Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2006, 18:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Power Horns!

hey Guys ...!

Need some inputs in fixing a new horn n a loud one..... will work as secondary horn to the original one with a separate switch...
did some research and found many the one i liked is below...it produces about 139dB...nautillus series
it is for sale on ebay at 900rs+..

IMPORTED COMPACT TWIN TONE NAUTILUS AIR HORNS

* To sample the Nautilus horn visit the stebel website at http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index.htm
* Made in Italy.
* Loudest air horns in the world.
* The Nautilus TWIN TONE Air horns features compact space saving engineering that no other twin tone air horn in the world can offer.
* It's very fast and easy to install because it requires only ONE fixing point. No air tubes are required. The product is very practical & easy to install like an electric horn, yet features the power, reliability & uniquely pleasent tone of an air horn.
* The excellent sound output of approx 139 decibels ! Is INSTANT thanks to a perfectly balanced air jet system. The air intake has a patented system that gives a pleasant High and Low tone with surprising power.
* It combines the advantages of a electromagnetic horn with the nostalgia of an air horn.
* The design is ideal for cars trucks and buses and is perfect for openly visible installations on Motorcycles...
* 12Volts
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2006, 18:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you read the last few pages you'd realize that there's enough importance given to a Relay when changing the OEM horn. What is a relay you ask?

Power Horns!-relay.jpg
Source - Hella catalogue

A lot of new cars come with a relay but we've also been told that the OEM relay might not be enough for loud aftermarket horns.

I asked fellow bhpians about the relay rating in my Celerio and found out that its rated at 12A, which means a twin horn with 6 ampere (A) rating can easily be used with it.

Then I looked up what Minda, Roots or Hella primarily offer in India and realized that all the horns they offer can easily be used in my Celerio without replacing the OEM relay.

Example

Minda
Power Horns!-minda.jpg

Roots
Power Horns!-roots.jpg
Hella
Power Horns!-hella.jpg

These show the current rating and one can easily decide whether to replace the OEM relay or not. Hella didn't show the ampere rating and that's when I had to google and found a formula P (Power in watts) = I (Current in ampere) x V (Voltage in volts) which many might know of already but I didn't.

Bottomline

If your twin horns are rated at 6A each (or less) then the OEM 12A relay is adequate.

If your twin horns are rated at 72 watts each (current rating is not available) and 12 volts (Car battery voltage), then it basically means that they are rated at 6A in current lingo (refer above formula).

In the entire catalogue of Roots, Minda or Hella, there wasn't a single horn (trumpet or disc type) which was rated higher than 72w or 6A, I guess there's an industry standard after all, except for air horns.

This meant that I could purchase any of these without getting an additional relay for my Celerio.

So go figure the relay rating from the fuse/relay diagram or check it physically as bhpian @audioholic told me that it was printed on the relay itself in case of Celerio.

I had almost bought Roots Megasonics but cancelled the purchase since I didn't know Celerio's horn relay rating. This weekend though, I'm getting Roots Megasonics

All catalogues attached
Hella.pdf
Roots.pdf
Minda.pdf

Last edited by GTO : 3rd November 2016 at 09:41. Reason: Moving your post to the first page of the thread
fine69 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2006, 18:27   #3
BANNED

The Nautilius is damn good. I installed it with a switch as my secondary horn, and it's the best investment ever when it comes to dealing with ricks, bikes, idiot pedestrians and anyone with their window rolled down. Cost me around Rs. 700-750 from this Sardar in Malad, next to In Orbit mall.

Btw, it's a great horn, but the 139 decibels is only if you jam your ear next to it. At about 6-8 feet, it's around 120 db I think. Still, that's enough to blow the pillion off most unsuspecting bikes!
Boom Shiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2006, 18:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

[SIZE=2]I thought these horns were banned!!! i had hella's(dont remmember the model number but were bloody loud) in my alto and one cop promptly requested me to change it and I did.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Air horns im sure arent permitted.[/SIZE]
Old 13th January 2006, 18:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

The airhorns are loud and banned except for use on highways.. but i am using hella redgrill and they are loud and do the dirty work of moving the vehicles out of the way effectively..

Last edited by Godfather : 13th January 2006 at 18:49.
Old 13th January 2006, 19:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
The Nautilius is damn good. I installed it with a switch as my secondary horn, and it's the best investment ever when it comes to dealing with ricks, bikes, idiot pedestrians and anyone with their window rolled down. Cost me around Rs. 700-750 from this Sardar in Malad, next to In Orbit mall.

Btw, it's a great horn, but the 139 decibels is only if you jam your ear next to it. At about 6-8 feet, it's around 120 db I think. Still, that's enough to blow the pillion off most unsuspecting bikes!
where in bangalore/chennai can i get this? in Chennai you definitely need one though honking is very irritating but sometimes i have no choice... ppl r deaf... stone deaf.... and yeah what would it cost approx?
Old 13th January 2006, 19:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

aditya... your esteem now makes enough sound to scare the living daylights out of anybody... why would you need a horn.. just rev to 5000 rpm...hehehe
Godfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2006, 19:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
aditya... your esteem now makes enough sound to scare the living daylights out of anybody... why would you need a horn.. just rev to 5000 rpm...hehehe
hahaha... yeah dude... ur right... i cant help laughing when ppl jump outta their skins wen i rev the car....
Old 13th January 2006, 19:51   #9
cnu
BHPian

Guys, please don't add to noise pollution by using those loud horns. It just feels irritated for many when these loud horns are blown. And yes, they are banned on the city roads as well.

Last edited by cnu : 13th January 2006 at 19:56.
cnu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2006, 19:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
hey Guys ...!

IMPORTED COMPACT TWIN TONE NAUTILUS AIR HORNS

* To sample the Nautilus horn visit the stebel website at http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index.htm
Thanks kpzen !! I just had tons of fun in the office by playing the sounds from the website & almost knocking people off their Chairs !!
paharino1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2006, 20:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1
Thanks kpzen !! I just had tons of fun in the office by playing the sounds from the website & almost knocking people off their Chairs !!
hee hee hee hee me too . Nice website that, tried every single horn out there.
Old 13th January 2006, 21:31   #12
BHPian

Air Horns are really bad for air pollution. And as responsible citizens and TBHP members we should set an example by not doing so.
BTW air horns are banned and you might be fined if caught using.
Old 13th January 2006, 23:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit1329
Air Horns are really bad for air pollution. And as responsible citizens and TBHP members we should set an example by not doing so.
BTW air horns are banned and you might be fined if caught using.

But i dont intend to use with proper disciplined traffic around...its only to blow away the irritating jam makers away....thats why i mentioned the secondary switch and its not a replacement of stock horn..

paharino1: u had fun n i hope they dont knock u off the office itself..

cnu: i think there are more guys with their car audio going BOOM BOOM than with their horns... my purpose has been mentioned above

Boom Shiva: Can u find me dealer in delhi through your source...pls
Old 13th January 2006, 23:13   #14
BANNED

[SIZE=2]Sorry bro, I don't know anyone in Delhi. I guess you could try the auto shops. Can anyone who lives in Delhi help out?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I don't like loud horns either, but sometimes you really don't have a choice in Bombay, especially with bikes and ricks. That's why I have a switch, and I only use the airhorn when I feel I don't have a choice.[/SIZE]
Old 14th January 2006, 02:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

Try FIAMM horns. I use a pair in my Zen and they serve the purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks