Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 12:47   #976
BANNED

Re: Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What about 3M? I haven't even come across a dealer for that. Do they just randomly supply there stuff to accessory shops? Since they too charge a lot like Vkool, the least I would expect is for them to have a dealer.
You are absolutely correct.

I don't think there are any 3M authorised outlet in Delhi. Even the shopkeeper I had a word with prior to getting VKooled wasn't keen on pushing 3M. Yes, if I had insisted he would have given me one but as he said, honouring warranty would be an issue, after all it will be his head that I will be after in case of any problem.

When I tried looking for one in their website for my Maruti I was led to MASS.
Old 6th April 2012, 22:22   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Garware is good, but my Car Acessories dealer told me about a brand named Global, Which is also made in the USA like 3M. I have not personally used it. Does anyone have a first hand experience with Global brand?
Yesterday i got Global GS80(80%vlt) fitted to the front windscreen of my Santro. It is based on Nano-ceramic technology. Costing Rs. 8500.

Alongwith that I got garware 50% VLT(Glacial Series) tint for the sides & 70% (IceCool Series)for the rear. The Garware film is based on Metallised film technology. The garware was from some surplus Chevorlet branded stock. Got a good deal so did not mind. Costing Rs. 4800.

The Global GS80 has a claimed heat rejection ratio of 56% - do not recollect exact value. It does cut out the sting from the direct sun rays. Also the windscreen is crystal clear during night. Will update after driving the car around in the sun.

But first impressions are as follows:-

Global GS80 really performs. It cuts off more heat than the Garware Glacial (50VLT).
Garware 70 VLT (Ice Cool) is almost transparent. have not got a feel of the amount of heat it cuts off - will update later.
Old 6th April 2012, 23:08   #978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Global GS80 really performs. It cuts off more heat than the Garware Glacial (50VLT).
Garware 70 VLT (Ice Cool) is almost transparent. have not got a feel of the amount of heat it cuts off - will update later.
Global sunfilms is the same as Garware. US counterpart of Garware is Global window films. Garware makes the film and they are sold as Global abroad.

Not many people know this news.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 02:45   #979
BHPian

My XUV with Garware Icecool Shield for the Windscreen and 3M CS35 for sides and rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Film-20120409-16.16.42.jpg  

Sun Film-20120409-16.17.03.jpg  

Old 10th April 2012, 14:51   #980
Team-BHP Support

I had got my Figo's front sunfilm installed by Meda Window film based in Bangalore. Fellow T-BHPian Condor and another friend of mine also got it installed from the same guy.

Not many people know about the Garware range and I saw that there was no place where details of Garware tints were available. I asked Shreyas from Meda to send across details of products available currently i.e. the latest range since the website is outdated.

Here's the product range and details from Shreyas:

Quote:
We can categorize the films in Garware as below.

For Sides & Back Only:
1. Performance
2. Ceramic / NF
3. Arctic Cool

Product Details:
1. Performance:
This is a 1.5 MIL thickness Film.
Colour variants: charcoal 05, natural 20 & 35, GREY 50.
Varying heat rejections between 48% to 65%

2. Ceramic / films:
Thickness: 1.5 MIL
Available Colours: Charcoal & Grey only
Visibilities: 20, 30 & 40
Heat Rejections: varies between: 50% to 55%. 20 VLT has a little higher Heat Rejection.
PS: 20% VLT is a customised product and is only available with Meda.

3. Arctic Cool:
Only 1 colour is available.
Heat rejection: 75%
VLT: 25%
Thickness: 1.5 MIL
Colour: light green tint
The high End Product.

For Front Windscreen:
1. Icecool shield
2. Alps
Both have almost the same performance characteristics. But Alps is dearer by another Rs. 500 /-
Contact details: Meda Window films - Shreyas - +91 - 9986502625

Installation is done at your house. You can contact above number for anymore details and pricing.

ps: I am not in anyway associated with Meda/Garware. Purely for benefit of members I asked Shreyas for details on his products and have posted here.
Old 10th April 2012, 23:26   #981
BHPian

The following seems to be the car pack from Garware. http://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/pro.../car_packs.pdf

There is also ICECOOL elite and ICECOOL grand available for sides and the back. One of our fellow bhpian has installed ICECOOl elite on his Dzire (for the sides and the rear).
Old 11th April 2012, 11:43   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
The following seems to be the car pack from Garware. http://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/pro.../car_packs.pdf

There is also ICECOOL elite and ICECOOL grand available for sides and the back. One of our fellow bhpian has installed ICECOOl elite on his Dzire (for the sides and the rear).
Icecool Grand isn't available anymore (thats what my dealer told me when I went to him a couple of weeks ago to get the Icecool Shield redone on my Punto - due to a cracked windshield). I have used the Icecool Elite for best part of 3 years now (for sides and rear) - its pure VFM.
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 16:38   #983
BHPian

Yesterday was thefirst test of the car in Mid-day sun after fitting the films.

Left it parked in the sun from 11.30 to 13.00 hrs- absolutely no shade & all windows rolled up for security reasons. Max temp. nowadays is around 39C.

When I got into the car I was able to hold the steering wheel without any problems. ( Normally I need to use a cloth to hold the wheel.) Drove for about 1 min. with the windows open & then started up the a/c. Now the Santro's a/c is pretty pathetic & previously I would not even try to switch it on before 4p.m. But now I was able to sit very comfortably behind the wheel and see that the cabin was getting cooled (not chilled though!) within a couple of minutes. For the rest of the 45 mins. or so I & passenger ( he actually dozed off!) were most comfortable - no sweating and no "chatkas" from the sun.

So it has worked out well.
Old 11th April 2012, 19:53   #984
BHPian

need advise. In my car rear sun film to replace on-warranty. Now problem is defogger. I am bit concern, how to remove to the sun film. Any precaution to take while removing the film. Please suggest.
Old 11th April 2012, 23:18   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
need advise. In my car rear sun film to replace on-warranty. Now problem is defogger. I am bit concern, how to remove to the sun film. Any precaution to take while removing the film. Please suggest.
What brand is the sunfilm? My car had 3M. When I went for changing the sunfilm to a darker shade in 3M itself, the installer simply pulled off the whole film in one single attempt from the back and the defogger strips were undamaged. But he did mention that 3M's and some particular films exhibit this. With Garware and maybe Lumar its not possible.
Old 11th April 2012, 23:37   #986
Senior - BHPian

As per what I learnt, it's best to avoid putting a sun-film on a defogger. More often than not, I have found people facing issues with the film bubbling up with the use of defoggers around that area.

Quote:
Old 12th April 2012, 00:07   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
What brand is the sunfilm? My car had 3M. When I went for changing the sunfilm to a darker shade in 3M itself, the installer simply pulled off the whole film in one single attempt from the back and the defogger strips were undamaged. But he did mention that 3M's and some particular films exhibit this. With Garware and maybe Lumar its not possible.
Sun film is from Garware. Are you sure its not possible to remove garware sunfilm in one go?

Last edited by kalpurja : 12th April 2012 at 00:15.
Old 12th April 2012, 00:12   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Sun film is from Garware. Are you sure its possible to remove garware sunfilm in one go?
No no you understood the other way. I meant to say that the installer specifically told me that Garware and to some extent Lumar films do not come off cleanly and leave a lot of gum and residue. 3M for example comes off very clean and probably thats the reason it was easy to remove it as well without any damage to the defogger wire strips
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 00:22   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
No no you understood the other way. I meant to say that the installer specifically told me that Garware and to some extent Lumar films do not come off cleanly and leave a lot of gum and residue. 3M for example comes off very clean and probably thats the reason it was easy to remove it as well without any damage to the defogger wire strips
To remove gum and residue, there are lot of cleaning material available in market like Mr Muscle. my only concern is while removing the sunfilm there should not be any damage to defogger.

Last edited by kalpurja : 12th April 2012 at 00:28.
Old 12th April 2012, 08:03   #990
BHPian

Quote:
To remove gum and residue, there are lot of cleaning material available in market like Mr Muscle. my only concern is while removing the sunfilm there should not be any damage to defogger.
And that is where the actual problem lies. If you have too much gum and residue left to clean over afterwards, there are higher chances that the wire strips will be damaged in the process. the rubbing scrubbing and peeling off leads to a higher probability that scratched/scrubbed strips give a problem later on.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks