Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 17:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki Access or Honda Activa for the Wife?

Guys, i need some help in purchasing Scooter for my Wife. She currently using Kinetic 4S which has hell lot of problems. Parts are also not available. So we need new scooter for her.

Wife is saying she wants Activa and i am inclined towards Suzuki Access. Which is better of these 2? Or something else is better than these two? I like Access as its a very good looking, stylish, smooth & heard that its more fuel efficient than Activa. Any BHPian can throw some light on this? Which is the best available scooter in market right now?
Old 1st November 2011, 17:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Access or Honda Activa? Or something else?

Do not buy a commuter-scooter without taking a test ride of the TVS Wego.

And - this is a very left-field suggestion - the Mahindra Flyte/Rodeo? I have heard they don't give very good mileage, but are very practical and good to ride.
Old 1st November 2011, 17:51   #3
BHPian

A friend of mine owns an Access and she is a little dissapointed with the fuel efficiency. Its a lot more fun to ride though, whereas the Activa is a tried and tested workhorse. We own one and I am surprised by the amount of abuse it can take. The downside though is the never ending waiting period of a new vehicle. Please check with your dealer for the same. Do check out the Wego too.
Old 1st November 2011, 17:52   #4
BHPian

One of my relative had a Honda Activa for daily commuting. She felt it a little heavy. And said it feel very wobbly if she had to go over the edge of road (shoulder space with mud, away from tarred surface) in heavy traffic, particularly on rainy days.

Since your wife used to Kinetic - 4S, Activa might feel heavier. Haven't rode Suzuki Access yet, but heard very favourable comments from friends. Why not ask her to do a TD?
Old 1st November 2011, 18:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

With the Activa, you will face an indifferent seller, mainly because it sells well. So delivery will take time, services will take appointments since there are 1000s waiting to service their Activas. Atleast this is the scenario in Kerala - the sales staff don't even bother talking.

Access, I felt was a good choice. I did read a thread on tbhp about someone who had a host of issues with his Access. One-off story maybe.

As KiloAlpha mentioned, do checkout the Wego - a promising choice in auto-scooters.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:12   #6
BHPian

Wego is great. In most cases, immediate delivery is available with many dealers. Due to the taller tyres, women who are less than 5' 2" may find Wego a bit tall. Might require some getting used to.

Performance wise, and quality - It is really good!
Old 1st November 2011, 18:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Access will be good choice. Its powerful and also has the suspension which is superior than Activa.

For your information, I own a Activa and not very much impressed with it.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

@rameshnanda, what is the Chennai city FE you get with the Activa ?

@rajeshsundaram, and what FE do you get with the Wego ?
Old 1st November 2011, 18:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@rameshnanda, what is the Chennai city FE you get with the Activa ?

I get around 35-40 KMPL. So bad isn't it?
Old 1st November 2011, 18:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

My new wego brought for my wife has clocked 7000 km in the past 6 months.

Speeds = 40-55 km/hr Fuel efficiency = 50-52kmpl when my wife drives

speeds = 55-80 km/hr Fuel efficiency = 40-45 kmpl when I drive

The fuel efficiency seems good, I don't know the efficiency of other scooters.

Only drawback being the smaller fuel tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Guys, i need some help in purchasing Scooter for my Wife. She currently using Kinetic 4S which has hell lot of problems. Parts are also not available. So we need new scooter for her.
You should be considering Wego which is a new platform all together.
Better fuel efficiency, looks, comfort, off the shelf availability were the deal maker for me when I brought wego
Old 1st November 2011, 18:31   #11
BHPian

Buy the Activa eyes closed if you can bear the waiting period. In some cities, the Swift Diesel will have a shorter waiting period than the Activa.

The other option you have is buying a Honda Aviator instead of the Activa. It comes with the option of a Front Disc brake (which I feel should be opted in the interest of safety) and has Telescopic front shocks similar to Wego and Rodeo (which is lacking in both Activa and Mahindra Duro) which gives it better ride quality than its sibling, the Activa.

Because it is priced slightly more than the Activa, it might have a lower waiting period.

FE wise, it will be Activa / Aviator > Wego > Access > Rodeo/Duro/Flyte

All of the above are very good products in their own right. The service woes of HMSI are present but I think it is still pretty much manageable in Pune.

Last edited by antz.bin : 1st November 2011 at 18:41. Reason: Correction made
Old 1st November 2011, 18:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Buy the Activa eyes closed if you can bear the waiting period. In some cities, the Swift Diesel will have a shorter waiting period than the Activa.

The other option you have is buying a Honda Aviator instead of the Activa. It comes with the option of a Front Disc brake (which I feel should be opted in the interest of safety) and has Telescopic front shocks similar to Wego and Rodeo (which is lacking in both Activa and Access) which gives it better ride quality than its sibling, the Activa.

Because it is priced slightly more than the Activa, it might have a lower waiting period.

All of the above are very good products in their own right. The service woes of HMSI are present but I think it is still pretty much manageable in Pune.
You are wrong. Access is equipped with the Telescopic front suspension. Another advantage of Access over Activa is that it is better powered and accelerates so well.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
You are wrong. Access is equipped with the Telescopic front suspension. Another advantage of Access over Activa is that it is better powered and accelerates so well.
Oops! My bad Correction made.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin
Are you sure about the FE rating ? I have no idea about the Mahindra scooters, but I doubt Activa/Aviator are leading the FE stakes. Atleast from what I have heard from Activa users. Also, given the Chennai figures given on this thread by users of Activa and Wego, I seem to think TVS is better. Not much info about Access available - don't seem to see too many of them on the roads.
Old 1st November 2011, 19:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for hijacking the thread aniketi.
Today my moms Jan 1996 Kinetic Honda DX engine got siezed while doing 60 Kmph on Sion-Panvel highway. I was riding it from Chembur to Vashi. It has happened for the second time in its life span.
So my brother and parents are vying for the change of it to Activa. Today inquired for it and it costs Rs. 52,xxx in Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
Another thing, if I you need ready delivery than you can have the Activa for Rs. 63,xxx. That is Rs. 11,xxx for of the shelf delivery.
The waiting period given is 8 months with no fixed date. Talk about cars waiting period.
Aviator is good from safety point of view, but it has fiber body that's what the dealer said.
Tomorrow mine old school Honda will be operated upon for its engine seizure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks