Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:10   #1
BANNED

My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months

hey guys .. got inspired from speedsport's thread and thought that would tell you guys about the new project that was started . well it was started with alot of enthusiasm and energy but slowly that disappeared. The car was a BMW E34 520i 1989 model .

The car has been in our family since 1996 and was bought second hand , used to work fine but there were a few minor problems but slowly it showed signs of old age. So as new cars came along it shifted to the back end of the garage and was quietly resting there. It used to break down alot post 2002 because it used to overheat in the summers and wouldn't start ,so sadly it was just kept aside like a showpiece. In NOV'07 I decided that i would not let that beautiful thing just lie there and rust. Luckily BIRD group (bmw guys) came to the rescue and told me that it could be brought back to working condition so it was transferred to their workshop where it slowly got fixed and i was surprised to learn that there was no major problem with the engine ,just that small tits and bits had to be changed and it was working fine when i got it back in january 08. Most of the parts had been imported by them from Germany.

Driving that car was always a pleasure and it despite of being old had alot of kick in it . originally the car was blue in color ( dont know the real name of color but was dark blue) and i decided that as it was being brought back from the deepest and darkest parts of the garage it needed a new paint job and thus decided to get it painted white. The paint job was done at Autopsyche and was acceptable. so now i had a '89 model 520i running well and white in color looked good was fun to drive but in the world of the modern more tech. advanced cars, it didn't impress the people i know and most of the family members as it wasn't that "practical". So one day in the month of Feb was at the Autopsyche workshop and met speedsport . He told me about the potential the car had and that it could be a nice weekend Fun car if given a new engine and tuned properly. Then it was decided that I'd get a new engine for it and turn it into a car that no one ( in my knowledge) had done in india at that time. So talked to arush and speedsport and was told that there is the option of getting a bmw 2.5 litre engine for it and adding a turbo kit to it or a toyota 2jzge with a bi-turbo setup but being a german car lover i went got the bmw 2.5 ltr engine with the turbo knowing the fact that it would be costlier than that as per the costs quoted to me by Arush .

The car was again transferred to the Autopsyche workshop and we still believe that wen it comes out it would be a car that would be adequately powered to take on the modern day cars head on . The engine was ordered with the necessary parts like the transmission , brakes, a limited slip diff. and other tech stuff req. to do the job ( for details please ask arush). The car was supposed to be on road with the new engine and the turbo for a run in period in 3 - 4 months after the engine had landed here. The engine with the transmission and other necessary parts not the turbo i guess reached the autopsyche workshop in march or so . Slowly work had started off and the 2.0 ltr engine that the car had was taken out but the new engine took a long time to go in (would be all the work of getting it into working condition) .

It has been 10 months approx. now and still the car is standing at the same position there wid the hood off the 2.5 ltr engine in and the turbo hanging on to it. Forgot to mention new suspension has been ordered for it from hotbits too. Now that its been 10 months i am desperate to hear the engine come to life . After being given a lot of delivery dates and getting nothing but technical reasons for the car not being able to start been promised that would get the car by the end of this month in this year i.e dec'08 not much time left so decided that would inform you guys about the project as i knew that you all would be interested in something like this as all of us got petrol running in our veins and just hearing the word turbo in a car charges us for sure.

An aftermarket front bumper has also been imported for it that looks similar to the Rieger front bumper , it was done so as to fit the intercooler in it and as there was some problems encountered while adjusting the intercooler behind the stock front bumper and also because i would like the intercooler to be visible from the outside . So that was all there is for the e34 project that is still in progress.

Attaching a few pics of the car after the white paint job. The front bumper that was purchased is a replica of the red e34. The main goal i had in mind was to make this car into something which had good amount of power and could do 0-100 in sub 6 seconds as i was told at autopsyche that with the current setup i.e the 2.5 ltr engine and the turbo it would do 0-100 in sub 6 seconds. would love to see your replies about this project. A pair of front angel eyes and rear led tail lamps was also ordered and has arrived.

My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months-bmw-mine-3.jpg

My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months-bmw-mine-2.jpg

My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months-bmw_e34_d00053010.jpg

My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months-bmw-mine.jpg

cheers
Accord masters

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd December 2008 at 13:51.
accord masters is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the project finally coming to an end AM, 10 months is a long time indeed! What spec 2.5 engine have you got & what turbo? What BHP output are you looking at?
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. can you please post some engine bay pics?
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:26   #4
BANNED

well sadly project no where near the end....... as the car has yet to start and do the run in successfully. so ya 10 months is till now still counting.
the 2.5 ltr engine as per what i'm told is a 12v and any other details arush could tell as he ordered it. The bhp output that i was told that the car would be doing on daily driving would be near 300hp
My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months-img_0159.jpg

My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months-img_0394.jpg

My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months-img_0168.jpg

Last edited by accord masters : 22nd December 2008 at 01:39.
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:53   #5
BHPian

It's the normal 2.5L SOHC 2 Valve per cylinder engine which is the M20B25, at least that's what speedsport had told me. That engine was good enough to put out 170bhp. It's the engine used in the E34 525i before the introduction of the M50 DOHC VANOS units.

But the absolute kicker is that BMW engines, especially the non nickasil block engines, and the M20 are notorious for being able to withstand high boost in complete stock condition. I have friends in the US pushing 20-25 Psi on their DDs....RELIABLY!!!

AccordMasters, she's nice, but there's a lot more untapped potential there...Try boring it out to 2.7L, many of my friends have noticed tremendous gains in their drag times with the bore and boost...

cheers:
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Accord Masters, superb looking car, but instead of doing a i-6 turbo you should have gone in for a BMW V8 either from the 530 or 540i. Turbo does not suit the character of an E34 and will be a pain to maintain. Where did you find the 2.5 engine, new or used?
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great post accordmaster, really brings out the sentimental values

Im sorry about the major delay, you know im on it as my main priority, yes it was majorly due to technical reasons and my head mechanic taking a leave of two months which majorly screwed up our schedule.

Too add an update on the thread, the engine is in a healthy running condition at this point, all turbo plumbing is complete, wiring is complete. It was good to hear the car roar to life once all the mechanicals were in place, all thats left to bring it on the road now is the drivetrain work.

The car was originally an Auto so the electronics have been very heavy on the interchange to manual, especially the adaptation of the pedals and clutch / gear cylinders, and shifters has been crucial.

Recently we had a major scare when the engine refused to start after the turbo plumbing got complete (it was starting in NA form)... after nearly two weeks of trouble shooting we zeroed in on this control module under the rear seat which had a burnt solder connection. Phew! That was such a relief to find out. Little things like these really push you to the edge on such projects because sometimes even the installer can be as clueless as the customer haha! Its good that i can share some experiences with the build here

Cheers (and one for this awesome car)

Arush
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ Arush

I do remember you telling me that the car has been started & I'd requested to hear the sound, but the battery was out or something.

So when do we hear the menacing growl ?? Looking forward to hear the sound !

@accordmasters

Appreciate your patience, hope the end result meets your expectations. But 300 bhp ? I doubt that. Maybe 170 (stock power) + 50 = 220 Bhp. Even that is a lot of power. C'mon now don't compare it to the M3

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 22nd December 2008 at 11:11.
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

@AM, she looks nice, i've been reading about this project on the forum for sometime, nice to see it! Hope it gets complete soon!

Btw, Ricky63, is that your 190E that's in the background??
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

wow ..... that what a bmw should look like

and those are some gangsta alloys ..... something more subtle will be appropriate, just a suggestion
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:27   #11
BANNED

@ ricky - sir not at all comparing it to the m3 cuz the m3 is in a totally different galaxy than the e34 , because we would be doing stuff in this car that we can't even dare to think to do in the m3 - eg. big burnouts -main reason m3 tyres really costly but yes i was promised close to 300 hp when the project was being started and a sub 6 second car so i have a way to test it out . When it gets complete going to put it up against the s500 in a drag because that car does a 0-100 sprint in 5.5 second so the e34 shouldn't be far behind and if it is then d project ain't complete.

@ rahulcool - want to change the alloys now cuz these were 18'' and they are damaged thanks to the delhi roads so would be shifting to 17''. any suggestions from you guys for the alloys?????

@ autopsyche - well if you say the car has started with the turbo in place then i should expect you to fulfill your commitment of handing over the car to me this year (by dec end i.e)

cheers
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Definitely accordmasters, my aim is to get it on the road within this year and drive over to your place, just finalizing one some key gearbox and driveline parts that are needed to get it rolling
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
@AM, she looks nice, i've been reading about this project on the forum for sometime, nice to see it! Hope it gets complete soon!

Btw, Ricky63, is that your 190E that's in the background??

No sir that is unfortunately NOT my 190

@accordmasters
When it gets complete going to put it up against the s500 in a drag because that car does a 0-100 sprint in 5.5 second so the e34 shouldn't be far behind and if it is then d project ain't complete.

So you have your own "equipment" to test the car's performance and yes IMHO this time around try & go a little low key (read subtle) on the alloys !!

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 22nd December 2008 at 17:47.
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:45   #14
BANNED

@ ricky - sir i agree would be going in for a more subtle design. I have shortlisted a few which include the e46 m3 rims ,the current m5 rims , ac schnitzer type III but which ever rim design i select is unavailable according to arush .. and importing it is not an option because they would be really costly. for now i think id b going in for this design by prestige rims in 17''. It looks like a replica of d current set of rims that come on the beemers these days mostly on the 7 series
My E34 project... my dream in the workshop for the past 10 months-166.jpg

cheers
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Marvellous job AM! looks like it's just been rolled out of the factory. Pristine indeed. Kudos to you!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks