Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 09:36   #1666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
He said since Roots Megasonic is 12V & 4 Amps, relay is not needed, He's used the same OE relay for roots also, OE horn relay is working now for both sets of horns.
Since your car is in warranty I hope this electrician has not spliced or cut the factory wiring harness? And you are absolutely sure the connection is via the factory relay. That said, it's ok to use the OEM relay as only 1 set of horns are operative at a time. The factory horns are probably about 3 A each.

Also, no matter what he says you must install relays for dual horn set ups especially for those high power aftermarket models.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 11:15   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Since your car is in warranty I hope this electrician has not spliced or cut the factory wiring harness? And you are absolutely sure the connection is via the factory relay. That said, it's ok to use the OEM relay as only 1 set of horns are operative at a time. The factory horns are probably about 3 A each.

Also, no matter what he says you must install relays for dual horn set ups especially for those high power aftermarket models.
Thanks for the info,

Just for peace of mind, I took a second opinion from a different auto electrician,
He checked & confirmed that Roots horn connection has been taken from the OE relay itself, He was also pretty sure that it was safe & asked me to not worry about it as at any given time, only one pair of horns will work (just like you said)

Once again, Thanks for the clarification.
Old 16th October 2018, 17:00   #1668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
He checked & confirmed that Roots horn connection has been taken from the OE relay itself, He was also pretty sure that it was safe & asked me to not worry about it as at any given time, only one pair of horns will work (just like you said)
That's encouraging. Since you went to another electrician can you please have him check the method used to join extra wires to the relay and if they are properly insulated. He needs to use connectors and if possible heat shrink for insulation instead of plain old insulation tape.

I'd advise this only to prevent any chances of a short or a fire hazard in the future. Remember, factory harness wires are well insulated using heat resistant materials and use only proper connectors to join different wires.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 18:16   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
That's encouraging. Since you went to another electrician can you please have him check the method used to join extra wires to the relay and if they are properly insulated. He needs to use connectors and if possible heat shrink for insulation instead of plain old insulation tape.

I'd advise this only to prevent any chances of a short or a fire hazard in the future. Remember, factory harness wires are well insulated using heat resistant materials and use only proper connectors to join different wires.
Noted with thanks

Will check with him again
Old 21st November 2018, 09:03   #1670
BHPian

Did a DIY replacement of the stock hella horns with a pair of Hella chrome trumpets on my S-Cross. Fixing them was almost plug and play. I say almost because the stock wires fell short by a cm or two and had to create an extension for the horn behind the grill(see pic). The other horn sits under the left HL cluster. The pair sounds really nice and quite loud too. But once you put the bumper back they lose the finesse(loudness is still good). The low frequency horn is inside the bumper in my case and it sounds like it is inside an earthen pot.
I did have the hella relay with wiring harness but the stock connection is rated at 15A(thanks to bhpian sudeepg) and hellas are 5-6A so decided not to use it.

Power Horns!-24bbf270e5bf4a9a8149e8861b43ae41.jpeg
jaunthead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 10:26   #1671
BHPian

I feel for the stance of RE Thunderbird, the stock single horn provide nil justice. Has anyone felt the same and changed it to duals?
Old 27th November 2018, 15:04   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
Did a DIY replacement of the stock hella horns with a pair of Hella chrome trumpets on my S-Cross. Fixing them was almost plug and play.
I have gone with the same option of Hella Chrome Trumpet for my 4th Gen Honda City and just wrote about it in detail here : (Review: Hella Chrome Trumpet Horn Set)
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 18:39   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Hella Chromes are definitely among the loudest and sharpest @ 112 dB in trumpet types and at the same time are probably the most expensive.

You should definitely fit a relay if yours is a single horn vehicle. Or, if your factory fitted dual horn system consumes less than 5A each.

Fit an auxiliary harness for best performance. These consume 5 A each. Most factory horns are 2-4 A.

Could you explain how and where the relay should be fit? (where the single horn wire splits into two, right?)

My single horn car's (Gi10) wire was split into two, to install a Minda Trumpet. This horn lasted for about 3-4 years. However, in the past 1 year, I'm currently on my third horn- which is also about to go kaput. All of them start sounding hoarse/ only one rings in 3-4 months.

Horns are- Hella Blue Sapphire x 2 (second replaced under warranty) and currently on a Bosch Symphony- about to go bad.

The two shops I've been to, refuse to change the wiring, even when I insist (probably too cumbersome), but are happy to change my horn FOC within six months, blaming it on quality issues.

However, this time around, I am determined to get it fixed properly and seeking help on the forum accordingly.

( I honk only when overtaking on highway and on highway intersections for not more than 1second.)
Old 7th December 2018, 09:37   #1674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Could you explain how and where the relay should be fit? (where the single horn wire splits into two, right?)
The 4 pole relay should be fitted as follows:

a) One pole/terminal of the relay to the battery via a fused link
b) One to the trigger i.e. the horn button wire that is/was connected to the factory horns
c) One to earth/chassis
d) One to the load/horns

You will need to check the relay for the terminal numbering and connect accordingly. The PDF attached to this post should help. Power horns (Power Horns!)

Quote:
Horns are- Hella Blue Saphire x 2 (second replaced under warranty) and currently on a Bosch Symphony- about to go bad.
I am not sure why the horns go bad. It could be due to a variety of factors including manufacturing defects, placement in the engine bay, among others.

Quote:
The two shops I've been to, refuse to change the wiring, even when I insist (probably too cumbersome), but are happy to change my horn FOC within six months, blaming it on quality issues.
I suggest you use a aftermarket harness like this one: Hella Horn harness

You may need an automobile electricians help to install it. Keep in mind the PDF I recommended you read has instructions on wiring the harness depending on the type of horn system i.e. positive switch or negative/chassis switch. The electrician will need to make a small modification if the car has a positive switched signal.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th December 2018 at 09:39.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:00   #1675
BHPian

Quote:

You may need an automobile electricians help to install it. Keep in mind the PDF I recommended you read has instructions on wiring the harness depending on the type of horn system i.e. positive switch or negative/chassis switch. The electrician will need to make a small modification if the car has a positive switched signal.

Thanks a lot! However, I am not keen on using a 4 pole relay because I don't want a separate wire going to the battery. Is there any other type of relay ? If not, I'll just get the horn wiring and connectors changed and see how it goes.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:32   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Thanks a lot! However, I am not keen on using a 4 pole relay because I don't want a separate wire going to the battery. Is there any other type of relay ? If not, I'll just get the horn wiring and connectors changed and see how it goes.
You get a 3 pole relay as well. But a connection from battery to relay via a fused link is mandatory in both cases. Do not connect to the battery without a 20 or 30 A inline fuse.
Old 30th December 2018, 14:50   #1677
BANNED

Which one is better: Bosch Symphony or Roots Windtone
Old 31st December 2018, 12:36   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Which one is better: Bosch Symphony or Roots Windtone
In my experience Roots windtone is better than Bosch. Bosch horns tend to go kaput in just one year. if you are open to selection do give Hella blue sapphire a try.
sonil.luthra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:22   #1679
BHPian

I came across this thread and found it very informative for upgrading the horns and the Do's and Dont's. But I am bit late I believe.

Last week I did an upgrade of horns of my grand I10 to Roots windtone horn. The horn sounds great but the electrician has spliced the original wire to make connection for the new horns

As I understand, this will void my warranty (My car is just 2 months old and I've warranty of 5 Yrs) and potential risk of damage, what should I do now ? Should I switch back to the original stock horn but again I may need to replace the wires which was spliced by the electrician. Not sure how much it'll cost and how complex it'll be to change the wires. Any other advise you guys have ?
Old 24th January 2019, 11:46   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
I came across this thread and found it very informative for upgrading the horns and the Do's and Dont's. But I am bit late I believe.

Last week I did an upgrade of horns of my grand I10 to Roots windtone horn. The horn sounds great but the electrician has spliced the original wire to make connection for the new horns

As I understand, this will void my warranty (My car is just 2 months old and I've warranty of 5 Yrs) and potential risk of damage, what should I do now ? Should I switch back to the original stock horn but again I may need to replace the wires which was spliced by the electrician. Not sure how much it'll cost and how complex it'll be to change the wires. Any other advise you guys have ?
Hi, can you please post some pictures? I am planning to upgrade on my Grand i10. My verna was straight forward as it comes with 2 factory fitted horn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks