Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 16:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Thanks all.

john doe- since the silencer change was specifically done with acoustic pleasure in mind, I have not noticed/there doesnt seem to be any performance increase. There may have been a linearing out of torque from what I've noticed. The feel, on the other hand, is fantastic. The sound is a mature, deep, bassy thump. It demands people to take notice (in a nice way!).
Congrats on the beauty MAG, wishing you happy years of thumping to come.

Well here are few inputs that may be helpful to you after reading some of your queries.

1) The goldstar that's on your bike has baffles inside hence there won't be significant performance gain.

2) There is a delhi made goldstar (without baffles), it gives you much better performance, though it could effect your valves on the long run.

3) THE BEST COMBO THAT MY BIKE IS CURRENTLY RUNNING : Get a Megaphone (Rascal) Exhaust and K&N filter and watch your baby fly. The exhaust is available at Sans Auto, i could give you the details if you're interested.

4) Regarding tyres, the best combo i've come across after almost 2 decades of riding a bullet...well:

Front: Perilli 100/90 MT (19 inch)
Rear: Mitchelin Scrac 120/90 (18 inch)

This is the combo am using on my bike right now, and trust me, it's brilliant.

You'll have to change your rear rim to 18 inch though, but the change is well worth it.

5) About leaking oil...well....errrr....if a bullet does not leak oil, then it's not a bullet in the first place

Cheers!
Aadhitya

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2012 at 20:08. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
aadithsince1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 18:18   #17
BHPian

Congrats Mag,

I am in a big dilema over which bike need to replace my trusted 2004 Honda unicorn, which has given me a totaly trouble free ownership for 80K kms, which included frequent trips to kerala. And mileage was on or above 50kmpl.

My defult choice was Royal Enfield. But waiting period was a deal breaker for me. I considered honda again (Both my car and bike are Honda and I have trust in that brand). Your post made me go back to Bullet.

If you can advice me which one to go for-Clasic or TBTS? I am not looking at 500 cc options as mileage is high on priority. By any chance, do you work in or around ITPL?

PN
Old 31st January 2012, 18:47   #18
BHPian

Congrats MAG- That’s an awesome looking machine (I'm not a great fan of the thunder bird though I love the way it rides.) Ride safe

Cheers!
Binu
Old 1st February 2012, 04:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats again Mahesh & its good to see the Ownership finally

The Silver TB looks stunning & with your care I am sure its going to remain that way forever

Ride safe & keep us posted on your ownership experience.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Since the silencer change was specifically done with acoustic pleasure in mind, I have not noticed/there doesnt seem to be any performance increase. There may have been a linearing out of torque from what I've noticed..... Bike does not like surprise braking and the rear tries to step out. Need to look at a better tyre option sometime in the future.
Congrats MAG ,its a beauty. Although the one in red/maroon is my longterm crush, I did find that silver looks macho. My cousin has the same colour same year model.
And muffler looks very cool ( and think, its sounds hot!). Much better modification than other regular bottle types. I didn't understand 'linearing of torque' part though.
And regarding rear skidding, it might be because of the tyre size vs brake drum capacity. The 150mm brakes might be overkill for those skinny tyres.
Don't know the feasibility, but if the rim and tyre of CL350 can be fit on it, it may sort out the braking issue.
Old 1st February 2012, 11:04   #21
BHPian

Aah, my dream bike. Though I am a fan of the bullets, somehow their upward pricing is not so convincing. I might just wait for the TB 500, that is, if the waiting is less than an year!
Old 1st February 2012, 11:38   #22
BHPian

Heartly Congratulations MAG and welcome to the Royal Enfield enthusiasts group.

I am also one of the proud owners of "THE" Royal Enfield Electra 350 (with original Gear-Brake Pattern) from last 6 years now and therefore i can correlate with your felicity levels since i get this feeling even today while riding it. Regarding electric start, i am very much dissapointed with RE since for my bike it stopped working long back. However i believe there is no better feeling than kick starting this beast.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Anna Bullet Maggie finally an ownership thread and congratulations again. Looks like I was one of the few lucky guys to have spotted you with the RE in the campus. How does it sound with the goldie , feel the thump ?

Quote:
2010: my office was on the far side of Whitefield, which considering I live in Bangalore South, was always going to be a maniacal commute any way you looked at it. Tried out all commute options - office cab, Volvo, car. All of them had shortcomings. Then I decided to head to the Royal Enfield Brand Store to test ride their offerings towards an additional commute solution.
When have you actually made it a point to be in office regularly back then ?
Old 1st February 2012, 16:05   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks- again, for the appreciations folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
, kick start much before the signal is getting cleared ..
Thats what I have learnt to do for this situation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great looking bike, Maggie! Heartiest congratulations and hope she serves you well. If your Swift is anything to go by, I'm sure all that chrome will keep shining for years to come.
Thanks Rush. Come to think of it, a photoshoot of the Swift and the Thunderbird together sounds mighty interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
3) THE BEST COMBO THAT MY BIKE IS CURRENTLY RUNNING : Get a Megaphone (Rascal) Exhaust and K&N filter and watch your baby fly. The exhaust is available at Sans Auto, i could give you the details if you're interested.

4) Regarding tyres, the best combo i've come across after almost 2 decades of riding a bullet...well:

Front: Perilli 100/90 MT (19 inch)
Rear: Mitchelin Scrac 120/90 (18 inch)

This is the combo am using on my bike right now, and trust me, it's brilliant.

You'll have to change your rear rim to 18 inch though, but the change is well worth it.
Thanks for those valuable inputs. Do send me the contact details. Its always nice to have options to use .

I'll look at the tyres as a mid/long-term upgrade. I'm waiting to see what the Thunderbird 500 might come with and if that might be portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
If you can advice me which one to go for-Clasic or TBTS? I am not looking at 500 cc options as mileage is high on priority. By any chance, do you work in or around ITPL?
Welcome to the 350 cc club - in advance! I would say that its a personal choice - to decide between the TBTS/Classic. Do what I did - go with your heart - this option will not disappoint!

Yes, I used to work around the ITPL area then - which turned out to be boon since I would use the Carmelaram -> Varthur route that ensured my bike got a beautiful run-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
And regarding rear skidding, it might be because of the tyre size vs brake drum capacity. The 150mm brakes might be overkill for those skinny tyres.
Don't know the feasibility, but if the rim and tyre of CL350 can be fit on it, it may sort out the braking issue.
Possibly. I've managed to find out a way around the behaviour temporarily- lower PSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
How does it sound with the goldie , feel the thump ?
Do I FEEL the thump or do I FEEL the thump? That is the question!
Old 1st February 2012, 16:44   #25
BHPian

Thanks for those valuable inputs. Do send me the contact details. Its always nice to have options to use .

I'll look at the tyres as a mid/long-term upgrade. I'm waiting to see what the Thunderbird 500 might come with and if that might be portable.

Glad I'am of some help. Sans contact number is 96207 67393 (I'am posting the number directly on this thread so that it would come in handy for members on this forum ) Sorry, i can't recollect his name right now. Just give him a buzz, young and very helpful chap. They don't have a store as such in bangalore. But, he usually keeps stock of spares at his house (Behind Christ College). If he does not have stock, he'll get the stuff delivered to your house in three days (From Delhi).

The cost of the megaphone is 1250 bucks (Yes it's cheaper and better than the goldie)
aadithsince1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 21:43   #26
BHPian

@theMAG : A thing of beauty is a joy forever, and an Enfield truly lives up to this saying. I'm a Thunderbird owner for 9 years and it has kept me from buying a car until now.

Quick query : Where did you buy the Goldie from, and price?

And, the pics of your bike are stunning and have have re-ignited my passion for the aesthetics of this bike. Wishing you many years of happy and safe riding.
Old 1st February 2012, 23:30   #27
BHPian

Let me congratulate you first for the Thunder'Birdie. It surely is royalty to own a RE. RE was loosing its regular commuter until the Thunderbird came in its present form. It still is an enthusiast's bike, but many want to consider it now a days.

A travelogue from your side is surely pending. As far as RE is concerned, how are the parts holding up. and any signs of rust ( i have seen RE being very prone to rust). God bless with the ride. Enjoy keep munching miles.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mag on your new ride!

I am suddenly interested in buying a bike again and your bike has wound up the wick if you know what I mean.
Have used RX 100's, Shogun, an Activa as well. Gave up riding as I have a bad back. Riding an RX 100 for 4-5 days will cause me back pain.

I will be only using the bike on evenings or weekends and only for short distances. How is the ride quality on your bike? Mainly I mean suspension wise, is it back friendly?

Please advice.

Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamtiwana View Post
Quick query : Where did you buy the Goldie from, and price?
Rs. 1800. JC Road, first right after first signal. The Royal Enfield accessory store on the ground floor - below Sandhya Motors. Forgot name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
how are the parts holding up. and any signs of rust ( i have seen RE being very prone to rust).
No rusting so far atleast. I hope cheer that lasts for some time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
How is the ride quality on your bike? Mainly I mean suspension wise, is it back friendly?
You've heard of how some names are automatically associated with a quality; For instance, Switzerland = holiday?! Similarly Thunderbird = ride comfort. Its sofa-like seat, riding ergonomics and suspension setup all translate to a totally road-agnostic gliding experience. Fantastic ride comfort.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You've heard of how some names are automatically associated with a quality; For instance, Switzerland = holiday?! Similarly Thunderbird = ride comfort. Its sofa-like seat, riding ergonomics and suspension setup all translate to a totally road-agnostic gliding experience. Fantastic ride comfort.
Thanks mate!
That was my main area of concern, great choice of color too.

Now I am going to make the BOSS (wife) read your post, convince her and hopefully book the bike soon.

In Bombay the waiting period is 6 months, have to see if anything can be done to make it shorter as I do not want delivery during the rains for sure.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks