Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:36   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

fitted the 500FF. the difference is so huge, that its not even funny!
best 4K ever spent!
Old 15th April 2018, 10:20   #347
BHPian

for better highway lighting on night drive, or bad roads, which would be suitable : Hella Comet 500 / Hella 500FF / Hella 700FF ?
Old 28th September 2018, 11:20   #348
BANNED

I want to reaffirm the safe limit of the amp draw.

I was running 330 watts including 4nos 55w hella 500ff, I am upgrading to 100 w bulbs in the 4 hella 500ffs.

It will be a great comfort if some one is able to say for sure that the additional 15 amps without any ill effects.
Old 30th September 2018, 04:45   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post

I was running 330 watts including 4nos 55w hella 500ff, I am upgrading to 100 w bulbs in the 4 hella 500ffs.

It will be a great comfort if some one is able to say for sure that the additional 15 amps without any ill effects.
If you are planning for an onroad application of these lights with 100w bulbs, I can confirm that these will cause great discomfort to oncoming traffic.

You need to check alternator/battery specs and do the charging/discharge calculations to identify if your vehicle can take the electrical load.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 09:01   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If we include two headlamps bulbs and other electricals in the car, the current consumption would be around ~55Amps and it extremely high for constant current consumption for any stock alternator.

Moreover, just putting higher wattage bulbs is not the way. You need to check current ratings of the wires and adequate relays in entire wiring. Mind it, this is extremely necessary for safety purpose.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 09:20   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These lamps will blind oncoming traffic so please be judicious with their use.

As I mentioned on this thread Car audio advice (Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!) you need to use an ammeter or clamp meter to measure current draw to ascertain:

a) The exact load in amps with all new accessories + the factory accessories switched on.

b) If the alternator can actually handle the total load. Some alternators have their specs on the label. I have seen this with OEM Denso in Ford cars.

c) If the wiring needs to be upgraded. Generally 100 W x 5 + the power horns is one heck of a load when run simultaneously and I would advise you to be cautious. Also, undersized and improperly done wiring can represent a fire hazard. So please be careful. Make sure you use the correct gauge of wiring and fuse the new circuits.

Be aware your car's alternator will be sized by the factory according to stock load + a reasonable margin. If you exceed that you will have problems with the battery not being able to charge and alternator rectifier/regulator being overloaded and damaged.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 12:22   #352
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
If you are planning for an onroad application of these lights with 100w bulbs
I this paranoid about lighting after I had an accident after being blinded by two AL Dosts overtaking each other on a dual carriageway. I have noticed that the current top models of a lot of cars have upto 8 lights and they are running high wattage bulbs, hence prompting this self defense on my part. I drive around with 55w dipped beams on dual carriageways, and use these for a second or two when completely blinded by Volvos or lorrys. This is not a act of war but a flailing defence on my part.

I have the base model without music system, power widows and other gadgetry. I have used my 4x100w Hella and 55/60 headlight along with the power horn (Bosch Europa + Minda HN09 OR Hella single trumpet) on my recent 700km night drive. When I was getting the Bosch Europa fitted, there was a problem with the switch and the horns didn't function and it required some adjustments.

One week after the conclusion of the drive, the car was parked covered in TPH armor cover on the road, the same issue has cropped again with both the horns working intermittently when I took it out for a short 200km drive.

I am planning to source Wolo RC100 remote switches to bypass the crude switch and solve the issue. Any help in this regard is welcome and I will update further.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th October 2018 at 23:44. Reason: Post fixed - typos. Please run a spell-check before posting. Thanks!
Old 9th October 2018, 03:26   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I this paranoid about lighting after I had an accident after being blinded by two AL Dosts overtaking each other on a dual carriageway. I have noticed that the current top models of a lot of cars have upto 8 lights and they are running high wattage bulbs, hence prompting this self defense on my part. I drive around with 55w dipped beams on dual carriageways, and use these for a second or two when completely blinded by Volvos or lorrys. This is not a act of war but a flailing defence on my part.
If you got into an accident because of high output lights from another vehicle, be aware that it can happen to other drivers due to your high output lights as well, and it doesn't matter if its a Volvo or lorry on the other side. And that can cause danger to you too.

Secondly if something unwanted happen, by default you will be at fault.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th October 2018 at 23:44. Reason: Minor typo.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 14:04   #354
BANNED

Quote:
If you got into an accident because of high output lights from another vehicle, be aware that it can happen to other drivers due to your high output lights as well, and it doesn't matter if its a Volvo or lorry on the other side. And that can cause danger to you too.

Secondly if something unwanted happen, by default you will be at fault.

Just my 2 cents.
Regarding the fault, I do agree that its inevitable. I hope my Viofo dashcam might mitigate the harshness of the situation (should it arise)to a wee bit.

I am perfectly aware of the danger and I avoid confrontation on the dual carriageways at all costs. Only when I am starkly blinded, I light up the road for a fraction of second. I resort to that too only when I am very close to the vehicle. This I follow to proactively avoid the danger after the blinding vehicle has passed by.

Above all things, this is a removable setup and I bring it out of my hatch only when I anticipate a long drive, hence I never use them in town.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th October 2018 at 23:41. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 26th October 2018, 20:13   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I would suggest you get the clamps for fixing the lamps done from outside. The wiring is pretty simple and you can do it yourselves. Thanks to Hella for providing the complete wiring kit. All you need is a drill to fix the switch and the relay. I did my wiring in less than an hour.
Hello, where did you buy the lamps in Bangalore. Any authorized dealer? Details please. Also, where did you get the clamps fitted in Bangalore. Tried a few shops but .

Quote:
Sorry I should have mentioned earlier; I am using Extreme vision bulbs for the last 1 year; but it really don't help much to illuminate the 20-40 meter in front if the car when you are on high beam on a 2 lane highway with so many 100/130w highbeam morons coming from opposite side.

Banged some large potholes because it wasn't illuminated in my last trip.
Philips Rally bulbs 100/90 or 100/130 fitted with relay would do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am also toying with the idea of throwing away the supposedly crap Hella wiring harness and relays which come appropriate for the 55w lamps, and get a 90/100 compatible Root's wiring harness and relay and upgrade to 100 watt bulbs for the 50FF. Would like to know if this should be okay.
Did you ever connect the Hella lamps to a 90/100 relay with 100w bulbs in the lamps!! What was your experience?

Last edited by aah78 : 26th October 2018 at 23:40. Reason: Typos fixed. Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 26th October 2018, 23:16   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andescondor View Post
Did you ever connect th Hella lamps to a 90/100 relay with 100w bulbs in the lamps!! What was your experience?
I think he meant throwing away the Hellas and stick to 90/100 in place of the stock headlights. I had long back mailed to hella asking about the possibility of a higher watt bulb and go the reply that the reflectors would not be able to take the heat.
Old 27th October 2018, 10:35   #357
BANNED

Quote:
One week after the conclusion of the drive, the car was parked covered in TPH armor cover on the road, the same issue has cropped again with both the horns working intermittently when I took it out for a short 200km drive.
The problem has been resolved. The cause of the problem was the faulty changeover switch. Once the switch was replaced the problem was completely resolved. The 4 hellas(4x100w) were working fine and the both the Bosch Europa pair and the 312w hella single trumpet sounded perfectly whenever toggled on.
Old 31st October 2018, 15:18   #358
BHPian

Friends, need a quick clarification. Are all h3 bulbs the same? For example, can I replace a Hella 55w h3 in a 700ff dome with an Osram Nightbreaker plus h3 55w? Please advise. Thank you.

Note: I don't want to upgrade the 700ff 55w bulbs to 100w as it creates some more load on the battery.

Last edited by andescondor : 31st October 2018 at 15:38.
Old 31st October 2018, 15:28   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I think he meant throwing away the Hellas and stick to 90/100 in place of the stock headlights. I had long back mailed to hella asking about the possibility of a higher watt bulb and go the reply that the reflectors would not be able to take the heat.
I was about to write to them but restrained myself after seeing your post. Thanks!
Old 31st October 2018, 15:58   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

No, I wanted to actually upgrade the stock bulbs INSIDE the Hella's to 100W bulbs, but I think I was advised against it - I don't think the glass is meant to handle such heat.

Even switching to LED's will make no sense as the reflectors are not designed to manage LED lighting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks