Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 11:23   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Power Horns!

I have been using the Hella Chrome in my Fiesta for the past couple of years. It sounds quite sharp and does a very good job of lane hogging bikers stay off the lane. I did not use any relay for this horn.
Old 11th April 2017, 16:06   #1592
BHPian

Can someone please advise me if Relay is necessary for Hella Pearl Trumpet Horn Set (picture)

I intend to replace Brio stock horn as it showing age and fails to serve purpose.
Old 11th April 2017, 23:48   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Can someone please advise me if Relay is necessary for Hella Pearl Trumpet Horn Set (picture)

I intend to replace Brio stock horn as it showing age and fails to serve purpose.
I have used them on my Punto and they didn't require a relay.

But I would suggest you to go for Hella Chrome trumpet. It's bit expensive than Black Pearl, but the difference is pretty remarkable. Also Black Pearl went kaput in a year and chrome is working fine for more than 2 years now.
Old 12th April 2017, 00:25   #1594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please advise me if Relay is necessary for Hella Pearl Trumpet Horn Set (picture).
The thumb-rule is - If your car already has two-unit horn set, then you can directly replace them with the new 2-unit set. However if your car has a single unit, but you have got a dual unit type, then you need a relay.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 05:08   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The thumb-rule is - If your car already has two-unit horn set, then you can directly replace them with the new 2-unit set. However if your car has a single unit, but you have got a dual unit type, then you need a relay.
Thanks much for your reply.

Brio top end comes with dual setup but mine isnt top end, does that mean (usually) they will have different ways of wiring for horns across variants ?

My car is out of warranty so I am not hell-bent to avoid relay though.
Old 12th April 2017, 06:56   #1596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brio top end comes with dual setup but mine isnt top end, does that mean (usually) they will have different ways of wiring for horns across variants ?.
I am not sure how the wiring is in the Brio, but adding a relay is a simple procedure. Check if the Honda ASS itself could it for you - or a good FNG.
Old 12th April 2017, 12:12   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Open and check the fuse box in the engine compartment. If there is a horn relay and fuse it will be marked on the lid. If you don't see one in either engine compartment or in-cabin fuse box then it is safe to assume that your vehicle doesn't have a horn relay or fuse.

If you do find a horn relay or fuse and you can go ahead and swap out the OE horns with something more powerful. Just keep the total draw within what the fuse is rated for.

If no relay or fuse, its wise to add one before upgrading horns with higher current requirement.
Old 14th April 2017, 10:09   #1598
BHPian

Guys, I have a question. Between the Bosch Symphony and the Hella TwinTone Chrome, What would you guys recommend? Why I'm asking is the Symphony costs around 800 bucks and the chrome is around 1600 bucks. Is it worth paying the premium?
Old 14th April 2017, 13:01   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard1955 View Post
Guys, I have a question. Between the Bosch Symphony and the Hella TwinTone Chrome, What would you guys recommend? Why I'm asking is the Symphony costs around 800 bucks and the chrome is around 1600 bucks. Is it worth paying the premium?
Hella chrome is definitely better in terms of sound and durability. You can get it from Amazon for Rs 1048/- instead of Rs 1600/-.
Old 24th April 2017, 00:42   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I do not know what horns come fitted as stock on Mahindra vehicles but if your stock horns consume less current than the red grills, install a relay. See below the current draw for some aftermarket horns. All values are for a single piece, not pair.

Hella Supertone Red Grill: 5.5 Amps
Hella Spice Tone: 3.5 Amps
Roots Vibrosonic: 4 Amps
Roots Megasonic: 4 Amps
Roots Windtone: 5 Amps

Yes, that is right. The smaller Hella Supertone draws more current than the larger and louder Roots Megasonic.
I had asked my query long back, and then got the OEM type Hella S90 replaced at MMASS itself, posted here. Last year also I remember one horn was changed at MMASS, all working fine yet.

Now I intend to replace with "Hella Red Grill" in my MM Xylo. As per the user manual, a 15A fuse for Horn is installed, same referred in Scorpio's manual too. Do you think a relay (as supplied in that box) and wiring will still be required ?

thanks & regards,
Pranav
Old 24th April 2017, 20:14   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I had asked my query long back, and then got the OEM type Hella S90 replaced at MMASS itself, posted here. Last year also I remember one horn was changed at MMASS, all working fine yet.

Now I intend to replace with "Hella Red Grill" in my MM Xylo. As per the user manual, a 15A fuse for Horn is installed, same referred in Scorpio's manual too. Do you think a relay (as supplied in that box) and wiring will still be required ?

thanks & regards,
Pranav
If I am not mistaken, the stock horns would draw anywhere from 2 to 4 amps a piece. Given that the Supertone or Red Grill horns draw 5.5 to 6 amps a piece, it might be safer to add a relay with direct feed from the battery. My Swift had a pair of Hella OEM horns as stock. I installed a relay with separate wiring (DIY) to be safe.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:16   #1602
BHPian

Hi,

finally, over the weekend, got the Hella Super Tone Red Grill horns installed in my Xylo.

Part# : 3AG 003 399-801
MRP is Rs.1602, and I got it for Rs.1450 from my acquainted auto shop in my area. The Hella box comes with two horns (hi & low), a Relay, two metal strips for mounting, and a 6 month warranty card.

On the regular online shopping portals, I saw high price variations.

I asked the shop guy, if he had horn wiring set, and he did have one, which was from probably from a lesser known brand (quality seems reasonable), along with its Relay, price was Rs.350. From that wiring set, I removed its local make Relay (kept as spare in my kit), and plugged the Hella Relay which came in the horn box, purely from a reliability perspective of a reputed brand. The old horns will be kept in spare for now.

The existing horns in Xylo were Hella S90 (hi & low units). The technician said that any additional fuse isnt required, and relay is enough. The installation was done neatly, with some adjustments in the mounting brackets.

Oh boy, the horns are surely loud. LOUD (in caps!). Since two days I think I've been honking a bit more ))

some pictures :
Power Horns!-img_20170429_170910.jpg
Power Horns!-img_20170429_170913.jpg

2 horns, 2 metal mounting strips, 1 Relay, 1 6mt warranty card:
Power Horns!-img_20170429_170930.jpg

local make horn wiring harness with local relay:
Power Horns!-img_20170429_170934.jpg
Power Horns!-img_20170429_172518.jpg
Power Horns!-img_20170429_172520.jpg

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 2nd May 2017 at 20:17.
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 22:05   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Oh boy, the horns are surely loud. LOUD (in caps!). Since two days I think I've been honking a bit more ))
Dear pcpranav,

Congratulations on your new horns. The pictures speak the volume. I could hear them till here.

On a side note, just a humble request to avoid honking as far as possible. Thanks.

Cheers and wish you happy and safe driving!
Simmi

Last edited by Nohonking : 2nd May 2017 at 22:19.
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:04   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
On a side note, just a humble request to avoid honking as far as possible. Thanks.
yes yes. in most cases I avoid honking. these loud horn will be helpful on my long trips - highways & interiors.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 08:59   #1605
BHPian

I had purchased Bosch Symphony 2 months back for Rs 650 from authorized dealer in Moti Nagar. The lady mentioned that I will get warranty only if I get it installed from them.Charge for installation - Rs 250. Two years back got the same horn and also got it installed from them. They did a shady job and I had to get it re-installed from outside within few days. So this time I avoided getting the installation done from them.

So this new horn started acting up. I went to Car Plus to get it checked, the mechanic mentioned there seems to be a problem with the horn and it does not look like original Bosch. So I asked what horns do they have available with them. I personally love the sound of Bosch Symphony which they do not keep in stock nor do they keep Hella. They offered me a horn of brand Osin which personally I have never heard before and did not see anything about it online. Price of Osin Rs 1750! As I had to get a horn fixed and the mechanic had already opened up the headlight and grill I went ahead as per their suggestion. The guy mentioned it is similar sounding to Creta's horn which I didn't feel like it is. They gave me a warranty of one year, mentioned the date on the horn, changed my old relay with new Hella.
Power Horns!-img_3281.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks