Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 19:28   #1486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I just double checked the MRP. It is actually INR 808. Is it the case that Minda are putting a higher MRP for showrooms? or is your product different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I did check the price tag and it was mentioned 1800 for a pair
Are these Minda horns superior to Roots Windtone which can be found online for as low as 460 bucks? Getting them from the showroom makes sense if one wants to retain warranty. Just wondering if the Roots equivalent is superior or inferior.
Old 16th September 2015, 09:30   #1487
Senior - BHPian

re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Are these Minda horns superior to Roots Windtone which can be found online for as low as 460 bucks? Getting them from the showroom makes sense if one wants to retain warranty. Just wondering if the Roots equivalent is superior or inferior.
As per my experience Roots makes one of the best horns and the added advantage that they are repairable.
Old 16th September 2015, 09:53   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
As per my experience Roots makes one of the best horns and the added advantage that they are repairable.
Though I have fitted a pair of Hella Spice Tone horns (which are about the same size as and similar in appearance to the Roots Vibrosonic) on my Duke, I had also ordered a pair of Roots Windtone from Snapdeal since they seemed to be a good deal at 460 bucks. I do plan to install them on one of our vehicles. Yes, Minda makes good, durable horns too but I have seen more reverence for Roots than the former. So I made a good purchase for 460 rupees then.
Old 17th September 2015, 10:06   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I just double checked the MRP. It is actually INR 808. Is it the case that Minda are putting a higher MRP for showrooms? or is your product different?
This MRP sticker was no where found in the box. I just saw the normal yellow small sticker with Rs.1800 printed. Along with me, there were couple of other new cars in which these were fitted. So, its a premium price.
Old 17th September 2015, 11:17   #1490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I have fitted a pair of Hella Spice Tone horns (which are about the same size as and similar in appearance to the Roots Vibrosonic) on my Duke, I had also ordered a pair of Roots Windtone from Snapdeal since they seemed to be a good deal at 460 bucks. I do plan to install them on one of our vehicles. Yes, Minda makes good, durable horns too but I have seen more reverence for Roots than the former. So I made a good purchase for 460 rupees then.
There is one more company caller Seger trumpets.Been using them since 3+ years on my swift with no complaints touchwood.
http://en.seger.com/product/62E/

Last edited by rakesh_r : 17th September 2015 at 11:20.
Old 17th September 2015, 12:58   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
There is one more company caller Seger trumpets.Been using them since 3+ years on my swift with no complaints touchwood.
http://en.seger.com/product/62E/
I have read about this make on this forum itself but never really probed much. The model you quoted looks interesting. I am guessing that by "electronic card" they mean the horn either has no contact breaker points or if it does the current through them is only enough to drive the electronic circuit. Its working may be similar to some CB point replacement kits for Bullets. Reducing the current flow through the points drastically cuts down on pitting caused due to arcing. Thanks for sharing.

In any case it seems that the Windtones will either go on our Bullet or Pulsar which means they need to be cheap enough to replace in the event of premature failure which can easily be caused by water spray on a Motorcycle.

For my Swift I had acquired a pair of Hella Supertone horns. I would have preferred to mount these red grille horns on the Duke because of their high loudness to weight ratio but they draw 5.5A to 6A each. The Hella Spice Tone horns are really heavy but are as loud as the Supertone with only 3.5A current draw. Trumpet horns always draw more than 5A so that is why they were never an option for the Duke even though are usually very compact.
Old 17th September 2015, 13:53   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Got installed the Minda Jazz horn from Honda showroom last week. Its the trumpet sound like in Skoda and Audi. Costed me 1800/-
I got the exact same horn @700 including installation in Sep, 2014.

I am quite happy with the horn even after one year.
Old 18th September 2015, 12:01   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have read about this make on this forum itself but never really probed much. The model you quoted looks interesting. I am guessing that by "electronic card" they mean the horn either has no contact breaker points or if it does the current through them is only enough to drive the electronic circuit. Its working may be similar to some CB point replacement kits for Bullets. Reducing the current flow through the points drastically cuts down on pitting caused due to arcing. Thanks for sharing.

In any case it seems that the Windtones will either go on our Bullet or Pulsar which means they need to be cheap enough to replace in the event of premature failure which can easily be caused by water spray on a Motorcycle.

For my Swift I had acquired a pair of Hella Supertone horns. I would have preferred to mount these red grille horns on the Duke because of their high loudness to weight ratio but they draw 5.5A to 6A each. The Hella Spice Tone horns are really heavy but are as loud as the Supertone with only 3.5A current draw. Trumpet horns always draw more than 5A so that is why they were never an option for the Duke even though are usually very compact.
I would not recommend trumpets on a motorcycle.One splash of water it starts quacking like a duck.About the Hella redgrills using them on my Bullet.
On my swift I have a Roots Vibrosonic and Seger Trumpets,controlled by a simple toggle switch,the former being for the highways.
Old 18th September 2015, 14:40   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
I would not recommend trumpets on a motorcycle.One splash of water it starts quacking like a duck.About the Hella redgrills using them on my Bullet.
On my swift I have a Roots Vibrosonic and Seger Trumpets,controlled by a simple toggle switch,the former being for the highways.
Is the Vibrosonic really that effective on highways? The Spice Tone on my Duke doesn't really get the kind of response I expect from such horns and they are rated at 118dB while Vibrosonic is 110dB.

Yeah, trumpet type horns cannot last very long on a motorcycle. I will have to see what I can do with them.
Old 19th September 2015, 09:51   #1495
BHPian

I am using hella red grill and those seem loud enough, would anyone know how much bd it would be ? One of them is showing signs of dying so might need a replacement. Is the yellow one better ?
Old 19th September 2015, 13:45   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
I am using hella red grill and those seem loud enough, would anyone know how much bd it would be ? One of them is showing signs of dying so might need a replacement. Is the yellow one better ?
I have an unused new pair each of the Supertone (Red grille) and Sharptone (yellow panther) and the former is bigger, louder and draws more current. Build quality of the red ones is also better which is why they will go in my car. The red ones are rated at 118dB while the yellow ones at 106-118dB.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 14:30   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Got Minda trumpets installed in my City yesterday. Really good horn. Costed - 670 including installation.

I am appalled at the OEM horns Honda supplies. They look like a moped horn and sounds as bad.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 18:32   #1498
BHPian

few months back, the OE horn in my Xylo (5.5 yrs aged) suddenly started sounding very low, weird tone. The sound was just OK to be heard on a relatively quieter road! I had been to the MMASS and the engineer 'tuned' a screw on the horns. The horn got OK.

Again last week, the horn behaved low tone. I will check with MMASS if some 'tuning' or quick-fix is available. Else, I plan to buy a new one.
I have read good about Hella Red Grill on this forum, suggesting that its pretty loud than most OE - any experience for Xylo ? and will a relay be require ?

thanks,
Old 11th October 2015, 21:09   #1499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Else, I plan to buy a new one.
I have read good about Hella Red Grill on this forum, suggesting that its pretty loud than most OE - any experience for Xylo ? and will a relay be require ?
Red grills are really good, provided you get your hands on a genuine Hella. Best part is, they are repairable.

I have them on my 4WD Scorpio for the past 10 months and no issues. They are waterproof as well. Few guys have it on their SUV's and most appear satisfied with their purchase.

No relay is required for my Scorpio. Believe it should be true for Xylo as well. IMO, your OE horns have lasted well enough, maybe time to let them RIP.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th October 2015 at 21:32.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 21:21   #1500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
My top picks are- Hella Red Grille(look for Made in India, with warranty), Roots Megasonic and Bosch Fanfare(windtone type). Check which one you like better, my personal preference is Hella Red Grille(check my XUV ownership thread for installation details).
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks