Team-BHP - Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Motorcycle Tyres : Compared! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/120107-motorcycle-tyres-compared-20.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 3232930)
The Sirac Street seems like I'm riding on a 'ridge'. That's the best way I can put it. It seems unstable, yet it's not really. Confusing, I know.

Happy to report that the 'riding on a ridge' sensation has gone. Either I've gotten used to the tyre or the tyre itself has 'bedded in', or something like that. All in all, the Sirac Street has been a good tyre upgrade for my P180.

Guy's, i own an Avenger 180 which is about 8 years old has done some 28K on the odo the stock MRF's have done a good job till date but has hardened considerably i guess due to my useage pattern, i would like to replace the tire's for my bike and my confusion is that should i stick to MRF zapper's or is their any other superior option available in the market?

Need urgent help please peeps.

I ride an RE T bird 2004 model n need to change both tires as of yesterday. It runs 19 inch rims. The fattest rear tyre it would accommodate is 110. I'm frantically searching for an appropriate set but am hitting wall after wall. My requirements:

- super grippy rubber, meant for cornering. Do not care for tyre life. Am happy if it lasts 10k
- would not like to go lower than 100 width for the rear. Front needs changing as well. Do not want to go for the rib type tyre.
- rim size 19 inches
- if at all possible please suggest the approx cost of recommended tires n where I could source them in Delhi.

I have contacted multiple tire dealers in Karol bagh but no one seems to stock 19 inchers anymore. Am speaking to a ceat dealer about secura sport (only 3.25 width available. )

Tx for ur time guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3244650)

I ride an RE T bird 2004 model n need to change both tires as of yesterday. It runs 19 inch rims. The fattest rear tyre it would accommodate is 110. I'm frantically searching for an appropriate set but am hitting wall after wall. My requirements:

- super grippy rubber, meant for cornering. Do not care for tyre life. Am happy if it lasts 10k
- would not like to go lower than 100 width for the rear. Front needs changing as well. Do not want to go for the rib type tyre.
- rim size 19 inches
- if at all possible please suggest the approx cost of recommended tires n where I could source them in Delhi.

I have contacted multiple tire dealers in Karol bagh but no one seems to stock 19 inchers anymore. Am speaking to a ceat dealer about secura sport (only 3.25 width available. )

Tx for ur time guys!

Hi @Urban_Nomad

Have you tried MRF dealers for MRF Meteor (rear tyre), which is available in 110/90-19 size. For the front you can go for Zapper FM (size - 90/90-19). IMO these should cost around Rs.3000 (maybe bit upwards for 19 inchers).

Even I plan to upgrade to these on my brother's '10 TB in a year or so.

PS: I am pretty happy with the superior grip of the MRF Mogrip range (using a MOTO-D on my P150), & the nose diving trait of Pulsar is reduced a lot because of the better grip at back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARDEEP (Post 3245339)
Hi @Urban_Nomad

Have you tried MRF dealers for MRF Meteor (rear tyre), which is available in 110/90-19 size. For the front you can go for Zapper FM (size - 90/90-19). IMO these should cost around Rs.3000 (maybe bit upwards for 19 inchers).

Even I plan to upgrade to these on my brother's '10 TB in a year or so.

PS: I am pretty happy with the superior grip of the MRF Mogrip range (using a MOTO-D on my P150), & the nose diving trait of Pulsar is reduced a lot because of the better grip at back.

Thanks Cardeep!

I spoke to a dealer in Dwarka who said he will have 110 90 19 coming in tomorrow morning and I can check those out. Its some MRF tyre. I time and again clarified that the tire first needs to be grippy and then all else follows. He could not give me too many details as he was apparently quite busy (seems to be the case almost every time I contact him).

Will pen down further details soon. In the meantime; if anyone has further suggestions please do let me know. I will probably check out the tyre on Wednesday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3244650)

I ride an RE T bird 2004 model n need to change both tires as of yesterday. It runs 19 inch rims.
- rim size 19 inches

Tx for ur time guys!

The best tires for grip as well as life were the MRF Meteor and CEAT Secura Sport both of which are out of production AFAIK. The Secura Sport is available in 3.25 now which is of no use since you are looking at wide profile.
There is Pirelli MT60 for 19 inches which provides amazing grip, but is again on the thin side. I am not sure if they are available in Delhi.
Best option would be Dunlop JAPs for you. 3.25 front and 3.50 back. Both are button thread designs. You will need to check with users how good they are since I used them years ago and wore out quite fast.

Regards

MRF Meteors are still being made and they cost RS. 2200 here in Pune. On the other hand, it is a tyre for rough roads, being almost puncture proof. Grip, not so good.
Try some Michelin or Pirelli tyre .

^^ Which one? Have heard good feedback about Michelin M45. Is it available in the tyre sizes I have mentioned above? Is the Pirelli Sport Demon available in 19 inches?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARDEEP (Post 3245339)
Hi @Urban_Nomad

Got the tires replaced today.

Rear - mrf meteor. Has a sirac type "pineapple skin" pattern. The rubber did not seem to be super soft but not hard either. In comparison my very old tyre (kings) seemed rock hard, given its age. Size 110 90 19

Front - mrf zapper fm. Rubber compound seems slightly harder than the rear. Size 90 90 19

Initial impression:

Too early to be talking grip levels. I've barely ridden the bike 2 Kms post the install. It was raining though and there was no slippage. Admittedly I was not pushing it at all. However, I did lock up the front wheel (knowingly and at very low speed) and the front did lose a bit of traction n skidded sideways. The road was quite wet n was grimy too. But I ll reserve my comments till I have clocked at least 100 Kms.

Paid a total of rs 4600 (2500 rear + 2100 front)

Will keep you all posted. Thanks to everyone who took time to respond to my queries.

If you can source a Michelin M45, nothing like it. Excellent grip . Been using a combination of M45(2.75 * 18 ) for the front and Sirac street (3.00 * 18 ) on my CBZ extreme for over 13k km and no complaints yet except for the fact that cornering will get some time to used to given the block pattern of Sirac street.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3249554)
Got the tires replaced today.

Rear - mrf meteor. Has a sirac type "pineapple skin" pattern. The rubber did not seem to be super soft but not hard either. In comparison my very old tyre (kings) seemed rock hard, given its age. Size 110 90 19

Front - mrf zapper fm. Rubber compound seems slightly harder than the rear. Size 90 90 19

MRF Meteor is a good tyre, grip as well as good stability and lasts long.
I have been using one for around 30k kms now and the thread looks still good.
Only one problem, as the tire is being used, the width of the tire tends to increase and the sidewall ends up rubbing on the swingarm. Shouldn't be a problem on the TB.
I have a 96 500 on which I was using this first and over time, it started rubbing the swing arm,after which I shifted it to my 02 Electra which has a wider swing arm and runs fine.
Should start hunting for this model in Bangalore as I thought they are out of production.

Regards

Boys,

The rear tyre on my R15 2.0 will be due for replacement next month.
The Revz-S has lasted for ~30,000 kms and I am very satisfied with it.

However, I was planning to get tail tidy done, and hence wish to get a 140 section rather than the OEM 130. (So that it looks better with the tail tidy)

Request you to suggest a tyre which would satisfy me as much as the Revz-S did.

The first page talks about Conti Go & MRF Zapper C with the 140 section; since the Conti Go gets a no from almost everybody and the Zapper C looks very Pulsar, what are my options?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 3249576)
MRF Meteor is a good tyre, grip as well as good stability and lasts long.
I have been using one for around 30k kms now and the thread looks still good.
Only one problem, as the tire is being used, the width of the tire tends to increase and the sidewall ends up rubbing on the swingarm. Shouldn't be a problem on the TB.

Happened to read a little on this "tyre flattening" phenomenon. Mostly happens with soft compund (sportbike tyres) tyres. If one tends to ride mostly in straights and does not lean the bike much during cornering; the tyres develop this flatness given the soft rubber & extended pressure on the center.

Solutuion - Corner; corner HARD & do it often :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3250290)
Happened to read a little on this "tyre flattening" phenomenon. Mostly happens with soft compund (sportbike tyres) tyres. If one tends to ride mostly in straights and does not lean the bike much during cornering; the tyres develop this flatness given the soft rubber & extended pressure on the center.

Solutuion - Corner; corner HARD & do it often :D

Should happen more so on hard compound tire over time since even with cornering, the wear on the sides will be less and most of the time the centre part of thread is in constant contact , this happens.
I noticed this on the MRF Nylogrip and now the Meteor. Both are hard compound.
It hasn't occurred on the Pirelli MT60 which is 100/90 and is very soft compound.
Mainly will depend on the width of the tire.

Guys I want to change the rear tyre of my Yamaha Gladiator as its getting puncture again and again and gone a bit bald too. I want a tyre which gives best cornering grip coz I have fell twice slipping while cornering wet road, even on dry roads the grip looses.
I don't mind cost, low tyre life, low mileage etc but it should grip well. Please advice.
Tyre size is 3.00 - 18
Thanks