Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 15:01   #1546
Senior - BHPian

re: Power Horns!

Stebel Nautilus is available on ebay. in for 1750 and I'm going to get one soon. Anyone else that may have got one recently please give your feedback.
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:24   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Guy's I'm getting the Bosch Symphony Fanfare horn for my Verna.

I just wanted to know if it's necessary to install a relay for these horns ?

On the website some guy's told it was not necessary to install the relay, but even if I do install the relay will it enhance the sound of the horn or help improve it's life ?
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:28   #1548
BHPian

I recently went for Hella Red Grill Supertones and the accessories shop guy told me that a relay is required to max out the horn else it would not work at full capacity. The product came with a relay in the box.
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:03   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
I recently went for Hella Red Grill Supertones and the accessories shop guy told me that a relay is required to max out the horn else it would not work at full capacity. The product came with a relay in the box.
The current drawn by Hellas is much more than the stock horns.
While most accessories guys would fool customers by saying that new cars comes with inbuilt relay for horns(which is true), but they won't tell/know themselves that the stock relay is selected wrt requirements of stock horn.

You MUST always install an additional relay for power horns. The good part with Hella Red Grills is that they come with a relay in the box.

I had to purchase a separate Hella relay(sourced from another Hella Red Grill's box by the shopkeeper) for installing my Roots Megasonics.
The shopkeeper sold it to me at a price of Rs.150. So, if the shopkeeper dissuades another buyer in installing Red Grills w/o relay, he is going to save on his manpower and make some additional moolah by selling the relay to other aware customers.
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:32   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
Red Grill Super tones is more powerful, so it definitely needs a relay. The symphony fanfare is Bosch's basic model so it's much less powerful hence not sure still about the relay for it.
Old 3rd April 2016, 23:15   #1551
Team-BHP Support

I am thinking to add a megasonic in my S10. Would it require a relay? The electrician told me it has a relay but will a separate relay be required for an additional horn?

This is to be used on highways where dumb (deaf) won't hear you coming & flashing too doesn't help.
Old 4th April 2016, 11:49   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am thinking to add a megasonic in my S10. Would it require a relay? The electrician told me it has a relay but will a separate relay be required for an additional horn?

This is to be used on highways where dumb (deaf) won't hear you coming & flashing too doesn't help.
any aftermarket horn deserves a relay. usually the roots dealer will sell a relay along with it which should be enough.

When you say "it has a relay" - What has ? The car has a stock relay, but thats enough only for the stock horn.

also, I am not sure it will fit internally - didnt fit my indica, so had to downgrade to a vibrosonic - else you'll have to fit brackets and fit them like foglights
Old 6th April 2016, 18:39   #1553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
When you say "it has a relay" - What has ? The car has a stock relay, but thats enough only for the stock horn.

also, I am not sure it will fit internally - didnt fit my indica, so had to downgrade to a vibrosonic - else you'll have to fit brackets and fit them like foglights
Yes, the Scorpio's OE relay and as per few electricians, it is good enough for Red Grills, even the shop keeper said so [he would earn something or the other selling me a relay, no..?]

I will have to see on that as I don't want megasonics to be visible outside, will surely have to check on that.
Old 6th April 2016, 19:19   #1554
Senior - BHPian

it can be made to fit on the firewall, but that will compromise its sound output - you'll be the one hearing the majority of its output, not the intended audience. Ideally it should go somewhere behind the bumper
Old 20th April 2016, 12:27   #1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Guy's I'm getting the Bosch Symphony Fanfare horn for my Verna.

I just wanted to know if it's necessary to install a relay for these horns ?

On the website some guy's told it was not necessary to install the relay, but even if I do install the relay will it enhance the sound of the horn or help improve it's life ?
I own Verna too and I have had the same question in my mind. A friend of mine who is a technician as well suggested me to go along with relay, it is always safe to install the horns along with relay, let the stock units remain untouched.

To add to that, avoid switch that helps to swap between stock and aftermarket horn, because you may have to cut the factory wire for such installation.

I'll be installing one in a week time.
Old 1st May 2016, 07:39   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hprmodern View Post
I own Verna too and I have had the same question in my mind. A friend of mine who is a technician as well suggested me to go along with relay, it is always safe to install the horns along with relay, let the stock units remain untouched.

To add to that, avoid switch that helps to swap between stock and aftermarket horn, because you may have to cut the factory wire for such installation.

I'll be installing one in a week time.
I installed mine last week. It was simple DIY, only issue was removing the bumpers last screw under the wheel well.

I found that I already had a relay installed for my old horn so it was simple plug and play job.

Bosch say's that this horn works without the relay but on research I found that there is no harm in installing a relay and might sometime be better too.

The horn sound's good and it costed only 500 bucks
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 10:02   #1557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I installed mine last week. It was simple DIY, only issue was removing the bumpers last screw under the wheel well.

I found that I already had a relay installed for my old horn so it was simple plug and play job.

Bosch say's that this horn works without the relay but on research I found that there is no harm in installing a relay and might sometime be better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yes, the Scorpio's OE relay and as per few electricians, it is good enough for Red Grills, even the shop keeper said so [he would earn something or the other selling me a relay, no..?]
I am afraid it is not that simple. Each factory fitted relay (and wiring) is sized for the OEM horns. If your horn instructions specify using a relay then you must fit one.

Powerful after market horns like the Red Grills draw around 2x more (at approx 5.5A/66W each) than the power of the originals. Don't take this lightly. Red Grills come with a relay in the box and it must be used along with the correct wire size (2.5 or better still 4 sq. mm should be fine). Keep in mind shop keepers aren't really interested in your car's electrical safety.
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:59   #1558
BHPian

Installed the Hella Supertones (Red Grill) in my ecosport. The original dual horn OEM setup also had the relay, however their rated power was 33W and Hella runs at twice that power. Even my trusted shopkeeper told me that relay is not required, but when I said that I have read it on Team-BHP that its required, he installed the original Hella supplied one's without making a fuss, citing that folks here know more.

Its one heck of a horn, very sharp and loud, is loud even inside
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:20   #1559
BHPian

What are the legal limitations in terms of decibels for a horn in Bangalore city? Has anyone been pulled up by the authorities for a loud sounding horn?

If I recall it correctly, all types of Air Horns were banned in Coimbatore wayback in 2005 which was a boon since all the private moffusil buses were equipped with all kinds of loud sounding air horns to push away any motorists who came in their path.
Old 24th May 2016, 17:44   #1560
BHPian

What is the ampere rating of horns in Honda Brio? Is there any better horns with same ampere rating for Brio? I do not want relay setup, so do not prefer high ampere horns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks