Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:54   #5686
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Alternatives for FEO include 5W30, 10W40, 5W40 as per this sheet . If you read the data sheets of these oils - they are not the same, some are gasoline engine oils as well. The owner`s manual at the same time mentions 15W40 CH4 as minimum and to change at 10,000.

I did see ILSAC G5 mentioned in the spec sheet of some of the oils, this means any 5W30 \5W40 \ 10W40 \15W40 will not do and whatever recommendation in that chart is probably based on testing against FEO for many things including the following.

ILSAC GF-5
Introduced in October 2010 for 2011 and older vehicles, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and turbochargers, more stringent sludge control, improved fuel economy, enhanced emission control system compatibility, seal compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.

In conclusion - Use OE recommended oil(s). It is the least we can do for our cars.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 02:24   #5687
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to switch to the Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0w20 mga approved oil for my dzire from 10k onwards.

Any reviews on this oil and any problems if i carry the oil with me for the service since its got the mga logo on it?
Old 24th December 2020, 23:47   #5688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
I have also just learned that this is Valvoline All Fleet Turbo Technical Specification: SAE 15W-40, API CH-4; and as per my sources being a CV oil should easily do 20k.
This is very likely what Mahindra Maximile Feo from Valvoline cummins is. Reading through the XUV5OO thread I came across that post from AGwagon.

Name:  Valvoline All fleet turbo.png
Views: 1679
Size:  249.8 KB
Old 25th December 2020, 01:13   #5689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I am planning to switch to the Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0w20 mga approved oil for my dzire from 10k onwards.

Any reviews on this oil and any problems if i carry the oil with me for the service since its got the mga logo on it?
The service centre won't have any problem if you carry your own synthetic oil of the same grade.

But is there any need (and any expected benefit under your usage pattern / conditions) of using a fully synthetic oil? You have a choice of using the normal (mineral) oil and changing the oil bit earlier (say 7500 km) than recommended 10,000 km. This shall be enough to give you a good engine life and smoothness.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 25th December 2020 at 01:14.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 06:05   #5690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This is very likely what Mahindra Maximile Feo from Valvoline cummins is. Reading through the XUV5OO thread I came across that post from AGwagon.
They wouldn't allow IOC to manufacture it in that case! This is one of their flagship mineral oils for CVs.

And as I said the international manual for Mahindra recommends 5w30 oils for the Scorpio. https://www.mahindra-tis.com/ has international manuals for just about every Mahindra model sold overseas.
Old 26th December 2020, 09:47   #5691
Senior - BHPian

My 2010 Sonata Diesel normally requires 5W30 Servo oil. 6.5 lts at about Rs 250 per liter from the agency.
Since the car is reaching 2l kms, I am thinking of trying the Mobil 1 0W40 advanced full synthetic oil.Quite expensive at about Rs 34xx for 4 lts but have heard great things about it and was recommended given the mileage on my car. Plus if I can use it for about 15000 kms before change, it helps rather then doing it every 7500 or so kms. I am not going to do an engine flush before the oil change though. I am aware that in older cars with high mileage, sludge may be the only barrier keeping oil from seeing into cracked/worn-out seals.

Anyone has any experience using this in high mileage cars?

Last edited by bigron : 26th December 2020 at 10:11.
Old 26th December 2020, 10:19   #5692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
My 2010 Sonata Diesel normally requires 5W30 Servo oil. 6.5 lts at about Rs 250 per liter from the agency.
Since the car is reaching 2l kms, I am thinking of trying the Mobil 1 0W40 advanced full synthetic oil.
Not used it myself however from the picture of this oil can on Amazon, it says the oil meets API CF. Your vehicle would need API CH4, please confirm this from the owner's manual before you change the oil.

Synthetic oil may last longer but your oil filter may not last that long if it is meant to be changed at 7K or 10K kms, so be careful before changing the oil drain interval.
Old 26th December 2020, 10:48   #5693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not used it myself however from the picture of this oil can on Amazon, it says the oil meets API CF. Your vehicle would need API CH4, please confirm this from the owner's manual before you change the oil.

Synthetic oil may last longer but your oil filter may not last that long if it is meant to be changed at 7K or 10K kms, so be careful before changing the oil drain interval.
Fair point. I shall have look at my manual and confirm but I think you are right. It does say not compatible with my Vehicle on the online Hyundai forums I checked.

But just to get an idea, what API CH4 oil should I be looking at then?
Ofcourse, going with what the dealer puts in is the easiest and cheapest option but if there is something better than that I would like to give it a try.

Last edited by bigron : 26th December 2020 at 10:50.
Old 26th December 2020, 12:37   #5694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fair point. I shall have look at my manual and confirm but I think you are right. It does say not compatible with my Vehicle on the online Hyundai forums I checked.

But just to get an idea, what API CH4 oil should I be looking at then?
Ofcourse, going with what the dealer puts in is the easiest and cheapest option but if there is something better than that I would like to give it a try.
The API CI, CK etc are backwards compatible with CH4. If you could make sure it is mentioned on the oil can you are buying , that should do it. I'm not suggesting a brand as such because within the nominal 'Shell Helix ## ' they could have some oils that are CF , some are CI4 etc. We have to make sure the oil we get is minimum CH4 or above.

Many of the newer oils will say they are good for diesel as well as gasoline engines - and with a wide grade like 0W40 they appear to be good for every possible engine and will meet the latest specifications by API or ACEA with a notable exception - diesel. Diesel engine oils need to deal with a lot of soot and possible sulfur contamination in places like India, therefore the API CH4 or above as per the engine's owners manual is recommended. Considering the age of the vehicle the tolerances would be designed with that oil in mind.

If I were in your place, I would use a diesel specific oil that is CH4 or above , Mobil super, Shell rimula etc as aftermarket options or use OE supplied oil.
Old 28th December 2020, 10:02   #5695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If I were in your place, I would use a diesel specific oil that is CH4 or above , Mobil super, Shell rimula etc as aftermarket options or use OE supplied oil.
The dealer refused to give the Engine Oil off the counter. What they use is Servo 5W30. I went to the IOC Petrol pump and the only Oil they have is Maruti Certified 5w30. Has no API ratings on it.

Checking Mobil Super, I came across Super 3000 and 1000. 3000 has a API SN Engine Test requirement and 1000 has API CF. I am not sure if these will work.

Then there is Shell Helix HX8 5W30 with the API SN/CF. Now CF is an older category to CH-4 is what I ve figured.
This is getting confusing.
Old 28th December 2020, 10:33   #5696
BANNED

Quote:
Then there is Shell Helix HX8 5W30 with the API SN/CF. Now CF is an older category to CH-4 is what I ve figured.
I have a Creta 1.6L CRDi and have used Mobil Super 3000 Formula FE (5W30). No issues faced with it and currently using Shell Helix HX8 (5W30).

You can use the Shell Helix HX8 in your car.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 10:55   #5697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer refused to give the Engine Oil off the counter. What they use is Servo 5W30. I went to the IOC Petrol pump and the only Oil they have is Maruti Certified 5w30. Has no API ratings on it.

Checking Mobil Super, I came across Super 3000 and 1000. 3000 has a API SN Engine Test requirement and 1000 has API CF. I am not sure if these will work.

This is getting confusing.
If there is reputed engine oil dealer, that would be a good place to look for, you should be able to find the right can with the right specifications. Fuel stations may not have all types of oil even if the company itself manufacturers many variants.

In Bangalore, I would buy it from JC road, I can also find original oil filter in the same place.

Yes you are right CF is old, CH4 or above is what we need here. Amazon has the right one, but I don't know who is selling it and therefore I won't buy engine oil from Amazon.
Old 28th December 2020, 12:56   #5698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have a Creta 1.6L CRDi and have used Mobil Super 3000 Formula FE (5W30). No issues faced with it and currently using Shell Helix HX8 (5W30).

Thanks. Will use Shell. How much is the local rate per liter? I have been quoted 550 Rs per liter.
Old 28th December 2020, 22:43   #5699
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks. Will use Shell. How much is the local rate per liter? I have been quoted 550 Rs per liter.
IIRC paid ₹2350 for 5 litres can which translates roughly to ₹470 per liter.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 07:47   #5700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

So Shell hx8 or taxi 5w30 are the right choices but Mobil Super 3000 while a decent oil is not, for Hyundais.

Because Hyundai recommends 5w30 acea a3/b4 whereas the Mobil and most other 5w30 oils are a5/b5 so only those two shell oils above fit the spec and are easily available in the open market.

Most Viewed