Team-BHP - Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Motorcycle Tyres : Compared! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/120107-motorcycle-tyres-compared-25.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3443637)
Ya both are tubeless.These are not for Leh ladhak. They can handle bit off roading but nothing more. But on tarmac they grip like leech in both dry and wet conditions. Last for 20-25K kms depending on driving conditions

The numbering meaning is same for cars and bikes :)

I am sure that the grip levels would be excellent, as you rated them very good in the previous review too, but won't 90/80 (F) and 100/80 (R) will a downsize over the stock size which is 100/80 & 100/90? Immediate effect of this will be error in speedo readings. Anything else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3443680)
I am sure that the grip levels would be excellent, as you rated them very good in the previous review too, but won't 90/80 (F) and 100/80 (R) will a downsize over the stock size which is 100/80 & 100/90? Immediate effect of this will be error in speedo readings. Anything else?

Yea you will get a bit of speedo error! But hey the grip levels will be awesome. Or you can go for R15 V2 front tyre - Zapper FY1 in 90/80-17. Your speedo also intact and grip level even more because of bit wider contact patch

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3443738)
Yea you will get a bit of speedo error! But hey the grip levels will be awesome. Or you can go for R15 V2 front tyre - Zapper FY1 in 90/80-17. Your speedo also intact and grip level even more because of bit wider contact patch

As you said, I was considering MRF Zapper FY1, but that comes in 90/80, where as the stock size is 100/80, which means 80mm of side profile. A 90/80 tyre means a 72mm side profile which means some speedo erros will be induced. Though, the tire change is not due anytime very soon, but I hope that some good tires are introduced in stock size for my bike. Thanks a lot for patiently looking into all my queries.:)

Regards,
Saket

My experience with the Ceat Secura Sport tyre (button type) on rear wheel of RTR180:
1) It does not corner well as other tyres. Although nothing very serious to complain unless you corner very hard.
2) The tyre is good in slush for sure. Also on gravel its good but dont trust your luck beyond a limit.
3) On road in wet conditions the tyre is better than crappy stock TVS tyres, it does not slip but at the same time it does not inspire confidence to be fast. Till now I never had slips but I drive very safe on wet roads.
4) On dry roads the grip is ok, hmm braking is a bit tricky but we can expect it to have some less grip on-road as its a button type tyre.
5) The biggest problem with this tyre is it follows the ridges on the road which run parallel to the direction of motorcycle travel. So you might find the bike pulling you in the direction of the parallel ridges (usually these ridges on road are formed during road reconstruction).
6) Its not a soft compound tyre so better protection against any punctures. Being tubeless repairing will be easy too.

If you are the one who does not often go off-roading/bad roads and drive mostly on tar roads, I would suggest to go for normal tread tyres (rather than button type).

I'm looking to buy MRF Zapper C, TL, 140/70-17 for over 4+ months (yes FOUR MONTHS) now & I'm unable to find one at MRF exclusive & T&S shops in Chennai.

Tried online as well & couldn't find one that sells 140, but 110.

Other option is to settle with Dunlop, which I want to try something else this time. Michelin's are way too expensive for my usage. Another & last option is to settle with CEAT Dhoom 3, but, MRF being TL, I have a great faith in it.

Please help! Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 3450593)
I'm looking to buy MRF Zapper C, TL, 140/70-17 for over 4+ months (yes FOUR MONTHS) now & I'm unable to find one at MRF exclusive & T&S shops in Chennai.

Tried online as well & couldn't find one that sells 140, but 110.

Other option is to settle with Dunlop, which I want to try something else this time. Michelin's are way too expensive for my usage. Another & last option is to settle with CEAT Dhoom 3, but, MRF being TL, I have a great faith in it.

Please help! Thanks.

That size is very rare and dealers won't stock it. Suggest you go for Michelin. Although costly, extra money spent on two wheelers tyre is never waste. More grip the better

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3450873)
That size is very rare and dealers won't stock it. Suggest you go for Michelin. Although costly, extra money spent on two wheelers tyre is never waste. More grip the better

I'm aware of Michelin & I don't want that "extra" grip; I'm not sure & hence asking, do Michelin offer a Radial tire in that size? Because, MRF is Radial & I've seen how MRF Radial performs in 110/70-17 for over 40000 Km in 2 sets of tires.

Plus, I've seen a MRF 140/70-17 fitted to C250R here in Chennai, unfortunately that was at ASC & hence couldn't talk to the owner to find out where it retails.

Hence asking here if someone could help. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 3451100)
I'm aware of Michelin & I don't want that "extra" grip; I'm not sure & hence asking, do Michelin offer a Radial tire in that size? Because, MRF is Radial & I've seen how MRF Radial performs in 110/70-17 for over 40000 Km in 2 sets of tires.

Plus, I've seen a MRF 140/70-17 fitted to C250R here in Chennai, unfortunately that was at ASC & hence couldn't talk to the owner to find out where it retails.

Hence asking here if someone could help. Thanks.

What Michelin offer in that size is Radial !

I can check with few dealers in Bangalore if that size is available in Zapper C

I have been using Dunlop since a long time. The threads do not wear out easily. However the tyres tend to get hard after a year. This is very scary under hard braking as the wheels skid off the line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3451171)
What Michelin offer in that size is Radial !

Super saar

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3451171)
I can check with few dealers in Bangalore if that size is available in Zapper C

Fantastic; thanks & much appreciated. I don't mind riding to BLR to collect the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Servegaar (Post 3451217)
I have been using Dunlop since a long time. The threads do not wear out easily. However the tyres tend to get hard after a year. This is very scary under hard braking as the wheels skid off the line.

Wow; how long? Because I've been using Dunlop for last 17000+ Km & it started developing weak spots causing the tire to puncture. The RevZ in the front is working dutiful for nearly 20000 Km & I'm sure it can withstand another 2K easily. OTOH, I've used MRF Tube type (without tube ofcourse) for more than 22000 Km with one issue in the last 4000 odd Km that it looses air from the side walls for no apparent reason.

Correction - It's MRF Zapper S (not Zapper C) RADIAL & tubeless tire

Wow; how long? Because I've been using Dunlop for last 17000+ Km & it started developing weak spots causing the tire to puncture. The RevZ in the front is working dutiful for nearly 20000 Km & I'm sure it can withstand another 2K easily. OTOH, I've used MRF Tube type (without tube ofcourse) for more than 22000 Km with one issue in the last 4000 odd Km that it looses air from the side walls for no apparent reason.[/quote]

It has done 24000 kms of rural roads and it has had only one puncture till date. The tyre pressure however needs to be checked on a weekly basis.

which will be the grippest tyre I can put on Unicorn ? This is for the rear tyre and I am ok with a thread life of 10K - 15K, but the tyre should perform well in tarmac and in gravel \ slush conditions.

The current tyre is Michelin Pilot Sports and though the tyre have amazing grip in tarmac, the less said about the gravel \ slush the better. Coming from M45, Pilot sports have been a huge disappointment - I am looking for something similar to M 45.

Thanks
--Anoop

Wanted to ask a general question to tyre gurus!

Is is necessary to have a thicker section rear tyre than the front? Will there be any issues in stability or anything else if we use a thicker section front tyre than the rear?

For eg. The MRF Zapper Vyde for rear is available in 100/90. Will it be okay to club it with a tyre like FY1 which is 110/80?

Hello,

I am looking for the following (preferably Dunlop)

1) 3.50.18
2) 3.00.18

Any idea if this size is still available - any where in Bangalore

Also can some one advise if the comparable sizes in Radial available, if so which brand and what is the size ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram