210904_181328.jpg

My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm-img_20210904_180905.jpg

Name:  dyno.png
Views: 3600
Size:  83.6 KB

216 bhp @ 514 nm of torque

0-100 took around 8.3 sec.

I guess a 200bhp car with good ground clearance and (60") side profile tire is more than enough for our Indian road conditions.

Last edited by brraj : 4th October 2021 at 21:03.
brraj is offline   (130) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 06:49   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Modifications section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 07:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Remapped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L | 216 BHP & 514 Nm

Interesting mod to an Innova and thanks for sharing in such detail.

I’m just curious, given its UV design and with the added power, do you feel the need of upsizing the wheels just a little bit for stability - like just going a size or so wider or something like that, if you plan to push this car pretty hard with the remap and everything? Or are you happy with the stock wheels with this kind of power on tap?
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 08:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

That 2.8 diesel is a stonker of an engine. Congratulations on the bold decision of going for a pre loved 2.8. Now that you are sitting on 200 horses, any plans to fix the brakes?

I’ve always felt that the Crysta’s cabin is not as quiet as Hexa’s. Lacks insulation. May I suggest damping for the entire floor of the car. Will make your highway drives so much more relaxing, especially for the rear passengers.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 08:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I’m just curious, given its UV design and with the added power, do you feel the need of upsizing the wheels just a little bit for stability - like just going a size or so wider or something like that, if you plan to push this car pretty hard with the remap and everything? Or are you happy with the stock wheels with this kind of power on tap?
Not just wheels and tyres, even the brakes and suspension need an upgrade. 216 BHP & 514 Nm are serious figures for a ladder on frame vehicle. I wouldn't hazard driving around with this power with rest of the key elements in stock form, especially when Crysta isn't a great handler. A matured driver should be behind the wheels of this car in it's present form.

Congratulations @ brraj on the new ride and its a brave move to remap the car. I'm sure you would have factored in all this while remapping the car and will have plans to address it. To put things in perspective, Octavia VRS has 245 bhp and 370 Nm torque and we all know how stiffly sprung the suspension is(for a reason) even when it's a low slung sedan.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 5th October 2021 at 08:45.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 09:11   #7
BHPian

Congrats on the added power. As you said overtaking on the highways and superior acceleration will mean higher average speeds and shorter time to your destination.

I suggest you to stiffen up your suspension as soon as you can. A high bhp car with a soft suspension is a recipe for disaster. Does the Innova have a rear disc setup? If not, get rear disc brakes fitted.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2021 at 11:01. Reason: spacing for improved readability
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 09:25   #8
BHPian

Wonderful read brraj. In fact, a pleasant surprise to see the Innova going under the knife. Liked how you succinctly mentioned the good and not so good of the stock car. The Innova actually makes a very compelling proposition for a large family and with these additions one does not have to compromise on the driving part as well. Congratulations on the car as well as the mods!

Any thoughts on how to get better braking?
Old 5th October 2021, 09:34   #9

I think you've hit a very sweet spot there. Congrats!

Just a one question -

1. How does the A.S.S. treat remapped cars?

I would assume that they'd look upon you as if you've committed heresy/blasphemy and blame any and all issues that may arise in the future on the remap (touchwood, I hope nothing arises in your case).

Barring the above, I can now honestly think of the Innova as a potent driver's car which is both reliable and fast.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2021 at 11:01. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Attorviator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 09:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats!!

The 2.8 Toyota diesel has hell lot of potential . Your van is really quick looking at that dragy timed video. It is easily 3 seconds faster than stock. Stock car is timed at 11.4 seconds by Autocar using V-Box.

Quote:
I was surprised to see they did not remove ECU to enable writing via OBD port. This kind of feature is available usually in cars like BMW and not even in my previous polo.
Gone are the days when ECU had to be opened for remaps. Even the Polo can be remapped by OBD now.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th October 2021 at 09:46.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:14   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy and wishing you a happy and safe motoring. The NCAP rating of Innova is not for the Indian one. The made in India one was never tested .. So please take it with a pinch of salt. (If it was either CKD or CBU, we could have taken this number to an extend, but in this case, we can't)
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:21   #12
BHPian

Hey brraj, those are insane figures for a 6-7 individual people mover. I can relate to you as even I owned a 2013 Polo GT TDi. I still regret selling it.
BHPjunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:32   #13
BHPian

That's a lot of power to an already powerful vehicle. I brought a preowned 2.8 just for this engine. Although the eco mode is tuned for sedate driving I don't feel any turbo lag as such. Peak torque kicks in at 1200 which is probably one of the lowest for any car sold currently.

However, the handling is a big let down and it screams that it's a van on hard acceleration and the brakes are just adequate.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2021 at 11:02. Reason: spacing for improved readability
sunilg33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 10:51   #14
BHPian

I was driving down the Lonavala Ghat in a regular Innova Crysta once, full load, a tad heavy on the foot, but not too much - considering one can only push so much on ghat roads with a full load. By the time we came down the ghat, the brakes felt spongy and weren't effective - again for obvious reasons.

I am sure you have experienced this already and have a plan to upgrade the brakes and tires. Will wait to see that well deserved upgrade.
KungFuPanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 11:25   #15
BHPian

First of all thank you all for the wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
That 2.8 diesel is a stonker of an engine. Congratulations on the bold decision of going for a pre loved 2.8. Now that you are sitting on 200 horses, any plans to fix the brakes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Not just wheels and tyres, even the brakes and suspension need an upgrade. 216 BHP & 514 Nm are serious figures for a ladder on frame vehicle.

I'm sure you would have factored in all this while remapping the car and will have plans to address it. To put things in perspective, Octavia VRS has 245 bhp and 370 Nm torque and we all know how stiffly sprung the suspension is(for a reason) even when it's a low slung sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
I suggest you to stiffen up your suspension as soon as you can. A high bhp car with a soft suspension is a recipe for disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Any thoughts on how to get better braking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPanda View Post
By the time we came down the ghat, the brakes felt spongy and weren't effective - again for obvious reasons.

I am sure you have experienced this already and have a plan to upgrade the brakes and tires. Will wait to see that well deserved upgrade.
Guys, driving fast in a remapped crysta with Stock tyre/Suspension/Brakes is suicide. I have changed all, will take some time to update the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I’ve always felt that the Crysta’s cabin is not as quiet as Hexa’s. Lacks insulation. May I suggest damping for the entire floor of the car. Will make your highway drives so much more relaxing, especially for the rear passengers.
Yes, its on the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Does the Innova have a rear disc setup? If not, get rear disc brakes fitted.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorviator View Post
How does the A.S.S. treat remapped cars?
Usually they wont know in the first place and i have been doing this from past 16years for all of my previous cars which are of different brands. If they find out when claiming a warranty then its your bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Stock car is timed at 11.4 seconds by Autocar using V-Box.
My bad, I quickly referred this video for stock timings which is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
The NCAP rating of Innova is not for the Indian one. The made in India one was never tested ..
Now, This is news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Although the eco mode is tuned for sedate driving I don't feel any turbo lag as such. Peak torque kicks in at 1200 which is probably one of the lowest for any car sold currently.
Yes but it takes some time to pick up the pace and I was comparing it to the power mode
brraj is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks