Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 16:07   #5701
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

My Ford Freestyle 1.5 TDCi BSIV is within the factory warranty. I wish to switch to fully-synthetic engine oil. Would it be advisable?
Old 11th January 2021, 16:47   #5702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraj.515 View Post
My Ford Freestyle 1.5 TDCi BSIV is within the factory warranty. I wish to switch to fully-synthetic engine oil. Would it be advisable?
The dealer oil is fully synthetic you don’t get mineral 5w30

Mobil Super 3000 x1 has ford approvals and is in the open market else you have a wide range of 5w30 a5/b5 synthetic oils available in the open market and on Amazon
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 19:27   #5703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I used to fill mineral 5w30 in my SX4 from Mobil.

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-Super-Pr...0373372&sr=8-3
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 09:49   #5704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Mobil Super 3000 x1 has ford approvals and is in the open market else you have a wide range of 5w30 a5/b5 synthetic oils available in the open market and on Amazon

Is Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 advisable?
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07NW9D8FG/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Would it void the warranty?
Old 16th January 2021, 11:31   #5705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amsoil Signature is an excellent oil.

Quote:
It may. Since you car is in warranty I'd recommend only using dealer supplied lubes and parts. Don't take a risk. Also, some dealers do not permit the use of aftermarket products. Check if your current oil/default fill is synthetic and if not ask the dealer if they have an approved synthetic option.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 11:37   #5706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Amsoil Signature is an excellent oil.

It may. Since you car is in warranty I'd recommend only using dealer supplied lubes and parts. Don't take a risk. Also, some dealers do not permit the use of aftermarket products. Check if your current oil/default fill is synthetic and if not ask the dealer if they have an approved synthetic option.
I have a good relationship with my nearest FASS. They would allow me happily to get my choice of spares replaced. But, I'm concerned about its reflection in the service history and possible warranty void.

Ford doesn't offer choices for oil.
Old 16th January 2021, 11:48   #5707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a good relationship with my nearest FASS. They would allow me happily to get my choice of spares replaced. But, I'm concerned about its reflection in the service history and possible warranty void.
Ford doesn't offer choices for oil.
If your FASS allows oil or aftermarket parts make sure it is not mentioned in the service history. When my car was under warranty the dealer allowed me to use aftermarket synthetic but mentioned it very clearly in the job sheet and history. Had there ever been any serious engine related issue attributable to the oil TKM would have not honoured the warranty. It was a measured risk I took but do not recommend it to anybody else.
Old 16th January 2021, 12:21   #5708
BHPian

Quote:
If your FASS allows oil or aftermarket parts make sure it is not mentioned in the service history. When my car was under warranty the dealer allowed me to use aftermarket synthetic but mentioned it very clearly in the job sheet and history. Had there ever been any serious engine related issue attributable to the oil TKM would have not honoured the warranty. It was a measured risk I took but do not recommend it to anybody else.
I can even ask the FASS folks not to mention it the history. How can I make sure that my car stays within the warranty and I also enjoy the better performance from the engine?

My usage is pretty high. The car has clocked 40k kms within its first year.
Old 16th January 2021, 13:04   #5709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can even ask the FASS folks not to mention it the history. How can I make sure that my car stays within the warranty and I also enjoy the better performance from the engine?

My usage is pretty high. The car has clocked 40k kms within its first year.
When you take it in for service, if you use aftermarket engine oil - there will be no entry for having used OE engine oil in the invoice as well as the parts counter, all of this is linked. Every small item is tracked from vendor to warehouse to dealer to parts counter etc.

So if you have not billed engine oil from the first service onwards - your engine warranty for any oil related issues is questionable.

Changing the factory recommended oil to aftermarket oil will not increase performance - you have to burn more fuel to make more power.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 13:21   #5710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
When you take it in for service, if you use aftermarket engine oil - there will be no entry for having used OE engine oil in the invoice as well as the parts counter, all of this is linked. Every small item is tracked from vendor to warehouse to dealer to parts counter etc.

So if you have not billed engine oil from the first service onwards - your engine warranty for any oil related issues is questionable.

Changing the factory recommended oil to aftermarket oil will not increase performance - you have to burn more fuel to make more power.
The performance is adequate but the refinement is my concern. Over the time, clatter has increased to a noticeable margin.
Old 16th January 2021, 13:36   #5711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The performance is adequate but the refinement is my concern. Over the time, clatter has increased to a noticeable margin.
Watch out for the oil pressure light, if it switches off a few seconds after cold start and the clatter stops at idle - you are okay. If it clatters when the engine is cold and you hit the accelerator (in gear) - this is also okay.

but if it's there when the engine is warm and gets worse as you accelerate, you have to get it checked.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 20:33   #5712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When the car is in warranty your hands are tied, period. No two ways about it. Either you follow teh car manufacturer's recommended service intervals, use their parts and lubes or run the risk of voiding your warranty. It is a risk you need to decide on.

Also, shifting to synthetic doesn't mean extended drain intervals as many misinformed people, looking to extract more value from the higher priced oil, seem to assume. Synthetic or mineral you need to change the oil at the SAME interval unless explicitly specified in the manual and/or the oil can label. So if a car does 40K/year I'd rather have 4 mineral oil changes at 10K intervals rather than 2 synthetic fills at 20K intervals. Synthetics offer better protection under high stress conditions but do not necessarily last longer.

Wait for the car warranty to lapse and then use a lube of your choice.
Old 17th January 2021, 09:38   #5713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07NW9D8FG/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Please note, Amsoil Signature is for petrol engines only. I remember one of the bhpians confirming this with Amsoil and they strictly recommended not using the signature series in Diesel engines. I believe you have a TDCi.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:13   #5714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Please note, Amsoil Signature is for petrol engines only. I remember one of the bhpians confirming this with Amsoil and they strictly recommended not using the signature series in Diesel engines. I believe you have a TDCi.
That's right. Amsoil Signature is mainly for petrol engines. It only meets barebones API CF classifications for diesels that means it can be used only in legacy diesels (before 2009) not modern ones that need API CH4 and higher

Read your owners manual for the correct grade and API or ACEA classifications. Do not deviate from recommended viscosities and classifications. It can harm your engine. It is critical you use only approved oils when the car is in warranty.

Check this - Oil Categories
Old 18th January 2021, 05:12   #5715
Senior - BHPian

Signature is a 5w30 a5b5

The acea b5 spec above means it is fine for light Diesel engines as well

Quote:
That's right. Amsoil Signature is mainly for petrol engines. It only meets barebones API CF classifications for diesels that means it can be used only in legacy diesels (before 2009) not modern ones that need API CH4 and higher

Read your owners manual for the correct grade and API or ACEA classifications. Do not deviate from recommended viscosities and classifications. It can harm your engine. It is critical you use only approved oils when the car is in warranty.

Check this - Oil Categories
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks