Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2018, 10:19   #4981
BHPian
 
Rshrey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 277
Thanked: 451 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My god what directions these are. And is this an actual shop or what, considering he's selling at around 50% of MRP? That is not even wholesaler rate I suppose.

Is this Pammi Uncle well regarded in the local car parts market?
Well, that's how it is. Karam pura area near moti nagar is a hub for car servicing works, there are workshops for denting/painting, washing, ac services, bumper repairs, and general services in a cluster. Whoever wants their car serviced on a budget, can go there. Pammi uncle's shop is in the middle of all the workshops. He sells parts for cars and related stuff, it's a proper shop, if I go there again someday, I will surely post pics here.

And the rates are for servicing are also quite good, My car's engine oil, gear oil were changed, brakes were cleaned, brake fluid topped up, spark plugs cleaned and filters replaced all for Rs.400/- (excluding parts cost of course).

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 28th July 2018 at 10:48.
Rshrey22 is offline  
Old 28th July 2018, 11:44   #4982
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Well, that's how it is. Karam pura area near moti nagar is a hub for car servicing works, there are workshops for denting/painting, washing, ac services.
Yes the thing is, I haven't seen Mobil 1 available at such cheap rates in GP Road which is the Chennai equivalent of Karampura
hserus is offline  
Old 28th July 2018, 12:44   #4983
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,953
Thanked: 4,418 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I truly hope that the to-good-to-be true discounted synthetic oil cans aren't a hoax or non-genuine oil.

Please be careful where you buy the oil from. Better to pay more at a trusted dealer for the assurance you're buying the real thing. It's your engine at stake.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 12:49   #4984
BHPian
 
Rshrey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 277
Thanked: 451 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I truly hope that the to-good-to-be true discounted synthetic oil cans aren't a hoax or non-genuine oil.

Please be careful where you buy the oil from. Better to pay more at a trusted dealer for the assurance you're buying the real thing. It's your engine at stake.
I have already posted the pics of the can I purchased from the seller in the earlier posts, the oil is genuine, I can safely say that because even after covering 10,500 kilometres on 0w40 previously purchased from the same seller, the car was just as smooth as the first day. Even the mechanic astonishingly asked as to why we are giving the car for service when everything is butter smooth?
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 13:35   #4985
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,953
Thanked: 4,418 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I have already posted the pics of the can I purchased from the seller in the earlier posts, the oil is genuine,
Well, in that case all I can say Delhi-ites are way lucky not just with lower fuel prices but for other automobile items too when compared to those of us in a high tax State like MH.

I'll try getting engine oils cheaper at a local dealer. Of course now that I bought my supply of engine oil (Amsoil Signature 5W-30) that has to wait till the next annual maintenance schedule comes around.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th July 2018 at 13:37.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 13:52   #4986
BHPian
 
digitalnirvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pale blue dot
Posts: 309
Thanked: 975 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I don't think it will be an issue if one is already using semi synthetic oil. I use Shell HX7 10W 40 which is rated API SN. I guess the synthetic oils too will have similar API rating. My car has done only 34k, but is 9 years old. I am not using synthetic only because of my low annual usage. I am confident nothing will happen to the engine if I make the switch today.

Just switch to synthetic after completely draining the old oil, without using a flushing oil. Nothing will happen.
I was using Motul (probably) semi synthetic on my 80xxx run Estilo but now bought the Shell synthetic from Amazon. Is there a reason why flush shouldn't be used before switching to synthetic?

Apologies for the newbie questions. This is the first time I am taking an interest in the oils and have bought an STF engine flush, and a liquid Moly radiator cleaner and a liquid Moly injector cleaner too. Probably went overboard :(

I am basically looking for step by step instructions on how to use these, so that I can spot if my FNG is doing something wrong.
digitalnirvana is offline  
Old 28th July 2018, 16:55   #4987
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

For the flush, pour the contents of the bottle (or half of it if less than three little oil tank) into your engine oil sump. Run the engine at idle for like ten minutes and drain this oil and flush mix. Then fill new oil and replace the oil filter as usual.

Your injector cleaner - add it to the petrol tank as per the instructions on the bottle. But consider if you really need it - if your injectors / EGR are dirty, getting them cleaned professionally is a better idea.

Radiator cleaner - https://www.wikihow.com/Flush-a-Radiator
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 17:54   #4988
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,147
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Not sure which of the various Rimula variants on the market you used The GTX is CH4 and not a bad oil at all (Tata approved), Rimula R4 specifically is quite decent and a CI4+.

Hi, I have used Shell Rimula R3X and R4 series oils in my cars and to whichever car I used it the engine became rough and the engine sound increased as compared to GTX.
mercedised is offline  
Old 6th September 2018, 22:54   #4989
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I feel 4k is a little steep. I was planning on using the Motul 4100 Power 5w30.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01LYGFOIV/?coliid=I33UZHY15CIY96&colid=15740KRS4W0EV&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
it's recommended on other forums as well. What do you say?
Hi,
I have a figo TDCI 2013. I have been using Motul 4100 5w30 in the last 2 years. Found it to be good. Engine is smooth, noise levels are controlled, although I have seen no change in economy, the best part was it lasts for about 8k Kms before it starts showing age. The oil spec, however is of an older generation but matches Ford's requirement for the TDCI.
iamsai_iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 14:16   #4990
BHPian
 
Turrrb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chennai
Posts: 341
Thanked: 524 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsai_iyer View Post
Hi,
I have a figo TDCI 2013. I have been using Motul 4100 5w30 in the last 2 years. Found it to be good. Engine is smooth, noise levels are controlled, although I have seen no change in economy, the best part was it lasts for about 8k Kms before it starts showing age. The oil spec, however is of an older generation but matches Ford's requirement for the TDCI.
Yeah, I think both the Mobil Super 3000 and this Motul 4100 oil are perfect for our cars.
The 1.4 TDCi engine being relatively older tech (read late 90s), it will do perfectly fine with the older oil specs.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 7th September 2018 at 14:19.
Turrrb0 is offline  
Old 7th September 2018, 21:53   #4991
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Yeah, I think both the Mobil Super 3000 and this Motul 4100 oil are perfect for our cars.
The 1.4 TDCi engine being relatively older tech (read late 90s), it will do perfectly fine with the older oil specs.
They are both API SM/CF. The CF part is what concerns you for a diesel engine. Old spec, but as you say a 2000s era engine.

This one is the closest in spec from Amsoil but they don't seem to have a 5w30 variant in the Indian market (a 5w30 European car formula oil is listed on the Amsoil website). The 1.4 and 1.5 TDCI Ford engines are sourced from Peugeot so yes, European. I hope they introduce the 5w30 variant soon.

5w30 also supports VW 507 00 for the latest VW diesels. https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf

Last edited by hserus : 7th September 2018 at 21:59.
hserus is offline  
Old 8th September 2018, 19:43   #4992
BHPian
 
Turrrb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chennai
Posts: 341
Thanked: 524 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
They are both API SM/CF. The CF part is what concerns you for a diesel engine. Old spec, but as you say a 2000s era engine.

This one is the closest in spec from Amsoil but they don't seem to have a 5w30 variant in the Indian market (a 5w30 European car formula oil is listed on the Amsoil website). The 1.4 and 1.5 TDCI Ford engines are sourced from Peugeot so yes, European. I hope they introduce the 5w30 variant soon.

5w30 also supports VW 507 00 for the latest VW diesels. https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf
Yes, I wish they do too. Also, your fiesta's engine deserves nothing lesser than the best (proper full synthetic).
Btw, I remember you saying your oil guy might be able to source some of the 5w30 Amsoil. Any news regarding that?

Cheers!!
Turrrb0 is offline  
Old 9th September 2018, 05:47   #4993
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Yes, I wish they do too. Also, your fiesta's engine deserves nothing lesser than the best (proper full synthetic).
Btw, I remember you saying your oil guy might be able to source some of the 5w30 Amsoil. Any news regarding that?

Cheers!!
Not my oil guy as much as the Amsoil distributor in India (Greaves). They said they keep getting new stocks and products and to check back after some months.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 23:54   #4994
BHPian
 
Rshrey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 277
Thanked: 451 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I was going through Amazon's engine oil catalogue and found out this oil, it's Shell HX8 and it's written full synthetic. Has anyone used it? Seems cheaper than other synthetic oils. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20181003235213.png  

Rshrey22 is offline  
Old 4th October 2018, 07:24   #4995
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,762
Thanked: 5,919 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I was going through Amazon's engine oil catalogue and found out this oil, it's Shell HX8 and it's written full synthetic. Has anyone used it? Seems cheaper than other synthetic oils. Any thoughts?
The Helix HX8 is SN/CF again, very similar to Shell Helix Ultra. For petrol, diesel without DPF and CNG engines. Depends on what car you have, but it can be a reasonable oil to use.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks