Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 29th October 2020, 00:08   #5641
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

This isn't a query regarding synthetic Vs mineral but it pertains to engine oils in general.
(Mods please shift this to the appropriate thread if necessary.)

I just bought an activa 6g with the fuel injection system. It's an all new engine which comes with a few changes in the oil department too.

The previous 110 cc had an oil capacity of 700 ml and the manufacturer recommended change interval was 4000 km. Now this mineral oil didn't really last the whole 4k Kms and I used to change it every 1.5-2k kms.

The new engine though, has an oil capacity of only 550 ml!! and the recommended change Interval is 6000 Kms!! (150 ml lesser oil and 2k more Kms)

Granted it is a fuel injection system with various sensors to monitor everything, but it's still a tiny (forced) air cooled engine cramped under the seat.

With max temperatures crossing 42°c in Hyderabad, I really can't imagine how honda expects the oil to last 6k Kms. The recommended oil is 5w30 Jaso MA API SJ or above (it cannot be energy/resource conserving oil) OR 10w30 Jaso MB API SJ

I'd expect this mineral oil to shear down and lose its properties and viscosity wayy before 6k kms. Heck even consume a little of the already less amount of oil.

I'd like to know your thoughts on this topic and what interval I should choose to change the oil.

What justification did the engineers have to make a drastic change like this? It can't solely be for environmental purposes.

There is no information or posts regarding this online, only people yapping about why the 6g didn't get a digital console or alloy wheels.

Last edited by Taha Mir : 29th October 2020 at 00:11. Reason: Additional details
Old 29th October 2020, 00:58   #5642
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ not exactly Apple to Apple comparison but the replacement interval recommended by Honda for the stock oil 10W-30 (Honda stunner) is also 6000 kms. That is normal mineral oil and my motorcycle is not even fuel injected one. It’s a 2010 carbureted motorcycle and Honda recommended 6K kms then as well. However, I change it around 2000-2500 kms. Once I went on till 3800 kms and the engine along with the gear shift became too rough to bear. So, in my experience, if using the normal mineral oil, stick to the 2-2.5k drain internal. I don’t think fuel injection technology would make that any different. I used to easily manage at least 5000 kms smoothly on synthetic oils though.

And 550 ml of total oil capacity is really a shocker for me! Less oil means less amount of liquid to ‘flow away’ the heat generated inside the engine; which means higher degradation of oil compared to higher volume. I would really like to know what is the rationale behind this by Honda.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 06:58   #5643
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure either but cvt automatic geared scooters need JASO MB spec oil though MA/MA2 (which is used for wet clutch manual geared bikes) will also do in a pinch.

There are fewer of these on the market but a good selection still ranging from HP to Mobil to Motul / Liqui Moly.

Search for JASO MB on Amazon and then make sure the oil can says JASO MB.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 16:26   #5644
BHPian

Oil spec for activa 6g
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20201029162504367_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg  

Taha Mir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 16:52   #5645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
Oil spec for activa 6g
Yes so a 10w30 or 10w40 JASO MB should fit the bill.

https://www.amazon.in/Motul-Scooter-...dp/B01ESPB3QC/

https://www.amazon.in/GULF-Pride-Sco...dp/B07TPLCLC9/

https://www.amazon.in/LIQUI-MOLY-208...dp/B07X2SRSQ9/

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-Super-Sc...dp/B07KML6TLK/
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed