Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 12:38   #136
BHPian

Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Dear All,

I have a couple of queries regarding my Access 125 and request your help:
[list=1] Last couple of days, I am getting a continuous beep sound when I turn the key (scooter is not started yet, I just turn the key to the right). Initially, this was a series of intermittent beeps, but now it is one continuous beep (very feeble, I am unable pinpoint its source)
  1. My Access has run around 25K kilometers. Is this a good time to replace the tyres? As per the owner's manual, only MRF/CEAT tyres are recommended
Old 7th October 2015, 15:17   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ did you get the scooter washed recently?
OR
did the scooter get drenched badly?

If yes , this is the turn indicator flasher beeper.

It is getting a 12v dc supply and hence the noise. Should become ok once the vehicle dries up.

I faced a similar problem when I got my Access water washed.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:50   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ did you get the scooter washed recently?
OR
did the scooter get drenched badly?

If yes , this is the turn indicator flasher beeper.

It is getting a 12v dc supply and hence the noise. Should become ok once the vehicle dries up.

I faced a similar problem when I got my Access water washed.
Thanks. I get the scooter washed daily. Maybe that is the reason.
The beeping disappeared once the scooter dried up.
Old 9th October 2015, 17:48   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

At 25000kms I think it is time for the rear tyre to be replaced.

I had a Nova135 and changed the rear tyre at 19k kms.

Reason: not enough tread left

CEAT/MRF/TVS are all fine as long as it meets the size spec.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:26   #140
Senior - BHPian

I am now in need for tyre change. 4.5 years, 21000 KM done.
The tread is still fine, but the side walls have developed minor cracks.

I read a lot of negative for TVS; perhaps will stick to Ceat or MRF.

Upgrading to tubeless might be a better option - my rims are in good condition. Any particular model of tyre I should look for? I don't mind if they don't last long - need good grip.
Old 13th October 2015, 13:23   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ of the three brands listed , I find the grip of MRF good .Ceat follows and then TVS.
Old 5th August 2016, 19:33   #142
Senior - BHPian

No one is posting anything about their Access anywhere on TBHP?
Well, I have certainly started experiencing a major problem with my Access (4.5 years, 25000 KM now) since November - the engine stalls unless I race it a little bit while slowing down.

So, it is painful to ride the scooter in stop and go situations - which is now normal in Pune traffic conditions.
At every speedbreaker, I need to accelerate a bit, or else risk the engine dying.

I have tried two mechanics so far - and they have tried their best, but there have been no positive results. The only thing they do after repeated visits is to increase the RPM - but that does not help after a couple of days.
The mileage has also dropped down to 35 from the 45 kmpl I had last year. Earlier it was 50.

Now, I will try one more time to get this thoroughly checked. Else I think I will just sell this scooter and buy an Activa.

Edit: This problem started after I switched over to Ceat GRIP tyres - front and rear. The tyres are awesome, but I see that the vehicle needs more efforts to move forward from standstill.

Last edited by S_U_N : 5th August 2016 at 19:35.
Old 6th August 2016, 11:04   #143
BHPian

As long as the tyres are the same size,they will not affect any thing.You might have a clogged air filter or maybe your carburettor needs a clean up and a tune up.
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 16:04   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The engine stalls unless I race it a little bit while slowing down.
A couple of years back I had the opposite issue with my Access 125. After the throttle was released, the RPM used to stay on the higher side and then come down to the normal idling RPM after 15-20 seconds. Had taken the scooter to the A.S.S. and they did some adjustment to the carburetor and throttle cable after which the problem was solved. As mentioned by Abhishek3001, the issue is not related to the new tyres. Looks like your Access 125 also needs some adjustment / servicing of the carburetor and throttle cable.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 23:22   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No one is posting anything about their Access anywhere on TBHP?

I have tried two mechanics so far - and they have tried their best, but there have been no positive results. The only thing they do after repeated visits is to increase the RPM - but that does not help after a couple of days.
The mileage has also dropped down to 35 from the 45 kmpl I had last year. Earlier it was 50.

Now, I will try one more time to get this thoroughly checked. Else I think I will just sell this scooter and buy an Activa.
As your fuel economy has dropped off significantly, the first thing I would change would be the air filter. If a new one can't be found, you or the mechanic can try blowing the dirt out of the old filter.
If the old filter is a paper style and it has become oily for any reason it must be replaced.Simply blowing out or trying to wash a oil fouled paper filter will do nothing to fix it.

The second thing I would do is to change the spark plug for a new one.
You don't need or want a fancy spark plug like a Platinum tip. Just a regular inexpensive plug will work fine.

My web digging says a NGK # CR6HS or a CR6HSA park plug is the right size for your Activa.
Other brands that will work are Bosch UR4AS or Denso U20FSR-L or -U .

These are resister type with a 10mm thread X 12.7mm reach. They require a a 5/8" (16mm) deep socket or the tool that came with the scooter to remove them.

The carburetor float and float chamber valve should be checked to make sure the float has not developed a leak that could allow extra fuel into the float chamber. While there, the mechanic should also check to make sure the float chamber valve is tight. Sometimes the gasket between the valve and the carburetor body will leak which can lead to poor mileage, fouled spark plugs and poor idling.

If you wish to have a mechanic do the work you might print out this post so he can read it. It may help him fix the problem.

Good luck.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 6th August 2016 at 23:24.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 07:29   #146
BHPian

My 2012 access had the exact issues but with old tyres. Two different service centers couldn't solve this issue but the mechanic who takes cares of my unicorn solved the problem. Here is what he did:
1. Got a new air filter Rs.130/-
2. Air intake manifold was changed ( mine had some air cracks ) Rs. 150/-
3. Cleaned the carburetor

Also the underbody was thoroughly cleaned for muck which got accumulated over time due to monsoons.

With the above my mileage is hovering between 42 and 45 since then. The stalling issue also disappeared after the carburetor clean up.
The prices are approx.
Old 8th August 2016, 13:53   #147
Senior - BHPian

On Sunday, got the entire vehicle serviced again (last servicing was on 28 May).

Got the oil changed (again), a new air filter, carburetor cleaning, servicing the clutch, valve adjustment, full underbody and inside wash, etc. He also installed a new spark plug.

Now, the stalling has reduced considerably, but it is not gone (for example, when I approach my ramp while getting into the office parking, if I let go the throttle, the vehicle stops, just like it used to earlier.

The mechanic said that the air filter was wet.
I have driven in flooded areas several times, but is it possible that water can get to the air filter in Suzuki Access?

Last time he mentioned that Access is prone to 'compressor problem', so he actually put a few drops of oil into the compressor and let the scooter run for a few minutes. That generated some smoke for few minutes, which then disappeared.

Last edited by S_U_N : 8th August 2016 at 13:57.
Old 8th August 2016, 15:15   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mechanic said that the air filter was wet.
I have driven in flooded areas several times, but is it possible that water can get to the air filter in Suzuki Access?
How this water enters the box are either through the breather pipe. Or the connecting pipe to the air box. Or the rubber bidding on the box cover.
I changed all these and still had the same problem.

This is an issue with suzuki scooters. My 3yr old swish has this problem since its first year. Now i have drilled holes in the air filter to let any water accumulated to roll out of the filter box.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 08:02   #149
BHPian

Yesterday I got my Suzuki Access serviced from Deccan Suzuki, Pune. When I collected the vehicle, I noticed line item for 3M Petrol Additive (Rs. 71) in the bill.

I had never used additive before and argued against including it without informing me (Appears to be another scam). After some arguments with Service Advisor and at billing counter, I accepted it finally as I was in no mood to waste my time. Service Advisor asked me to empty the contents when I fill more than 2L of petrol. Has anybody used this additive before? Any benefits?
Old 11th September 2016, 16:13   #150
Senior - BHPian

^Don't know about that additive, but I have used Shell premium fuel in the last fill.
My scooter's problem about engine stalling at slow down has reduced by about 60-70%.

There is something in the fuel which my Access likes.

Most Viewed