Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 16:18   #346
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

For tubeless tyres of the stock size for a Swift VXI-ABS (165/80 R14) what is better amongst the following choices
- MRF ZV2K
- MRF ZVTS
- JK Tornado
- Apollo Amazer XL

I am looking for durability. Performance needs aren't great - most of time is spent stuck at Powai on the JVLR.

Anyone knows the current prices of the above - what's a good VFM? Any other brands which give a better VFM?

I have run around 49000 kms on my OEM tyres (JK Tornado) in 3 1/2 years. There are still treads left.

Last edited by carboy : 7th February 2011 at 16:19.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 17:18   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheersHonda View Post
thanks 'guptavis'! I finally went for ER60 with a set of new Steel rim.
Your welcome. Please share the size and price you got it for .

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
For tubeless tyres of the stock size for a Swift VXI-ABS (165/80 R14) what is better amongst the following choices
- MRF ZV2K
- MRF ZVTS
- JK Tornado
- Apollo Amazer XL

Anyone knows the current prices of the above - what's a good VFM? Any other brands which give a better VFM?
MRF ZVTS is one of the most durable tyres.
Apollo Acelere is recommended by many as a good tyre which is relatively VFM.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:56   #348
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post

MRF ZVTS is one of the most durable tyres.
What's the difference between ZVTS & ZV2K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post

Apollo Acelere is recommended by many as a good tyre which is relatively VFM.
It doesn't come in my size.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:58   #349
Senior - BHPian

How old the manufacturing dates can be at the time of purchase?

Even if there is enough life on the tyres, Is it safe to replace the tyres based on its age? If yes, what would be the recommended life span of a tyre?
Old 22nd February 2011, 00:38   #350
BHPian

A quick query, would 245/40 R18 tyres fit on a Skoda Octavia Vrs?

I'm okay as long as it would fit with spacers.

Thanks!
Old 24th May 2011, 11:13   #351
BHPian

I have a swift vdi abs. I am planning for an tyre upsize to 195/65 R 14. First I would like to know if I can fit 195/65 R 14 tyres on the stock rims. Please advice if that can be done or not and will that be a problem in any way. Will be changing the rims to alloys soon but want to know if I can do 195/65 R 14 on stock rims atleast for 10k km. My car has already done 12k km now.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:54   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
I have a swift vdi abs. I am planning for an tyre upsize to 195/65 R 14. First I would like to know if I can fit 195/65 R 14 tyres on the stock rims. Please advice if that can be done or not and will that be a problem in any way. Will be changing the rims to alloys soon but want to know if I can do 195/65 R 14 on stock rims atleast for 10k km. My car has already done 12k km now.
As I remember it may not be suitable with stock rims. More swift tyre discussions are found here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ade-swift.html
Old 24th May 2011, 12:22   #353
BANNED

How are Goodyear Duraplus tyres as a replacement for JK Tornado which come with Swift VXI - no upsizing.

I am trying to decide between JK, MRF & Duraplus. Will be 80% city driving. Even highway driving will be sedate.
Old 24th May 2011, 23:56   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How are Goodyear Duraplus tyres as a replacement for JK Tornado which come with Swift VXI - no upsizing.

I am trying to decide between JK, MRF & Duraplus. Will be 80% city driving. Even highway driving will be sedate.
After going through the specs, it seems that the Duraplus should be better.

Have you considered changing to the JK Vectra 185/70R14 that come as OE with the Zxi. You could mount them on the OE wheels of your Vxi, you ride will be much more comfortable compared to the 165s. These tires are generally available at very attractive prices at most tire shops selling michelins and yokos as many new Zxi owners trade them within 50 ~ 100kms of initial running. My 3 year old Zxi though still runs on these tires and they are great at handling too.

EDIT Upon super sizing the image of the Duraplus it seems that the tread is unidirectional. DO check this at the shop as the site says nothing about that. Nothing wrong in buying a rotational tire except that you will not be able to switch tires from the right side to the left side unless you take them off the wheels and remount after flipping them over so that the tread turns in the correct direction. Also it would be advisable to retain a non directional tire as the spare to enable mounting on either side in case of a puncture etc.

Last edited by khoj : 25th May 2011 at 00:14. Reason: Additional Information
Old 25th May 2011, 03:52   #355
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
After going through the specs, it seems that the Duraplus should be better.

Have you considered changing to the JK Vectra 185/70R14 that come as OE with the Zxi. You could mount them on the OE wheels of your Vxi, you ride will be much more comfortable compared to the 165s. These tires are generally available at very attractive prices at most tire shops selling michelins and yokos as many new Zxi owners trade them within 50 ~ 100kms of initial running. My 3 year old Zxi though still runs on these tires and they are great at handling too.
Any downsides to putting a bigger tyre?
Like decrease in fuel economy or something else?
Also what kind of prices would I get these 2nd hand tyres at?
Old 25th May 2011, 10:20   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any downsides to putting a bigger tyre?
Like decrease in fuel economy or something else?
Also what kind of prices would I get these 2nd hand tyres at?
My car gives between 11 and 12 kmpl with 100% ac on in traffic in Dilli and most of the trips are between 3 to 6 kms. On the highway again with ac on milage is around 14~14.5 kmpl at speeds between 80 ~ 100 kmph. You can compare these against your current figures. The exchanged tires themselves should be available @ 40% less price than their MRP.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:43   #357
BANNED

Quote:

Changed the tyres today on my Swift VXI-ABS. The OEM JK had run around 53000 kms in 4 years - there were still treads left for a couple of months but I changed in anyway (rains & 4 years old).

I got Goodyear Duraplus 165/80 R14. Paid 2900 per tyre. Got Phillips notebook USB Speakers free with this - SPA3251/10 Philips Notebook USB speakers SPA3251 - Philips Support

I checked prices at a few stores in Mulund & Bhandup - this was the lowest price I got - this is at the Supertyes in Sarvodya Nagar, Mulund opp the temple. The work was done at their branch in LBS Marg (opp Dominos/Vodafone). This was the only shop which was giving the Phillips speakers free. The others said that the offer is no longer on.
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:01   #358
BHPian

Better option would have been Michelin Energy XM1 + 185/70 R14.

It would cost around 4.4K but worth it.
This is my second set and my car (Swift VDI) has done 64.5K.

Regards
Iridium.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:06   #359
BHPian

I changed the stock tyres in my punto Active yesterday. From 14" JK in 165, moved on to 15" Yoko DB V550 (195 / 60 R15). The car had done 6500 kms till date. A fellow member sold me his Linea alloys.

Also replaced the spare 14" steel rim with 15" steel rim and put Yokohama A drive on it.

The total price came to 23000 for all the 5 tyres. managed to sell off all the 5 steel rims and stock rubber for a cool INR 8000/-.

Purchased the new tyres from Millivision marketing, Lalbagh road, bangalore. The owner Mr. Govind is a Gentleman to core and is very knowledgeable on what he sells.

I never imagined what change of rubber could do to the car..it is amazing now. superb grip and very low tyre noise. wet braking inspires confidence unlike before.

How the Yokos hold up, only time would tell. Initial impressions are very good though.

keep driving safe.

Last edited by vidyasagar : 3rd June 2011 at 14:08. Reason: add details on tyre profile
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:06   #360
BHPian

What is the lifespan of a tubeless tyre, how often one needs wheel alignment to undertaken inorder to avoid wear and tear of the tyre any idea guys. My OEM tyre on A Star is JK Vectra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks