Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 19:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Royal cruising: My 2011 Enfield Thunderbird

dear mahesh,
Is the headlamp bulb the same H4 model that is available for cars?
Regards
Ramakrishnan
Old 11th February 2012, 12:02   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes Dr Ramakrishnan. They are the same universal H4 connectors. Hence the reason I was able to directly fit the Philips Extreme.
Old 12th February 2012, 09:38   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally. Our house getting repainted turned out to be an unlikely catalyst for my first long ride on the Thunderbird last night - was feeling shackled sitting at home on a Saturday supervising the painting work, and post-dinner, decided that a long ride was needed for breaking those shackles!

Left by 1030 pm for a roundabout run to Mysore (also swallowing my earlier apprehensions on Mysore Road). Turned back just before Mysore, for a continuous run back to home by 130 am. No stops.

The weather was perfect, and surprisingly so was the traffic on that road.

As I got to know my Thunderbird better with this ride, I have nothing but immense respect for this bike. Highly confidence-inspiring highway machine, with exemplary cruiser ergonomics. This bike is meant for long-distance cruising.

By the end of this ride, with the Thunderbird thumping away without missing a beat (pun), a feeling about this bike became entrenched : eternal.
theMAG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 23:02   #49
BHPian

Could anyone please compare the ride comfort of standard bullet/ electra/classic Vs that of TB?

As far as looks are concerned, I like the looks of good old bullet and I feel like buying it. But ride comfort is of primary importance.

Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 10:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8090guy View Post
Could anyone please compare the ride comfort of standard bullet/ electra/classic Vs that of TB?

As far as looks are concerned, I like the looks of good old bullet and I feel like buying it. But ride comfort is of primary importance.

Thanks

IMO Bullet Standard & Bullet Electra are way more comfortable than the newly launced classics.

The Thunderbird is and always been at the top of the list where comfort is concerned.

Mag, wonderful description of your ride. will be following this thread closely for your long term experience with this lovely machine. Your photographic skills are great and will love to see more.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl
The Thunderbird is and always been at the top of the list where comfort is concerned
Rightly said! The sofa like wide seat is a real joy to sit and ride on for hundreds of miles without much fatigue. TB wins hands down in that department.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 19th February 2012 at 12:21.
Old 19th February 2012, 23:33   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8090guy View Post
Although I personally havent experienced the Standard/Electra/Classic's long-ride comfort, I had a friend who recently did an Ooty run in his Classic Chrome - his first long-ride. Subsequent to his return back to BLR, he was out of commission for 2 days due to back pain. I dont know if thats because of extraneous factors or if the Classic's seat is uncomfortable for longer rides.

On my Thunderbird, I must admit I havent had a pain/back pain of any sort- even during the 3-hour nonstop ride I've detailed above. Although, I do get a sore posterior beyond 1 hour of continuous riding: which probably is a common phenomenon during continuous riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Mag, wonderful description of your ride. will be following this thread closely for your long term experience with this lovely machine. Your photographic skills are great and will love to see more.
Thank you. More pictures will follow with the number plate conversion to the high-security type done recently!

Last edited by theMAG : 19th February 2012 at 23:36.
Old 19th February 2012, 23:41   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I had a friend who recently did an Ooty run in his Classic Chrome - his first long-ride.
The answer is in your question. It was his first long ride.

For Rider Mania, the line up of bike from my group included
500 CI,
350 CI,
CL 500,
AVL TB's
Old 1st March 2012, 14:49   #54

Re: Royal cruising: Thunderbird 2011

Quote:
The bike:

Modifications:

The following must-do changes were planned.

Headlight bulb: changed to Philips Extreme 55/60 W from the sad 35 W OEM bulb.
hi, you have penned your thoughts nicely and expressed your love of bikes..... can you please tell me whether the Philips Extreme 55/60 would fit for old RE Bullet Standard 350 (1988 Model). Currently i have regular Halogen 55/60. thinking it would be good to go for something bit better/brighter. It would also be helpful if you let me know where can i get this bulb from and how much.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:58   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal cruising: Thunderbird 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetzLover View Post
can you please tell me whether the Philips Extreme 55/60 would fit for old RE Bullet Standard 350 (1988 Model)
Headlight bulbs are holder-specific, and not model-specific. Most vehicles have the standard H4 connector. Since you already have a 55/60 halogen, it should be a direct replacement.

Quote:
Currently i have regular Halogen 55/60. thinking it would be good to go for something bit better/brighter.
Philips Extreme/Osram Silverstar etc should serve your purpose of retaining 55/60 W bulbs but at higher illumination

Quote:
It would also be helpful if you let me know where can i get this bulb from and how much.
Any car accessory store really. I picked up mine from Konarks, JP Nagar East End main road.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

Any idea why the 220 struggles so hard to get thru' the water despite being light and powerful?

Old 24th March 2012, 11:09   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Would its lighter weight have worked against traction in this particular situation?

On another note, the acuteness of a constraint I had highlighted earlier with the company service station came to light recently, when I had called them up to book a slot for my Thunderbird's first paid service/5th service.

I was given a slot exactly 16 days from the date I called. I called up on Mar 12, and am awaiting my slot assigned for Mar 28 !

Royal Enfield- if you are watching, this constraint is not beneficial and has to be addressed on priority.

Last edited by theMAG : 24th March 2012 at 11:24.
Old 30th March 2012, 15:16   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the bike back from her first paid service yesterday. Very reasonable labor cost of Rs 350.

General service + oil change + wheel balancing(both) = Rs 1320.

Personally very satisfied with the work - good job RE, although overheard that some other customer was threatening court action over what I gather was undone service items - including correcting a bent fork.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Got the bike back from her first paid service yesterday. Very reasonable labor cost of Rs 350.

General service + oil change + wheel balancing(both) = Rs 1320.

Personally very satisfied with the work - good job RE, although overheard that some other customer was threatening court action over what I gather was undone service items - including correcting a bent fork.
Good to hear some good feedback regarding RE service. May I know which service center is this?

Also, did you have to wait this long during the free service as well?

It is usually 1 day advance booking.

Is wheel balancing for motorcycles same as wheel truing? I am looking for a good place to get my wheels back in true.
Old 30th March 2012, 17:22   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

1. The direct company service station behind Shoppers Stop, Bannerghatta Road.

2. No - free services were almost instantaneously fulfilled. In fact, not being used to this "slot booking" system, I had ridden into the service station without any booking and still had the free services honored.

After this waiting experience for the paid service, I am of the opinion that RE have a policy of prioritizing warranty services first.

3. Yes- its the same as wheel truing. The service station gets it done - quite convenient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks