Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2023, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review

After a gap of several months, me and my wife finally managed to find time for a small vacation. We decided to visit Gokarna for some quiet and relaxing beach time. Of course we were going to drive there from our home in Bangalore as both of us love long drives.

We decided not to halt in between and do the complete drive same day. I have driven down from Goa before but had taken a night halt at Davanagere. This was going to be the longest single day drive for me. Our car was in top shape, just serviced 3 weeks prior. But since our 9 months old daughter was also going to be on this trip with us I did not want to take any chances and wanted to be thoroughly prepared. Everything was ready but my ordeal with tyre problems was worrying me a little. (Post about it here (Warranty for OEM Tyres vs tyres purchased from the aftermarket))

A TPMS was always in my wishlist and I decided to get it installed before the trip. A TPMS can give early warning in case of puncture allowing you sufficient time to find a remedy. Some TPMS can also give a warning for high pressure resulting from high temperature. So a week prior to the trip I got it installed in my car. Following are some details about its installation and my experience during the trip and since.

There are several aftermarket TPMS available online and offline. Some well rated ones on Amazon can be bought for as less as Rs 2500 for a set of four. However I decided to go with Treel brand ones, which cost around Rs 5k for a set of four. Treel is a sub brand of JK Tyres and I decided to put my trust on them over the cheaper Chinese brands (I am not sure if Treel is manufactured in India).

There are two types of TPMS available - internally fitted and externally fitted. The external ones are totally DIY. You just have to screw it on the valve. The downside is that they have to be removed every time you need to inflate the tyre (though there are some splitters available which splits the valve in two - one for the TPMS and one for inflating). Also, the external ones can be easily stolen.

The internal ones are fitted inside the tyre. It replaces the valve with its own and sits snugly stuck to the inside of the rim. The only problem with these is that they have non-replaceable battery. Treel offers 5 years warranty on them including on the batteries. You need to remove the tyres to install the internal TPMS, so you will have to visit a tyre shop.

I inquired a JK tyre reseller nearby and they had the internal TPMS available at the same price as on Amazon. Also, they offered installation, wheel alignment and balancing for free. It was a no-brainer to get it offline from them.

The installation was simple and quick. Took hardly 30mins for installation followed by few minutes for balancing and alignment.
Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-pxl_20230404_065429787.mp.jpg

Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-pxl_20230404_065329572.mp.jpg

Following the installation you need to install Treel's app on your phone and scan the QR code for each TPMS sensor labelling them as Front-Left, Front-Right, Rear-Left and Rear-Right, depending on where each sensor is installed. When you rotate the wheels you can change the label of each sensor to match the correct position of the tyre. Alternatively, you can buy a separate screen that sits on your dashboard and shows the sensor readings. I decided to use the app as it can also show the readings on Android Auto. The readings are transmitted over Bluetooth (BLE) and it works if your phone is in 100 meter range.

Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-screenshot_20230502150551.jpg
The default screen showing the pressure and temperature of each tyre.

Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-screenshot_20230502150613.jpg
The settings screen where you can choose the unit and set alert sound.

Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-screenshot_20230502150630.jpg
Alert history is also preserved.

Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-pxl_20230430_065848012.mp.jpg
You can see the current readings on the Android Auto too.

Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-screenshot_20230502153037.jpg
In the app you can select a tyre to see the readings history.

Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-screenshot_20230502153050_m.jpg
You can also set the low and high thresholds for each tyre. The battery charge is also shown.

After the installation I had a week's time before the trip. I checked the pressure daily, using the app and Michelin 4203 Digital Tyre Pressure guage. The Treel sensor's readings are within +/- 0.5 PSI range of what I can see in the Michelin guage.
The pressure did not drop from 36PSI over the week. I was a bit concerned because I had read some reviews about air leakage from the sensor valve.

On the day of the trip the cold tyre pressure was 36 PSI in the morning. I did not change the default pressure and temperature thresholds in the app. Our drive from Bangalore till Hubbali was uneventful. The road from Hubbali is an undivided single lane with lots of turns on the ghat section.

In this section, I got several warning notifications of high tyre temperature. The front tyres were heating and I received the first warning at 61 degree C. The front left tyre was heating a bit more than the front right. The pressure had also jumped to 42 PSI. The rear tyres were around 50 degree C. I was not sure if 60 degrees was a matter of concern but still, we took a break of 15 mins and parked in the shade to let the temperature drop. Later I searched about the temperature specifications for my tyres but unfortunately could not find very reliable information. Some articles suggest that temperatures upto 90 degrees C should be safe in modern tyres. Will do more reading to learn about this.

The warning notification is shown in the Android auto accompanied by a loud alert sound.
We returned at night and there was a clear difference in tyre pressure and temperature even though we took just two very short breaks and drove almost continuously. We did not get any alert.

I have been driving in the city since the Gokarna trip and I am keeping an eye on the readings. I have noticed following even on short drives (5-10kms)
  • The front tyres heat up more than the rear tyres. The pressure also increases more in the front tyres. My car is front-wheel driven.
  • The temperature in front tyres goes up to mid 50 degrees. The pressure goes to around 40 PSI. The rear pressure hardly increases though the temperature increase little bit.
  • For some reason my front left tyre heats up the more with highest pressure increase too.

That's my short review of my experience of installing and using Treel TPMS for about two months. I will post updates if there are any new noteworthy observations. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th May 2023 at 04:58. Reason: Spacing
adityaprasoon is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 04:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 08:54   #3
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a well thought out system with a clean app. Just the way I like it.

Question: Does the system re-learn the tyre positions (front rear left right) when you do a tyre rotation? Always wondered that in TPMS systems. Especially since this is not an in built system which in some cases can detect which tyre went where and updates the position.

Edit: Just read what you wrote about it. But do the sensors have individual QR codes? And is that accessible from outside the tyre? Because you won’t necessarily know the rotation done by your tyre shop/ASC unless you are present for it.

Last edited by Tgo : 4th May 2023 at 08:56.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:18   #4
BHPian

So how do you add a new sensor to the app? Is it by scanning the qr code? And once you do that it also gets saved onto your cloud login? Meaning, if you delete the app/change your phone, all you need to do is to login and it simply works?

If so, I think this is by far the best aftermarket tpms I have seen at this price point. Kudos to JK for this
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Question: Does the system re-learn the tyre positions (front rear left right) when you do a tyre rotation?
No, it does not automatically detect the position of the tyre.

Quote:
But do the sensors have individual QR codes? And is that accessible from outside the tyre? Because you won’t necessarily know the rotation done by your tyre shop/ASC unless you are present for it.
No, the QR codes are on the box itself and not on the sensor. The sensors are not accessible from outside of the tyre. Yes I agree you won't be able to know the rotated positions if you are not present and paying attention.
One jugaad solution would be to deflate/inflate one of the tyres by 5-10 PSI and check in the app which one shows the change.

I just checked in the app on how to change the tyre position manually, you can just drag-drop the tyres to change their position. A GIF showing this is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-screen202305040917022.gif  

adityaprasoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
So how do you add a new sensor to the app? Is it by scanning the qr code? And once you do that it also gets saved onto your cloud login? Meaning, if you delete the app/change your phone, all you need to do is to login and it simply works?

If so, I think this is by far the best aftermarket tpms I have seen at this price point. Kudos to JK for this
Yes, by scanning a qr code.
Yes to the cloud question too. Reinstalling the app retrieves your tyre info
surfatwork is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Yes, the sensors are linked to your account. When you login on a new device, all the vehicles that you have added along with all the sensors that you have linked to each vehicle is shown. You just have to bring the new device in vicinity of the vehicle to start receiving the sensor readings.
The dealer told me that I can simultaneously login to upto 5 devices and all of them will receive the sensor readings. So if you have multiple family members sharing a vehicle, they all can have the same account logged in their app. I have not tried this though.

The app has some other free features too. It lets you track fuel and other expense per vehicle. I was using the Drivvo app subscription for this earlier but will give this a try too as this is free of charge.

Additional free features in the app.
Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-screenshot_20230504095214.jpg

Can add expenses for multiple categories per vehicle.
Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review-screenshot_20230504095234.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th May 2023 at 12:02. Reason: back to back posts merged
adityaprasoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 10:17   #8
BHPian

You need to know what the rotation pattern is going to be when going for tyre rotation at the service center or the tyre shop.

Then its a simple drag-drop in the app to move the relevant tyre to the new position.

Have been using this for a couple of months, pretty happy with it so far.
toiingg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 10:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a well thought out system with a clean app. Just the way I like it.

Question: Does the system re-learn the tyre positions (front rear left right) when you do a tyre rotation? Always wondered that in TPMS systems. Especially since this is not an in built system which in some cases can detect which tyre went where and updates the position.

Edit: Just read what you wrote about it. But do the sensors have individual QR codes? And is that accessible from outside the tyre? Because you won’t necessarily know the rotation done by your tyre shop/ASC unless you are present for it.
The app has a drag drop feature to move tyre location from one to other while doing rotation. No need to rescan the QR code.

It is an amazing product at a very good price. I got my set of 4 @ 2400 with balancing and alignment. The JK tyre dealer i got it from provided a bill and also confirmed that he will replace incase of any unit failure.

Name:  ezgif4a6c4f599f0.gif
Views: 1856
Size:  3.68 MB
ferrarirules is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 10:54   #10
BHPian

I have been using the JK Treel TPMS for about 10 months now, works as expected.

However I had two instances of slow leakage post installation

1. This was noticed just few days after installation. At the time, I was not in the same city where I got it installed, so couldn't take it to the same tyre shop. After a quick self-inspection, I suspected the outside valve being lose, and used a plier to tighten it a bit. This resolved the issue, and there was no more leakage.

2. I noticed the second slow leakage after a month or two (different wheel). This would drop the pressure by 4 Psi or so in two weeks. At the time was suspecting it to be a puncture. The first shop checked for punctures and after an extensive search, found a tiny puncture, which he fixed. I thought the issue is resolved, but after a week or two again noticed the pressure drop for just this tyre. Next when I got some time, took it to another tyre shop, they checked for punctures, didn't find any, and they too suspected a loose valve, so they said its tightened and should be fixed. But no, the issue remained.

I had to keep topping up just this one tyre every 1-2 weeks, which was irritating. Finally took it to another tyre shop on a lazy morning when there was no rush. They first checked for puncture, didn't find any, and they said it could be the sensor. They removed the tyre from the wheel and re-fixed the sensor, and tightened it properly with the right tools. The entire sensor unit was separated as two pieces to affix it properly.

It's been a month since that, and no more leaks, finally relieved. Had to live with this extremely slow leakage for months. To be honest, since it was a super slow leak, I didn't give much attention to it, else would have got it fixed sooner.

Another thing is that these sensors are available for much less than MRP at most tyre shops. I paid only Rs 350 per piece (alignment and balancing extra), in total I paid just Rs 3000 for installing the sensor in all 5 tyres. These lower priced units come as a package with "smart" JK tyres, but they sell it separately. Regarding warranty, I was told, just bring it to the same shop and they will swap it right then and there.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th May 2023 at 13:33. Reason: As requested
varkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 11:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
However I had two instances of slow leakage post installation
I read some similar complaints about this on Amazon too. I guess the proper fitment is key. All the more reason to get it installed from an experienced dealer.
Old 4th May 2023, 12:18   #12
BHPian

Hi, hope you all had a good time, especially the little one, that was a good info about the TPMS,it is very helpful and necessary when traveling with family and kids.

Since I will be always eager to know the car name and variant in every post, many don't mention the car name, I was looking through yours till the end but nowhere to be seen, can you tell us the name.

Thanks
Safe Driving
Fiatfan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 12:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaprasoon View Post
I inquired a JK tyre reseller nearby and they had the internal TPMS available at the same price as on Amazon. Also, they offered installation, wheel alignment and balancing for free. It was a no-brainer to get it offline from them.
Could you kindly share the details of the reseller that you bought this TPMS system from?
agd19682 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 12:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiatfan View Post
Since I will be always eager to know the car name and variant in every post, many don't mention the car name, I was looking through yours till the end but nowhere to be seen, can you tell us the name.
Thanks! We enjoyed our stay at Gokarna and the long drive equally.

I have a 2021 Tata Tigor XZ+ Petrol model. I did not mention it as I wanted to focus on the TPMS and it should work equally well in any other vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agd19682 View Post
Could you kindly share the details of the reseller that you bought this TPMS system from?
I purchased it from Tyres N Wheels, Thanisandra main road. I have bought tyres for my scooter from them earlier and had a good overall experience.

Contact - 09198886600
Location - https://goo.gl/maps/aEkhCNGGynqkadEG...78573&entry=tt

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2023 at 16:33. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 4th May 2023, 12:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

There is already a thread for the brand, request Mods to merge the threads.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...bluetooth.html (Treel (by JK Tyres) launches internal TPMS sensors with Bluetooth)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks