Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:08   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird

Congrats Mahesh on finally getting around to posting your ownership report of your lovely TB. What's the odo reading as of now?

My favorite color in TB is Silver and I never liked the Black and Red looks marginally better. But, Silver rocks !!!

Nice to see it very well maintained and do keep updating the report with your experiences.

Btw, let me ask you the quintessential query. Whats the mileage?
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Mahesh on finally getting around to posting your ownership report of your lovely TB. What's the odo reading as of now?

Btw, let me ask you the quintessential query. Whats the mileage?
Thanks mobike.

Current odo reading is around 7600 kms - including the mileage on the earlier meter.

Assuming all analog errors, mileage = 45 km/l +. The last I calculated, the figure I was left staring at was an all-time high of 48.5 km/l. I havent calculated since.

One query to you on another note: is your engine cold-start averse ? On days when the bike is washed, I notice that it takes some extra efforts from me to start my RE.
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

@ aadithsince1980 ; and you would need ear plugs Bike looks nice in silver than I thought; and of course good to see that you keep your ride neat.Damn waiting periods. Lets see how the TB500 is now.
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
One query to you on another note: is your engine cold-start averse ? On days when the bike is washed, I notice that it takes some extra efforts from me to start my RE.
Congrats Mahesh.I really like the silver colour Thunderbird.
Your query is the very response I have been waiting for all these years,which have stopped me from adding a RE TB to my stable.
As im am infrequent user of my bikes,I dont want to spend much effort on the cold starts.Im told the current RE TBs shouldnt face this problem.But since you have experianced it,I have again taken few steps back.
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:46   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even though the RE engineers and everyone else told me to start your bike for first time via. kick rod and not ES but, I simply dont adhere to that advice.

I start my bike ( sometimes once in 3-4 days) in morning using ES and it starts in my first thumb.

No problems with my electric start till date
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:59   #36
BHPian

Hi Mahesh

So finally you ended up with the TB. Though I like a 500 better every one to their own. Congrats on your new buy. I will be in Blr on Sunday. Would like to catch up.

About the goldie, as said by someone its the same shape as a BSA gLoldstar. Please check if it has baffles inside. Else you may have burnt valve seats. I know of a guy called Baljeet in Pune who is doing excellent silencers as I have friends who are using it.

Also, contact A2Z motorcycle superstore in Mumbai. Ask him for a set of LED spot lights. You will be amazed.

I am not convinced about the incline and no-start funda. Better get it checked. dose it overflow if the front is lower than the rear?

Last but not the least, do we you two at RM2013 at Shillong??????

Cheers

Kchatt
Old 4th February 2012, 00:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchatt View Post
About the goldie, as said by someone its the same shape as a BSA gLoldstar. Please check if it has baffles inside.

Also, contact A2Z motorcycle superstore in Mumbai. Ask him for a set of LED spot lights. You will be amazed.

I am not convinced about the incline and no-start funda. Better get it checked. dose it overflow if the front is lower than the rear?

Last but not the least, do we you two at RM2013 at Shillong??????
Nice hearing from you after a while. Call me on Sunday when you're here.

1. Help me understand this. My car has a free-flow exhaust, the Royal Enfield company upswept silencer for the Classic is a free flow exhaust, but the same aftermarket concept after is potentially unhealthy to the engine?

2. Do you have A2Z's contact? Google didnt help.

3. General observation: kick-start is more fool-proof than the ES. Lets discuss when we meet

4. Are you asking if we can do a ride to Shillong? If you can help me solve the 1-hour-numb-butt syndrome, I can consider !
Old 4th February 2012, 23:23   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I dont want to spend much effort on the cold starts.Im told the current RE TBs shouldnt face this problem.But since you have experianced it,I have again taken few steps back.
Perhaps I should have phrased my post better there. There is no cold-start problem on these UCEs - mine starts religiously in the 1st or 2nd kick. Its just that when the bike has been washed - and the metal temperature lower on the engine, it might require 3/4 kicks to start. Thats about it.
Old 4th February 2012, 23:45   #39
BHPian

A question to TB guys : What is the redlined RPM in the TBTS tachometer ?
What is the maximum speed achievable in Ist gear (ofcourse in a bike that has done the running in)

Regards Adrian
Old 4th February 2012, 23:52   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Do you have A2Z's contact? Google didnt help.
A2Z Motorcycle Superstore | Facebook

I personally find the stock headlight setup with a halogen more than adequate.
But a couple of riders have added these LED's and they are happy.
Old 5th February 2012, 11:54   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
A question to TB guys : What is the redlined RPM in the TBTS tachometer ?
What is the maximum speed achievable in Ist gear (ofcourse in a bike that has done the running in)
6500 rpm is the tacho redline. I really havent attempted to check the top speed in 1st gear though - although I'm sure that will be an acoustic spectacle ! During cruising at 80 kmph, the engine is lazily ticking away at around 2500 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A2Z Motorcycle Superstore | Facebook

I personally find the stock headlight setup with a halogen more than adequate.
But a couple of riders have added these LED's and they are happy.
I am satisfied with the Philips Extreme 55/60 W upgrade myself - illumination is comparable to 90/100.

I saw those LED lights in your RM travelog pics. My usage will never warrant anything extreme on the Thunderbird.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 22:11   #42
BHPian

Nice bike Mr. Mahesh. I'm also a proud owner of an RE TBTS black... 2011 Sept model. just a few questions..
1. Did you change the wiring when you changed the headlamp bulb?
2. Have you put a K&N filter or just changed the exhaust?
3. Did you change the wiring for the new horn?
4. Any contacts for the exhaust in Coimbatore?

regards,
dr. ramakrishnan
Old 6th February 2012, 13:34   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Dr. Ramakrishnan. Responses below:

1. No wiring change. The TB comes with wiring for 55/60 W itself. But merely for market differentiation with their 500cc offerings, they chose to fit a 35 W bulb on the TB. So, its a simple bulb replacement to 55/60W.

2. No. Stock filter. Unlike my Swift, the Thunderbird will not see too many mechanical upgrades.

3. As is standard practice for upgrading to dual horn, a cutout is made to sit in between the company wiring and the dual horns, for power management reasons.

4. Sorry. No contact for exhausts in Coimbatore.
theMAG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 14:24   #44
BHPian

Congrats on owning the Birdie!! Am sure that earlier than later you will be on the wide open highways cruising!!
I own a Mach 500 and I too have a moody ES. I too used to keep my engines running to avoid being stalled/ embarrassed in signals but one day I found out by chance that if you rock your bike back and forth a bit, the ES kicks up presto! Please let me know if it works for you too.
Happy Thumping!

Last edited by madhkris : 7th February 2012 at 14:26. Reason: Typo
Old 7th February 2012, 17:25   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. But I still cant fathom why a motorbike's electric start cant be as seamless as a car's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks