Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 06:51   #5086
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Go with Shell helix HX-8 5w30, it's rated API-SN, it's synthetic, and available for lesser price in market. I bought it for Rs.1350/-. (Refer my earlier posts). It did wonders to my waggy!

Show your car some synthetic goodness .
I'm not so sure about that. K series engine fine but those F10Ds specify 20w40 mineral.

Go to at the most 15w40 in a semi synthetic. In shell that'd be the HX7 15w40.
Old 20th November 2018, 07:58   #5087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I'm not so sure about that. K series engine fine but those F10Ds specify 20w40 mineral.

Go to at the most 15w40 in a semi synthetic. In shell that'd be the HX7 15w40.
His post mentioned that Maruti recommends 5w30 for Estilo, but I feel you might be right!
F10Ds are old engines just like Epsilons.

In that case, 10w40 (Shell HX7) is the best that it should get.
Old 20th November 2018, 09:42   #5088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
His post mentioned that Maruti recommends 5w30 for Estilo, but I feel you might be right!
F10Ds are old engines just like Epsilons.

In that case, 10w40 (Shell HX7) is the best that it should get.
K series engines were installed in later model Estilo and Wagon R and those specify 5w30

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4207531 (Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki)

Last edited by hserus : 20th November 2018 at 09:44.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 10:48   #5089
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I own a VW Polo 1.5 tdi. The car had been serviced with VW from when I bought it in 2015 till date. However since the service centers are not conviniently located for me I choose the local Bosch authorised service center where my previous car and the other cars in my family are being serviced. While the service quality is good, the service center used an engine oil called Gazpromneft which I have never heard off. I also noticed this late as normally they use Shell or Bosch lubricants.

Please request the gurus to shed light if this is a permissable oil or if I should get it changed. The car to me feels mostly the same to drive and maybe feels a little gruff maybe due to the detergent properties of the oil.

Attaching a picture of the oil for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20181125_101558.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20181125_101603.jpg  

Thebat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 10:54   #5090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
the service center used an engine oil called Gazpromneft which I have never heard off. I also noticed this late as normally they use Shell or Bosch lubricants.
That is the Russian government owned oil company. Quality should be OK.

It has a VW 505.00 approval. For your 1.5 TDI you would be better off with the newer 507.00 spec. The only oil with this spec that appears available on the open market is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00SFNNTSE/..._JgJ-BbDSAE5JS

All other oils currently available with a VW spec (including your Russian oil and Shell Helix Ultra) are the older 505.00 spec.
Old 25th November 2018, 13:20   #5091
BHPian

Quote:
K series engines were installed in later model Estilo and Wagon R and those specify 5w30

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4207531 (Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki)
Erm now I am really worried. When I had googled for Estilo F10D earlier (cursory search, to be fair) the oil mentioned was 5W-30. There are 2 entries for Zen in the table you have posted. The first entry is in the first picture and it doesn't mention the engine type. The second entry is in the last picture right above Estilo and it mentions Zen F10D SAE 5W-30.

I have already purchased a Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil (4 L), and worryingly have used 1 litre from it to top up the existing Motul mineral oil.
Old 25th November 2018, 13:31   #5092
Senior - BHPian

What IS the use of buying expensive synthetic and using it to top up mineral oil? Homemade semi synthetic oil?

Nothing much will happen to your car - use the rest of the synthetic but going forward stick to a good semi synthetic in the correct weight say 15w40 or 20w40.
Old 25th November 2018, 13:39   #5093
BHPian

Of course, I deserve to be called out. Have been stupid in using the expensive oil for topping up - against my initial judgement. Thanks for replying, and going forward will go the semi synthetic route.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 15:29   #5094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Of course, I deserve to be called out. Have been stupid in using the expensive oil for topping up - against my initial judgement. Thanks for replying, and going forward will go the semi synthetic route.
Just use Shell HX-7 10W40 semi synthetic. It will perform better at startup while not compromising with operating temperature thickness.

Problem solved!
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-81fh3qmwj1l._sl1500_.jpg  

Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 10:20   #5095
BHPian

Guys, need some help.

Need to get Ciaz Diesel serviced for 40K kms mark - and would need a recommendation on oil. Lately I have experienced a minor drop in mileage, and an increased level of noise/vibration from engine.

Which would be the best oil for diesel engine to beat the engine clatter and bring down the noise a bit ?

PS - not too super expensive
Old 27th November 2018, 11:19   #5096
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is cobranding Shell Helix HX8 5w30 for the Ciaz diesel and it is a reasonable oil.

You can try Mobil x1 as well - they have a MGDO (maruti genuine diesel oil) in 5w30 as well.

I am not sure vibrations are just due to oil - not at a mere 40k km. How long between oil changes? Also make sure your air filter (and car ac filter) are changed every 10k km along with the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, need some help.

Need to get Ciaz Diesel serviced for 40K kms mark - and would need a recommendation on oil. Lately I have experienced a minor drop in mileage, and an increased level of noise/vibration from engine.

Which would be the best oil for diesel engine to beat the engine clatter and bring down the noise a bit ?

PS - not too super expensive
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 11:28   #5097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lately I have experienced a minor drop in mileage, and an increased level of noise/vibration from engine.
Offtopic, but have you got the EGR cleaned?? I have seen MJDs facing this issue usually around the 40k kms mark.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 12:24   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti is cobranding Shell Helix HX8 5w30 for the Ciaz diesel and it is a reasonable oil.

I am not sure vibrations are just due to oil - not at a mere 40k km. How long between oil changes? Also make sure your air filter (and car ac filter) are changed every 10k km along with the oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Offtopic, but have you got the EGR cleaned?? I have seen MJDs facing this issue usually around the 40k kms mark.

Thanks guys.

Would be ordering the following -
https://www.amazon.in/Shell-HX8-SN-S...Helix+HX8+5w30

I think my comments on vibrations sound too harsh - no, they are minor vibrations. Sound of the engine has sure increased - but this is again noticeable only to people "outside" of the car. For instance, my wife comes to know I have reached home when I am outside the main gate - she tells me truck has reached

For me, within the car, the sound has increased a bit, but not too much for discomfort.

Air filter was changed at 30K servicing interval ( not car AC filter - moreover I dont think engine noise has to do anything with pollen AC filter )

Shashi, EGR valve was cleaned at last servicing - 30K kms.
Old 28th November 2018, 17:54   #5099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need some help.

My friend who has a May 2018 Ciaz diesel - SHVS had noise and vibration issues, noise from steering etc. There was a bit of variation seen in the tachometer needle during idle as well, coupled with drop in mileage.

The car has spent considerable amount of time in the workshop now. Things that are replaced includes - Steering Column & Rack, Fuel Pump , SHVS alternator etc replaced due to excess noise, all under warranty. While the SHVS alternator replacement stabilized the tacho needle, the humming noise was back after a week. They said the SHVS alternator had a bearing damage that caused the engine RPM to vary.

Car is now back in the garage while Maruti is trying to figure out what is wrong.

Please have it inspected before going for an oil change alone.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 19:29   #5100
Distinguished - BHPian

An update - The water pump is also changed as of today, car is still with the service center while they are testing it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed