Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 14:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

I had a good gripping leather steering wheel when I bought my car from Hyundai dealer, but it got torn and I replaced it with something else.

It costed me 450 bucks, hand stitched, but it is no where to my earlier one with grips.

I am looking for a steering wheel with grips, have any of you guys any idea on which brand to search for ? I dont like plain steering covers.
Old 16th December 2010, 20:03   #62
BHPian

Re: Car steering 'Covers' - are they any good?

Can anyone please let me know if there a good place in Chennai to get the steering wrapped with good quality leather cover?
Old 17th December 2010, 23:04   #63
BHPian

This one has been in use for 9 years.. haven't fallen of yet...

Old 17th December 2010, 23:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Is there any place in Delhi or gurgaon where we can get the cover hand stitched onto the steering & gear knob? And how much would it cost for both the things?
Old 18th December 2010, 04:33   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
This one has been in use for 9 years.. haven't fallen of yet...
This one is not Hand stitched ?
its just rolled on, However 9 years certainly shows good quality product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Is there any place in Delhi or gurgaon where we can get the cover hand stitched onto the steering & gear knob? And how much would it cost for both the things?
Try Lajpat Nagar, I think both work should not cost more than 200-300 max.

Lastly
I am also having very shabby steering wheel cover, will check if hand stitched one is available in my town.
Taken few pics from this thread to show it to cover tailors.
Old 18th December 2010, 16:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks mate, however, all I could find are the types from Stanley etc which can be tied onto the steering wheel with nylon threads. I already have this type on my car.

I am not yet sure if this would work, but after failing to find a place where I can get the steering cover & gear knob cover hand stitched, I decided to ask a guy specializing in stitching leather jackets.

I don't need any particular shade or design, but I need a good quality black colour leather material for this job. The guy I spoke to said he can do it.

I haven't yet decided but was hoping if somebody can suggest if this is a simple job or does it require some special type of glue or other stuff etc. Also, is there anything specific to be kept in mind?

Drive safe.
Old 18th December 2010, 16:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a good quality leather steering cover for my Jazz.
I do not want fancy design but just good quality, stitching and grip.

I am not very impressed by the after market leather covers available particularly the way in which they are fitted. Looks and feels much inferior to the factory fitted ones.

Can anyone suggest a brand/model/person with the cost and where can I get it done in Hyderabad?
Old 20th December 2010, 14:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

Guys, just for all those who might not be aware, Stanley is present in Delhi & Gurgaon. We can get the steering covers & gear knobs etc stitched from them.

Drive safe.
Old 20th December 2010, 22:10   #69
BHPian

A shop in Cochin is offering to put leather steering covers @ Rs. 1300/- in my M800. Is the price reasonably? It will be hand-stitched and will take 3 hours. May I know everyone's feedback?

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 20th December 2010, 23:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Nice discussion here, i am currently using a aftermarket wheel cover that is actually working pretty well as it gives the Zen steering a meaty look but it has huge gap and does not cover the wheel completely.

My only concern is if i go for leather wheel cover then the meatiness of the wheel will be gone, if someone has a zen here would understand what i am stating here. Can we get some foam like stuff inserted when they are stitching up the wheel cover?
Old 21st December 2010, 00:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
A shop in Cochin is offering to put leather steering covers @ Rs. 1300/- in my M800. Is the price reasonably? It will be hand-stitched and will take 3 hours. May I know everyone's feedback?

Thanks,
Jose.
I think it's a decent price. Though as they say, if you can break the price further, nothing like it. One request, please post the pictures of the final outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice discussion here, i am currently using a aftermarket wheel cover that is actually working pretty well as it gives the Zen steering a meaty look but it has huge gap and does not cover the wheel completely.

My only concern is if i go for leather wheel cover then the meatiness of the wheel will be gone, if someone has a zen here would understand what i am stating here. Can we get some foam like stuff inserted when they are stitching up the wheel cover?
It can be taken care of. I have been fiddling with this idea & have inquired on a few shops around my place. They can wrap a piece of hard foam before wrapping the leather. But make sure the foam is hard variety. Once again, in case you get it done, please post the pictures.

Drive safe.
Old 21st December 2010, 09:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I think it's a decent price. Though as they say, if you can break the price further, nothing like it. One request, please post the pictures of the final outcome.
I'll do it during X'mas vacation and post the pictures. Total time to complete the task is 3 hours . Is there considerable difference in feel with the leather covers?

Off-topic - Is it possible to fit WagonR gear knob in M800? Is the size of gear shift lever same for all vehicles, at least from Maruti stable?

Regards,
Jose.
Old 21st December 2010, 10:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hey mate, the feel depends on the material. If it's pure leather then it definitely feels better but again like everything in this world, I am sure there are 'n' grades & qualities available. For me, I could get the same feel with a snap-on leather cover (real leather) but I am interested in the hand-stitched variety for the looks.

For the gear knob, I think the stalk size is same, however, you might want to check up with the MGA store on this before making a purchase. Just an option that I wanted to suggest, for the same kind of money as in replacing the gear knob, you can get leather stitched onto the knob as well. Why don't you consider that as well?

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 21st December 2010 at 10:47.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:03   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
I'll do it during X'mas vacation and post the pictures. Total time to complete the task is 3 hours . Is there considerable difference in feel with the leather covers?

Off-topic - Is it possible to fit WagonR gear knob in M800? Is the size of gear shift lever same for all vehicles, at least from Maruti stable?

Regards,
Jose.
What is so special about Wagon r gear knob? Is it more shapely than the m800 one?
Old 21st December 2010, 11:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Hey mate, the feel depends on the material. If it's pure leather then it definitely feels better but again like everything in this world, I am sure there are 'n' grades & qualities available. For me, I could get the same feel with a snap-on leather cover (real leather) but I am interested in the hand-stitched variety for the looks.

For the gear knob, I think the stalk size is same, however, you might want to check up with the MGA store on this before making a purchase. Just an option that I wanted to suggest, for the same kind of money as in replacing the gear knob, you can get leather stitched onto the knob as well. Why don't you consider that as well?

Drive safe.
The brand name is Vanquish leather. They showed me 2 types costing @ Rs. 1300/- & another @ Rs. 2500/- The latter type is much smoother to feel.

Thanks for your pointers on covering the gear knob. Never thought about it. I'll certainly check with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
What is so special about Wagon r gear knob? Is it more shapely than the m800 one?
Dear motomaverick, I found WagonR gear knob's to feel better than the M800 and even they both have the same shape. The difference in feel is because of some kind of chrome finish.

Thanks,
Jose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks