Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 10:44   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats on your new ride, now we shall meet.
Thanks samurai. Will be glad to meet you. But unfortunately I will have trouble off roading as its not a 4x4. Will need to ask my mechanic if its feasible to turn it into a 4x4?
Old 8th September 2008, 13:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

I thought you were buying the Jeep for off-roading, why did you settle for any 2WD? Well, it can be modified into a 4WD, Arka has done it. But I am sure it is quite complicated.
Old 8th September 2008, 13:10   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
but the sad part is its a 2 wheel drive, not a 4x4.

You sure you wanted a Jeep?
Old 8th September 2008, 13:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...But unfortunately I will have trouble off roading as its not a 4x4. Will need to ask my mechanic if its feasible to turn it into a 4x4?
..... WHAT.???? you should be sent to the gallows and gas chamber and the electric chair. You post in the 4x4 section about buying a 4x4 and then buy a 2WD? Get out of this section and don't come back till you get a 4x4.

Just kidding man... enjoy your MM540.

BUT WHY.!!! WHY did you do this??
Old 8th September 2008, 14:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
Hey Behram, let us say you have a tired xd3p that needs an overhaul. It needs rings, bearings, valves....since it is a dry liner, what do you usually have to do to the cylinder walls? Do you usually have to do machining?
I know the wet liner 2112cc just needs new liners but what is the normal procedure for an xd3p? Please keep your explanation simple, I am mechanically challenged. The reason I ask is because I have found a couple of mm550s that that are old and may need work.
Simple. you machine the cylinder wall and add a "sleeve" aka liner to accomodate standard size pistons. Or you can use oversize pistons(+1/+2...) without a sleeve.
Old 8th September 2008, 14:08   #21
BHPian

yamaniac,
Alfakilo has been doing a lot of adventure and offroading, getting stuck, testing the winching capability and recovery techniques of other members with his 2wheel drive 540. So, dont worry. Bring it along.
BTW, when i was searching for a jeep, i talked to a mechanic in mysore who said he had converted a few 2wheel jeeps to 4x4. I can give his number if you want to talk to him. Just send me a pm.

krishna.
Old 8th September 2008, 14:37   #22
BHPian

Well! I took the jeep to chikmaglur yesterday to my estate. It was an amazing drive. I tackled the badly battered charmady section with only the 3rd and 4th gear. Was an excellent road for a trial with huge crater like potholes. The jeep performed very well. Gave me almost an average of 14 km/pl. Was pretty happy. Earlier I used to drive my Wagon R there and BOY!!! It really used to take a beating. The jeep took everything I gave it on the road I was surprised to see other vehicles like the trax and suv's fall behind me. It was like zip and zap on the landslide road. Kick A**s performance. And strangely I did not even feel tired even after I completed 400 KMS back and forth .

The jeep can easily touch an average speed of 105 kms. I could not take it further than that, as the roads did not permit it.

After I landed at my estate, It was time for a 2x2 drive . I started at a very badly battered, slushy muddy road inside the estate. At one time i though I got stuck. I Prayed to god. grabbed the gear put it on first and pumped the gas. I got jeep out of the slush completely. Next, I had to tackle a steep mountain like area where before my estate jeep which is a "4x4" hardly climbed up without a cinch.Naturally was a 4x4. So then I took the 2x2 drive over the steep terrain. Was a bit doubtful it would cover the range but Yes it did. Although it did not perform like a 4x4 I could make it to the top. and then from there it was again a straight muddy/slushy path. Which I did not have any problem with except for a few wheel spins. Surprisingly the jeep has an amazing torque I guess its because its a 2x2 (I suppose)?. Unlike my estate jeep which is a 4x4, 3 gear DI engine.
But I had already informed our estate tractor operator to get ready in case I get stuck with my MM540. But I could cover the whole estate area normally as I would.

OK.. Now that will give you a fair glimpse of a 2x2 handling the terrain. But yes it might not be as efficient as a 4x4 on off roads. But it did wonders on the road back to Mangalore. The bucket seats saved my day and I felt no cramps on my legs.

I have to work on a few things before I take it back to my estate again or anywhere else.

1) Put a coolant and a water reservoir.

2) Remove the NDMS tyres (Brand new) and go for some nice alloy wheels with probably BFgoodrich tires.

3) Get nice rubber mats for the floor with a custom made carpet.
Are there any ready made carpets available or should I get one made?

4) Get the soft top out and get one made, to make it a convertible.

5) Put in a nicely made roll cage.

6) The front windshield is a bit leaky during rains, So I need to change the rubber beading as well.

7) Get a set of Hella fog lamps on it.

8) And lastly, see if I can convert it into a 4x4. As I use it daily now. I would like to know if its feasible? will there be a drop in mileage?
Old 8th September 2008, 14:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
..... WHAT.???? you should be sent to the gallows and gas chamber and the electric chair. You post in the 4x4 section about buying a 4x4 and then buy a 2WD? Get out of this section and don't come back till you get a 4x4.

Just kidding man... enjoy your MM540.

BUT WHY.!!! WHY did you do this??
Khan,

Hahaha. I know probably I need to commit suicide. But it was love at first sight, and an unconditional love for the MM540. It was like it was Built for me. Just in case, I have a 1991 DI 3 gear "4x4" too with me Just in case if I have to come along and have a 4X4 OTR Cheers mate! But I will surely see if I can convert it into a 4x4 .

Time to rock n roll
Old 8th September 2008, 14:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
yamaniac,
Alfakilo has been doing a lot of adventure and offroading, getting stuck, testing the winching capability and recovery techniques of other members with his 2wheel drive 540. So, dont worry. Bring it along.
BTW, when i was searching for a jeep, i talked to a mechanic in mysore who said he had converted a few 2wheel jeeps to 4x4. I can give his number if you want to talk to him. Just send me a pm.

krishna.
Phew!!! Thanks for consoling me dude. Just in case I get stuck during any OTR's I know you guys will be ready to pull me out. Thanks in advance

I will Pm you
Old 8th September 2008, 15:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi yamaniac,

Congratulations on your buy. MM540 is like a rocket compared to a old DI 3 speeder. I would sugget you the following if you are planning to convert it to a 4x4-

1. Never add a 4x4 to the existing gearbox. It is possible and works flawlessly. But makes lot of noise , i.e transmission noise/ whine.

2. Try finding a 4x4 gearbox as a set from a latest vehicle and run it above 60 kmph to find out if there is any noise. Most original 4x4 gearboxes also have whine, so you have to be lucky. An after market assemnbly will certianly have noise due to uneven gear meshing.

3. Once u add a 4x4 you are going to add weight and the perky performance to some extent will be lost. Slight drop in mileage would be there be prepared for that.

4. You may have to add free wheeling hubs but weight will have its penalty on top speed and initial pick up.

5. A coversion to 4x4 may set you back by 7-15k.

However if you understand jeeps well and dont expect any sort of NVH performance then go and add a 4wd. It is serious fun. To me a jeep is not complete without a 4x4. You already seem to have a Wagon R for on road performance. If you are serious about off roading add a 4wd if not then stick to 2wd, it will still take you to most places.

Where are the pics by the way??? waiting to look at the beauty!
Old 8th September 2008, 15:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi yamaniac,

Congratulations on your buy. MM540 is like a rocket compared to a old DI 3 speeder. I would sugget you the following if you are planning to convert it to a 4x4-

1. Never add a 4x4 to the existing gearbox. It is possible and works flawlessly. But makes lot of noise , i.e transmission noise/ whine.

2. Try finding a 4x4 gearbox as a set from a latest vehicle and run it above 60 kmph to find out if there is any noise. Most original 4x4 gearboxes also have whine, so you have to be lucky. An after market assemnbly will certianly have noise due to uneven gear meshing.

3. Once u add a 4x4 you are going to add weight and the perky performance to some extent will be lost. Slight drop in mileage would be there be prepared for that.

4. You may have to add free wheeling hubs but weight will have its penalty on top speed and initial pick up.

5. A coversion to 4x4 may set you back by 7-15k.

However if you understand jeeps well and dont expect any sort of NVH performance then go and add a 4wd. It is serious fun. To me a jeep is not complete without a 4x4. You already seem to have a Wagon R for on road performance. If you are serious about off roading add a 4wd if not then stick to 2wd, it will still take you to most places.

Where are the pics by the way??? waiting to look at the beauty!
Hey Vinod,

Thanks for the beautiful inputs, Seeing your views on converting it into 4x4. I possibly might have to find a 4x4 gearbox at the junk yard. If Mahindra still manufactures it, I would certainly buy it from them, As I do not want any aftermath affects after fitting an old gear box.

My mechanic has assured me he will install a 4x4 if I like, without any issues, and also suggested the local junk yard.

Right now the Jeep actually is a rocket and the torque is amazing and I have never seen a jeep with such a high initial pickup also the handling is as good as the scorpio but YES!! No Power steering

hmmm If the convertion will cost me 15 k? I better keep it away from me for a while. I will go in for some beautification's of the jeep first.

He also has an old winch, Which I guess is from an old willy's and is prepared to part with it for 600 bucks, I have no idea about the winch performance. I liked the ones that were on the Hyderabad jeeps. I was so eager to get one so I contacted a dealer in China. He says it costs 600 dollars with 200 dollars shipping charges. But was reluctant on sending a single piece and asked me if I can import t atleast 5 winches from him so the charges will be a bit lesser. I will post the details of the winch in my next thread.
So anybody interested in a Chinese winch ?

Pics are on its way. I do not have a good camera with me for now, So I will do it as soon as I get hands on my friends camera.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:22   #27
BHPian

Come on yamaniac,
post some pics man

First get the 600 winch and plonk it. Just for those killer looks till you get a better one. "Keep away from chinese winches". Thats the message i got from the forum.

Regarding winch, there is a lucky singh, owner of Lucky auto parts (the king of aftermarket parts) in hyderabad. I had a chat with him recently and he showed me a winch he imported for a customer. It looks solid and good. Dont remember the company. He said he would give it to me for 24K or so, as i was not interested i didnt even ask the capacity and other tech details.
That day, i introduced him to the forum. Asked him to lurk around for gyan.

krishna
Old 8th September 2008, 16:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Come on yamaniac,
post some pics man

First get the 600 winch and plonk it. Just for those killer looks till you get a better one. "Keep away from chinese winches". Thats the message i got from the forum.

Regarding winch, there is a lucky singh, owner of Lucky auto parts (the king of aftermarket parts) in hyderabad. I had a chat with him recently and he showed me a winch he imported for a customer. It looks solid and good. Dont remember the company. He said he would give it to me for 24K or so, as i was not interested i didnt even ask the capacity and other tech details.
That day, i introduced him to the forum. Asked him to lurk around for gyan.

krishna
I will surely post pics kitty. After yesterdays mud bath, She looks beautifully ugly, The winch's by lucky sing sounds ok for 24 K! Especially when we do not get any extra jeep accessories in India. Ill see if i can find him here. I think Ill plonk the willy's winch. It Needs to be painted and reconditioned though. looks like it has pulled out many things other than jeeps and People, I think it was also used to draw huge water buckets from wells, while the winch was alive, Or thats what the mechanic said. I am planning to buy the winch and mend it on my own. lets see if i can tighten a few nuts and bolts. Now I need to give the MM a bath and click a snap or two
Old 8th September 2008, 16:53   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...After yesterdays mud bath, She looks beautifully ugly, ...
Now I need to give the MM a bath and click a snap..
Only in T-BHP would we hear phrases like this . Get the pictures of the MM with mud bath man -- before you wash her up.
Old 8th September 2008, 17:35   #30
BHPian

have one more thing that i need to know about the jeep!! Although the temperature is always below 80 C the cabin get hot and I mean really very hot after a long drive and becomes quiet sweaty inside! Is this normal? or is there something wrong?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks