Team-BHP - Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Motorcycle Tyres : Compared! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/120107-motorcycle-tyres-compared-22.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 3333817)
Please suggest best tire.

Buddy, I would strongly recommend Michelin Sirac for you. It has the best grip be it in Loose sand/tar/wet roads. Do check it out. I have been using it on my Unicorn and have done 8 K kms without any regret.

Cheers

Looking for a replacement for my pulsar 180 UG4 rear tyre. Currently it is running on PSD 130/70. I remember getting it for about 3.5k. I was extremely happy with the performance. Only issue that i got had is the poor life (it had run about 12K). Air is leaking in like 3 or 4 places, very minute though, the pressure goes down about 5PSI every week, not sure if it is a good option to patch them all up.

The other issue that i noticed with this tyre is that, grip levels are very good in wet and dry conditions, but in slush/mud it is utter rubbish. Many at times i can see the rear wheels spinning trying to get some grip. This was when my neighborhood was dug up for the laying of sewage pipes, now new roads are laid and i have to change the tyres :Frustrati.

I was looking for a replacement PSDs, couldnt find it anywhere (yet to try it at Tyrestore though). Enquired about a Michelin pilot sporty 120 tyre costing about 5.5 in XL tyre point :Shockked:. Has the prices increased so much?. I remember getting my front PSD 110/90 R17 at about 3.7 at tyrestore about 8 months ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knaveen (Post 3335903)
I remember getting my front PSD 110/90 R17 at about 3.7 at tyrestore about 8 months ago.

I still have my PSD going strong after 17.5K. Decent tread is left.

And yes, after this dollar rate fiasco, tyre prices have shot through the roof!

Looks like sorry state of affairs for 18"department. Pulsar 180cc 1st Generation 100/90x18 rear Tyre very few choices available. Preference was for either CEAT Zoom or Michelin Sirac Street but Offered today were Sirac Street, CEAT zoom was there, but not Rear, only plenty of front Tyres at Lal! Liked the design and grooves on them instead of the now generic looking dirt bike Tyre design! Guess probably inspired by our screwed up roads! One would think the world would end if India had smooth roads! Then MRF Zapper Q!

Prices quoted:
1. Michelin Sirac Street = Rs. 2190/
2. CEAT Zoom = Rs. 2300/-(No Stock)
3. MRF Zapper Q = Rs. 2950/-
Obviously chose the Michelin Sirac Street bcoz trust Michelin any day and Tyre wallahs all say it's the best option so WTH. But would have also taken the CEAT zoom if it was available and grooves seemed good enough to not get only wiped out in the center leaving border grooves alone!

How do you guys think these Tyres fair in the wet and dry grip department after they've run in a couple of kms? By the way note to some or rather many: Do not fiddle around and test grip on a brand new Tyre! I simply don't get the cribbing. First things first they have an apt abbreviation RTFM for a reason! Everything is in there from engine oil grade specification to Tyre size to appropriate Tyre pressure. Don't do things out of it and say engine, handling bad, etc, etc.

Chances are:
A. You are on wrong specification Tyres.
B. You did not check wheel for bends or do wheel Truving if spokes before changing Tyre.
C. You are probably running high psi thinking oh the free rolling is better I'll get more mileage.
D. Your alignments are screwed up. Either twisted fork, stay, or frame if older bike and you've had some crashes.
E. Your Tyre is too new to judge what it can actually do.

I do hope these people are wise enough when in cars not to be trying things on new Tyres like going close to the car in front and braking and wondering how come they ended up crashing into them, etc! Lots of logic behind many things. You need to be patient and know what to do when. A lot of guys I know will come and tell me oh these days engines are bad. No mileage! When they THEMSELVES KNOW the TRUTH behind that remark! I'll just leave it at that. Drive sane Friends. Take Care.

Err why am I unable to edit posts? :( Okay just a small correction, Kindly NOTE: The Michelin SIRAC Street 100/90x18 is Rs. 2150/-

Update: Did the wheel truing(spelt truving on shop boards :P) at Border Thottam(Garden, but far from it :P)
Person's Name is Mustafa
Contact Number: +919789825692
Exact Route: When going from Mount Road(Anna Salai) into GP road as you reach the bend before Jaya Pradha Theatre there is a left, take that left and as you reach the very 1st intersection, bang opposite you on the right is the shop in the corner, there is another one in the same street if you go further down on the left, but I have been going here for a couple of years so stuck to this one instead.

Couple of suggestions: Ask him to paint silver if there is no paint/red oxide/rubber coating(and you need the wheels sooner) in the inner part of the rim(spoked wheels). I remember my previous process which was quite tedious but worth the effort which involved after the truing and checking if perfect, putting rubber paint, then letting it dry for a day and then fitting the tyre. Also BEFORE fitting the tyre onto the rim after truing see to it that you let him mount the wheel on the instrument and spin the wheel and show you that there is no jump or rubbing on the side spokes that he uses for checking the same. Very, very slight deviation is acceptable if your rim has been through torture of Chennai roads, but the straighter the better.

I couldn't do this because we had to run to the RTO for the Linea(Horror Story thread Coming Soon) and the tyres were already fitted before we reached. :( As usual I come home and find that the rear rim still has a slight bend! Grrr I hate this Double Work everywhere!

My method of testing either take a scale/plywood piece(those days ice cream sticks were my favorite ruler lol) hold onto shocks or fork with the stick extended almost touching rim border and spin the wheel and watch the rim if it rubs and leaves the edge in different places ensuring there are indeed bends. I check this with my finger extended sometimes.

Things to Check if your bike is wobbly/jumpy in nature and tends to have a slight swerve on turns especially with pillion:
First check Tyre tread, lot of people think the side treads are good so no need to change the tyre! WRONG! That grippiness and jumping is not there without reason. Change the tyre you'll figure out what I'm talking about. Does the bike roll more freely now? See!

Slowly spin the tyre and check to see if your tyre beading line is not deviated anywhere in distance from rim border. They usually seat this by putting soap water(if not kerosene/oil) and then over inflating till there's a "pop"(no not the tube exploding! Relax!) and then deflating to correct pressure.

Put vehicle on center stand and grip the rear wheel tight and shake it, check if there is any Stay Bush Play and/or shock absorber weakness/bush shake(both near the seat and on the stay) and change if faulty or if you feel the wheel alone shake with a "tuck tuck" sound it's your wheel bearings. Oh and check your wheel rubber for play or if cut and sprocket too if there's no shake while you are about it because after fitting you cannot do this. Off the stand, With back brake pressed you can put the gear and release(with brake STILL applied) and see if there's sprocket play too if wheel is already fixed(without chain guard). Almost same process for front wheel, except the obvious ones and do check your disk plate for bend, uneven wear, deep gashed lines, if old and check if calliper is tight on the fork, and if brake pads are bad, PLEASE change it.

Check alignment by asking someone else to ride your bike in a straight line squat and look if the front and rear wheel are aligned and are not too misaligned. Fork, handle bar, Stay and Frame Bend can be checked and rectified to ensure everything is good and save your NEW costly tyres from getting wrong/uneven wear and probably even YOU from donating blood on the road. I know too much information instead of talking about tyres, but IMPORTANT nonetheless in regards to riding and tyre care.

Cheers! Take Care and God Bless.

Michellin launches new range of tyres for Motorcycles having engine of 250cc or more.

Quote:

Michelin has launched a new range of radial tyres for bikes above 250cc in the Indian market. These are available in two segments - Pilot Street Radial for motorcycles between 250-500cc and Pilot Road 2 for bikes above 500cc.

The Pilot Street radial tyre is available in sizes of 110/70 R17 for the front and 130 and 140 section 17 inch tyres for the rear. All are 70mm profile tyres. These tyres can be used for bikes like the Kawasaki Ninja 250, Ninja 300 and Honda CBR 250R. They are priced from Rs 4,502 to Rs 5,927.

The Pilot Road 2 tyres for bikes above 500cc are also available in three sizes – 120/70 ZR 17 for the front and 180 and 190 section 17 inch tyres for the rear with 70mm profiles. These tyres can be fitted to bikes like the Ducati Monster, Suzuki Bandit, Triumph Speed and Street Triple, BMW R1200 ST and many more. Prices of the Pilot Road 2 tyres start from Rs 8,772 and go up to 12,808.
http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...l-tyres/17633/

Hi all,

The 150/60 R17 MRF RevZ on my Duke is 11k old and I'm thinking of changing it to something with more grip. Metzelers are ruled out simply due to the cost.

My primary requirement is good grip. I'm tired of losing grip mid corner especially on broken roads. (Do we have any other kind of road in bangalore?!)

Life expectancy is 10K.

I normally prefer knobby tires because they work better on broken roads. I do not mind downsizing to 140 if need be. Saw a Vee Rubber shod Duke on the forum and loved it.

If nothing works out, I'll have to get stock MRF.

Any options? I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks all!

Not too sure if this is the right section to put forward this query, I already have part response from Man_of_Steel, still as this is a tire section, putting this out again.

Query regarding the Bullet 500's tires

The front wheel is of 19" [90/90 - 19" - 52P] and the rear wheel is of 18" [120/80 - 18" - 62P]

I am looking for Tire tubes for emergencies.

> Are these sizes available in the open market?
> How to get hold of these? (currently not available in Pune, PCMC)
> If 120/80 - 18" is not available, then what is the best safest option to go for?

Kind regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by knaveen (Post 3335903)
Looking for a replacement for my pulsar 180 UG4 rear tyre. Currently it is running on PSD 130/70. I remember getting it for about 3.5k. I was extremely happy with the performance. Only issue that i got had is the poor life (it had run about 12K). Air is leaking in like 3 or 4 places, very minute though, the pressure goes down about 5PSI every week, not sure if it is a good option to patch them all up.

The other issue that i noticed with this tyre is that, grip levels are very good in wet and dry conditions, but in slush/mud it is utter rubbish. Many at times i can see the rear wheels spinning trying to get some grip. This was when my neighborhood was dug up for the laying of sewage pipes, now new roads are laid and i have to change the tyres :Frustrati.

I was looking for a replacement PSDs, couldnt find it anywhere (yet to try it at Tyrestore though). Enquired about a Michelin pilot sporty 120 tyre costing about 5.5 in XL tyre point :Shockked:. Has the prices increased so much?. I remember getting my front PSD 110/90 R17 at about 3.7 at tyrestore about 8 months ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by preetam_KORG (Post 3336551)
I still have my PSD going strong after 17.5K. Decent tread is left.

And yes, after this dollar rate fiasco, tyre prices have shot through the roof!

Finally changed the tyre to a MRF RevZ s 130/70 R17 radial. Costed 4k. Looks good. Yet to see how it fares:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by knaveen (Post 3376337)
Finally changed the tyre to a MRF RevZ s 130/70 R17 radial. Costed 4k. Looks good. Yet to see how it fares:)

Sorry to say this mate, but whichever city this is, you have been ripped!

Quote:

Originally Posted by preetam_KORG (Post 3376341)
Sorry to say this mate, but whichever city this is, you have been ripped!

I did have a feeling of this. But the other shops which i inquired did not have proper machines to fit and i HAD to change the tyre today. There was a nail in the older tyre and was leaking in like 3 other places. The Zapper vyde was quoted at 3.5k. This is a MRF outlet in Adambakkam Chennai. Many outlets did not have the RevZ S in stock.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by knaveen (Post 3376443)
I did have a feeling of this. But the other shops which i inquired did not have proper machines to fit and i HAD to change the tyre today. There was a nail in the older tyre and was leaking in like 3 other places. The Zapper vyde was quoted at 3.5k. This is a MRF outlet in Adambakkam Chennai. Many outlets did not have the RevZ S in stock.:Frustrati

Better to be safe and have a slightly lighter pocket in the process.
Ride safe mate!

Just to add a little more salt to the injury, I got my PSD for the rear at the same price! stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by preetam_KORG (Post 3376488)
Better to be safe and have a slightly lighter pocket in the process.
Ride safe mate!

Just to add a little more salt to the injury, I got my PSD for the rear at the same price! stupid:

:Shockked:. I checked PSDs in the shops i bought earlier, they said there is some ISI issue and none had it in stock. The Michelin Pilot sport radials were quoted about 5.5k. Assumed PSDs would cost the same. Should've checked further.:Frustrati

Need help to find new rear tyre for my Cl500.
Was runnning Michelin Sirac's 120 80 18 (loved the tyres for nice grip) for about 30k kms but they have worn out flat in the middle. The Michelins are not available anymore.

Here in Pune the options available are:
MRF Zapper (the woefully useless stock tyre):Have it lying with me but dont want to use it one bit.
CEAT something: reviews please
TVS tyre: reviews please
Pirelli Sprort Demon (tubeless but can be used with tube): reviews please.

Are there any other options apart from the ones mentioned above?
Which one is closest to the Sirac in terms of performance?
Headed for Goa end of month with wifey as pillion so need them on a somewhat urgent basis.

Thanks in advance.

came to know of 2 more tyres available
Birla tyre and Dunlop. are they any good?