Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2018, 13:28   #4936
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Does anyone have any more info on this oil?
From what I can see its perfect for the Ford TDCi engine. It has got the right manufacturer approval of FORD WSS-M2C913-D(which is backwards compatible with B and C). Comes with ACEA A5B5 rating too.
https://www.flipkart.com/mitasu-5w-3...place=FLIPKART

It is expensive IMO, but this is the first oil I'm seeing which clearly has the ford approval(WSS-M2C913-D) outside of FASS. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I wouldn't mind trying it out if one of our in-house oil experts can confirm that this is a good choice.
Is Mitasu a product from one of these guys?
  1. Idemitsu Kosan Co.
  2. JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation
  3. ExxonMobil Yugen Kaisha
  4. Nisseki Mitsubishi Kabushiki Gaisya
  5. Nisseki Mitsubishi Co.

Most probably it is not. Because...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry on BITOG in 2012
Some time ago (about 2-3 years or so), businessmen from the Russian Far East created new "Japanese-like" motor oil brands for the Russain market: Mitasu, Takumi, Totachi, Yokki. The oils are blended in Singapore, the trademarks were registered in Japan, have japanese-like names and marketed as "True Japanese product"
Src:https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/2828832/1

Last edited by Sankar : 24th July 2018 at 13:36.
Old 24th July 2018, 13:33   #4937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are most welcome! happy to be of help.

If I'm not wrong, hserus. Don't you own the petrol fiesta? If so isn't the oil spec for that 10w30 and, with manufacturer approval code WSS-M2C923-A1.
I have a 1.5 TDCI (Diesel) all new Fiesta from 2014. WSS-M2C913C/D required - which that Mobil 1 provides.

And to answer your other question here is the history of the Ford diesel used in Figo / Fiesta - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine

Last edited by hserus : 24th July 2018 at 13:41.
Old 24th July 2018, 13:55   #4938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Is Mitasu a product from one of these guys?
  1. Idemitsu Kosan Co.
  2. JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation
  3. ExxonMobil Yugen Kaisha
  4. Nisseki Mitsubishi Kabushiki Gaisya
  5. Nisseki Mitsubishi Co.

Most probably it is not. Because...

Src:https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/2828832/1
I have no clue, myself. Would it be of inferior quality if it is from those Russian origins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I have a 1.5 TDCI (Diesel) all new Fiesta from 2014. WSS-M2C913C/D required - which that Mobil 1 provides.

And to answer your other question here is the history of the Ford diesel used in Figo / Fiesta - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine
I stand corrected, idk why I assumed you owned a petrol fiesta.
Going by the specs, it is the perfect oil for you.
Old 24th July 2018, 14:19   #4939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no clue, myself. Would it be of inferior quality if it is from those Russian origins?
It is a Russian oil, made by some OEM in Singapore, which is being sold as a "made in Japan" oil with a Japanese sounding brand name.

I'd normally associate such fun with "Made in China".

Edit - Amsoil price list as provided by Mr.Aneja. They also sell coolants, engine flushes etc apparently.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-amsoil.jpeg  

Last edited by hserus : 24th July 2018 at 14:44.
Old 24th July 2018, 14:48   #4940
BHPian

Quote:
It is a Russian oil, made by some OEM in Singapore, which is being sold as a "made in Japan" oil with a Japanese sounding brand name.

I'd normally associate such fun with "Made in China".(LOL)

Edit - Amsoil price list as provided by Mr.Aneja. They also sell coolants, engine flushes etc apparently.
Most forum reviews on google recommend not touching mitasu.
But then I find this review on amazon (I found it a little funny).
Quote:
a cowboy design (noisy) engine of usa.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-asdfghjk.png  

Old 24th July 2018, 14:50   #4941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most forum reviews on google recommend not touching mitasu.
But then I find this review on amazon (I found it a little funny).
If it conforms to that Ford spec that it claims, it will work. And being a synthetic even if a knockoff Japanese brand it will work better than a cheap semi synthetic. So if you want to pay 4k ++ for a fill go ahead.
Old 24th July 2018, 15:26   #4942
BHPian

Quote:
If it conforms to that Ford spec that it claims, it will work. And being a synthetic even if a knockoff Japanese brand it will work better than a cheap semi synthetic. So if you want to pay 4k ++ for a fill go ahead.
I feel 4k is a little steep. I was planning on using the Motul 4100 Power 5w30.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01LYGFOIV/?coliid=I33UZHY15CIY96&colid=15740KRS4W0EV&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
it's recommended on other forums as well. What do you say?
Old 24th July 2018, 16:07   #4943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel 4k is a little steep. I was planning on using the Motul 4100 Power 5w30.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01LYGFOIV/?coliid=I33UZHY15CIY96&colid=15740KRS4W0EV&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
it's recommended on other forums as well. What do you say?
That is a semi synthetic 5w30 that seems priced roughly similar to the Mobil I suggested, which is a cheap synthetic. Both of them seem to be older Diesel specs namely API SM/CF, while the Mobil 1 has a Ford approval. Not sure about the Motul.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 18:15   #4944
BANNED

Quote:
If it was good stuff there would be good reviews around. Also other well regarded oils are available at less than what they are selling the mitasu for. So why buy unknown?

I prefer oil from major "oil companies" such Mobil, Motul, Shell, Total, Castrol etc. who has large R&D budgets and presence in motorsports. I keep away from and prefer to stay away from unknown brands and boutique oils.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th July 2018 at 18:40.
Old 24th July 2018, 19:38   #4945
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, this is the Amsoil product catalogue including flushes, brake fluids etc from received from Mr Aneja. Sharing this for your reference and selection when required.

I need to add this - I do not have any commercial interest in Amsoil or ANY oil manufacturer, distributor or retailer in India or overseas. Uploaded for the convenience of TBHP members.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AMSOIL Product introduction.pdf (2.07 MB, 959 views)

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th July 2018 at 19:39.
Old 24th July 2018, 22:48   #4946
BHPian

hello experts, I have a Xylo 2011 model (first one) with the mEagle engine (Peugeot's XDP engine modified with CRDI pump). It has just crossed 50000 km. Since last 5000 km or so I had changed over from Mahindra Maximile FEO engine oil and later to Shell Mineral oil (don't know which one, perhaps HX5) and later to GS Caltex Kixx Gold Supreme (which was the worst IMO, that I drained that fluid after 1000 km) and now on Shell Helix Ultra Synthetic. As long as I was using mineral oil or semi-synthetic oils, the engine clatter, especially morning start and idling was not so prominent but now with the synthetic oil, I find the engine clatter is so prominent to the extent of giving me some unknown concerns. Also i find that the mileage has come down by 1 to 1.5 kmpl with this oil. Apart from that I find no noticeable difference.

I am seriously thinking of switching back to mineral oil or semi synthetic oil (Shell Helix HX7 or Rimula T3). What is your opinion with regard to the increased engine clatter and reduced mileage and what would be your advise with respect to engine oil for the old modeled engines like mEagle or modified XDP?
Old 25th July 2018, 00:07   #4947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
hello experts, I have a Xylo 2011 model (first one) with the mEagle engine (Peugeot's XDP engine modified with CRDI pump). It has just crossed 50000 km. Since last 5000 km or so I had changed over from Mahindra Maximile FEO engine oil and later to Shell Mineral oil (don't know which one, perhaps HX5) and later to GS Caltex Kixx Gold Supreme (which was the worst IMO, that I drained that fluid after 1000 km) and now on Shell Helix Ultra Synthetic. As long as I was using mineral oil or semi-synthetic oils, the engine clatter, especially morning start and idling was not so prominent but now with the synthetic oil, I find the engine clatter is so prominent to the extent of giving me some unknown concerns. Also, I find that the mileage has come down by 1 to 1.5 kmpl with this oil. Apart from that, I find no noticeable difference.

I am seriously thinking of switching back to mineral oil or semi-synthetic oil (Shell Helix HX7 or Rimula T3). What is your opinion with regard to the increased engine clatter and reduced mileage and what would be your advise with respect to engine oil for the old modeled engines like mEagle or modified XDP?
I’m not sure however if this XDP engine employs a flat tappet design for the camshaft then synthetic oils are a no no as they don’t contain an adequate amount of ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates) which is required to protect flat tappet design. Newer generation oils (for both diesel & gasoline engines) have drastically reduced the amount of ZDDP as it plays havoc with the catalytic converter employed in the new generation cars.

This XDP engine is quite an old design so I would recommend a conventional 15W-40 that is likely to have a much higher dosage of ZDDP as compared to a synthetic. As you’re inclined towards Shell, you may use the Rimula 15W-40.

Additionally, if you notice the specification for the Shell Helix Ultra is API SN/CF which is primarily designed for gasoline engines. I can’t think of a single diesel engine that will make do with an API CF spec.

Shell Rimula 15W-40, on the other hand, is an API CF-4 spec which though quite old is still better than API-CF.

Your vehicle has already put in more than 50,000 kilometers on the clock; it is not advisable to use a synthetic formulation in an engine that has been using a conventional oil for almost first half of its useful life (assuming that this engine will last only 100K).

Most importantly what is the viscosity grade that the manufacturer has recommended for this engine? Please stick to that as they know what’s best for their engine.

Lastly, I would like to add a general comment (that I have mentioned repeatedly in my earlier posts on the forum) for the forum members/general readers; just because the full synthetic is the current rage, does not mean it is the best engine oil for your vehicle if it employs an engine design that is 90’s vintage. Please stick to the manufacturer’s recommendation and avoid any potential failure/malfunction in the long run.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 07:02   #4948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Additionally, if you notice the specification for the Shell Helix Ultra is API SN/CF which is primarily designed for gasoline engines. I can’t think of a single diesel engine that will make do with an API CF spec.

Shell Rimula 15W-40, on the other hand, is an API CF-4 spec which though quite old is still better than API-CF.
Using a specified diesel oil will certainly help in this case rather than a petrol oil that has some bare compliance with diesel. Even there, API-CF or CF-4 is more than adequate for a 90s engine.

One possible reason for all the noise he's seeing with Shell Helix Ultra is that this engine oil has a bunch of additives that have flushed a ton of sludge from his engine. And once the sludge is gone, there's engine clatter because the oil seals and such that were a bit brittle but got covered by a thick layer of sludge found themselves very clean all of a sudden.

Going back to Mineral and letting sludge build up might be an interesting idea if he doesn't want to replace the oil seals. And yes, a diesel specific oil (Mobil Delvac MX, Shell Rimula - which has multiple variants, their R4 is CI4+ if not this Amsoil that R2D2 and I are so over excited about) would be a far better idea than Shell Helix Ultra.

Last edited by hserus : 25th July 2018 at 07:18.
Old 25th July 2018, 07:37   #4949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I am seriously thinking of switching back to mineral oil or semi synthetic oil (Shell Helix HX7 or Rimula T3). What is your opinion with regard to the increased engine clatter and reduced mileage and what would be your advise with respect to engine oil for the old modeled engines like mEagle or modified XDP?
Shell rimula series is crap. That is what I have found after using it in different SUVs. It increases engine noise also the engine feels alot more rough. I have found Castrol GTX diesel tobe alot more better than all other mineral oils that I have used including Mobil in my Safari.
Old 25th July 2018, 07:40   #4950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Shell rimula series is crap. That is what I have found after using it in different SUVs. It increases engine noise also the engine feels alot more rough. I have found Castrol GTX diesel tobe alot more better than all other mineral oils that I have used including Mobil in my Safari.
Not sure which of the various Rimula variants on the market you used The GTX is CH4 and not a bad oil at all (Tata approved), Rimula R4 specifically is quite decent and a CI4+.

Most Viewed