Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 20:37   #3481
SAS
BHPian

Re: oil for alto.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan5678 View Post
Hello Friends,
I have a 2008 maruti alto done 55000kms,i have a query ,for all these years i have been using 10w 40 oil from shell,but maruti recommended is 20w40 ,should i use 20w 40 since its done 50000 kms or can i use 10w 40 semi synth from shell .thank you ..awaiting replies
You can easily use 10w40 semi synth oil. The key thing to keep in mind is the upper weight rating, which is 40. So by using this oil, you should get better lubrication when your engine starts from cold, since it is marginally thinner, plus get good lubrication when the engine warms up.

I have used 15w40 mineral oil, albeit a good quality grade of API SJ without problems in my Alto.

Also since you're in Bangalore, you wouldn't experience very hot summers like those faced in Mumbai, Delhi or other regions.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:15   #3482
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I'm a noob about these oil stuff and know only the basics. For both my cars, ie Sx4 and wagonr k10, MSIL recommends 5W-30 oil of SG+ and two other grades in the manual. Though 10w40 is also present in the list of oils recommended, 5w30 is marked as preferred. Is not the upper number of 30 a tad less for our conditions? Leaving FE apart, will it be fine if I switch to 10W40? Why I say this because I am worried about the viscosity of the oil on prolonged highway drives where the engine will be exposed to high temperatures.

Hence, I am planning to switch to 10w40 and my sx4 is going in for an oil change tomorrow. So I wanted to ask other members whether I must stick to 5w30 or change to 10w40. I dont mind a slight drop in FE if the engine can get better lubrication.

Regarding lubrication in cold conditions, we practice keeping the revvs low until the engine warms up. So the lower number wouldnt be an issue. And also synthetic is not preferred since due to very less running, we change the engine oil once in 9-10 months, covering around 3-5k kms between changes. So we will change oil more frequently comapred to leaving the same oil for a longer time.

Any advise is welcome and thanks in advance.
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:40   #3483
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I'm a noob about these oil stuff and know only the basics. For both my cars, ie Sx4 and wagonr k10, MSIL recommends 5W-30 oil of SG+ and two other grades in the manual. Though 10w40 is also present in the list of oils recommended, 5w30 is marked as preferred. Is not the upper number of 30 a tad less for our conditions?
See my post (and Gansan's expansion of that) a few pages earlier. Most modern engines are happy with 0W30 or 5W30. So you need not worry. I am using 0W30 in my Civic and 10W40 in my Santro (older engine). 0 or 5W should be Ok in our conditions unless you live in Ladakh when I will say go for 0W...
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:11   #3484
Distinguished - BHPian

Filled 4.2l of castrol magnatec 10W40 into the car along with replacement of oil filter. Oil costed Rs. 1350 for four liter can + Rs. 160 for half liter container. I took this plunge after referring to the chart in the manual. There were slight vibrations and a coarser engine sound which has vanished now. The last oil change was done nine months and 4k kms back.
Old 27th June 2012, 00:43   #3485
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used engine oil from OWS? Any experiences!
Old 27th June 2012, 05:11   #3486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Has anyone used engine oil from OWS? Any experiences!
You must be new here. Just kidding.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nt-change.html
Anyways, team-bhp is filled with OWS fans. They make great products and are marketed in India by Speedworks.
http://www.speedworks.in/ContactUs.aspx

Try out their 5W50, if its for your cedia.

Cheers
Old 27th June 2012, 11:03   #3487
Senior - BHPian

I have purchased a 3 litre can of Helix HX5 for the 36 month service of my car which falls due tomorrow, for ~ Rs 750.00. I feel this is the most appropriate oil for my kind of use (<5K KM a year), and I can discard the used oil at the stroke of 12 months without a second thought.

My car has been running on this oil right from the first service and I find it to be quite good.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:50   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Would engine oil degrade faster if I always park the car outdoors in the hot sun? If yes, would synthetic oil degrade slower than mineral oil?
Old 27th June 2012, 12:09   #3489
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that parking a car in the shade or in the sun would have any impact on the rate of degradation of the engine oil.

Secondly, it is not necessary that a synthetic oil would degrade slower than a mineral oil because as of today, most synthetics are actually nothing more than highly refined petroleum base stocks fortified with detergents, additives etc. Case in point is Mobil 1 (except probably 0W40, but even that's not entirely Group IV), Shell Helix Ultra & Castrol Edge, the three "synthetic" oils that are probably most easily available in India.
So, these may have a slightly better (slower) rate of degradation but then the bottom-line is that they are still only highly refined petroleum oils with additive packs & it is primarily these additive packs that degenerate over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Would engine oil degrade faster if I always park the car outdoors in the hot sun? If yes, would synthetic oil degrade slower than mineral oil?
@GANSAN: HX5 is one of the most VFM products out there in the market for petrol engines, great choice I would say.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 27th June 2012 at 12:10.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:45   #3490
Senior - BHPian

The OWS thread is full of references to their vitamins etc. and the feedbacks too are more than an year old, so looking for relevant & current updates. Cedia is happy with Motul Xcess 8100, it is the Swift that's looking for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Anyways, team-bhp is filled with OWS fans. They make great products and are marketed in India by Speedworks.
Old 27th June 2012, 16:50   #3491
Senior - BHPian

hey there,

From where do you usually purchase the XCess 5W40 from? And how much does it cost? I believe it comes in 5 ltr cans. And I think you have also used the Edge earlier, so what in your opinion is the difference between the two oils or between 8100 & any other synthetic that you may have used.

Quote:
Cedia is happy with Motul Xcess 8100, it is the Swift that's looking for a change.
Guys, apart from Delvac 1, is there any other diesel specific engine oil available in India that's either a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic & is of the grade 5W40 or 10W40?
Old 27th June 2012, 18:07   #3492
Senior - BHPian

From the Mitsubishi service center @ approximately 1K to a liter. It comes in 1 liter packaging too(only in the retail market). The 5 liter pack is there as that is the volume required for Pajero & Montero's diesel engines. I have never used Edge but recommended it to another Cedizen albeit with a caution to use it as long as it was not made or repackaged in the local Castrol facilities. Apart from Motul have used Shell Helix Ultra & Mobil 1 and in my books the standing is Shell >> Motul >> Mobil1.

The Motul Xcess 8100 as is obvious from above is suitable for both diesel & gasoline engine, though not diesel specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
hey there,

From where do you usually purchase the XCess 5W40 from? And how much does it cost? I believe it comes in 5 ltr cans. And I think you have also used the Edge earlier, so what in your opinion is the difference between the two oils or between 8100 & any other synthetic that you may have used.

Guys, apart from Delvac 1, is there any other diesel specific engine oil available in India that's either a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic & is of the grade 5W40 or 10W40?
Old 27th June 2012, 22:03   #3493
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity, if you rate Shell Helix Ultra better/higher than the Motul, why is it that your Cedia is running the Motul & not Shell?
Is it because the Mitsubishi SCs do not carry the Shell oil?

Quote:
Apart from Motul have used Shell Helix Ultra & Mobil 1 and in my books the standing is Shell >> Motul >> Mobil1.
Old 27th June 2012, 23:12   #3494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Just out of curiosity, if you rate Shell Helix Ultra better/higher than the Motul, why is it that your Cedia is running the Motul & not Shell? Is it because the Mitsubishi SCs do not carry the Shell oil?
I was looking at this hard myself and IMO Mobil 1 is better than Shell HU. So I think it is in ascending not descending order...though it is not immediately clear due to the use of the '>' which gives the impression of the mathematical expression 'greater than'.

But if it is in ascending order, then it brings up the question why he doesn't use Mobil 1 May be because of factors like availability and the rather offbeat 0w-40 viscosity offered by Mobil in India. I wish they offered one of the following - 5W-40/5W-30/10W-30. These are more mainstream viscosities.

Khoj will clarify I guess.
Old 28th June 2012, 00:37   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Cedia is still under warranty so is on prescribed diet. As for the ranking, it is my personal observation on my cars.

I would gladly change everything to Shell but the problem is with the availability of stock in Dilli, Motul is even worse in terms of availability. Mobil 1 somehow does not find favour with me, no particular reason but I somehow just do not like the brand and it did wear out the most. Anyhow after having toyed with and now having rejected the idea of OWS, I have decided to try out Petronas. Not only is it easily available but also coming out of the Petronas's mother blending plant in Malaysia and is a quality product which to me is a cost effective alternate to Motul(my no.2 choice) unless my observations prove otherwise.

PS : I just might try out Castrol's Edge, if I can get the made in England packs with a manufacturing date within a cut off period of 6 months from date. Will go to Pallika Bhawan later this weekend and try to get a good deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks