Team-BHP - Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Motorcycle Tyres : Compared! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/120107-motorcycle-tyres-compared-21.html)

So the rear Continental on my CBR250R is worn out at 10500 kms!! That's a big negative considering that it wasn't a grippy tyre. I'm looking for new rear tyre for my bike but I can't narrow down on anyone.

The thing is that Pirelli Sport Demons are not in the market, some ISI certification issue. Michelin's are not available at the local dealer. He says that they don't have bike tyres for the Indian market. I doubt that. So, I'm left with either Zapper Q, Zapper S or Rev Z. All from MRF. Which one should I install? I want grippy tyre, nothing more.

Moderator note: Post EDITED. Please avoid Quoting entire large post for short reply. Strongly suggest you to go through the https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announcements/ before proceeding further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 2767237)
Mods: There is no tyre thread for motorcycle tyres.I felt if will be helpful for others who want to change the tyres on their bikes so that they can choose better ones available in the market.Kindly make this as a sticky.
==========

It can convert a normal street bike into a corner craving SBK :)

Ride Safe

Hello. Nice piece of infi regarding tyres there. Can you tell me some good tyres for bigger size. like 200mm wide cruiser tyres. and a place to get themplease:. thank you

Dear Friends,
I own a Thunderbird TBTS 350 (March 2012, not the current model which was launched towards end of 2012).

I wish to move to tubeless tires. I can get Rado/Prado rims pair for Rs. 6000. The issue is of rim sizes. 19-19 (like stock) is difficult to procure. 19-18 is the easily available pair. Another option offered was 18-18.

I am inclined to go for 19-18 like the new Thunderbird, but would really appreciate any help evaluating the choices.

19-18 :
1. I _really_ like the riding stance of Thunderbird. Many other bikes I have ridden caused me backache or leg cramp even for ~50km drives, but thankfully not so on TBTS. I wouldn't want to mess it up.
2. Later on, I wish to fit disc break on the rear wheel as well. Would going to 18" rim create any issues (add to cost, complexity)? In rims, is there any differentiation between disc/drum brake rims?
3. Going by the opinions read so far, smaller rim results in bike loosing some of the top-end. Can anyone help with specifics? i.e. How much (in kmph or percentage) will be lost? I am happy to take up sprocket upsizing later on, but would like to avoid as much as possible.
4. Are there any other advantages with 19-18, like improved handling, reduced weight etc.?

19-19 :
Besides pain to acquire, there is no apparent downside. As close to stock as possible.

18-18 :
It follows the stock logic of having same size rims on both tyres, but somehow it doesn't feel right. Will result in shorter bike, lower ground clearance. The riding posture should not be affected as the relative position remains the same. But I am not sure and would like to invite opinions.

Moderators, I found other threads discussing possible mods to TBTS, tyre upgrades, Machismo height and tyre related threads, but felt that no thread discusses on the lines I wish to. But please feel free to merge/move this post. I really appreciate the zest with which forums are maintained. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquilab28 (Post 3142600)
Surprising, My Dunlop 350 19 inch came with my 2009 Electra and it gave a very decent 38000 kms. It looked good for another 5k but had to change because of the puncture that I had (a 2 inch glass piece had got pierced into the tire) and replaced to a MRF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 3142612)
Mine was a 02 Electra and the Dunlops back then were a sorry affair. The ones later which had bigger buttons on the thread were much better I heard.
My next replacement would be that and hopefully it would be as good as the CEAT Secura Sports in terms of grip.

My Dunlop 3.50 - 19 (rear) gave me 17,000 km and have just got them replaced last week. These 17k km include 7 long distance trips of an average of 300 km each with a pillion rider at the back in each one of them. Went for the Dunlop again for my TBTS. Planning to go for the 3.25 - 19 (front) ribbed Dunlop also next month.

I like the softer nature of them when compared to MRF. The only other OEM available for the TBTS.

Any idea where one can source a pirelli sport demon 110/70/17 Front tyre in any of the following locations ?

Bangalore
Pune
Mumbai

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKis (Post 3266127)
Any idea where one can source a pirelli sport demon 110/70/17 Front tyre in any of the following locations ?

Bangalore
Pune
Mumbai

Cherry Agencies, JC Road and Jayanagar, Bangalore
Current price: 4200 INR+

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgo (Post 3264442)

I like the softer nature of them when compared to MRF. The only other OEM available for the TBTS.

I agree on the softer nature part. But MRF 3.5 looks a better tire. Also suits the Bull. I have also heard that it lasts a long time too. This 3.5 is the most6 common bull rear tire I have come across at least in Hyd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by preetam_KORG (Post 3268157)
Cherry Tyres, JC Road and Jayanagar, Bangalore
Current price: 4200 INR+

They dont have the 110/70/17. but they do have the 110/80/17..which should do for me as well. But they have quoted me a price of 4800!! Did the tyre prices go up recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKis (Post 3271558)

They dont have the 110/70/17. but they do have the 110/80/17..which should do for me as well. But they have quoted me a price of 4800!! Did the tyre prices go up recently?

I have no idea of current prices. Ideally it shouldn't be that high. Lets Gear Up, HSR has the PSDs in 140/70 section for the price you've been quoted bro.

Got the front tyre changed from IRC to Michelin Pilot Sporty on my Pulsar 200F last month. Have covered approx 500 kms after that, very happy with the road grip it provides, thus planning to change the rear one too next month. Currently rear is a Dunlop Tuff Grip, not very happy with the grip in wet conditions. The Michelin looks better too. stupid:

Front : 90/90-17
Rear: 120/80-17

Main question on my mind is, what are the pros and cons of upgrading the rear one to a wider 130 ? Or is it advisable to stick to the standard 120 ? Please provide your valuable inputs.

Folks , the front Zapper C (2.75-17) on my Pulsar 150 has about 20k on it right now. Lately, I feel like the front is going over small pebbles even on relatively smooth surfaces, making the ride quite "knobbly" upfront. This is only at low speeds though, and at regular speeds I havent noticed anything. Visual inspection reveals no imperfections on the tyres , except a crack all around in the center recess of the tyre. I can post a pic if that helps. There is still a good amount of tread left (visually). Do you guys think the tyre is gone and needs replacement ?
The rear has similar KMs on it and I sometimes feel like its tramlining. Should that be replaced too ?
My usage is low (<400 kms a month) , ridden two up (me and the missus) to potter about town only. Considering that, I dont want to spend too much on replacing both the front and the rear (100/90) tyres. What are my options ?

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

I am looking for new front and rear tyres for KTM 390 duke that can take on mud, gravel and paved roads. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone one on the forum for your contributions.

Guy's need urgent help please please:

I own Pulsar 180 for last 6 years now. Done almost 45 K kms on that till now. Need to change rear tire immediately. Please suggest best suitable tire which has good grip. My running will be mostly in City only. Which tire i should go for? How about MRF? Nearby tire shop suggested me the Ceat. As per him its very good. Also should i upgrade the size? Will it impact on bikes average? Do i need to make any changes? Cost is not a issue.

It should also look good on my Pulsar. I really like the stock pattern of MRF. Please suggest best tire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKis (Post 3266127)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKis (Post 3271558)

Jay, i bought the PSD in 130 profile last month from Millivision Marketing (near Lalbagh rd, Blore) for 5.5k. They also had stock of michelins (6.5k for 130 profile) and PSD's in 110 profile. Do check them out.