Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which gear less scooter would you buy ?
Honda Activa 56 31.82%
Honda Dio (New) 20 11.36%
Hero Maestro 6 3.41%
TVS Wego 38 21.59%
Suzuki Access 125 56 31.82%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 13:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
You are wrong on this the access has the best pickup in the segment because of its torquey engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Plus 1 . Service is also good, I get reminder phone calls from the service station for service dues. Go for Access 125.
+1 to the above views. The Access has the best pickup among automatic scooters sold in India now. Period. And the pickup is quite linear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavDesai View Post
Hi 90BHP,

My brother-in-law has been driving a new Suzuki Access for last 3 months. He previously had the old generation Kinetic Honda. While he praises the Access in general, he says Access tends to jump, sort of sudden acceleration pickup, not linear as it should be.
Please drive it yourself and come to your own conclusion. What he's told you is incorrect. I have 2 Accesses with my kids, and my nephew has an Activa. The consensus among the kids is that the Access trumps the Activa in pickup and ride quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
I had put the access as the last min option here. Whats the claimed mileage for it? I read on some review online that it gives 50+ which was hard to believe actually. Also is the acces still available or i need to gor the swish instead.
We get 40kmpl out of in-city driving on crowded Hyderabad roads, where we often revv the throttle to close a gap in traffic. We've never driven it on highways, but on a long Sunday drive, we got 45 kmpl.

Here's where the Access beats the Acvita:-
  1. Better pickup
  2. Higher GC. Have not scraped a speedbreaker so far, even with double load. We used to face horrors with the Activa in similar situations.
  3. Better ride quality on account of telescopic front suspension.
  4. Lesser waiting time
The Activa is better in :-
  1. Better headlamp focus. In the Access it is too dissipated, while the Activa focuses on a single spot better
  2. Marginally better fuel efficiency
  3. Better re-sale
I suggest you also take a look at the TVS Wego.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 14:03   #17
BHPian

My choice would be Activa:
1. We have 2 Activas in my family and it's a niggle free ride. Excellent in-city commuter.
2. My sister owns a Dio and it doesn't have the ride comfort of Activa.
3. There is virtually no waiting now for Activa.

Also get your mom / brother to test ride these rides to see what they are comfortable with. Acceleration / torque may take a back seat for ride comfort / maintainability.

Another choice would be Yamaha-Ray, We had news today about the launch.
Old 15th September 2012, 15:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Going against the drift here, I would suggest the TVS Wego. (In fact, I am picking up one myself for my dad. We are selling the 2005 Activa in favor of Wego).
Reasons:
1. Lightest of the short listed scooters
.....test ride each of the short list. (both with and without pillion if possible). Choose whichever they are most comfortable and at ease with.

I totally agree with abhinav. Wego is a very underrated machine and doesnot get the due respect it should get because of the improper branding.

Tecnologically superior and the best out of all the machines you have mentioned is the Suzuki acces but it has neagative points too considering the users who would be driving this machine.
1) Heavy weight.
2) Lack of flickability
3) Plastic body.
4) Availability of spares and service outlets.
All the above points make it little less preferred especially when you think of old people using it. Its weight and lack of flickability is a concern with old people. TVS Wego gets more points in this context considering the body balance, bigger tyres, excellent suspension and lighter weight.I heard even the known crappy tyres which TVS makes are good enough in this Wego. (They have used soft compound for the Wego tyres so less slips on Indian roads filled with mud, slush and wet.)

Plastic body rattles in long run and can face damages in parking lots too. Sheet metal body parts are good in this context considering they can be dented,painted and they do not rattle because of enlarged holes in due course of time. TVS parts are not costly and the bike would be cheap to maintian. TVS showrooms are ok at least in my place and cost is also ok.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 15th September 2012 at 15:42.
Old 15th September 2012, 18:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I don't think there is any waiting period for Honda twins. Just checked up with 3-4 dealers and all are saying the scooters are on stock. On road price for Activa is Rs.55701/- at Bangalore
One of my colleagues got Honda Activa here in TRivandrum after 8 months! Insane waiting for a model
Old 15th September 2012, 19:13   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

checked with KUN Honda Ashok Nagar Chennai that grey and black Activas are readily available while whites may take upto 15 days .
I visited Vishnu Hero, Maruthi TVS and KUN Honda and found the approach at KUN v.good - break up of rates for all accessories was provided upfront and the ex-showroom price matched that on the honda website.
Old 15th September 2012, 19:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Go for Access . Its any day a better package than Activa . I have ridden Access extensively an I can assure you that . My only concern is the after sales and parts cost . As my friend owns a pretty new Access I have no idea about the parts cost right now , may be some member can throw some light .
Old 16th September 2012, 02:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider
Go for Access . Its any day a better package than Activa . I have ridden Access extensively an I can assure you that . My only concern is the after sales and parts cost . As my friend owns a pretty new Access I have no idea about the parts cost right now , may be some member can throw some light .
Go with Access. Its best in class. Trust me my wife had an activa before at her place and i got her an access after marriage, now she cant ride activa whenever she goea back home. She says access is much smoother fast and lite. Even i prefer to ride my access over my cbr 600, atleast during rains. After sales is also fantastic.
Old 16th September 2012, 08:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Hero Maestro - Have not ridden it yet but just curious to know if anyone has & has any feedback
Have ridden my friends Maestro a couple of times extensively very recently.
  1. The bike seems well planted and sorted out suspension
  2. The seating position is good and comfortable with wide seats
  3. The engine is quite refined and uprated to 110cc but the pickup is not very peppy (might be actually a good thing for elderly riders)
This must be the least worry area since they are all the deraviatives of Honda's original 100cc engine doing duty on Activa, Dio, Pleasure and now in Maestro. So millions of copies sold without any issue. Oh about the bikes existance, it has only been launched recently and was told that it is being available in dealerships in a phased manner, thats all.

Quote:

BTW weight of the bike is also a concern here as my mom also wants to ride it, not sure if she will take it up as a daily ride but count it as occasional for now.
Now since the weight is a concern, would suggest look at Pleasure since it retains all the same qualities (same Honda derived 100cc) of its peers since it is basically a reskinned Activa and most importantly lighter due to fibre body. It has some great dual tone colors too.

My friend's mom replaced her old Activa with Pleasure and is quite happy using it for over a year now.

Firstly let your mom test ride all the shortlisted bikes before deciding!
Old 16th September 2012, 14:31   #24
BHPian

I went ahead and booked Honda Aviator today. I chose the colour as Rebel Red metallic and the OTR @ BLR is 56708 + accessory worth 4195/. Mostly by tomorrow I will make the full payment and delivery will be on coming saturday as there are few holidays in between.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 18:51   #25
BHPian

I personally have not driven the Wego and Access.

I have a 9 year old Activa with 60K on the Odo, and it performs amazingly well even now.

Activa was my primary ride when I first bought it. Used it extensivel for almost 5 years until I bought my first car. Now Activa is used only in the weekends for vegetable shopping. But even now she performs very well.

I can vouch for the long term ownership of Honda Acitva. The engine has probably another 60k life left in it. The engine is almost as good as new even now (These days I do not service it regularly, only once is 12-18 months). Even if I dont start her for 2-3 weeks, she starts easily compared to a neighbours 1 yr old access which has starting troubles if not used for 1 week.

The ride comfort of aviator, access of wego might be better than activa. Though I never found the ride of activa unsatisfactory.
Old 19th September 2012, 19:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went ahead and booked Honda Aviator today. I chose the colour as Rebel Red metallic and the OTR @ BLR is 56708 + accessory worth 4195/. Mostly by tomorrow I will make the full payment and delivery will be on coming saturday as there are few holidays in between.

Thanks
Rajesh
Excellent decision IMO. You get the same engine, same reliability as the Activa along with it's service backup but in a more efficient handler in the Aviator. The Telescopic Suspension is light years ahead of the Linked Arm Suspension on the Activa and is rather exclusive as well. I hope you took the variant with Disks because those Nissin disks are absolutely stunning. The Telescopic Suspension+Disk Brakes make for excellent stopping ability. But the only downside is your mother may take a while to get used to the Disks, but your younger brother will relish the braking power!

A friend picked it up recently and I must say, at 40kmph, it is completely free of any vibes. Flickability is good and you can weave around in traffic rather easily. The boot can house a half face helmet and a few more things rather easily. Again, fantastic choice.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 19:39   #27

My vote is for Access. My dad has an Activa and comparing to it, Access has greater pickup and better fuel efficiency. The Access has clocked 10,000 KM and never gave me any trouble during this period. The only shortcoming I found was the feeling of instability in top speeds(above 70+).
Old 19th September 2012, 20:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Excellent decision IMO. ... I hope you took the variant with Disks because those Nissin disks are absolutely stunning. The Telescopic Suspension+Disk Brakes make for excellent stopping ability. But the only downside is your mother may take a while to get used to the Disks, but your younger brother will relish the braking power!
Thank you dear. I booked the standard variant with drum brakes. Since me and my wife are newbee in this segment wanted to avoid the risk of sudden breaking with disc brakes. Delivery is expected on Saturday.
Old 19th September 2012, 22:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you dear. I booked the standard variant with drum brakes. Since me and my wife are newbie in this segment wanted to avoid the risk of sudden breaking with disc brakes. Delivery is expected on Saturday.
Looks like there's not much of a waiting period as well. The disk brakes would take a while to get used to, but once you do, there'd be no looking back. Congrats on your new bike. Ride safe and enjoy the Honda mill!
Old 20th September 2012, 09:50   #30
BHPian

Access may be a good option in your case, my brother in law using the same, he reported degradation of engine power after using it for one year. I am using a Rodeo RZ, just one month year old. Till now it is good for me(too early to say) I am 85 kg and I touched 87-88 KMPH once.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks