Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 11:52   #1
BHPian

Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP

Hey Guys,

I am on the look out for an "MM540" and I Got a call from my mechanic today. He called up to inform me that there is a "MM540 SDP" I had no idea as to what is SDP? So I asked the mechanic was he talking about the DP engine? He said no its "SDP". And I asked him the difference between the "DP & SDP" he said there is a small problem with the SDP engine, the only problem about the engine is that it guzzles "OIL" or I think thats what he meant? Well.. I was like Emmmm! But I said I will settle for the DP engine. Doed anyone here know about the "SDP" Engine on an MM540?
Old 30th August 2008, 13:52   #2
BHPian

Never heard of it. But take a look and take pics so we all can see.

Maybe he means XDP. I have a MM550XDP, and the XDP is the 2.5 liter engine.
Old 30th August 2008, 14:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Never heard of it. But take a look and take pics so we all can see.

Maybe he means XDP. I have a MM550XDP, and the XDP is the 2.5 liter engine.
Yeah Redmm340, I guess that's what he means not sure though. Will check out the jeep tomorrow and see what it really is.
Old 30th August 2008, 14:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gaurav - XDP4.90 is 2112cc, XD3P is 2498cc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th August 2008, 17:02   #5
BHPian

Dear Behram,

Thanks for the clarification regarding the engine.

I checked my Jeep and the tag says:

MM 550 XDB

So I guess the MM 550 XDB came with the XD3P. Sounds like a tongue twister.

Attached is a pic. for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-p8301065.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 17:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

The upper left corner screw is broken on that tag. I will bet Behram notices it.

Hey Behram, let us say you have a tired xd3p that needs an overhaul. It needs rings, bearings, valves....since it is a dry liner, what do you usually have to do to the cylinder walls? Do you usually have to do machining?
I know the wet liner 2112cc just needs new liners but what is the normal procedure for an xd3p? Please keep your explanation simple, I am mechanically challenged. The reason I ask is because I have found a couple of mm550s that that are old and may need work.

And, if you feel like it, can you describe how a compression test is done?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 30th August 2008 at 18:02.
Old 31st August 2008, 01:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The upper left corner screw is broken on that tag. I will bet Behram notices it.
Ken
your sense of humour is getting better and better.

BTW,mahindra has/had so many engines but they dont even have a single site telling novice people like me whats all this about.

Thanks jesus,we have Mr Behram with us.
Old 31st August 2008, 09:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Ken
BTW,mahindra has/had so many engines but they dont even have a single site telling novice people like me whats all this about.
Hi sunny, take a look at

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!

in this forum, post #105. Behram at his best.
Old 1st September 2008, 21:27   #9
BHPian

sad news! I was supposed to leave yesterday to sagar to look at the mm540! But unfortunately the broker said that the owner of the jeep has gone to a wedding and will not be available. I had canceled all my plans, just to go and have a look at the jeep! One more dream shattered :( looks like ill never own a jeep!
Old 1st September 2008, 21:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
sad news! I was supposed to leave yesterday to sagar to look at the mm540! But unfortunately the broker said that the owner of the jeep has gone to a wedding and will not be available. I had canceled all my plans, just to go and have a look at the jeep! One more dream shattered :( looks like ill never own a jeep!

That's really bad luck!

Maybe you and DirtyDan should pitch in and have a group psycho-therapy session to help cope with the lack of a good Jeep.
Old 6th September 2008, 18:36   #11
BHPian

Hey Guys good news! I finally got to own a 93 model mm540. Its amazing and by far better than any other damn car that I have driven. amazing pick up and handling. Has a good body finish too. Will post some pics on it soon. Thanks for all the knowledge that you guys have provided.. made it a snap to get to know about the jeep.
Old 6th September 2008, 21:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the buy.

could you explain some details like how much you paid, how many KMs on the jeep, etc.
Old 6th September 2008, 21:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Hey Guys good news! I finally got to own a 93 model mm540. Its amazing and by far better than any other damn car that I have driven. amazing pick up and handling. Has a good body finish too. Will post some pics on it soon. Thanks for all the knowledge that you guys have provided.. made it a snap to get to know about the jeep.
Congrats Yam. I can literally feel your excitement from the post itself. I am sure you will not sleep today and would be wondering all night about the jeep.

Do post pics and other details.

Now that you have a 4x4, so I hope you will be there for the Sakleshpur meet on the 27th/28th.

Cheers,
Old 6th September 2008, 23:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your new ride, now we shall meet.
Old 8th September 2008, 10:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
congrats on the buy.

could you explain some details like how much you paid, how many KMs on the jeep, etc.
Hey Parm. Thanks.
Its a 93 model mm540 DP, but the sad part is its a 2 wheel drive, not a 4x4. I was supposed by by a 4x4 but I thought I will give this a shot and took it for a test drive and was amazed to see the pick up and the handling that I was totally in love with it. The papers are clean. There is no engine work/Body work or any other mechanical work to be done on the jeep. The price might seem a bit on the higher side but It is a well maintained mm540 with the ex-owner guarding it with his life. I paid 80k for it and the meter reading showed 65k so it must have spun around the 1 lakh radius and back to 65 k. But Its single owner and very well maintained. all 5 new ndms tyres. New battery, All electrical wiring components are all new + Bucket seats and a Blaupunkt cd player with 4 way speakers. I will be posting pictures of it soon and hope i can get a 2x2 to the rally

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks