Team-BHP - Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Motorcycle Tyres : Compared! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/120107-motorcycle-tyres-compared-24.html)

I am going to buy Michelin Sirac Street today or tomorrow - thanks for the help guys!

--Anoop

Hi,
I need to change my 2005 Thunderbird rear tyre. What are options for 19'? I tried couple of places but couldn't found even MRF Nylogrip plus (which is my existing tyre). I can manage to get the same but now I am willing to change to some aggressive block pattern tyre.

Please help me out on this.

Thanks,
Pradip.

Any reviews of Michelin Pilot Street Radial 140/70R17 ( 66H P. STREET RAD R TL/TT).
I'm looking for a tire change from IRC 140/17 R17 for Honda CBR250R.
IRC was indeed a good tire, but a lot of micro punctures creating a big loss of tire air pressure.

I'm interested to know the wet grip of these new tires, especially in muck and mud.

Its the only option available for me, so will be changing in a day or 2.

I will be soon replacing the rear tyre of my Classic 500 Desert Storm. Is it advisable to go for a tubeless rear tyre?

Also, what brand should I look for? I don't intend to upsize or downsize.

Try MRF Meteor in 110/90-19. That is roughly 4 X 19 compared to your existing 3.50 X 19.

I have this tyre. Absolutely rugged and puncture proof. Poor braking on tarmac though at higher speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pradipk (Post 3404130)
Hi,
I need to change my 2005 Thunderbird rear tyre. What are options for 19'? I tried couple of places but couldn't found even MRF Nylogrip plus (which is my existing tyre). I can manage to get the same but now I am willing to change to some aggressive block pattern tyre.

Please help me out on this.

Thanks,
Pradip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by //M (Post 3415311)
I will be soon replacing the rear tyre of my Classic 500 Desert Storm. Is it advisable to go for a tubeless rear tyre?

Also, what brand should I look for? I don't intend to upsize or downsize.

You can use a tubeless tire if you find one to your liking, but you will have to use an inner tube in it.

Rims with spokes in them cannot seal air pressure in so the tube is a must.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3415681)
You can use a tubeless tire if you find one to your liking, but you will have to use an inner tube in it.

Rims with spokes in them cannot seal air pressure in so the tube is a must.

Thanks ArizonaJim.:)

I will stick to tube tire and won't upsize or downsize. So, what brand tire should I go for? The stock tire is a MRF.

I'm surprised by the tyre wear of the Contigo. It's done more than 10 k, and the tyre wear looks almost negligible. Since it's a stock tyre for CBR, I was expecting a softer compound, instead I get a hard wearing tyre.
God, I miss the grip of Revz. It gripped like anything till it was replaced. But I hardly had any option two years back, and being a stock, I expected Contigo to be good( grip level).

I've been experiencing slight vibrations at a certain speed. I checked with the Service center, according to the mechanic, the rear tyre is the culprit.
Experts, please throw some light on this issue.

Michelin Pilot Sporty (Made In India)

Application:Rear
Commonly available sizes: 120/80-17
Cost:Price varies between 2500-3300 rupees.

I had used and reviewed a Made in Thailand pilot sporty above. I was on look out for 110 or 120 section tyres since the zapper vyde was almost at its end of usable life. I chanced upon this 120 section,Indian made Pilot Sporty . Since i was very happy with the previous Pilot Sporty,I purchased this immediately. I was damn sure that the grip levels would be as awesome as my older pilot sporty. But how wrong i was!!The dry grip is good but nothing exceptional.Brakes well and corners well too. But the wet grip is where this tyre disappoints. It does not grip well and hardly inspires confidence. Throw in a slightest amount of muck and the wheels go spinning.I would say this tyre is downright dangerous in muck after the rains but better in a full blown downpour.

Clearly the tyre compound has been altered to suit the mileage oriented Indian junta.I see negligible tyre wear at 10,000 kms whereas its softer, Made in Thailand counterpart had worn down half by 10K mark.This tyre will last 20K plus easily.

I would prefer zapper vyde which is a true all-rounder over this!

Pros:
Good dry grip
Good cornering ability in dry condition.Holds its line during the turn.

Cons:
Bad wet grip and mediocre grip in slushy conditions.

Dear Sagar,

Had been reading your wonderful reviews of different tyres. Good work indeed. Just was amazed that how many kms. you have actually ridden (& changed tires) so that you can review so many tires? But that is all our gain.:)

I would like to ask about tires for my bike. I have been riding the Honda Stunner for about 3.5 years now and it has done about 21K kms on the stock TVS tubeless tires. I ride about 20-25 kms each day. Still there is good amount of tread remaining on them.

I have 2 questions, so kindly look into them:

1. I know it depends a lot on the riding style, but what is the average life of bike tires in normal road conditions?

2. Also, please suggest me a set of tires that I should look for while next change. I don't have a problem with them wearing fast, but I need good dry & wet grip. Also, I may plan a ride to the Himalayas sometime in future in this bike, hence please suggest a tire which can be suitable for that terrain too. In city, my regular commuting is mostly on good to average roads.

Regards,
Saket

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3443562)
Dear Sagar,

Had been reading your wonderful reviews of different tyres. Good work indeed. Just was amazed that how many kms. you have actually ridden (& changed tires) so that you can review so many tires? But that is all our gain.:)

I would like to ask about tires for my bike. I have been riding the Honda Stunner for about 3.5 years now and it has done about 21K kms on the stock TVS tubeless tires. I ride about 20-25 kms each day. Still there is good amount of tread remaining on them.

I have 2 questions, so kindly look into them:

1. I know it depends a lot on the riding style, but what is the average life of bike tires in normal road conditions?

2. Also, please suggest me a set of tires that I should look for while next change. I don't have a problem with them wearing fast, but I need good dry & wet grip. Also, I may plan a ride to the Himalayas sometime in future in this bike, hence please suggest a tire which can be suitable for that terrain too. In city, my regular commuting is mostly on good to average roads.

Regards,
Saket

Dear Sanket, thank you for your appreciation. I have completed 65K kms on my Pulsar. The bike is on 4th set rear tyre and 3rd front tyre :)

Coming to your questions.

1. Average life mainly depends on compound of the tyre and riding conditions. A hard compound tyre like TVS,Birla,dunlop, Contigo will last 30K kms easily.

2. Himalayan terrain requires different type of tyres. Those which have button type pattern. Ceat Gripp,Vertigo are very good in this.These are available for both front and back. These provide grip in the dusty and gravel roads of the Himalayas. They also provide decent grip in dry and wet.

For city i would prefer a softer compound tyre .Since yours is a stunner, i presume it has a 100 section rear tyre?If so, go for Zapper vyde. Its a truly all-rounder tyre. I have seen zapper vyde in 110 sections which will be a perfect fit for your bike. But i am not sure if it was tubeless. The grippiest rear tyre will be of the R15 V1 rear tyre- Zapper S and 100/80-17 size . Grips like a leech! For front tyre go for the R15 V2 front tyre - Zapper FY2 in 90/80-17 size

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3443568)
The grippiest rear tyre will be of the R15 V1 rear tyre- Zapper S and 100/80-17 size . Grips like a leech! For front tyre go for the R15 V2 front tyre - Zapper FY2 in 90/80-17 size

Thanks Sagar. The size of Front/ Rear tires are 80/100-17 - 100/90-77 mm. Also, I would prefer tubeless tyres. Kindly suggest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3443600)
Thanks Sagar. The size of Front/ Rear tires are 80/100-17 - 100/90-77 mm. Also, I would prefer tubeless tyres. Kindly suggest.

For city -

Front - Zapper FY2 90/80-17 (R15 V2 front tyre)
Rear - Zapper S 100/80-17(R15 V1 rear tyre )

Grippiest combo

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3443608)
For city -

Front - Zapper FY2 90/80-17 (R15 V2 front tyre)
Rear - Zapper S 100/80-17(R15 V1 rear tyre )

Grippiest combo

Thanks again. Are they both tubeless? And can I expect decent performance on the hills, if the need arises? Also, please tell me what the numbers in tyre size means like 80/100, etc. I know about car tires, if that helps. Is 100/90 = 100 mm of width (road contact area) with 90% of 100mm being the side profile?

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3443611)
Thanks again. Are they both tubeless? And can I expect decent performance on the hills, if the need arises? Also, please tell me what the numbers in tyre size means like 80/100, etc. I know about car tires, if that helps. Is 100/90 = 100 mm of width (road contact area) with 90% of 100mm being the side profile?

Ya both are tubeless.These are not for Leh ladhak. They can handle bit off roading but nothing more. But on tarmac they grip like leech in both dry and wet conditions. Last for 20-25K kms depending on driving conditions

The numbering meaning is same for cars and bikes :)