Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:08   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasen View Post
Hi Sheel.. Good to read your post. I am using a CBR250 ABS version since April 2012, though I could only do about 1800 KMs on it (Same problem as yours :-). However I need some understanding from you on this Bike. May be there is something to blame on my riding srtyle but nevertheless I wanted some clarification.
:-)

Quote:
As rightly mentioned somewhere, I find the engine not at all responsive upto 3000rpm and even till 5000 RPM I don't feel that I am actually astride a 250CC, 25BHP, 23NM torque machine.

I had taken this bike on a 160 KM round trip from Kolkata to Bongaon which is a border town adjacent to Bangladesh. The road is single lane, with fairly well surface barring few potholes popping up here an there. The traffic is thick, crammed with people and overwhelming no of slow moving vehicles like motorized rickshaw vans, tempos etc. and there are always Jaywalkers and Cyclists.

I found the ride on the CBR quite challenging and physically demanding. I was absolutely disappointed with the response from the engine, the riding requires fast cut in and quick acceleration very frequently but space you get for such manoeuvres is extremely limited so your accelerations, breaking all need to be done between 30 and 50kmph. This is where the CBR disappointed. The bike was lacking power in this range as RPM was varying between 2000 - 5000 level. I could see smaller bikes in the 125CC to 150CC range doing a far better job in darting in and out and maintaining a much better average speed than my CBR 250. I never ever race and it's not about race but smaller capacity bikes, probably due to their strong low and mid range just stayed ahead and I huffed and puffed to keep pace with my friend who was riding a GS150 with his wife as pillion.
Sasen,

The CBR 250R is a big, heavy bike when compared to others at this price point. You can't thrust through traffic like a hot knife through butter (FZ, KTM, R15) on this.

The best part about the CBR (for you) is you don't have to take it to the upper regions of the power band to bring out the well bred horses. Try accelerating between 4,000 revs & 7,000 revs in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears and the surge would plaster a smile in your face.

Smaller bikes will always fare better in stop, go situations. Not really OT bit but two bikers had attempted Saddle Sore runs. One on the R15 and the other on the R1 (together). The R15 finished ahead.

Quote:
Also I have noticed that tolerance of the engine in correlation to speed and gear ratio is poor. The bike starts knocking in sixth gear the moment the speed drops below 50kmph in sixth and 40kmph in fourth gear. This was happening in abundance on this road and constantly shifting gears up and down proved to be quite a pain. In fact it requires so much involvement just to keep this moving to keep pace with the traffic around it got on my nerves.

Also the manoeuvring was bad, negotiating potholes in speed was bad and none of the bikes which I have used before (this is my 14th bike) including the Karizma had such bad flickability.

I am a sedate rider by nature and love to cruise along revelling into the torque flow rather than throttle ringing style of riding to whip out the power from the bike. I liked bikes where power comes in easy flow. Honestly I think next time I travel the same route I will take my Jive which is quite capable of cruising at 70 - 75KMPH and capacity to roll on in top gear at 30kmph with a nary a power loss and still can accelerate to 60KMPH within respectable time.
Now that the bike is with me I wanted to know if you face the same experience which I have. Is this normal or I have wrong expectations from the bike?
Also need some riding tips for such situations to make the experience better. I have ridden the bike on expressways and it is perfectly at home there, happily cruising at around 100KMPH. Nothing to complain about on expressways.
The 6th is an overdrive gear, meant purely for cruising & maximizing your FE. In short sprints, I have taken the bike to above 140kmph in 5th & it still had juice left in 5th. For speeds below 70, I don't think the ratios & gearing is such that it will support 6th at low speeds. You have to shift down.

Say the first takes you to around 50kmph, 2nd around 80 & 3rd goes above 100 (red-line). That poor 3rd can't handle speeds below 20 IMO. It will knock. If the revs fall below 3,500rpm, go down a gear.

Please don't get me wrong, you have to shift that way to move briskly, avoid knocking & keep a smooth pace. Gears are their for that purpose

Sasen, you have to live with that. That is a trait for riding a big bike (relative here). Could your Jive cruise @ 100kmph? No. Could the Jive be a better contender in the conditions you mentioned? Yes.

If you are going for pleasure rides, opt for smooth, traffic free road and enjoy the CBR.

CBR's turning radius is bigger than the Karizma, you have to get used to it. It won't be as nimble as the bikes are used to.

Ride this bike a bit more and please keep shifting. You may upshift on your will, but you got to downshift when revs fall. Knocking isn't good. Either for the engine, or the drive-train.

Please let me know if I could be of help somewhat and please do get back with your opinion, questions (repeat & new). I would be glad if I can be of help.

Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this normal or I have wrong expectations from the bike?
Pls go through this thread to understand as what you can expect from the bike. Note that this post is collective effort of several other CBR 250R owners - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html

This may help you to overcome any misconceptions, if you have any.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:59   #108
Team-BHP Support

I completely forgot about your thread Ganesh. Thanks for bringing it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Here are a couple of options ():
Got OE ones, though these aren't black, but kinda steel. Complements the clutch & brake lever well. Black wasn't available.
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:56   #109

Thank you so much Sheel for your detailed revert. All my doubts stand cleared now. I was kind of relieved to note that what I experienced is normal for CBR and I need to change my riding style, mindset and riding environment to exploite the full potential of the bike. I was little skeptical after spending 1.87 Lacs on it but your post was reassuring.. Thanks once again. If you are coming down to Kolkata do buzz me and we can meet up and chat. We met only once in Kolkata quite sometime back (I think 2006 maybe). I will PM you my no.

Cheers

Sagar
sasen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 12:29   #110
BHPian

Hi Sheel,
Need your help here, I have booked a CBR 250. But I find the bike very heavy and not as nimble as the CBR 150. Even while cornering I found the 150 more composed than the 250. I am guessing, "blame the suspension" here. I am inclined towards 150, bcos its much easier to drive, but my heart is on the 250. Need to know if I can do anything about stiffening the suspension or anything to make it behave like the 150 while cornering.
Also which one woule be better on Highways, and would the CBR 150 be good enough on the Highways.I and my friends are planning for Leh trip, some time next year, would the CBR 150 be good enough for the trip.
Please advise.

Pls excuse typos.

Last edited by RROD : 24th November 2012 at 12:43. Reason: Added some queries.
Old 25th November 2012, 14:31   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
Hi Sheel,
Need your help here, I have booked a CBR 250. But I find the bike very heavy and not as nimble as the CBR 150. Even while cornering I found the 150 more composed than the 250. I am guessing, "blame the suspension" here. I am inclined towards 150, bcos its much easier to drive, but my heart is on the 250. Need to know if I can do anything about stiffening the suspension or anything to make it behave like the 150 while cornering.
Also which one woule be better on Highways, and would the CBR 150 be good enough on the Highways.I and my friends are planning for Leh trip, some time next year, would the CBR 150 be good enough for the trip.
Please advise.

Pls excuse typos.
My 2 cents,
If you are looking for Highway running, then go for 250. The front suspension is to be blamed over here, as they are very soft, either you can change the oil and get it little stiffen or less, few third party accessories are available to stiffen the suspension.

Check my travelogue to Leh/Spiti on CBR250R.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-horizon.html

Also here is the link to my review on CBR250R
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...w-cbr250r.html
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 19:00   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
My 2 cents,
If you are looking for Highway running, then go for 250. The front suspension is to be blamed over here, as they are very soft, either you can change the oil and get it little stiffen or less, few third party accessories are available to stiffen the suspension.

Check my travelogue to Leh/Spiti on CBR250R.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-horizon.html

Also here is the link to my review on CBR250R
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...w-cbr250r.html
rk_sans, I have to say this here. Your leh trip travelogue is the culprit behind my itch to get a CBR 250. I have booked a bullet and have been waiting for over a year now. But after reading your Leh trip I changed my mind .
I think I will go for a couple of TD's before I take a final call.
Also CBR 250 is currently out of my budget, might have to wait for some more time before I decide to buy it.
but somehow the handling hasn't won by heart yet :(
RROD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:25   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you so much Sheel for your detailed revert. All my doubts stand cleared now. I was kind of relieved to note that what I experienced is normal for CBR and I need to change my riding style, mindset and riding environment to exploite the full potential of the bike. I was little skeptical after spending 1.87 Lacs on it but your post was reassuring.. Thanks once again. If you are coming down to Kolkata do buzz me and we can meet up and chat. We met only once in Kolkata quite sometime back (I think 2006 maybe). I will PM you my no.

Cheers

Sagar
You are welcome :-) I recall the name Sasen. Sagar? I know one Sagar Joshi @ Cal & think it is not you.

Look forward to meeting you whenever I land up. If coming towards North Bengal, let me know, we can catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
Hi Sheel,
Please advise.

Pls excuse typos.
Your sig suggests you had an R15 and the 150R won't be an upgrade at all. I am sure, the R15 would have been more reassuring to ride around.

I find the 250R good and when you factor in increased weight, wheelbase, things make sense. Yes it isn't nimble and the suspension should have been better (harder for corners) but it makes up by its glide-ability (ride).

You can stiffen the fork (cheaply) by adding a bit more fork oil than recommended but then I won't advise. You 'll get used to it.

Shall update tomorrow about service & cylinder replacement.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 22:42   #114
Team-BHP Support

Got everything completed & the bike is better than what it was on Day 1 No, I am serious.

Engine Oil, Filter changed.

Plug & Air filter, inspected & was found okay.

Injector & pump cleaned as it used to die while going down the 'box wile blipping. Well, it hiccups still as tank wasn't attended to, but a long ride shall reveal a bit more. (Tank was nearly dry hence was opted out)

Chain was adjusted, the bike was given a good wash & think that is it. Didn't require much attention.

Cost was Rs. 750 for oil & Rs. 260 for filter.

EDIT : Master cylinder replacement went smoothly as well. I had brought my own DOT 4 Motul, though workshop was providing DOT 3 oil. I feel absolutely no difference in braking. Though my brake oil reservoir holder had corroded due to over-fill, its back to shiny new now. Thanks Honda :-)

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2012 at 22:47.
Old 10th December 2012, 22:13   #115
Team-BHP Support

Okay, I am riding a bit (more than I used to in recent times) hence regular up-dates

While shifting through the gear-box (w/o clutch) the gear used to down shift on itself. Almost red-line up-shifts.

It never happened on any Motorcycle I owned/rode.

Spoke to few close friends and it was pointed out that a broken spring either in the rotor or shaft is causing it. Clutch cover would have to be opened, but not the gear-box.

Went to my mechanic and the issue didn't replicate itself, but still ordered few springs.

24651 - KRM - 840 SPRING, GEARSHIFT RETURN
24435 - KYI - 900 SPRING, DRUM STOPPER
22401 - KYJ - 711 - SPRING, CLUTCH

They should be here in a week to 10 days.

On my way back from the Honda ASC, it replicated again.

With clutch-in, there is absolutely no problem & it hits the red-line everytime in all 4 gears. Don't have the road to max out 5th.
Old 11th December 2012, 08:14   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I feel absolutely no difference in braking
This will improve ONLY WHEN...
1. The caliper kit is changed
2. The design of the pistons inside the caliper kit is changed
3. The brake pads are sintered

Verdict being Honda has to switch from BYBRE to Nissin or BYBRE has to rethink about their engineering. Until then we've to live with it.

But for sure DOT4 will improve the braking better than DOT3

Last edited by aargee : 11th December 2012 at 08:16.
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:49   #117
BHPian

Hey sheel. Ive been reading this thread for a while and this would be my first post.
I'm planning to book my CBR in April so I can have it delivered just in time when my exams get over. I have a question, you changed your oil after the first 100kms to mineral oil right? Did you change it back after the first service? And what was the original oil that came with the bike?
Thanks for your help and Cheers for the bike!
Old 23rd March 2013, 09:53   #118
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

I think I changed my oil at 40, 140 at 400 & then at service. I basically followed motoman's methods good parts & left out the ones not recommended by the manual.

I am really unsure as to what oil was in the crankcase while taking delivery. But which ever it is, it would be good to get rid of it.

This is what I followed while running-in
Quote:
I am sticking to this - "For the first 800km do not exceed 6000 rpm. Between 800km and 1600km travelled, ride more vigorously, vary speeds and twist the throttle fully for some short periods for best coupling of the components; do not exceed 9000 rpm."
Happy buying & best wishes for your exams
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 17:39   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonmathews View Post
.... And what was the original oil that came with the bike?..
Honda's 10W30 Fully synthetic engine oil (black can), IIRC. It's all covered in aargee's excellent thread (check 2nd post)-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 21:13   #120
BHPian

Yes sir, I have been reading that thread extensively and I'm preparing what all I need to check when I purchase the bike.
Quote:
I think I changed my oil at 40, 140 at 400 & then at service.
That often? I am aware that the oil has scrap parts(forgive me if the term's wrong) initially but I didn't know changing it in 100kms would be necessary. And all oil changes were mineral right?

Quote:
Happy buying & best wishes for your exams
Thanks a lot mate. Will update once I've bought it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks