Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 19:20   #76

Bought Stanley 500amp JC509 From global ebuy For 5616/- (i had a discunt voucher ).
Thanks Shamanth for all the reviews which helped me decide.
By the ways ...Do u know the Stanley's website for the same..tried searchin it on google....but not relevant
Old 7th November 2010, 20:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswami4 View Post
Bought Stanley 500amp JC509 From global ebuy For 5616/- (i had a discunt voucher ).
By the ways ...Do u know the Stanley's website for the same..tried searchin it on google....but not relevant
Not sure about the website, but if you go to Amazon.com and search for jumpstarter, Stanley is one of the highest rated one by customers. When i bought it i went through details which was one of the best and choose that, there were no ratings at that time. Which is indeed having most powerful battery and lot of options.
Old 13th November 2010, 14:25   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswami4 View Post
Came to know Stanley belongs to Black & Decker, Stanley is one of the product owned by them, they have lot of product including Stanley, Black & Decker, Dewalt, Porter Cable and lot more. In india Black & Decker is marketed by Bosch as per Metro cash and carry sales guy.

check the website

Stanley Black & Decker

Our Brands | Stanley Black & Decker
Old 6th July 2012, 16:56   #79
BHPian

Re: Jump Starters for Auto Transmission Vehicles

I'm going to hack (yet another) old thread to life ....

Has anyone bought jumper cables in Chennai? Any known reliable shops you can suggest me? I see a thread for Bangy shops in search, nothing on Chennai yet.
Old 6th July 2012, 22:44   #80
BANNED

After the eBay misfire with 500A cables from Trivandrum we need some reliable Mail Order source.

Also, I need to know the grade of copper wire required to make jumpers. The clamps on the Trivandrum stuff are good, so I want to replace the wires. Any suggestions?
Old 29th July 2012, 14:15   #81
BHPian

OK, so I'm in US for a few days - wandering through nearby Walmart for auto-accessories (got front windshield shade, stick-on blind spot mirrors and what not)

.. but the real purpose I was there was jumper cables. Now, here's the confusion: Apparently, they didn't feel like write amperage on the cover. Only something called a "Gauge" rating (which I've learned translates to width of wire, small number = thicker wire)

I'm getting
Gauge 8 for ~$14 (cover says = for small cars)
Gauge 6 for ~$30 (cover says = for mid-size)
Gauge 4 for ~$50 (cover says = for mini-vans, trucks)

Team-BHP, what's your suggestion? I own a Honda City
Old 29th July 2012, 18:33   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.city View Post
Only something called a "Gauge" rating (which I've learned translates to width of wire, small number = thicker wire)

I'm getting
Gauge 8 for ~$14 (cover says = for small cars)
Gauge 6 for ~$30 (cover says = for mid-size)
Gauge 4 for ~$50 (cover says = for mini-vans, trucks)

Team-BHP, what's your suggestion? I own a Honda City
Assuming the product is what it says it is i.e. proper gauge and made of copper, remember each AWG rating has a max amp rating and overloading it is not recommended. Overloading will lead to the conductor heating up or even melting, ditto for the insulation. Also longer the cable run, the thicker it needs to be - i.e. lower AWG.

For max amps/AWG rating see here:

American Wire Gauge (AWG) Cable Conductor Size Chart / Table

In India we use the metric (sq. mm) method of measuring wire gauge.

The Honda City would be a sub compact/small car by US standards, even so I'd say get the 6 gauge. Manufacturers, especially Chinese overrate their products.

Your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
After the eBay misfire with 500A cables from Trivandrum we need some reliable Mail Order source.

Also, I need to know the grade of copper wire required to make jumpers. The clamps on the Trivandrum stuff are good, so I want to replace the wires. Any suggestions?
sgittk, this may help you as well. For the Honda Civic, I'd go in for 6 (at least) preferably a 4 gauge cable. Good quality cables made by Finolex or Polycab are best. I assume you already have suitable clamps. My choice tends towards the thicker cable due to the safety aspect.

PS - I have Taiwanese make jumper cable set - 6 gauge I think. Reasonably well made.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th July 2012 at 18:38.
Old 29th July 2012, 22:59   #83
BHPian

Thanks for replying R2D2, but you confused me even further.

This thread is full of jumper cable amperage in order of 300A~500A. But the amperage conversion from your link for Gauge4 wire is in order of 60A. How is that enough? Or am I missing something here. Thanks in advance.

Also,
Quote:
Manufacturers, especially Chinese overrate their products.
Whaa? Well, to that I disagree!
Old 30th July 2012, 15:03   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.city View Post
This thread is full of jumper cable amperage in order of 300A~500A. But the amperage conversion from your link for Gauge4 wire is in order of 60A. How is that enough? Or am I missing something here. Thanks in advance.
I cannot say how much off hand. However, the figures you get are the continuous ratings which in this case we need it only for a few seconds. In this a 5-10x over rating should be acceptable.
Old 31st July 2012, 14:06   #85
BHPian

Alright, so i ended up buying this .. 6 gauge. Looks pretty solid. Comes with a nice storage bag. Good $28.88 spent.

And it says 'made in USA'. So that solves our other China problem

Name:  ForumRunner_20120731_013455.png
Views: 1277
Size:  551.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120731_013128.png
Views: 1301
Size:  602.9 KB
the.city is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 20:18   #86
BHPian

How do I decide which Jumper Cable to buy - 300 A, 400 A or 500 A?

I have a 53AH battery in my car. Does this affect the choice of a Jumper Cable?
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:02   #87
BANNED

Just saw there on e-bay. I am wondering whether these are kosher

http://www.ebay.in/itm/10-FOOT-CAR-B...item3cc1c3c6a0

leading to

http://www.ebay.in/itm/200-AMP-Jumpe...item27cc09f918

The other one has wires of 5' each only. I have em-mailed the chap. Also, any idea about the gauge of wire to be used for Jumpers. I must say the clamps of the Trivandrum chap look good.
Old 5th November 2012, 14:26   #88
BANNED

Got some replies from both Sirji and can.n.more. They have longer wires, much thinner (less of insulation) which look very similar. Any experience. I had to use my jumper for a firend's Swift. Then checked the Halford's wire now in my jumper. OD, ~7mm wire strand ~5.5mm dia.
Old 5th November 2012, 22:48   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

After my car battery went dead(OE Battery) I created a cable in a hurry and used it for starting the car as I was not ready to push start the car. The car had stalled outside my house so it was not much of a problem. But to park it in the night, the car had to be started. I went to the electrical shop, asked for the thickest wire he had. He only had 6sq. mm wires which were used for domestic wiring. Got that and two pairs of clamps(or whatever it is called). Crimped the wires to the clamps and in a time span of half hour, I was able to start the car in the first attempt. As my cars are petrol, I think the wire was sufficient enough. Planning to upgrade the wire thickness if I find something better. I was always searching for a set of jump start cables but when the necessity aroused, I had to make my own. Serves the purpose well. Neighbours are borrowing the cable now and it has been used multiple times. It costed me less than 200 bucks IIRC.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th November 2012 at 22:49.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 09:31   #90
BANNED

I used the old clamps from the Trivandrum crookk and bought some 14 sq mm cable (Havells @142/metre) and made the jumper. Also, measured the wire from the Trivandrum chap - possibly 3-4sq mm. So may have just worked, but the crimping was horrible, just a couple of strand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks