Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2012, 08:55   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Seat work + new Hella horns + labor cost Rs 3700.

There was a C350 modified with a larger tank, matt black paint job and exquisite seat work. I was very impressed with that outcome to the point where I am wondering if I should have my Thunderbird personalised in a similar manner. But, that will be a future project after I get bored with the stock aesthetics!
Old 1st July 2012, 20:42   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird

After seeing the Avenger thread and now your's, I feel like heading out and getting a sofa-set bike for myself I know it's crazy, I already have a very nice bike; but somehow that silver colour on your Thunderbird looks so inviting... It's too late to say congrats, but still, for your bike; Congrats!! I won't ask you the mileage, but what about the regular maintenance costs? And have you planned any big trip(s) anytime?

Quote:
The brand store gave a standard 8-months ETA.
So much waiting period? that they can't keep up with the demand?!! I thought REML bikes were available off the shelf anytime.
Old 1st July 2012, 20:45   #93
Senior - BHPian

I visited the Enfield showroom today hoping for a test ride, but was told to drop in on a week day! The waiting period for TBTS is six months.
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:34   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
It's too late to say congrats, but still, for your bike; Congrats!! I won't ask you the mileage, but what about the regular maintenance costs? And have you planned any big trip(s) anytime?

I thought REML bikes were available off the shelf anytime.
1. Thanks-never too late to congratulate !
2. I've mentioned mileage figures earlier in this thread: ~ +45 kmpl
3. Touchwood, it's proven to be a fill-it-shut-it-forget-it bike till now, with only the regular servicing costs.
4. I had once done a continuous BLR-Mysore round trip just for the heck of it. I was told by a friend that a Bullet group he is part of might be planning a weekend ride shortly to Bandipur. I plan to go if that materializes.
4. Ever since the UCEs came, REs are no longer available off-the-shelf. I attribute to a combination of genuine demand-supply gap AND intentional premium creation by RE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I visited the Enfield showroom today hoping for a test ride, but was told to drop in on a week day! The waiting period for TBTS is six months.
They were supposed the have added a 2nd production facility a year ago. Not sure if that has happened. Like I indicated above, I think it's an intentional supply gap that RE is enforcing to create a premium for their bikes.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:30   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

The news release I found concerning the expansion of the Royal Enfield manufacturing plant said (in 2011) the plant was scheduled to be in operation by the end of the first quarter, 2013.

Production is supposed to increase from approx. 74,000 per year to 150,000 per year for a 100 percent increase.

One of the newest stories I could find was in Rhttp://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/20/india-royalenfield-idUSL3E8EJ9C920120420euters.

Unfortunately I couldn't fine information concerning the current status of the new construction.

As for the exports, my information says that over 90 percent of the current production is kept in India as they try to meet demand.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 18:44   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Seat work + new Hella horns + labor cost Rs 3700.

There was a C350 modified with a larger tank, matt black paint job and exquisite seat work. I was very impressed with that outcome to the point where I am wondering if I should have my Thunderbird personalised in a similar manner. But, that will be a future project after I get bored with the stock aesthetics!
I had been to this shop last weekend, owner was not there so spoke to him over the phone, he quoted 2500 for the seat work which is too high for me (also have not seen the quality of the material in person) went to my regular seat shop half a km from there on the post office main road (opp Subway) saw a similar material there felt that it would attract a lot of dust and got another material stitched in half an hour paid 300rs and left.

The shop overall felt like DTW or similar garages in Bangalore, saw two bikes in matt finish paints (mostly black) one CBR looked stunning.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:09   #97
Senior - BHPian

I did the TD a couple of days ago. Not much, one KM up the road and down again. Was able to reach top gear and do 70+ within that though. It was a new TD bike but the exhaust sounded thunderous in my ears! Is that normal for this bike? Could not comment on the seating geometry in such a short ride, but seemed ok to me. Don't know if keeping the hands raised on the handle bars for long will be tiring?

Seems to be best for only relaxed speeds on the highways - say around 80. And one more question; has the oil leakage problem been laid to rest finally with the UCE? I still see quite a few complaints in this regard on the web.
Old 9th July 2012, 14:13   #98
BHPian

There is absolutely no Oil leakage in the UCE. Mine is just about to complete 3 years and I had to replace the Oil seal only once.
Old 9th July 2012, 14:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

^^Replaced an oil seal within three years? Which oil seal had to be replaced and when was this done?
Old 9th July 2012, 15:03   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

No oil leakage problems whatsoever after the intial reseating of the oil-level window. However, being RE, it is best to keep an eagle eye for any oil leaks on a brand new bike during delivery itself.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:11   #101
BHPian

Quote:
No oil leakage problems whatsoever after the intial reseating of the oil-level window. However, being RE, it is best to keep an eagle eye for any oil leaks on a brand new bike during delivery itself.
Agreed. I doubt whether UCEs inherited this oil leakage attribute from ancestors.

Does your ride experience a clitter-clatter while idling? Mine's a 2010 TBTS regularly serviced at Indiranagar TEKNIK done about 9000kms. The bike was idle for about 3 months. What do you suspect could be causing this? I miss the old smooth whooshing sound..
Old 17th July 2012, 18:59   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

I think all REs have an inherent audible piston sound. Not sure if the sound you mentioned is this/piston slap. A service/engine oil change should help generally.

Last edited by theMAG : 17th July 2012 at 19:01.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 22:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I think all REs have an inherent audible piston sound. Not sure if the sound you mentioned is this/piston slap. A service/engine oil change should help generally.
Thanks theMAG !

Ironically, I ended up with a broken clutch cable this evening and just got back home after having to push the silversteed for about 3kms. Need to get that fixed tomorrow.
Old 17th July 2012, 22:39   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Thanks theMAG !

Ironically, I ended up with a broken clutch cable this evening and just got back home after having to push the silversteed for about 3kms. Need to get that fixed tomorrow.
You must always carry a spare cable and learn how to change it.....it is an easy process once you know it. 3 kms is not a problem, but imagine towing your vehicle on a lone strech of road
Old 18th July 2012, 08:43   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree. Clutch, accelerator cables and a spare tube are generally the insurance needed for REs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks